• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale TWD Season 2 launch is a DRM debacle. Why does this company get a free pass?

Fiktion

Banned
Absolutely awful situation. It baffles me that telltale seems to consistently get a free pass on pulling shit like this on its customers. The save bug, engine issues, the list goes on. We see the gushing praise in the press and they never get called out on this bollocks. At least a "We are aware of the issue and are looking into it" tweet/forum post would attempt to save face. Seems their crisis management is consistently just radio silence.
This post got me thinking. There is definitely a pattern here with a company that has not received the same scrutiny for its track record that others might. Here are a bunch of old stories I know about (and I'm sure there are plenty that I don't) which bear revisiting, all of which have been more or less swept under the rug.

Jurassic Park:
Telltale Games employees reviewing Jurassic Park on Metacritic
TellTale Damages the Jeep of Something Awful's Boomerjinks

The Walking Dead Season 1:
Telltale is giving the silent treatment to customers experiencing game-breaking bugs
Has Telltale Games responded to the save game glitch in TWD? (They didn't)
Is Walking Dead pc saves still broke? (They are)

Now as for what's happening today, Telltale's servers simply won't let people play the game. It's telling a lot of customers that they don't own the game, even if they paid for it. Many of us didn't even intend to purchase the game with Telltale's DRM, we bought it off Green Man Gaming where both Season 1 and the 400 Days expansion came with Steam Keys. Without any fanfare, this policy was changed for Season 2 so that we ended up with Telltale's shitty DRM instead.

Some posts from the OT:

I wish I'd bought this on Steam as many of us who bought directly from Telltale cannot log into their servers to authenticate our username & password. Not that anyone outside of their forums would know this because Telltale are far too happy to post the review scores instead.

Yeah, its kind of a joke D:

I hope Telltale fixes the authentication issues soon. I'm really looking forward to playing the episode.

Apparently, in Telltale's eyes, I don't own the game now.

Having the same issue. I'm getting pretty annoyed.

Same here the forums are flooded with the same complaints no real answer from TT as of yet :(

There's a guy in those forums calling people that are upset about this situation "entitled, grabby whiners". We live in a demented time.

TellTale are idiots for trying to push their own system anyway. If you're gonna do DRM, at least do it good.

A mere glimpse of the chaos on the Telltale Support Forums:

xkk2lX8.png

With all this in mind, why does this company get a free pass when it commits a Sim City style sin for a point and click adventure game? When they're caught boosting their own ratings on Metacritic and refusing to address complaints, where is the media attention and fanfare? Why are they still considered one of the "good" companies when they treat customers the way they do?

Kemal86

I stopped buying TellTale games after purchasing a couple of their games on iOS. Every one (except for the Puzzle Agent games) have been completely and utterly unplayable on "supported" devices.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, that's awful. And I'm sure if I try out the game on my 360 tomorrow I'll see the same atrocious performance their engine keeps giving out as they don't seem to care about fixing it.

sueil

No one cares about PC gamers or their problems. I say this as someone that games almost exclusively on PC.

Maybe because games press get free copies, probably for console versions without these specific problems, and either way if they run into any issues Telltale fixes them swiftly? I don't know. But that DRM stuff sounds horrendous.

Shiggy

I always wonder why they get a free pass. Their games aren't even that good and look pretty shitty due to their ancient engine.

jediyoshi

With all this in mind, why does this company get a free pass when it commits a Sim City style sin for a point and click adventure game? When they're caught boosting their own ratings on Metacritic and refusing to address complaints, where is the media attention and fanfare? Why are they still considered one of the good companies when they treat customers the way they do?

Are you talking about the press? Enter any TT OT, they're flooded with bug complaints.

Maybe because games press get free copies, probably for console versions without these specific problems, and either way if they run into any issues Telltale fixes them swiftly? I don't know. But that DRM stuff sounds horrendous.

Someone get EA on the phone, their nightmares can be over!

Krilekk

Banned
I'm done with Telltale for the near future. The way they treat Wolf Among Us is embarassing, if you do an episodic game do it right. They know how to do it right. Delaying an episode a whole month only to release the next episodic game is a shitty move. I can already see where this goes, we end up getting new episodes every four months because they release Wolf, Walking Dead, Borderlands, Game of Thrones each one episode a month. I'm just glad I didn't buy the season pass, from now on I will buy Telltale games only when the full season is out and on sale.

Tucah

you speak so well
A Telltale game has problems? You don't say. Their games are good but goddamn barely anything I've bought of theirs has worked as intended.

Yeah, I'm always a bit surprised there's so much goodwill considering:
a) their games are full of jank while being (seemingly) technically simple
b) every once in a while there's a story where they come off as utter assholes (the SA jeep thing in particular but also how they've essentially ignored nasty glitches).

I truly like their games but I certainly don't like them as a dev/pub.

What really pissed me off apart from the last season's debacle regarding saves was their gloating of positive reviews on their twitter, nice to know the press got to play it through but what about people that have paid for the game? You know them what pay their wages? Ignored. I hate their silent treatment and i hate their half arsed save game implementation. For a game that is all about your choices having meaning they sure do fuck all to ensure that works? All they care about is porting to every system/platform out there then go deaf when it doesn't work. I won't buy another thing from Telltale until they start supporting their games after sale and caring a little more about their customers.

I love Telltale and have bought a majority of their titles directly from them, but this is not the first time I've faced issues. I had hoped they would have cleaned up their act by now, but the issues persist. So many of their games are really special, so it's truly unfortunate for their launches to be so consistently mired in errors.

Sciz

I can already see where this goes, we end up getting new episodes every four months because they release Wolf, Walking Dead, Borderlands, Game of Thrones each one episode a month. I'm just glad I didn't buy the season pass, from now on I will buy Telltale games only when the full season is out and on sale.

Not to excuse Wolf's protracted release schedule, but games releasing concurrently have different staff working on them.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm done with Telltale for the near future. The way they treat Wolf Among Us is embarassing, if you do an episodic game do it right. They know how to do it right. Delaying an episode a whole month only to release the next episodic game is a shitty move.
They are different teams.

louiedog

Telltale's communication about problems has been consistently bad for as long as I can remember. I have no interest in buying their games anywhere close to the first episode as a result.

JordanKZ

This is the reason I'd rather pay a few pounds more and get it on Steam. Fairly reliable download and authentication servers are worth it.

Guri

This is the reason I'd rather pay a few pounds more and get it on Steam. Fairly reliable download and authentication servers are worth it.

I was going to buy on Steam, but then the whole save issue people had last season worried me. And now their store version has this issue. I can understand first-time logins, but I wish they would explain why you need to do it every time you play.

Fiktion

Banned

When I purchased my copy on Green Man Gaming, I fully expected that it would come with a Steam Key as Season 1 and 400 Days did. It didn't, because Telltale suddenly wants to push their own DRM servers, probably to save a few cents by not giving Valve a cut. It is anti-consumerism at its worst.

JakeD

it sucks they are having issues with their own DRM, but to be fair, greenmangaming made it pretty darn clear that they were not giving steam keys

JordanKZ

When I purchased my copy on Green Man Gaming, I fully expected that it would come with a Steam Key as Season 1 and 400 Days did. It didn't, because Telltale suddenly wants to push their own DRM servers, probably to save a few cents by not giving Valve a cut. It is anti-consumerism at its worst.

Exact same thing happened to me. It was a bit of a bait and switch, but I ended up asking for a refund after seeing the notice.

After the save issue with the last game, I am waiting to get this until all of the episodes are released. Hopefully they'll get this sorted out quickly.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Should check out the various TF2/Steam trading sites, can get the game for 6-7 keys which is like half the price of the Steam Store.

I re downloaded my copy of Tales from Monkey Island from their server the other day (figured I should finally play it)

Kept crashing at launch. (I'm on Mac)

Frankly, I wasn't surprised and didn't care anymore. I pretty much expect this stuff from
Telltale at this point.

Fiktion

Banned
Should check out the various TF2/Steam trading sites, can get the game for 6-7 keys which is like half the price of the Steam Store.

Thank you for the tip, but my immediate recourse right now is going to be calling American Express and disputing the charge since I was sold something that doesn't actually fucking work.

Sciz

For the record, GMG's store pages clearly state if a game activates on Steam, although I imagine the big header there about requiring a Telltale account is a recent addition.

I'll react to my post being copied in the OT: I had absolutely no problems with the game. Bought it on Steam, and it worked perfectly. It's the non-steam version that's fucked. And TellTale are idiots for using their own DRM when they've got a working solution at hand.

FluxWaveZ

Not buying another Telltale Game anywhere near its release again because of the issues I've had with The Walking Dead series on Steam. It's a bummer, because these games are pretty good.

I can't even log on to authenticate my details. The little pop up box just goes away in the games title screen which doesn't transition to the menu.

They should be refunding games or at least giving Steam keys as an alternative work around to their own version of the game.

kubus

I have a pretty beasty PC but TWD ran like shit. Frames would constantly freeze for 5 seconds while sound kept playing. The first episode ran like a slideshow for me, no hyperbole.

Turned out I had to turn off some weird graphic setting (I think it was an effect? Maybe motion blur) and then it went away.

Also had issues with my save file once. My choices suddenly disappeared.

Not buying TWD2 until they sort out this stuff. Didn't know they had their own DRM now. Ugh.

edit: Looked it up. It was the Shadows setting. Also seems to be a problem with all of their releases. Wow.

The main reason I'm waiting on this game is because BOTH of my playthroughs on PC where bugged and reset me back to the second or third episode, so I have to replay AGAIN in order for my save to carry over. As far as I know the save bug still isn't fixed.

Oppo

I stopped buying TellTale games after purchasing a couple of their games on iOS. Every one (except for the Puzzle Agent games) have been completely and utterly unplayable on "supported" devices.

My full first season of Walking Dead on iPad was perfect.

That said, it really does look like they have some 'splaining to do.

I'm interested in playing season two of TWD but yeah, I'm done with Telltale for the time being. I've had way too many problems with their stuff in the past.

GetemMa

because the emotion man, feel the emotion!

and games can be art.

The writing is SO GOOD

Telltale is pushing the industry forward while everyone else is holding it back.

I've never been so invested in characters.

The art style didn't break the immersion for me, at all.

There, I think I got them all.

Nzyme32

What the fuck?! There I was playing it on steam without issue... They are the same game and connect to the same servers, surely telltales drm thing would just use a system on there right?

Was the save feature problem only on telltale's store version or the steam version or was it a console thing?

Top Bottom