• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me about cutting carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love pasta and rice and bread. However, my wife went to the dietician yesterday and was told that we should be limiting our carb intake. Sounds like it will suck. Then again, I dont want to die early or develop diabetes.

So, please tell me if you have cut carbs, and give me some pointers if you have any. Good websites or books to read? Tasty recipes? Anything goes!

Cut back on your intake of grains (rice, pasta, bread etc). If you are going to eat them, try to have whole grain wheat. This means whole wheat flour is the first ingredient on the package.

edit: And for rice, brown rice is the one you'd want. In general though...just try not to eat so much of those things.

l_c

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
I love pasta and rice and bread. However, my wife went to the dietician yesterday and was told that we should be limiting our carb intake. Sounds like it will suck. Then again, I dont want to die early or develop diabetes.

So, please tell me if you have cut carbs, and give me some pointers if you have any. Good websites or books to read? Tasty recipes? Anything goes!

Maybe you should go back to the doctor and ask him why you cant think for yourself.

Here is a good tip: Be active play sports and work out so you can eat more of bullshit that you seem so fond of.

Triumph

Banned
I stopped eating so much pasta, rice and bread, but offset it by upping my alcohol intake by 100%.

Just kidding, if I upped my alcohol intake by 100% I'd be dead in 20 minutes.

l_c said:
Maybe you should go back to the doctor and ask him why you cant think for yourself.

Here is a good tip: Be active play sports and work out so you can eat more of bullshit that you seem so fond of.

but i play wii fit every once in a while. i thought that was supposed to make me healthy?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Carbs and Calories:

innocent victims of the War On Fat

Indeed

Please don't cut your carbs unless you know what you're doing. ketosis isn't something to fuck with.

EDIT: didn't know diabetes was involved lol. Even then you should more or less study what you can and can't eat rather than ME NO CARBS.

Solaros

My main issue when I started this was not eating enough throughout the day, which in turn made me hungry and crave carbs.

So whenever you start feeling remotely hungry nibble on some fruit or vegetables with some water.

JodyAnthony said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231808&highlight=atkins

here, check this thread I made several months ago concerning atkins. It is long but has a lot of good information about different recipes and methods to reducing your carb intake.

l_c

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
but i play wii fit every once in a while. i thought that was supposed to make me healthy?

Nah...Banging that piece of roast beef you call your
wifes pussy
would probably be a better workout.

Struct09

Just to be clear, carbs won't kill you or give you Type 2 Diabetes. Type 2 Diabetes is closer linked to insulin resistance caused by obesity.

Anyway, while cutting carbs can be useful when losing weight, it's mostly useful because it just causes you to cut calories. In the end, you're better off going with a healthy eating plan that you'll actually adhere to. Banning things from your diet can lead to falling off the bandwagon, so something more important to focus on would be portion control.

One plus to a low carb diet is that you're usually not hungry if you do it right. If you're getting a good amount of fat and protein, you'll likely be satisfied while eating less calories.

Wraith

l_c said:
wifes pussy

Wow. Classy.

On-topic, it's not all about cutting carbs, it's more about increasing the quality of the carbs you eat. You want to limit the insulin spikes that eating "bad carbs" give you. Going to whole wheat breads and pastas is a great step in the right direction. Use sugar substitute for sugar(unless you believe they cause cancer, in which case you should just cut sugar out as much as possible). Basically, stop eating highly processed and refined carbs and start grabbing some that are high in fiber.

Ceres

Banned
I don't think completely cutting something out of your regular diet is a way to live. You're far better off just adjusting to an overall healthy way of eating. Carbs aren't horrible but a lot of people eat way more than they should be while not getting enough protein & fiber.

Ferrio said:
I usually cut carbs with a knife, mmmmm french bread.

haha

I'm on a low carb diet. Then again I also workout a ton. Not so sure how healthy it is to do the diet without some sort of exercise regimen.

l_c

Banned
Wraith said:
Wow. Classy.

On-topic, it's not all about cutting carbs, it's more about increasing the quality of the carbs you eat. You want to limit the insulin spikes that eating "bad carbs" give you. Going to whole wheat breads and pastas is a great step in the right direction. Use sugar substitute for sugar(unless you believe they cause cancer, in which case you should just cut sugar out as much as possible). Basically, stop eating highly processed and refined carbs and start grabbing some that are high in fiber.

040817GDLowCarbBurger4163.jpg

wraith practicing what he preaches....er not.

Pneuzy

Diet's don't work. Exercise. Three meals a day, eight cups of water, don't eat after 7 or 8 (At least 8 hours before you go to sleep, because you need a good rest) and go on an exercise bike every night to burn about 600-800 calories. (usually 20-25 minutes) and when you sleep your body will continue to burn fat.

genjiZERO

Exercise.. If you do you can pretty much eat as much carbohydrate as you want.

If you are interested in lowering your overall caloric intake by reducing carbohydrate intake drop cola, candy, crisps... mainly everything with high fructose corn syrup.

Wraith

l_c said:
040817GDLowCarbBurger4163.jpg

wraith practicing what he preaches....er not.

Again, classy.

I actually wish I weren't so strict about not eating shitty carbs. I haven't had a good, big plate of pasta at a good Italian restaurant for too long.

l_c said:
wifes pussy

hey, welcome to my ignore list

anyway, thanks for the advice people. yeah, we're doing the exercise thing and everything, this is just another step to trying to be healthy and losing weight. We already cut soda and everything and have been eating whole grain pasta and bread. it's not like we're looking to completely cut carbohydrates, just cut them back.

Wraith

rhavec said:
Diet's don't work. Exercise. Three meals a day, eight cups of water, don't eat after 7 or 8 (At least 8 hours before you go to sleep, because you need a good rest) and go on an exercise bike every night to burn about 600-800 calories. (usually 20-25 minutes) and when you sleep your body will continue to burn fat.

20-25 minutes does not equal 600-800 calories unless you are grossly overweight. Even then you're REALLY pushing it.

l_c

Banned
Wraith said:
Again, classy.

I actually wish I weren't so strict about not eating shitty carbs. I haven't had a good, big plate of pasta at a good Italian restaurant for too long.

you're pathetic :lol :lol :lol .

Oh JodyAnthony
maybe you can get wraith to help you put that enlarged clit you call a penis inside your wife.
Afterall... you like people doing everything for you. :lol :lol :lol

l_c

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
hey, welcome to my ignore list

anyway, thanks for the advice people. yeah, we're doing the exercise thing and everything, this is just another step to trying to be healthy and losing weight. We already cut soda and everything and have been eating whole grain pasta and bread. it's not like we're looking to completely cut carbohydrates, just cut them back.

you're completely full of crap. the only exercise you get is when you waddle to that bathroom to take a shit.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the truth is that you should be cutting back a lot of everything, if i understand your dietary habits correctly. it's only through this and exercise that you'll really see any changes, man. i don't think it's wise to completely say "i'm not eating any more of x" when you start a diet, as it's a way to set yourself up for failure--things look too tempting. instead, cut back. keep track of what you eat.

i donnu man. if you want to cut carbs, cut carbs. but there are other ways.

Ripenen

I've been on a sort of modified version of South Beach for awhile and it's actually been pretty easy. I'm diabetic though, so I can't go entirely no-carb without serious and immediate problems. Since I've been doing the diet and getting regular exercise I've cut my insulin dosage by almost half while still maintaining good control of my blood sugar. Not to mention I feel a lot better as well.

To the OP, if you cook there are plenty of low-carb cookbooks out there that might help you find alternatives to your usual meals. I've found a lot of tasty (and easy) meals in the South Beach cookbooks, and if you're interested in learning more you can read Sugar Busters, which explains why those carbs aren't so great for you, rather than just giving you a list of foods that you'll never get to enjoy again.

l_c

Banned
Ripenen said:
I've been on a sort of modified version of South Beach for awhile and it's actually been pretty easy. I'm diabetic though, so I can't go entirely no-carb without serious and immediate problems. Since I've been doing the diet and getting regular exercise I've cut my insulin dosage by almost half while still maintaining good control of my blood sugar. Not to mention I feel a lot better as well.

To the OP, if you cook there are plenty of low-carb cookbooks out there that might help you find alternatives to your usual meals. I've found a lot of tasty (and easy) meals in the South Beach cookbooks, and if you're interested in learning more you can read Sugar Busters, which explains why those carbs aren't so great for you, rather than just giving you a list of foods that you'll never get to enjoy again.

GTFO

SOBE DIET GTFO.

PS GTFO WITH BAD INFO

mrbagdt

Unhappy Meals by Michael Pollan in NYT

Best article I have ever read on nutrition, or whatever you want to call it. I would recommend it to anyone who thinks that they know what the right foods to eat are and what nutrients are most important, because the bottom line is that we really don't know nearly as much about foods as we like to think we do. To much of our beliefs on nutrition are based on fads and trends, and to many 'facts' we are told are based on just bad science.

Also... what was that l_c guy thinking?

Beavertown

Garbage
Bad carbs are refined shit, full of sugar, fat and what not.

So basically, you're gonna want to cut down on fast food and junk food pretty much.

Good carbs come from fruit, veggies and whole grains. Eat as much of that shit as you want.

jtardiou

Banned
mrbagdt said:

Best article I have ever read on nutrition, or whatever you want to call it. I would recommend it to anyone who thinks that they know what the right foods to eat are and what nutrients are most important, because the bottom line is that we really don't know nearly as much about foods as we like to think we do. To much of our beliefs on nutrition are based on fads and trends, and to many 'facts' we are told are based on just bad science.

A+

mrbagdt said:

Also... what was that l_c guy thinking?

very good read, thanks!

KingGondo

Banned
Glad somebody finally posted that Michael Pollan article.

I personally wouldn't subscribe to any doctor who advocates a nutritional approach, unless it's crucial to your health (i.e. cut carbs or YOU WILL DIE). If you enjoyed that NYT article, Jody, you should absolutely read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Pollan.

It goes without saying that everyone should exercise and get physical activity, but Pollan leaves that largely unsaid: he advocates a common-sense approach to eating based on increasing intake of whole vegetables and eating more whole foods in general. The level to which the food industry has duped America into its nutritional fad approach to diets and eating is astounding, and I promise that his book will change the way you look at food, period.

KingGondo said:
Glad somebody finally posted that Michael Pollan article.

I personally wouldn't subscribe to any doctor who advocates a nutritional approach, unless it's crucial to your health (i.e. cut carbs or YOU WILL DIE). If you enjoyed that NYT article, Jody, you should absolutely read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Pollan.

It goes without saying that everyone should exercise and get physical activity, but Pollan leaves that largely unsaid: he advocates a common-sense approach to eating based on increasing intake of whole vegetables and eating more whole foods in general. The level to which the food industry has duped America into its nutritional fad approach to diets and eating is astounding, and I promise that his book will change the way you look at food, period.

cool, i will show this to my wife, thanks!

Cheeto

JoeMartin said:
A super complicated formula 90% of America doesn't understand:

if (caloricIntake > caloriesBurned)
return fat;

Agonizingly difficult to understand, I know.
That's a ridiculously simplistic view. Try running on a treadmill enough to burn every calorie that you ingest...you'll never have any free time, not to mention the whole passing out part. You do not need to count your calories and make sure you cut the difference in daily activity. The more consistently you exercise; the faster your metabolism gets...and that's the real key to weight loss.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
There's a LOT more to it than how many "calories you burn" and how many calories you eat. I burned a shit ton of calories back when I started working out but all I lost was muscle, not fat. I know for a fact that the lowest bodyfat % I ever had was when I had a low carb diet. I didn't do it for very long, but I cut all bread and grain and had a high protein/fat diet. I've never been closer to having a six-pack. And it certainly wasn't the lowest-calorie diet I've ever had. I also coupled it with an exercise regiment of weight lifting and HIIT, which is what I've pretty much been doing for over a year now.

Real pain in the ass diet to maintain, though. I'd say it's good for if you want to lose as much fat as possible for spring break or summer or whatever, but good luck keeping with it long-term.

if (caloricIntake > caloriesBurned)
return fat;

Agonizingly difficult to understand, I know.
I hate when people use these nerdy programming posts to make a point. Especially if it's a bad one.

Slavik81

Cheeto said:
That's a ridiculously simplistic view. Try running on a treadmill enough to burn every calorie that you ingest...you'll never have any free time, not to mention the whole passing out part. You do not need to count your calories and make sure you cut the difference in daily activity. The more consistently you exercise; the faster your metabolism gets...and that's the real key to weight loss.
Of course it's simplistic. It's true.
But, of course, you already agree with him in your post, so I have no idea why you're calling his view simplistic. You've just added the cravat that your body burns calories over the course of a normal day even if you don't exercise. I don't see where he implied that this was not the case.

Mass/Energy in has to equal Mass/Energy out to prevent weight gain. Of course, there's more to your health than just your weight, but it's a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom