• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me what you know about Lego.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It's super expensive and for a long time now not for kids anymore - adults on a nostalgia trip buy it to build it once and put if somewhere to show off.

It still absolutely is for kids but with the right sets and approach. Start any young kid with one of those mixed boxes of basic pieces and encourage them to build and create things on their own (help them!). Then you can start introducing sets like city, pirates, space etc. When sets are built dont put them on a shelf to collect dust. Eventually take them apart and put them in a big box or several small boxes with peices sorted by color or shape. Continue to encourage building and creating with those new pieces. Wait for licensed stuff until they are older.

LimanimaPT

Lego is great, but is an expensive toy.
It's for people of all ages.
Whe I was a kid I loved Lego, and as an adult I started buying sets out of nostalgia maybe. I still love them and I have a considerable collection of around 200 sets.
My favorites are the Starwars ships and I collect the Winter Town sets.
The problem with lego is that it is expensive. Lego should be carefull because the chinese clones already have the same quality and are one third the price if not less. You can only tell the difference because chinese legos don't have "Lego" written on the studs.

Lego is great, but is an expensive toy.
It's for people of all ages.
Whe I was a kid I loved Lego, and as an adult I started buying sets out of nostalgia maybe. I still love them and I have a considerable collection of around 200 sets.
My favorites are the Starwars ships and I collect the Winter Town sets.
The problem with lego is that it is expensive. Lego should be carefull because the chinese clones already have the same quality and are one third the price if not less. You can only tell the difference because chinese legos don't have "Lego" written on the studs.
Not if you're 100+

SJRB

Gold Member
As an AI language model, I haven’t personally used this product, but based on its features and customer reviews, I can confidently give it a five-star rating.

Rockondevil

People keep buying it for me for Christmas and my birthday and I wish they’d stop.
I enjoy putting it together but that’s it.

It’s so overpriced because everything is a licence now.
I miss when I was younger and you just had loads of bricks to be creative and make what you want.
Everything is just a set now. And to top it off you get loads of custom pieces that are specific to that set.

Oh and I fucking hate stickers. If you can print on the bricks why in the shit is it only done sometimes.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I need to understand Lego in like 2 hours, I need to know everything. Give me your knowledge.

Any reason why the 2 hour timeframe?

Anyway, the plural of LEGO is LEGO, or you could say Lego bricks, Lego sets etc. It's not Legos. This comes from the company itself who have stated LEGO is an adjective rather than a noun.

John Bilbo

They fit together.
david GIF

If you divide the set price by its amount of pieces, you get a price-per-piece. This amount tells you if a set is expensive. Well priced sets usually have a price-per-piece of $0,10 or less. This method is not perfect though, as some sets contain many tiny pieces while other ones may contain many figures or other large/expensive parts.

KrakenIPA

People keep buying it for me for Christmas and my birthday and I wish they’d stop.
I enjoy putting it together but that’s it.

It’s so overpriced because everything is a licence now.
I miss when I was younger and you just had loads of bricks to be creative and make what you want.
Everything is just a set now. And to top it off you get loads of custom pieces that are specific to that set.

Oh and I fucking hate stickers. If you can print on the bricks why in the shit is it only done sometimes.
Woah that's rough. I would be afraid of my closest friends thinking that it's my only interest. If it's like that's all they know about you.

AJUMP23

It is mostly themed kits and that is what they sells some nostalgia or some kit of something that looks like what people love today. They use to be about inspiring creativity and play, but now they are more about collecting and kits.

I still buy a lot of Lego. But it isn't what I grew up with.

My 4 and 6yo spend hours playing with them, using their imaginations and making endless creations. They play with complete sets and just a mishmash of random pieces from my old 90s/80s sets. Aside from imagination, it also teaches them to follow precise detailed instructions, gives them indoors tactile hands-on play vs screen time, fine motor skill practice, solo and group play experience.

The biggest negative ive noticed is that once a set it broken the set doesnt get rebuilt nor do many of the custom pieces really work well with freeplay. Also, compared to the past where sets were all fun themes its all licensed IPs which just forces your kids to get into that IP essentially. Its good and bad i guess.

Also stickers are the bane of my legoing. Its cheap of then and ruins a set/lego.

I hadnt touched legos since i was 12/13 but its been really fun to play and build with my kids again.

One thing thats been pretty cute, is weve started a tradition of building a winter village every christmas. So those sets are kept separately and rebuilt together annually.

Mr1999

I've got around 3500+ LEGO pieces. Some parts might seem not so valuable, but they can be pricey. Manufacturing LEGO pieces is getting more expensive. People generally like sets, but watch out for fake ones, although they're not that common. Personally, I prefer making other peoples creations (MOCs) because there's a better variety compared to official LEGO sets.

My dream is to build this modular cathedral (https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29962/-Felix-/modular-cathedral/#details). However, with 22,000 pieces, it's going to cost a few g's. Also, as more people make these custom sets, it becomes harder to find the pieces for it, making the parts list even more expensive. I've seen it happen with a few custom MOCs I own, like the mechanical heart MOC (the red & gold pieces you see below). It used to be less expensive, but as more people made it, the less available and more expensive it became.

The same goes for the cathedral; if people buy up some of the rarer pieces, you're left with less desirable color choices as substitutes, and the final result might not look as good. Another example is for buildings, sometimes they are used entirely of sea green for example, and sea green pieces are pricey, same with slopes in any color that make up gothic style roofing, which is usually black, expensive.

The upside is that you don't have to buy everything in one place, and sometimes you can find deals. You can spend $300 here, $400 there, and yes, it's going to be costly. This is the kind of thing that needs a large spot in your house where it becomes a centerpiece. If you have the room, ive seen it in person, its really cool like you have an entire miniature city, similar to large elaborate train sets.

zZyAwG0.jpg
rMX2rjL.jpg

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
It comes from Denmark. I had a bunch when I was a kid. They're made of plastic. They test each set in an oven to make sure that each official build can endure prolonged exposure to the sun (if say, left on a windowsill). The older licensed minifigures had yellow skin, but now they have flesh-colored skin. The best way to make a building with lego is to top the walls with flat pieces, and only have the roof or upper floors attached at like four anchor points, for easy detachment.

Lego Star Wars II on the Nintendo DS is a buggy mess. It's the best Lego game ever made. The bugs are a feature. You can learn to control the bugs, like learning to use the Force. Pro tip, you can also use the Force in Jedi: Fallen Order to fly around the map. I think you just spam double jump and force pull. I didn't really like that game. Did you know that the maps in Lego games aren't made of Lego?

When I was a kid I tried to shoot my own stop-motion movie, and I never actually compiled the photos into a video, but I do have backups of those photos. I wonder how easy it'd be to make a video out of them now.

A friend told me he couldn't beat Lego Harry Potter because it was too puzzle-heavy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's like how certain people like doing puzzles to relax? I don't get it. Even as a kid I never understood the appeal.

It's truly dreadful, most of the sets are a zillion tiny pieces and are too difficult for kids to follow the instructions and put together. My boys actually want to play with the things too, not just display them, so I just end up having to put the stupid things together and then they end up broken with pieces missing all over the place from actually being used. Suffice to say we don't bother buying them and tell people to please not.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I still want to know what the two hour deadline was about.

Did you have an interview, OP?

Trunx81

It´s "Lack gesoffen teuer". Better get BlueBrixx.

And for easy understanding:
It´s Minecraft, but IRL and without the survival. This comes for the parents after they got a credit to pay for it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oke.

Were all adults (ahem Hops). Lego is cool and available for a fair price.

But thats NOT the lego we want.

So i say nice job and go fuck yourself.

Stitch

Gold Member
Super expensive, brick quality is getting worse, stickers on expensive editions.

Stuff like mould king or Cobi is better.

Rockondevil

Woah that's rough. I would be afraid of my closest friends thinking that it's my only interest. If it's like that's all they know about you.
Eh it’s family and as a fully grown adult I have everything I need/want in life, at least within my class of living.
People just feel obliged to buy a gift at those events don’t they.

OP too fucking lazy to google??

it's brick building toy. Super expensive but declining quality.

tbh, the company needs a reality check. They keep jacking up the the prices and focusing on licensed IP plus very expensive kits because you AFOLs are too stupid and will buy anything.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's truly dreadful, most of the sets are a zillion tiny pieces and are too difficult for kids to follow the instructions and put together. My boys actually want to play with the things too, not just display them, so I just end up having to put the stupid things together and then they end up broken with pieces missing all over the place from actually being used. Suffice to say we don't bother buying them and tell people to please not.

So these really are just like 3D puzzles? You put them together for a few hours and then they go in the garbage, you put them back in the box, or you display them in your nerd bedroom?

So these really are just like 3D puzzles? You put them together for a few hours and then they go in the garbage, you put them back in the box, or you display them in your nerd bedroom?

Not even, 'puzzle' implies you're discovering an unknown solution through some kind of logic. You just follow the instructions. It's more like tiny useless Ikea furniture.

Top Bottom