• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 2 |OT| Keep That Hair Short

NMFried

Okay so I played Season 1 on 360, but my Live ran out. I'm debating whether or not I should buy Season 2 on Steam or not. Also, should I just wait for it to all go on sale?

dreamfall

I think I'll end up playing it on the PS3. That's where my Season 1 files are, and I ordered a PC version of it by mistake on TellTale's site. For some reason I thought it was a Steam code, but I didn't realize it was not :/

Nzyme32

Okay so I played Season 1 on 360, but my Live ran out. I'm debating whether or not I should buy Season 2 on Steam or not. Also, should I just wait for it to all go on sale?

Personally, I think it would ruin the experience to be given random choices when you start, whilst already knowing what you did choose last season.

Whether you choose to go with steam or not, just make sure you buy on a platform you'll know you can still access and play on for the next season....assuming there is one....who am i kidding, telltale will milk this cow dry and I'll love it /
taste the salt lick

Telltale once again offering some nice quality customer support I see. Weird that they can't get get their act together on this.

NMFried

Personally, I think it would ruin the experience to be given random choices when you start, whilst already knowing what you did choose last season.

Whether you choose to go with steam or not, just make sure you buy on a platform you'll know you can still access and play on for the next season....assuming there is one....who am i kidding, telltale will milk this cow dry and I'll love it /
taste the salt lick

Haha we're all sheep. Well I was going to maybe download a save for Season 1 and then go into Season 2, but maybe I'll wait until it goes on sale on XBLA.

Lost my Season One save due to my stupid shitty SSD evaporating. :(
Never put important files on an SSD, kids! Was a Corsair Force 3 90GB.

Says it'll randomly generate choices, which sucks. If I'm not playing my story then the whole thing feels kind of pointless. Why not let me choose again? Just a simple text survey would suffice, generate a save out of that and splice into the Season Two save.

Am I gonna have to wait for someone else to figure out how to hack this shit?

Cudder

Soo weird how the season pass isn't up yet. Usually its the opposite, companies put out the most expensive piece of game to get more money up front. CMON TELLTALE.

Salsa

k, about to start the game..

how do I know if its taking up my previous game saves/choices and all? nothing under "save files" but maybe that's the current game's?

Ah, shit. I have a manual copy of my S1 save but I don't think I backed up post-500 Days. Gotta wait for the first game to download so I can get to the cloud saves I guess? I hope they're still intact, S1 saves were a fucking nightmare.

Salsa

so uh...

iTqkbZDl.jpg

its not picking up ep 5? :/

So not only does my S1 Steam Cloud save not have my 500 Days save, it also doesn't have my Episode 5 save, either! Great!

I at least have manual copies of my post-ep5 save so I guess I'll just have it generate 500 Days, whatever.

zeemumu

I saved teenage Kenny because the other guy looked bitten, but knowing Telltale it might turn out to be a scratch from a rock or something. Also, was that guy in the episode 2 preview the guy from the prison bus in 400 days? Because on my save he's the only one who stays at the camp. Everyone else left. Aside from that, the only other two things that my save seems to have affected are Clementine saying that they're smarter than the zombies, her description of Lee, and the fact that she starts acting weird every time one of the characters mentions chopping off a hand.

Salsa

yeah apparently I have either a season 1 completed save or a "till episode 4 + 400 days" save

pretty incredible how something so fucking predictable happened again

get your shit together telltale, this neglects the entire philosophy around your game. Jesus what a joke.

I already played through 400 days.. now I have to play through it AGAIN (wanted to play ep 1 of season 2 before hitting the bed, only time I can) and its also no guarantee that it'll work since I ALREADY FUCKING DID IT but apparently the game doesnt now

you build an entire game around saving your progress; you fuck it up. Clap clap.

CrazyDude

yeah apparently I have either a season 1 completed save or a "till episode 4 + 400 days" save

pretty incredible how something so fucking predictable happened again

get your shit together telltale, this neglects the entire philosophy around your game. Jesus what a joke.

I already played through 400 days.. now I have to play through it AGAIN (wanted to play ep 1 of season 2 before hitting the bed, only time I can) and its also no guarantee that it'll work since I ALREADY FUCKING DID IT but apparently the game doesnt now

Episode 5 choices will be automatically chosen for you.

I bet if you go to their support forums they're still recommending that people just disable cloud saves outright and manually manage saves. I can't believe this shit hasn't been straightened out.

culafia

After stewing on it a bit, here are some pros and cons:

Pros
-Clementine is a good protagonist despite my initial misgivings
-Pretty good new characters
-Many choices feel more natural than the Season 1 choices
-Set itself up to go to interesting places

Cons
-Way more artificial exposition from the main character (she says literally everything she's doing out loud as she does it regardless of whether someone is around or not, and it doesn't feel like basic loneliness)
-It follows many of the same beats as Season 1. Because we know how secretly linear these games are, this episode felt like it was funneling me through a linear plot more than me experiencing my story. That end-of-episode choice we had to make was also pitifully easy to predict from a mile away.
-Dialogue sometimes comes across as unnatural and comic book-y (it's obv based on the comic, but the dialogue feels less grounded in reality as it used to last season)

It has promise, but it definitely has issues too.

My save file isn't even showing up yet my save is in my documents folder.

WnrPcI6.png

BB98gMD.jpg

?
Those are your Season One saves. Correct folder might be under a a different user account or something.
Search "The Walking Dead Season Two".
If the folder doesn't exist then that might be a problem.

I haven't read the thread in fear of spoilers, so sorry if this has been asked before:

To those who have finished it, how significant are the consequences of your season 1 choices? Does season 2 only occasionally reference stuff from season 1, or does it noticably change in any way?

If I played season 1 at release, but no longer have acces to my save, is it worth replaying it to get a new save?

EDIT: also, is it possible to just get someone else's savefile and use that?

Tacitus_

After stewing on it a bit, here are some pros and cons:

Pros
-Clementine is a good protagonist despite my initial misgivings
-Pretty good new characters
-Many choices feel more natural than the Season 1 choices
-Set itself up to go to interesting places

Cons
-Way more artificial exposition from the main character (she says literally everything she's doing out loud as she does it regardless of whether someone is around or not, and it doesn't feel like basic loneliness)
-It follows many of the same beats as Season 1. Because we know how secretly linear these games are, this episode felt like it was funneling me through a linear plot more than me experiencing my story. That end-of-episode choice we had to make was also pitifully easy to predict from a mile away.
-Dialogue sometimes comes across as unnatural and comic book-y (it's obv based on the comic, but the dialogue feels less grounded in reality as it used to last season)

It has promise, but it definitely has issues too.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ICantUseTheseThingsTogether

Any idea yet of how much 400 Days plays into season 2? The best I can do from old manually backed up saves is full eps 1-5 but missing 400 Days, if it's probably not going to be a significant part I'll probably just have it generate decisions but I'd hate to find after spending hours in s2 that I should have just gone back and replayed.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
This whole saving issue really is embarrassing, I don't get how they just can't be arsed to take care of it.
So is there some place that has PS3 saves to download? At this point I'd rather take "as close as it gets" than some randomized BS or play Season 1 and 400 days yet again.

culafia

Any idea yet of how much 400 Days plays into season 2? The best I can do from old manually backed up saves is full eps 1-5 but missing 400 Days, if it's probably not going to be a significant part I'll probably just have it generate decisions but I'd hate to find after spending hours in s2 that I should have just gone back and replayed.
Playing 400 days won't determine whether Kenny is alive or Clem dies, so I could give a shit.

Lunzio

As far as I know after playing the first episode of S2...

there aren't any overlaps just yet.

jakomocha

Must....wait....until....all episodes are out. Playing The Walking Dead Season 1 all together rather than each episode separately (I didn't get the game until all the episodes were done) felt much more satisfying and concise then how I am assuming waiting for each one felt. I've gotta stop looking up media on the game or else I'm gonna end up caving in and getting it. Please Telltale, finish all the episodes quickly. I really wanna play!

Top Bottom