• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 May Get PS4/X1/PC Cross-Platform Play

vg260

Because I can't be bothered to deal with cheats. They can take how many counter measures they can, but usually the cheats end up winning.

Don't want to deal with that on consoles.

What kind of cheating are you worried about, exactly? Have you experienced such cheating in a fighter online? Wouldn't it be obvious, thus bannable, or easy avoided?

Unless you're referring to in-game exploits, it's impossible to cheat on the PS4/XBO until and unless they have been exploited/hacked. The only exception is when a game allows you to import profile/stats from the PS3/X360 version (e.g. Diablo III).

Either way, my stance on this matter is that as long as console players are given the option to disable crossplay (already the case with SFV), it's all good.

You can use Cronus Max controller convertors on consoles to program long combos for use at the touch of a button, so this supposed cheating for an unfair advantage is just as possible on consoles,with no actual game hacking.

therapist

this would be fantastic

just playing something like rocket league , im on steam and 90% of my opponents are from PSN.
player pool increase is always welcome

SephLuis

Most people on console are probably playing on TVs with 3-4 frames of lag. Is someone who uses a monitor with 0-1 frames cheating as well?

I won't enter the discussion regarding equipment since they are allowed by the game and can be used by both platforms. On PC people can edit a file to disable v-sync in order to decrease the lag on inputs. This is not an option given by the game.

I am not bothered by this, but there's an advantage on being able to react faster. I currently like that both platforms have the same frame delay on input. and it should be kept that way (if it should be 8f or not, other discussion entirely).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Now that i know about the possibility, i need this. This would make the game live for years and years and years

Dinjoralo

If that seriously happens, I will have no qualms about buying this as my first ever Tekken game. Does it have a good tutorial?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If that seriously happens, I will have no qualms about buying this as my first ever Tekken game. Does it have a good tutorial?

Tekken has always had good practice modes for learning moves.

Although its pretty easy to get into for newbies even without those i think.

So less than 1% of the audience for a game like this. :p
That's so false. I'd say 2-3% at most.
Yeah, so that's 1% of the people who play fighting games.

I think anyone who can read frame data for a fighting game would want a low-latency display. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's just 1-3% of the FGC.

Most people who are competitive about fighting games, shmups, FPS, moba, etc. play on low latency monitors. Not T.V.s

I didn't single out TVs as the only display option for consoles.

Momentary

Banned
I didn't single out TVs as the only display option for consoles.

Okay. Doesn't make your comment any less false.

And you're talking about millions and millions of people who play fight games. The hardcore "FGC" is probably less than one percent of the entire population who play fighting games.

My feeling is, only allow PS4 and XB1 cross-play. PC users and their wild west platform are on their own. The (reasonably high) risk of cheating is not worth it.

My feeling is, only allow PS4 and XB1 cross-play. PC users and their wild west platform are on their own. The (reasonably high) risk of cheating is not worth it.
As already said time and time and time again here, cheating in a fighting game on PC is considerably rare.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Cheating in a fighting game is nigh impossible, if the life bars desync the game will disconnect.

Beats

I don't see the draw there at all.

They're expecting the communities to be so small that they need to merge them?

personally I'd like to be able to play against friends online in the same game even if they have a different system than me. Besides expanding the playerbase that's the biggest draw for me.

Son Of D

Settings -> Matchmaking -> My platform only.

It's safe to assume that if T7 has cross-play it'll have that as an option. Besides, the odds of finding a cheater on PC would be rare. Namco would definitely have an eye out for that.

I don't see the draw there at all.

They're expecting the communities to be so small that they need to merge them?

Not so much merging smaller communities, but more bringing everyone together and not segregating them simply because of hardware preference. Instead of having 3 medium sized communities we'll have 1 large community.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think PC gamers are important for community longevity, because console sales tend to be front loaded. PC sales have a better long tail due to more sales.

Obvious cheating seems rare or non-existent in PC fighting games.

As already said time and time and time again here, cheating in a fighting game on PC is considerably rare.

Besides, the odds of finding a cheater on PC would be rare. Namco would definitely have an eye out for that.

It's really the same as virus makers – if there's enough people using a product, hackers will get interested. Opening up Tekken on PC to the other platforms means there's suddenly a rather large (for a fighting game) community, and that's an appealing target for hackers.

Anyway, if they give the option to exclude PC in matchmaking, I'm fine with that.

Son Of D

I never played SFIV on PC, are cheaters running wild there? I've heard nothing from the SFV community. Nothing from DoA either.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Not sure why "cheating would be rare" when cheating has infected all sorts of PC game genres. It's really the same as virus makers – if there's enough people using a product, hackers will get interested. Opening up Tekken on PC to the other platforms means there's suddenly a rather large (for a fighting game) community, and that's an appealing target for hackers.

Anyway, if they give the option to exclude PC in matchmaking, I'm fine with that.
There may in fact be rampant cheating but it's not obvious enough to detract from my online experience. I feel like I'm being outplayed in a believable way when I lose. If there is obvious cheating, blocking individual players shouldn't be that difficult.

I never played SFIV on PC, are cheaters running wild there? I've heard nothing from the SFV community. Nothing from DoA either.

Nope cheating is nowhere near as bad as people in this thread try to make it. I've played over 200 hours on PC in fighting games alone and haven't came across any cheaters. Just alot of people generalizing PC players as cheaters.

Swarna

If you complain about cheating on PC fighting games you're only showing your ignorance on the topic.

Aside from the actual occurrence rate (almost never) what would be the actual point? How exactly would people cheat? The most obvious is using macros for combo execution but then users would only be doing what is already possible in the game, anyways. Outside of that particular aspect of cheating everything else would be too blatant and could be reported/banned promptly with video evidence.

Anyways, Harada should strive for cross-play for obvious reasons. There shouldn't even be a need for an option to filter by platform if everything is working as it should be.

200.gif

:)

I've played several fighting games on PC and in none of them are cheaters rampant. It's nothing more than paranoia. Honestly, I've dealt with more cheaters in Halo 2/3 online multiplayer than I have in all my time playing fighting games. SFV is stuffed full of ragequitters regardless of platforms, though.

Son Of D

Nope cheating is nowhere near as bad as people in this thread try to make it. I've played over 200 hours on PC in fighting games alone and haven't came across any cheaters. Just alot of people generalizing PC players as cheaters.

They aren't. People complaining about them are woefully ignorant of how it actually is.

I've played several fighting games on PC and in none of them are cheaters rampant. It's nothing more than paranoia.

Thought so. I'll admit I haven't heard much of PC cheating in general but I only really hear about it in FPS games like TF2 and Overwatch.

RM8

I don't think I've ever encountered a cheater in SFV, SFIV, MKX, KOFXIII, or any fighter I've played on PC. I don't understand why this argument is a thing in the first place.

No, but the FGC is probably about that percentage of overall Tekken sales.

Point taken. In that case, most people who play fighting games should know better rather than them already knowing lol.

How exactly would people cheat?

As already mentioned, anyone playing SFV online on PC with v-sync disengaged is at an unfair advantage. It's not necessarily cheating, but I wouldn't call it fair play either. The game doesn't officially allow it.

Swarna

As already mentioned, anyone playing SFV online on PC with v-sync disengaged is at an unfair advantage. It's not necessarily cheating, but I wouldn't call it fair play either. The game doesn't officially allow it.

As also pointed out, displays already add variable amounts of input lag.

So do controllers. There is typically 1 frame or more of variance between the fastest and slowest controller PCB's on the market.

Let console players turn off v-sync if they want to, as well. Support higher refresh rate monitors so competitive console players who want the best experience can still turn off v-sync with no tearing if they want to shell out the cash for a good monitor.

Let the rest of the casuals continue on not caring.

As also pointed out, displays already add variable amounts of input lag.

So do controllers. There is typically 1 frame or more of variance between the fastest and slowest controller PCB's on the market.

I agree, but one can always switch to a more responsive display or controller. However, one can't disable v-sync on consoles without the game having the option to do so. If Namco's serious about crossplay, this is something they really need to consider.

I would be so happy if this came into place. I imagine Capcom wouldn't be pleased as this will further tarnish their name in people's eyes.

I can see a lot of mainstream gamers picking T7 over the likes of GG xrd, BB and others due to being niche and no cross-play with X1 and PC.

Because I can't be bothered to deal with cheats. They can take how many counter measures they can, but usually the cheats end up winning.

Don't want to deal with that on consoles.

hahahahahahahahaha I know someone on PS4 who has it set up so all you see is Roll back when you fight him for SFV, hackers everywhere man, trying to say PC only platform to hack is fucking BS...

Mr. X

He could've just said we can looking into it and left it at that but instead seems to be prepping an excuse in advance.

If Skullgirls devs can make you insta lose for trying to playing online with altered health or as boss character Marie, I'd hope a much larger company would figure it out.

Even that was rare.

Top Bottom