• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale TWD Season 2 launch is a DRM debacle. Why does this company get a free pass?

Pryce

There certainly is.

2S24YzY.jpg

To be fair, those reviews are based on the SP and the MP that they probably played at an event. Not the score based on after release gameplay.

Which, still is a bad way to do things.

Goldmund

What the fuck?! There I was playing it on steam without issue... They are the same game and connect to the same servers, surely telltales drm thing would just use a system on there right?

Was the save feature problem only on telltale's store version or the steam version or was it a console thing?
I had the issue with the Steam version; there's a thread on the game's forum on Steam how it is fixed, though. It worked for me. I think it was based on the game creating two save files (on in the game's folder, on in your document folder) and it prioritizing the wrong one? Something a hotfix may have fixed since then.

Thank you OP.

I won't buy a single Telltale game anymore. I don't want to see a developer act like shit and ignoring its customers like that so I won't support it. Everyone who doesn't want to see that should do the same or at the very least buy the full game from sale when it goes on one. And keep telling the tale about it people (bad pun I know).

Zabka

I had so many problems with S1 Walking Dead Saves being read incorrectly on the 360. I feel bad for the art and writing side of the company because the tech side is embarrassing.

inm8num2

You might notice that a couple months ago Telltale "upgraded" their forums to a highly obstructive design that almost discourages or inhibits postings.

They got tired of people complaining about the direction they've taken with their games, so they obfuscated their community with a reddit knock-off. And now they will probably be able to ignore customer complaints more easily, too.

L00P

Can anyone help me figure out how to share this miracle of me not getting any game-breaking bugs in telltale games I bought? I figured a lot of gaffers could really use it

Zafir

In the past they've often offered steam keys out to people who've pre-ordered. Seems this time they decided to be stingy. >.>

inm8num2

Another thing - I'll never buy anything that's planned in episodes without firm release dates. Telltale has taken on more projects, and there are going to be some long-ass waits between episodes of TWD:S2 and TWAU.

The way they keep their customers in the dark to build hype and anticipation is kind of lame.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Learned Telltale are total shit with TWD, will now stay away until sale time by which most bugs have been fixed. It's a tight race between Bethesda, EA and them for worst company.

Not many people make awesome and modern point and click adventure games anymore, so people give them a pass because of that. I don't think they should get a pass though.

The writing and art is great on The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead, same with the voice acting.

Everything else is shit though, especially their support.

Snicky

It does seem like they get a pass. I had major problems with S1 Walking Dead. Was able to eventually get it sorted after patches but I found the gameplay terrible and was not that interested in the characters.

Having grown up playing Myst/Riven/Exile, Grim Fandango, and Monkey Island; the game came off as incredibly limited and boring in gameplay/exploration from what I expect in a point and click adventure and that combined with my lack of interest in the characters drove me away after playing through the beginning of episode 4. Underwhelming company as a whole in my eyes but lots of people love their games so hopefully they start treating their customers better!

I am crossing my fingers for their Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones games though!

Yeah, this is definitely a recurring issue. As excited as I am for season 2, I will not support it for some time because I kind of influenced a lot of my friends to buy season 1 when I got it on Steam (simply by playing it) and many of them, especially on the Mac side, can't even launch their game or play certain episodes without the whole thing going haywire and Telltale have done nothing to help them.

Carcetti

I was a bit bummed I'd have to play the Xbox 360 version since my old saves are there but apparently it's a blessing in disguise. Woo.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
After the save issue with the last game, I am waiting to get this until all of the episodes are released. Hopefully they'll get this sorted out quickly.

Same for me. The save issues ruined my experience with the game that I was otherwise enjoying.

Gxgear

I've never actually played a Telltale title that's functional, even the most basic of gameplay such as movement leaves a lot to be desired.

Zemm

I always wonder why they get a free pass. Their games aren't even that good and look pretty shitty due to their ancient engine.

Agreed. They lost me with the awful back to the future, but like a mug I bought into TWD hype, worst purchase ever. I can't wait to see how bad the GoT one is going to be.

Kosma

Banned
My savegame got erased in TWD and I never got a response from customer support.

Very shitty company and Im not buying any more of their games.

LeBart

I must be the luckiest guy in the world, 3 ppl+me who played TWD on my pc never had any issue with the game.

Nah. Most people have no problem playing the game. I do think people are being a tiny bit melodramatic with the login stuff. Yeah, you're having trouble logging in, it sucks but that's not a huge deal. Try again later, their servers are obviously melting. Or buy the Steam version if you hate the login system. I know I hated it in season 1 and I switched to Steam. No issue whatsoever.

The save stuff however, is a core part of the experience, and even if only 10% or even 5% of players are affected, that's still not acceptable. The fact is we can't know how widespread it is, but if it's as much of a problem as it was with season 1, they fucked up.

Teknoman

I always wonder why they get a free pass. Their games aren't even that good and look pretty shitty due to their ancient engine.

The Walking Dead season 1 looked pretty good to me...havent had any save game problems, but then again i'm not sure if the Steam version had those issues.

Quasar

What the fuck?! There I was playing it on steam without issue... They are the same game and connect to the same servers, surely telltales drm thing would just use a system on there right?

Was the save feature problem only on telltale's store version or the steam version or was it a console thing?

Yeah. I never had any issues with TWD.

Kvik

It STILL having the savegame issue? It's been present since Season 1, Episode 2! And yet left unfixed after all this time? :-\

Orayn

When you're releasing visual novels, I at least expect you to get the technical stuff right, but Telltale can't even do that.

I still haven't finished the first season of The Walking Dead because that worthless piece of shit lost my saves.

Honestly, I kinda hope juggling four games at once puts Telltale out of business. They deserve it.

Snicky

This perfectly captures how I feel. These could be browser based games, it feels like I am playing something that would be considered excellent 10+ years ago.

Telltale has always been shitty at supporting their games. I still refuse to buy their shit because of this.

To the people who support them, I have no sympathy for you.

EDIT: I even own BF4 for PC, and yet to encounter any problems with the game. It works how and when I want it to.

MrDaravon

I don't know a single person who played TWD Season 1 that didn't have the save issue, and at least for the people I know it was never fixed. I played through TWD Season 1 on 360 (download) and it had a shitload of hard freezes and significant load times. The retail 360 version apparently had a ton of other completely different fucked issues.

I'm super glad I played through TWD, but I got it on that crazy sale where I got the whole season at once for like $8, and that's going to continue to be the only way I get their games, dirt cheap and after the fact. This has been a continued trend for them for several releases now, I don't know what the fuck is going on over there and I've certainly been seeing people on GAF complain about it for literally years, I have no idea how they've been getting the free pass they're getting from the "press."

Kvik

They don't give a single fuck.

It really is unfortunate. I had to replay Season 1 not once, but twice because it lost my savegame. I might just hold off on purchasing Season 2 now.

If only they've used some of the Kickstarter proceedings to improve their tech support, I reckon all these drama could've been avoided. :-\

I have no idea how they've been getting the free pass they're getting from the "press."

Even on RPS where they're PC centric and normally very critical about these issues, they only mentioned it in passing.

Orayn

It really is unfortunate. I had to replay Season 1 not once, but twice because it lost my savegame. I might just hold off on purchasing Season 2 now.

If only they've used some of the Kickstarter proceedings to improve their tech support, I reckon all these drama could've been avoided. :-\

What Kickstarter? Telltale is swimming in money from normal sales and releasing broken shit anyway.

RPGCrazied

Still broken? I have it installed on PS3, but not starting it until I'm done with my replay of season 1. I'm on 400 days now though, maybe by tomorrow the kinks will be ironed out.

rrs

I have to ask why they have their own system for game ownership. Seems odd for an SP focused game

I used to think that low sales gave them little room to work things out. Not that it mattered that much; I still didn't pay full price for a single TT game.

After TWD, I'm not paying more than 3 bucks for a season of whatever game they put out.

Kinthalis

Banned
I played the PC version.

The only issue I ran into was that the gamepad would not work without changing a DX resource file. Which is not something that should have happenned, but it took all of 5 minutes to fix.

This is what we should be shitting on Telltale for, not for failing to create a million fundamentally different branching paths in a game with a modest budget.

TJP

Solution: Buy it on Steam in the first place next time
Nice.

Part of the problem is Telltale didn't inform potential customers that season 2 wasn't going to be Steam release but a direct DL instead. Based on prior releases, one could have expected to receive a Steam key on the day of release. The first chapter is out and I still haven't received my e-mail from Telltale as mentioned in the preorder e-mail. Edit: I just received the e-mail from Telltale informing me that episode one: 'All That Remains' is available for download.

Buying directly from Telltale was a way to support the developer by giving them the full price of the game rather than the 70% they earn from Steam. Instead we get many hours of waiting for a fix whilst Telltale retweet review scores and ignore requests for status updates on their forum. If you bought season 2 from GMG you're in the same situation as buying from Telltale.

At least it's now working now across mutliple platforms.

Chuck

Still without luck
Totally fucking agree. The press giving this a pass last year was pretty awful.

Hey RPS, maybe do a The Silence story on this?

Top Bottom