• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale Games Should be Embarrassed...

Well, you haven't played much, then.

Hey, I've played Advent Rising. Advent Rising. I still consider this to be the buggiest game I've played to date.

Ah, that clarifies things. Probably should have mentioned that in your first post. Thought you were crazy or had significantly underpowered hardware at first.

Sorry about that. I thought I mentioned it was on 360, but I guess my anger with the issues made me forget...

held off on their current two shows because of technical concerns. had a greater interest in TWAU frankly. you'd think with all that walking dead monet they could fix it. back to the drawing board, please.

Sendou

Yeah I've had problems with their games in past too. This shouldn't be acceptable. The Walking Dead was a mess and while I liked the game I will wait until a deep discount can be found until buying the Season 2 and Wolf Among Us.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jesus, seriously? 200? That's twice what Respawn has.

To be fair, Respawn is only working on one game whereas Telltale has a few ongoing projects, but as I've already said this doesn't excuse the lack of post-release support.

leakey

Noticed big slowdown issues on both episodes for 360, but only during scene transitions/loading areas. Because I'm digging the story so much, and the fact that I'm only shelling out 5 bucks every once in a long while for the next episode, I'm not even mad.

I don't even see this as a real game. It's like some odd pay-per-view serial interactive experience.

KDR_11k

Telltale has always been technically deficient. I remember getting crashes back in Season 1 of Sam & Max. I guess they never got better.

shaowebb

TWAU? Im sorry, but I dont know that abbreviation. Could you add the full name of whatever it is you are trying to discuss to the OP. Generally a good idea to do that at least once before resulting to any abbreviation really...

Totally agreed. They should read up the definition of Quality Assurance. I'm convinced such a department doesn't exist at their studio lol
Also you should demand a refund. They did some scummy shit in the past too. Only if they see action they might change something...

Kriken

One of the things that prevented me from fully liking TWD was the atrocious framerate issues at times. I thought that was purely b/c I was using the discs, but after watching TBFP LP of the 2nd episode, it led me to believe it was more the game itself (digital or physical). A shame really, I would've hoped Telltales fixed that problem from TWD to TWAU

I was watch Two Best Friend's Let's Play of it and does it really just freeze in the middle of a scene while loading? That is the most jarring thing.

Yep. that can happen. It's especially bad when you unlock an achievement, it comes to a virtual standstill with no indication of it's crashed or just having trouble loading. The little icon in the corner just freezes and you can't open the guide, so you're pretty much left to decide to if it's crashed or not...

I've played many of their games and enjoyed all of them, but it does feel like they get a free pass somehow for general poor performance where other developers would be overcome with negative publicity.

calder

50 artists, 50 story writers, 48 corporate executives, 1 software engineer, and 1 QA tester.
0 animators? Hmm, your math checks out!

Every time I play one of their games I'm shocked at how bad the animation is. The typical scene is two people talking to each other, and occasionally one of the characters walks a few steps away and then turns around to continue talking, so why is the animation always so noticeably awful? :p

Throw in slowdown and long load times and yeah even when they don't crash or corrupt save games their games at best are technically barely acceptable.

Episode 2 ran like an absolute dog on the 360. Don't know why I keep giving them my money.

Also the disregard for my actions in the story was the laziest shit in any of the TT games. Ridiculous.

Almost forgot about Snow White holding that brooch and having it hovering around and clipping through her fingers.

pretty much

No it isn't, he's completely right.

theRizzle

I downloaded the first episode when they were giving it away for free on 360 and couldn't believe how badly it performed compared to the PC version. Sure, on PC I was running from an SSD and have a pretty nice machine, but I found the 360 version to be so poor.

In the first fight against
The Woodsman
, I could barely figure out what was happening and what prompts I needed to hit. Failed it like 3 times but never had one issue on PC.

Prophezz

Banned
I'm quite irritated with them as well. Not only did episode 2 take a staggering four months, but in the mean time the first episode was given away for free and the season pass got a massive sale. I feel like a chump for supporting them. And yes, the performance of the game, like TWD, is shockingly bad which I don't understand given the style of the graphics and the kind of game it is. You expect frame rate issues for huge open world games, so how can their games run so poorly?

As a personal aside, it's really lame they took away the option to hide their hints (I.e. "Little Bo Peep will remember that you hit her on the head with a truncheon") for TWAU. I'm not an idiot, I understand the basic principle of cause and effect and don't need it spelled out for me every time.

This game is the last Telltale game I'm going to buy in the foreseeable future. Things will only get worse now that they have 10 different projects underway. Shame since I really liked TWD despite its technical issues.

This. Telltale is quickly becoming the company I don't want them to become.

I'm not sure I will buy another telltale game after the problems I had with The Walking Dead (PC). My save file never carried over to the next episode. I had to use a randomly generated one every fucking time. And from what I've heard, that problem is still around in their newer games for some people.

Totally agreed. They should read up the definition of Quality Assurance. I'm convinced such a department doesn't exist at their studio lol
Also you should demand a refund. They did some scummy shit in the past too. Only if they see action they might change something...

Yep, that's why I'm giving serious thought to pushing MS for a refund. What really annoys me is that MS have cert is place and yet this still managed to pass for release...

I'm not sure I will buy another telltale game after the problems I had with The Walking Dead (PC). My save file never carried over to the next episode. I had to use a randomly generated one every fucking time. And from what I've heard, that problem is still around in their newer games for some people.

Same thing happened to me and you realise pretty quickly that none of your actions really matter anyway.

Just a quick reminder. Telltale thinks it is somehow ok to release THIS to the public and demand $30 for it! They had all the money and the time in the world to get the disc version of TWD right, but they didn't just to make a quick buck. Even worse, affected customers had to fill out a crazy form sending pictures of their receipt, the game box standing next to the TV and other stuff just to get a refund from Telltale and it took more than 8 weeks for some of them to get any answer.

It's absolutely disgusting how they treat their paying customers...

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's incredible how many threads here cover the broken shit Telltale ships to gamers, and still they have millions of buying their games. They're shameless.

Kinyou

Just a quick reminder. Telltale thinks it is somehow ok to release THIS to the public and demand $30 for it! They had all the money and the time in the world to get the disc version right, but they didn't just to make a quick buck. Even worse, affected customers had to fill out a crazy form sending pictures of their receipt, the game box standing next to the TV and other stuff just to get a refund from Telltale and it took more than 8 weeks for some of them to get any answer.

yah, that's just straight up broken and should never have been released. No excuses.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Telltale just don't make good games. It's all janky stuff with bad tech, bad gameplay, bad animations, etc. I haven't played TWAU yet, but TWD really was the epitome of a good story told through a bad game. I enjoyed it overall, but not without constantly being reminded that the actual game I was playing wasn't a good one.

Just a quick reminder. Telltale thinks it is somehow ok to release THIS to the public and demand $30 for it! They had all the money and the time in the world to get the disc version right, but they didn't just to make a quick buck. Even worse, affected customers had to fill out a crazy form sending pictures of their receipt, the game box standing next to the TV and other stuff just to get a refund from Telltale and it took more than 8 weeks for some of them to get any answer.

That video is pretty accurate is highlighting the various issues that TWAU suffers from too on 360.

Alfredo

Wow. And this is the team that won a few "Studio of the Year" awards? Interesting. I kinda wanna go play that free episode of The Walking Dead I got on Xbox Live to see if I see any of these performance issues...

robotrock

Banned
Yeah, I played through the first season of The Walking Dead on PS3 and it was the grossest thing ever. I only did it for the easy platinum, as I had already finished it on PC. All Teltale games have some stuttering problems on PC too though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wow. And this is the team that won a few "Studio of the Year" awards? Interesting. I kinda wanna go play that free episode of The Walking Dead I got on Xbox Live to see if I see any of these performance issues...

That reminds me I have the first episode of The Wolf Among Us for free on the 360 too! Maybe I should try experiencing it for myself later.

That reminds me I have the first episode of The Wolf Among Us for free on the 360 too! Maybe I should try experiencing it for myself later.

Episode 1 has some issues but it's mostly playable. Episode 2 is really on a whole other level in terms of issues.

The video posted by Dragon showing the issues in TWD S1 is pretty representative of some of the issues I encountered in TWAU episode 2.

I've had a lot of those problems with the first season of TWD. Don't understand why they win so many awards. I love the stories but the game itself is just so poorly optimized. Like why do they have so many delays and never fix anything? What the hell are they doing?

So I finally got around to playing episode 2 of TWAU after all the season pass mess (which still hasn't been resolved, they had to send out codes for the second episode...) and it's probably the worst performing game/piece of content I have ever played on 360.

It's laggy, there's constant slow-down, it often crashes during load screens, the audio is constantly out of sync and while I didn't accurately measure it, it honestly felt like I sat through more load screens than I did actually playing the episode.

Not only that, this episode didn't even seem take my choices into account and rather went with what TT wanted me to go with...

This on top of how they've handled The Wolf Among Us has pretty much cemented Telltales games as one of the worst developer currently in business. Not even EA and their downright disgusting IAP in Dungeon Keeper comes close to how badly TT have handled TWAU and how technically poor the episodes have been.

It's reached the point for me where I'm tempted to give MS a call tomorrow and demand a refund for episode 1 and the season pass...

Of course you're welcomed to your opinion. In fact, I have a friend who was very upset about the entire season pass thing. But to say that TellTale is one worst company in the industry is hyperbole. One incident doesn't match what EA has done with Battlefield 4, Dungeon Keeper, etc. it doesn't match the weirdness that came from Silicone Knights, with its lawsuits and the strange KS stuff from Dyack. I could go on, but the point is that they fucked up once. One bad moment doesnt crystallize them as "one of the worst developers currently in business". From a consumer end, it does suck, and Im sorry you had a bad experience. However, perspective is important.

inky

Here and there I've noticed that some people seem to be under the impression that Telltale is a small studio, but in fact it has close to 200 employees.

Yes, they even moved to a bigger building not long ago, didn't they?

But even if they were a small studio, people shouldn't give them a pass either, considering not only they fail to address many issues on their games while continuously pumping out new ones, they don't communicate well with the audience either. In fact they are pretty good at making excuses, and ignoring them.

Well I'm glad TellTale haven't bitten off more than they can chew and taken too many projects on at--WAIT A MINUTE.

Episode 2 ran like fucking arse on my PS3. Glad I didn't wait for the Vita port in the end though, yeesh.

I haven't played TWAU (and refuse to do so until the whole season is out) but I did play both seasons of Sam & Max on Xbox 360 and they both performed terribly. Lots of slow down, especially when walking around Sam & Max's street, missing audio at certain points, that kind of stuff. It was annoying for sure but fortunately the games made up for it.

Yeah, Telltale Tool needs some fixing.

50 artists, 50 story writers, 48 corporate executives, 1 software engineer, and 1 QA tester.

You forgot: 1 customer service rep, 49 game award trophy cabinet builders.

The way they handled the PC save game issue (or rather didn't) really put me off. Didn't play the Vita version past chapter 1 due to all that stuttering.

andycapps

My experience with TWD on PS3 had made me wait until they put this out on PS4. It was a great game but I want to wait and play it without all the slowdown, jaggies, etc. Waiting on season 2 of TWD as well.

Man its been so long, but now I remember some of the bugs I had in TWD. Falling through the world, multiple times. The camera getting stuck above the roof of a train I was in so I couldn't see anything. Having a character talking to me with a guitar sticking out of his crotch.

They do think their players are idiots, but not in the sense of not understanding causality, rather in the sense of thinking that Telltale's system of player choice and how it influences the story is the great differentiator, the innovation of a lifetime. It's more of a "Look here, this is amazing. They'll actually remember, kid. Tell us we're awesome already." than a "You just made a decision. It has consequences, dummy." Since most technical aspects surrounding their games are downright awful, they have to highlight the one that's kind of interesting albeit inconsequential and mostly window-dressing.
You're probably right. =\

Top Bottom