• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 GAF Winter Tournament - Begins Jan 6 - Stream, Prizes, Competition & Fun

Sayah

Tournament banner by DEATH

Tekkengaf2.png

Simple banner by AAK

iBkPeFCdc7Qvp.png

Silly banner by Degen

WVy5g.jpg

Ugly banner by Sayah
jiSEe4XnaGt5p.jpg

Welcome to the first ever Neogaf Tekken Tag 2 tournament. We're celebrating winter break with a community tournament for one of the best games ever made. Unfortunately, the tournament is limited to PlayStation Network only. I have to apologize in advance to the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii U players. Let's hope cross-platform online play is more prevalent in the future.

Tournament participants, please read all of the information below and Get Ready for the Next Battle!

inL0wjd0YPzBx.gif

jbfGpw5QSTCYoR.jpg

Tournament Information
This will be a double elimination tournament and will be held on every Sunday and Thursday from January 6th up until February 7th. On both days, the tournament stream will be run from 10 p.m. EST to 12 a.m. EST. If these times are not convenient for any players, then they can hold their matches anytime during the week and report the results in this thread instead. Players are expected to finish their assigned match(es) within the week. If you are unable to play during Sunday or Thursday on the specified times, please indicate ahead of time in this thread. Let your opponent know as well (through PM or PSN messages) and schedule another date with him/her during the week to finish your match.

It is important to note that if an assigned match is not finished within the week, two things will happen. (1) The player that made the extra effort to get the match done will be awarded the victory. (2) The player that is a no-show, didn’t respond to messages and skipped out will be given the loss. In the case that both players do not make any correspondence efforts, BOTH will be disqualified. I do not intend to be rude but I have full intent on finishing this tournament and it will go on with or without you. No one is going to stall the bracket.

Stream
You can see your fellow members fight head to head with streaming provided by Hellix. Access the stream page from http://www.livestream.com/helixgames. The tournament is planned to run every Sunday and Thursday starting from January 10th up until February 7th. Tune in to the stream link on those days from 10 p.m. EST to 12 a.m. EST.

Prizes
Prizes will be provided courtesy of MadCatz and Tekken team project member MarkMan. Thank you sir.
The people that come out in the top three will be awarded prizes.

*Note: Colors may vary.
1st Place - TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 Arcade FightStick TE S+
iiOs6V0NIfwEk.png

2nd Place - TRITTON Kunai Gaming Headset
jh9uLVpCqvAOn.jpg

3rd Place -
Mad Catz Arcade FightStick Bag
jx76EXC7g9fPF.jpg

Schedule & Tournament Progress
Schedule will be updated weekly with eliminations and other content as needed. Refer to the bracket section and the information below to see how each week plays out.

Week of January 6th - Round 1
Beginning round. Creation of winners and losers bracket.
****Note: There will be no stream on Sunday, January 6th. This thread is created on short notice so I do not want to make people rush their matches. There will be a stream on Thursday, though.

Week of January 13th - Round 2

Week of January 20th - Round 3

Week of January 27th - Round 4

Week of February 3rd - Semi Finals and Finals
Tournament is scheduled to and most likely finish by the end of this week.

jWZOSEeGBSZfv.jpg

jfCaBApmkMuuA.png
-----------------------------------
jbhObaNUMaf1ID.png

*Correction: AAK's PSN is AAK0924, NOT AAK0927
jVSuxu4I4N0Aq.png
j3szJHtiBrrkg.png

jxLaDSpFP0ksD.png
jb02XnwgcRzTue.png

jbhJJOGsiER4M4.png
jl8GZvgzkrw8s.png

jrRWo0DwntlOR.png
jj0JS2B0Z1ufu.png

jHiQrIBoz3VLR.png
jr8pA2EWjRdm6.png

jbeTjtnaOHDH0o.png
jcaNWeTJ8qP6W.png

jE42jVhJdVCqu.png
jJANidyqZUUSt.png

jbrmy8wMfo8dXb.png
jbpndIGQyMWTTU.png

jSd1khZJjxa1B.png
jbhyFV4g9W4PNh.png

jyGBoBPJCtMUb.png
j6ofoXF71b2yx.png

jbdhkTMdyvn5kv.png
jTsBOwlyaUx44.png

jJDOD73xmGM5z.png
jcrq4ype6pnLU.png

jdgsLc3gM6hNN.png
jbx65evF8uh9LC.png

jK1uuXUNsx3gl.png

Late comers:
Neogaf Username: kenix - Contestant ID#30 - PSN ID: tinhusau
Neogaf Username: Hyun Sai - Contestant ID#31 - PSN ID: Hyunsai
Neogaf Username: BigBadShamoo - Contestant ID#32 - PSN ID: Bigbadshamoo

jbcMmriPuqicQ1.jpg

Double Elimination tournament.

Standard rules - first one to three victories out of five matches is the winner. For each match, there should be three rounds set. Player that loses a match can change characters for the next match. Winner cannot.

Same rules apply for semi finals and grand finals.

Weekly Matches-
You have one week to finish the matches against your opponent. It is preferable for you to play on Sunday or Thursday during stream time. Otherwise, you can play anytime during the week as long as you get your matches done on time and report the results here. As previously mentioned, failure to report results/updates by both players will result in disqualification for both. If one player made the effort to contact and setup matches, he/she wins the match while the player that slacked off loses the match. I cannot have this tournament lagging behind and need to finish it as scheduled.

Online Issues - I also understand that we have players from all over the world participating including North America, Europe, Australia and Japan. If there is a disconnect, simply repeat the match over again.

Draw’s - In the unlikely chance there is a draw, repeat that match.

Participating in the Stream -
If you are able to participate in the stream, simply be available online on Sunday or Thursday from 10 p.m. EST to 12 a.m. EST. POST your availability in this thread. If your opponent is not available during stream hours, then you also will not be able to participate in the stream. I am still hoping many people show up during stream time and make this a success. Ask your opponent beforehand if they can participate during stream time.

The two opponents that post first for stream participation will go first. Same for second, third, fourth, etc.

jbdNT3U3BxE1jX.jpg

Live Bracket is here.
We have 29 players so byes have been granted to AAK, KDash and Jubs. I have not chosen this. We had three latecomers and now have a total of 32 players. AAK, KDash and Jubs now have opponents to face during Round 1 and will not advance freely to Round 2.

The numbering of the contestants is in chronological order. KDash was the first to sign up for the tournament so he is #1. Onemic was the 24th person to sign up so he is #24, etc.

Please note, the ordering of the bracket is the work of Challonge.com. http://challonge.com/neogaftekkentagtournament2

FINAL BOSS BATTLE

j5W8Uq1P5ewaM.jpg

*MarkMan with the Williams sisters.

MarkMan will be the final boss for this tournament. The player that reaches 1st place will face him on PSN.

ibexAZsWL6gW46.jpg

1. If you want to practice and get better during the tournament, you have many resources available. For one, there is AAK’s very comprehensive and easy-to-follow guide.
Accessible from this link:
http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2012/9/5/the-beginners-guide-to-ttt2-by-aak-unit-1-basics.html

2. There are also video tutorials for various characters on Youtube done by LevelUpYourGame (LUYG) and AvoidingthePuddle (ATP).

3. Finally, TTT2 offers online practice mode. You can always find another player to head to practice with. I am also happy to do practice with anyone online. Just shoot me a PM or PSN message.

In the end, I would like to thank all of the Tekken gaf community and the competitors for making this possible. Let’s have fun and let’s make this tournament a success. Thank you to everyone.

ARCHIVES

Round 1 - Helix vs. Degen -
http://www.livestream.com/helixgames/video?clipId=pla_c0b5fa21-5cec-4ae2-97ba-b504af2ec7d2

Round 1 - Famicom vs. Lumine (off-screen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQs0meH-8U

Round 1 - KDash31987 vs. BigBadShamoo (off-screen cam)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5znDhmFwP0

Round 1 - Losers - KDash31987 vs. mr_boo (off-screen cam)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwbjLxZFai4

Round 1 - Losers - DEATH vs. IHaveCandy (off-screen cam)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FP8mKX0tSg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkkkeKCWDD0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oZ_X7j1yy4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuvX49i92K0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQTlzvWkdw

Round 2 - Winners - Fraeon vs. giancarlo123x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barV1TSOMw4

Round 2 - Winners - DragonSix vs. BigBadShamoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT5TSalmDVw

Round 2 - Winners - Famicom vs. Degen (off-screen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxuQ11-1hMo

Round 2 - Losers - Famicom vs. Ccrook (off-screen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4bHAmQL0N4

Round 3 - Winners - Fraeon vs. AAK -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJiHfiyyskw

Losers Finals - Flying Wonkey vs. defectivelasagna
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/372477738

Grand Finals - Flying Wonkey vs. AAK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-vpUFIIhI (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeGTys8YGlY (Part 2)

Good work on the thread! Rules look good. Can't wait for this start. Gonna try and see if I can get in some extra training before my turn...I don't wanna lose too quickly! Haha.

Okay, I'm probably not really that bad, but I haven't been playing as much lately. Too distracted. Hah.

Whether I win or lose doesn't matter, I'm just happy to be participating and supporting this.

LowParry

I'm currently without a PS3 so I'm looking for options on the get go. I may just end up getting the digital version and have a nice day (this option is most likely going to happen).

AAK

I wish everyone good luck! I'm going in raw!

I also demand a MarkMan or Sayah Bossfight at the end.

Sayah

I sent a PM to a lot of people. Just want to be sure everyone participating knows that tournament has begun.
Good work on the thread! Rules look good. Can't wait for this start. Gonna try and see if I can get in some extra training before my turn...I don't wanna lose too quickly! Haha.

Okay, I'm probably not really that bad, but I haven't been playing as much lately. Too distracted. Hah.

Whether I win or lose doesn't matter, I'm just happy to be participating and supporting this.

Thanks.

Degen

Yeah guys, get ready to fight my Nina/Anna

focus all your strategies on fighting Nina/Anna

'cause that's clearly who I use, as you can see

Nina/Anna

LowParry

Yeah, getting the digital downloaded. Suppose I'll hold off on buying a new system later on or whatever. Who needs to watch movies. Looking forward to playing! Gonna need to lock down my team and roll out hard.

@Degen - I think I'm more afraid of the King/AKing team. Maybe. :D

Sayah

Yeah, getting the digital downloaded. Suppose I'll hold off on buying a new system later on or whatever. Who needs to watch movies. Looking forward to playing! Gonna need to lock down my team and roll out hard.

@Degen - I think I'm more afraid of the King/AKing team. Maybe. :D

Are discs not working for you? Damn, sorry about that.

I wish everyone good luck! I'm going in raw!

I also demand a MarkMan or Sayah Bossfight at the end.

Done and done.

Nina/Anna

Hellix

Nina/Anna

Looks like I play you first, should be an easy win.
Just kidding, I am not good.

Sayah

Are the brackets still in progress, Sayah?

I just created the bracktes through the challonge website and the website randomly sorted everyone's positions/match-ups out.

If anyone doesn't like this method for brackets, we can always use another method. I had originally planned to use avatars in the brackets but then I thought that would end up being a very long process. So I just created players cards using the gaf member avatars instead.

LowParry

They look fine. Just noticed there was someone already placed in the 2nd Round. Ah well. Thursday is going to be my best day as well with the wife so I'll get in touch with the competitors and game on.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Don't know if this is going to work for me- I have to get up early for work and usually stop playing games around 10 pm. :/

Time to get a little practice in today! Hopefully we can do the match today since I won't be back to work until Tuesday night.

Going up against a european, this is gonna be tough for both of us. If the lag is too bad I might just have to forfeit for our sanity and try my luck in losers haha. I'm available for the stream or any other time.

DSix

Banned
Oh yeah! I'm ready for this.
Many USers tho, finger crossed there's never lag.

I'm free on Thursday at the streaming time (at 10pm EST onward to be precise), hope mr_boo is too.

Lumine

Oh man I completely forgot about this. I'm going to get my ass kicked, I haven't played in quite a while.

Going up against a european, this is gonna be tough for both of us. If the lag is too bad I might just have to forfeit for our sanity and try my luck in losers haha. I'm available for the stream or any other time.

As a European I've played against 2 US friends a few months ago and I was surprised how smooth it actually felt. I think it hovered around 3 bars.

Cheddahz

Banned
Totally wish 360 players had a tournament :( but I'm totally going to watch the stream(s) of it! Good luck to everyone and let's see who has the iron fist of all GAF!

Lumine

Oh man, my body isn't ready at all!

So it's 4 am for Central European Time?

Yeah I hadn't realized, but 10pm-12am EST = 3-5am GMT or 4-6 CET. That's a little too late at night. I'm of course willing to hold my matches on other times and I wouldn't mind my matches to be streamed either. Just wanted to point out that the current time is not going to work for me and probably not for most of the other Europeans either.

kenix

Neo Member
Guys is it still to late. I live on the east coast so the time is perfect for me. Well in case its not to late, sign me up. psn is "tinhusau"

Yeah I hadn't realized, but 10pm-12am EST = 3-5am GMT or 4-6 CET. That's a little too late at night. I'm of course willing to hold my matches on other times and I wouldn't mind my matches to be streamed either. Just wanted to point out that the current time is not going to work for me and probably not for most of the other Europeans either.

yeah i think in the case of europe vs usa vs asia it might be best to just organize the match for a time that is fine for both players instead of trying to force the game to the 4am slot :D

Sorry, I've been out of playing tekken for about a month now. So my skills aren't where they should be. Looking forward to playing though.

I'm glad my reward for possibly considering that I win my first match is a date with AAK.

Lyte Edge

What are good days for ya?

It isn't the days so much as it is the times for me. I PM'd Sayah and let him know I was dropping out. Will be glad to stay in if things change, but I don't want to make it difficult for others if not.

Edit: If matches can be played whenever, I'll stay in.

Hyun Sai

Crap, I didn't know of this. I would have entered for the fun, even if I am no tournament material.

Next time for sure !

LowParry

Ccrook, lemme know when is good for you.

I'm good for Thursday time to get our match streamed :D

@Lyte Edge

What are good days for you to play. The wife is free pretty much whenever so if the upcoming weekend is good for you, it works for her. I can have her add ya here soon today. I already got on you my list.

*five minutes with the game after not touching it for months*

Ahhh yes...it's all coming back to me now. Probably says how much I did practice when I was serious...

Lyte Edge

I'm good for Thursday time to get our match streamed :D

@Lyte Edge

What are good days for you to play. The wife is free pretty much whenever so if the upcoming weekend is good for you, it works for her. I can have her add ya here soon today. I already got on you my list.

Just about any day (including today) is good for me this week except for Friday; going out and not sure when I'll be home.

Sayah

yeah i think in the case of europe vs usa vs asia it might be best to just organize the match for a time that is fine for both players instead of trying to force the game to the 4am slot :D

Yeah, sorry, there would be no possible way to satisfy everyone with the time zones. I had to cater to the majority of the people, thus the 10 p.m. - 12 a.m. EST time zone.

But yeah, if these times don't work, simply set another time against your opponent during the week. It's not a requirement to play during stream hours.

It isn't the days so much as it is the times for me. I PM'd Sayah and let him know I was dropping out. Will be glad to stay in if things change, but I don't want to make it difficult for others if not.

Edit: If matches can be played whenever, I'll stay in.

Oh hey Lyte Edge, the 10 p.m. to 12 a.m. times are not mandatory. If you cannot make it during those times, then you can play at any other time during the week.

i lost 1-3 to Devastator :D

won the first match but then he caught up to my schenanigans! :D good game!

Good game! I was so scared after your Feng slaughtered me that first match. I think you even got a perfect on me. Not sure how I was able to come back after that haha.

1-2 bar connection and it was still very playable so for those who are playing others ouside your reigon there's no need to worry.

Fraeon

Soooo... I have no idea where IHaveCandy is from but I'm GMT+2 so arranging this going to interesting to say the least.

Sayah

Soooo... I have no idea where IHaveCandy is from but I'm GMT+2 so arranging this going to interesting to say the least.

I think he got banned. You may have to contact him through PSN

If anyone HAS to drop out, due to some crazy circumstances. Send me a message :3

I'll try to see if I can add three more people without messing up the bracket. It'll be good in the long run so I can have KDash, AAK and Jubs play in the first round as well.

No guarantees but I'll try to mess around with Challonge.

Sayah

Three more people had requested to be added. I was able to add them without messing up the bracket so now we have a total of 32. That was the maximum number of participants anyway so can't take anymore people after this. Check for the updated bracket soon.

AAK, KDash and Jubs also now have opponents. No one is getting a free advance to Round 2. :p

Newcomers:

BigBadShamoo
Hyun Sai
kenix

Three more people had requested to be added. I was able to add them without messing up the bracket so now we have a total of 32. That was the maximum number of participants anyway so can't take anymore people after this. Check for the updated bracket soon.

AAK, KDash and Jubs also now have opponents. No one is getting a free advance to Round 2. :p

Darn...and here I thought that I advanced to round 2 without playing because of how awesome I am. :p

I guess I better get ready to fight soon. I'm usually available any day besides Wednesday and Thursday. The PlayStation 3 is my brother's, so I can only play while he's away. Hah.

If no stream is available, I might still be able to film them...albeit, with only a 480p, 30 fps camera. Heh. I'll also clear out a few replays for them.

...not that watching me play is all that worth it, but I do have some nice customs. Haha.

Sayah

Darn...and here I thought that I advanced to round 2 without playing because of how awesome I am. :p

I guess I better get ready to fight soon. I'm usually available any day besides Wednesday and Thursday. The PlayStation 3 is my brother's, so I can only play while he's away. Hah.

If no stream is available, I might still be able to film them...albeit, with only a 480p, 30 fps camera. Heh. I'll also clear out a few replays for them.

...not that watching me play is all that worth it, but I do have some nice customs. Haha.

Yeah, I would really like to see your customs. :)

Top Bottom