• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale Games Should be Embarrassed...

Reule

The performance for The Walking Dead on PS3 was pretty abysmal. Had massive slowdown when I was trying to make some choices and just general stuttering throughout the game.

Recall

That's TellTale on consoles, I've yet to play a TT game that performs acceptable on any platform that's not PC. There was a humble bundle some time ago with lots of TT games, some of which I already owned on PS3/360, but double-dipping on PC was worth it to me.

The Walking Dead had save corruption/vanishing saves on PC. Didn't effect everyone but some. I never encountered any issues on the consoles with it, so neither platform is perfect in regards to being error free.

U2NUMB

I felt the same way when I redeemed my code they gave me to play. My gut feeling is that TWAU is at the bottom of their list of priorities with what we know they have in production. So perhaps they have the third or fourth team on it and so the result is long delays and bad performance.

But I agree it is far worse than episode 1 as far as production on the 360... very much a letdown.

dan2026

On a related note I am sick and tired of game reviewers completely ignoring technical issues in their reviews.

I swear a game could run at 10fps, 240p and brick your console after 30 mins, but these guys would still give it 10/10 and game of the year.

Terra_Ex

They need to spend some time working on their engine, TWD was a stuttery mess at regular intervals on console when I played and to my surprise, the PC version also suffered similar woes to a lesser degree. If there was actually something of note going on in the game in terms of processing I'd understand, but even switching camera positions seems to cause the thing to keel over at times, which is pretty sad when all that's going on is a few models are playing animations while talking.

Weetrick

It ran perfectly on my 4 year old Mac. Sorry it wasn't the same on X360. Worse than Dungeon Keeper though? Come on.

Do we know how well Telltale games sell on consoles? maybe they don't find it justifiable to spend too much time working on those ports?

Have not played the game yet, but with TWD, I waited until the last episode came out before playing it. I imagine plenty of patches came out by that time since the game ran perfectly fine on my PS3.

I'll do the same with TWAU. Having said that, Telltale SHOULD have been called out on what was clearly a problematic release on their part.

Haunted

So I finally got around to playing episode 2 of TWAU after all the season pass mess (which still hasn't been resolved, they had to send out codes for the second episode...) and it's probably the worst performing game/piece of content I have ever played.

It's laggy, there's constant slow-down, it often crashes during load screens, the audio is constantly out of sync and while I didn't accurately measure it, it honestly felt like I sat through more load screens than I did actually playing the episode.

Not only that, this episode didn't even seem take my choices into account and rather went with what TT wanted me to go with...

This on top of how they've handled The Wolf Among Us has pretty much cemented Telltales games as one of the worst developer currently in business. Not even EA and their downright disgusting IAP in Dungeon Keeper comes close to how badly TT have handled TWAU and how technically poor the episodes have been.

It's reached the point for me where I'm tempted to give MS a call tomorrow and demand a refund for episode 1 and the season pass...
Since you mention MS I assume this was on 360 or something?

Wolf Among Us has performed flawlessly for me on PC so far. Might simply be a case of development platform priorities.

I imagine the games are probably better on PC, but they are probably the worst games (in terms of performance) you'll come across on 360. Not even TWD S1 performed as badly as TWAU has so far...
It's not like they're flexing much technical prowess either, so hearing that is a real shame.

Seems like Telltale needs to be added to the list of devs you play on PC or not at all (hello Bethesda).

solarus

Still haven't learned (or don't give a shit) since the walking dead days.
Technical issues and save problems plague their otherwise great games.
They should be embarrassed because their Walking Dead season two promo image (world's gentlest spoilers) is unbelievably cheesy and is missing a buttrock riff to go with it.

Completely encapsulates why the tone of that first episode felt so off.
Only played season 1 but that image is making me cringe so hard, puts me off playing season 2 now.

aeolist

Banned
the PC versions of their games have flaws and bugs, to be sure, but from everything i've heard they're far better than the console ports which seem like total ass

I'm quite irritated with them as well. Not only did episode 2 take a staggering four months, but in the mean time the first episode was given away for free and the season pass got a massive sale. I feel like a chump for supporting them. And yes, the performance of the game, like TWD, is shockingly bad which I don't understand given the style of the graphics and the kind of game it is. You expect frame rate issues for huge open world games, so how can their games run so poorly?

As a personal aside, it's really lame they took away the option to hide their hints (I.e. "Little Bo Peep will remember that you hit her on the head with a truncheon") for TWAU. I'm not an idiot, I understand the basic principle of cause and effect and don't need it spelled out for me every time.

This game is the last Telltale game I'm going to buy in the foreseeable future. Things will only get worse now that they have 10 different projects underway. Shame since I really liked TWD despite its technical issues.

Haunted

As a personal aside, it's really lame they took away the option to hide their hints (I.e. "Little Bo Peep will remember that you hit her on the head with a truncheon") for TWAU. I'm not an idiot, I understand the basic principle of cause and effect and don't need it spelled out for me every time.
Is that true? I actually can't remember.

That's terrible if so.

I've yet to play Episode 2, but I did have Episode 1 hang for a split second before it prompted me for every decision in my play-through (PS3). It was extremely annoying and pulled me out of the game every minute or so, but I went through it in the hopes it would be fixed in an update. Hopefully OP's case isn't the norm, though other comments in the thread seem to indicate otherwise... :/

Amir0x

Banned
Sounds like I should be happy I'm waiting until the Season 1 complete pack is out before touching this, might be patches out by then <:/

I played The Walking Dead on my 360, and I was equally put ogf by the performance problems, especially when the game switches between scenes or camera positions. A shame, because I really like these games.

I hope they jump on next-gen real soon.

It's got nothing to do with specs. Look at similar games like Beyond or Heavy Rain. They don't really have these problems and are even more interactive.

SmithnCo

I like Telltale despite the poor engine or whatever they keep using. One area where they should really improve.

down 2 orth

Poker Night 2 on the PS3 will crash or freeze every now and then when it autosaves, and TWD S1 on the vita has that weird stalling moment every time it switches scenes. I really hope they get better at fixing this kind of stuff in the future, but with that said i would easily purchase more of their games just because they are so entertaining.

hwalker84

I know several people who never beat TWD Season 1 because of save issues.

I wouldn't put them at the worst but they will never be embarrassed as long as all of the games industry continues to slob their nob.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This thread could be about any of their games.

it's amazing how much they get away with.

Eh, before TWD their games weren't really technical messes. Never had issues with Sam & Max, Wallace and Gromit nor Tales of Monkey Island.

I was also lucky enough to not run into the save issues in TWD

RE_Player

No one is allowed to complain about performance unless they played the Vita version of TWD. So much slow down I can expect to die multiple times per episode missing button prompts.

Well, they certainly don't reach EA's incompetence, but i understand your frustrations. I don't mind them taking longer between episodes (within reason of course) if they are holding up a high quality, but that is obviously not the case here. Very upsetting to hear.

I'd say just wait for the full season/retail, but that caused new problems with the Walking Dead, just no winning!

Shame, i really want to love their titles but i'm always nervous to jump in.

Also PS4 version of Walking Dead & Fables would be great.

NinjaBoiX

The Walking Dead is a technical embarrassment on 360. For what is essentially a sequence of cutscenes, it runs like an absolute dog.

It feels like it barely left beta before they shipped it, it's a horribly shoddy game. I didn't even think it was very good either! I was bored and stopped playing by chapter 4.

Most overhyped game of 2013 for me.

I completely agree and made a post with a similar tone awhile back. Frankly, they have the money to get these amazing licenses but yet all their games are shattered messes.

It's time to upgrade the engine and focus on a cohesive game as well as a cohesive story. I don't even want to touch TWD:S2 SOLELY due to the bugs I had during S1.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I imagine the games are probably better on PC, but they are probably the worst games (in terms of performance) you'll come across on 360. Not even TWD S1 performed as badly as TWAU has so far...

Ah, that clarifies things. Probably should have mentioned that in your first post. Thought you were crazy or had significantly underpowered hardware at first.

20cent

Banned
The Walking Dead was perfect on iPad, better play casual games on casual platform.
(no troll intended)

daydream

Banned
OP is not wrong.

All I'm asking is that they take their time, five months if necessary. They have a limited number of episodes to work on and, with the first one being so promising, they should make every single one count. Use the extra time to get your season pass sorted out because that part was an utter mess.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
People seem to give them too much of a pass due to a couple of good games here and there, but I don't trust them, nor I will buy anything from them ever again.

Here and there I've noticed that some people seem to be under the impression that Telltale is a small studio, but in fact it has close to 200 employees.

I'm playing TWD on 360 and TWAU on PS3, and both perform really poorly. I'm able to tolerate it, but it's really unfortunate that it's like that.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
By the way, have there been any news about whether or not it will be possible to migrate save states between platforms? It would suck to have better performing seasons of these stories on other platforms without being able to take your save states with you.

jacobeid

Banned
I've been trying to make my way through TWD season 1 on PS3 and gaht dayum that game runs terribly. Stutters more often than not and I just can't get immersed in it. Halfway through episode 3 and I love the content, but I'm about to just put it down. No excuse.

Top Bottom