• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale TWD Season 2 launch is a DRM debacle. Why does this company get a free pass?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe the reviewers didn't encounter any of these problems? I've played through The Walking Dead Season 1 multiple times and never encountered a single bug or crash.
I know someone at Giantbomb got hit with the save bug. But then again, when you have access to the designers of the game, you can probably get things fixed pretty fast...

I'm done with Telltale for the time being. Maybe for good, don't know yet. I use to love Telltale. I own everything they put out until TWD. Even the CSI games. They seem to peak with Tales of Monkey Island but everything fell apart from there. Originally I thought the issue was Telltale needed a better community manager. For a long time it was some guy named Alan Johnson. Maybe he still is. He never interacted with the community at all. Before him there was Emily Morganti and she was on top of things. Also issues seem to get fixed. Since she moved on from the position, Telltale's official community response is to remade silent until the problem reaches the news sites. This was happening even before the incident with the Jurassic Park jeep. Now they are ignored completely. Is their pipeline so tight that if an issue comes up, it won't be fixed for multiple game? Is it they just don't care? I can't pin point what is wrong. All I know is if you have an issue with one of their games, there will never be a response and it will never get fixed.

So much hyperbole in this thread "I will never buy another TT product ever again!". The servers are obviously getting hammered since this is day one. You honestly think they're just going to sit back and relax while people can't login to their servers? This issue will be fixed asap.

People whining about certain graphical settings causing frame drops... others saying the game crashes all the time. It's almost like you've never played a PC game before. Starbound was completely unplayable on my beast machine until I spent 3 hours tinkering with things and even deleting registry entries. Guess what... I fixed it. I will give that the save glitch is probably the worst thing ever.. if they can't fix it they should really communicate why.

In any case there's no reason to start this shit on telltale parade for server load issues on day 1 and for issues not even related to the game.

Lafazar

So much hyperbole in this thread "I will never buy another TT product ever again!". The servers are obviously getting hammered since this is day one. You honestly think they're just going to sit back and relax while people can't login to their servers? This issue will be fixed asap.

People whining about certain graphical settings causing frame drops... others saying the game crashes all the time. It's almost like you've never played a PC game before. Starbound was completely unplayable on my beast machine until I spent 3 hours tinkering with things and even deleting registry entries. Guess what... I fixed it. I will give that the save glitch is probably the worst thing ever.. if they can't fix it they should really communicate why.

In any case there's no reason to start this shit on telltale parade for server load issues on day 1 and for issues not even related to the game.

I don't know how much of this thread or even the OP you read, but it's not just their latest game people have problems with. Quite a lot of their previous releases are quite buggy (Especially TWD1 on PC). And they refuse to fix or even acknowledge those problems.

This why I personally will never buy a Telltale game again. I actually have a lot of patience/understanding for bugs and launch problems, but not for their complete unwillingness to fix them and their nonexistent customer service.

Fox Mulder

I've had performance issues and horrible bugs across different platforms in the walking dead, puzzle agent 1, puzzle agent 2, and back to the future.

this is nothing new, many of their prior games run like shit as well.

Enco

:lol

People are defending online DRM that prevents you from playing a game that you paid for? Wow...

I won't be picking this up any time soon.

Snaku

Banned
There was a game breaking bug near the end of Back to the Future too. These guys have the shittiest QA department in the industry.

Alex

Yeah, Steam version worked perfectly peachy for me, as well. No issues, save imported fine, etc. PC version of this sucker is absolutely gorgeous, as well. They seem to crank the texture res this go 'round, for PC at least. They should make an edition for new consoles of this at some point.

Sorry I dont have anything helpful to offer. I've never really run into problems with any of my Telltale games (well, Sam & Max seasons and TWD at least, havent gotten around to any others yet)

Zach

I remember buying the Back to the Future games (PS3) for my son and at the end of one of them it said, like, "Episode 5: Available in November!" Needless to say, it didn't release in November (or whatever month) and when I posted on their forum about it, all of the other posters just acted like I was a jerk.

I just remembered that and thought I'd share.

FluxWaveZ

Incredible.

I downloaded the 1st episode last year on XBL since it was free to see whats the fuss about. To be honest I was surprised the game ran like shit in my opinion.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
PS3 version is bugged on my end as well, can't import Season 1 data, troubleshot the device and now in the process of reinstalling the game to see if that solves the problem. Worst case scenario TT has to patch the game ASAP, lets hope that won't take too long...

FluxWaveZ

PS3 version is bugged on my end as well, can't import Season 1 data, troubleshot the device and now in the process of reinstalling the game to see if that solves the problem. Worst case scenario TT has to patch the game ASAP, lets hope that won't take too long...

In your case, worst case scenario is that they don't patch it at all and I don't know if it's all that unlikely.

Ultimadrago

When you're releasing visual novels, I at least expect you to get the technical stuff right, but Telltale can't even do that.

I still haven't finished the first season of The Walking Dead because that worthless piece of shit lost my saves.

Honestly, I kinda hope juggling four games at once puts Telltale out of business. They deserve it.

Overreact much?

Anyways, my Steam downloads have been working fine (Season 1/400 Days and Season 2 Episode 1).

Manus

...lol Starbound is in beta of course its gonna be buggy. This is a full release of episode 1 season 2 and it runs like crap.

There was a game breaking bug near the end of Back to the Future too. These guys have the shittiest QA department in the industry.

And yet they are praised by the journalists. This medium needs a shake up in journalism because far too many of them ignore problems in games or just brush it off as "not a big deal".

Fiktion

Banned
Thanks for making this thread Fiktion. I was the guy that made the "Telltale is giving the silent treatment" thread in the OP. Telltale REALLY needs to be called out on this. For as much as people complain about EA, at least they generally respond and fix the game-breaking bugs. Telltale just ignores them.

I really wonder what it would take to get just a response out of this company.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
Getting super tired with this save import stuff... If Telltale would just allow the options to be entered manually in stead of having the game start with random parameters these problems wouldn't matter...

bj00rn_

Banned
We should beat the shit out of every developer around until they get it. There's nothing more frustrating than having problems without your legally bought game knowing that the pirated version that can be played for free works just fine.

It was the same during the early 90's when we had code wheels and rust-colored sheets of code papers that "couldn't be copied". The developers were crying their eyes out defending the practise because of a possible doomsday future where nobody would pay for games (of course the code wheel didn't work anyway, the pirated version was a better product since it didn't require the code wheel to be played..). Anyway, here we are today, gaming industry bigger more massive than ever.., Star Citizen, a PC game that's not even out yet, accumulating 31+ million dollars from those...dirty pirates who never pay for their games..

http://inside.rotman.utoronto.ca/laurinazhang/files/2013/11/laurina_zhang_jmp_nov4.pdf

"removing DRM increases digital music sales by 10%"

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9244818/Ron_Miller_DRM_has_always_been_a_horrible_idea

Gbraga

I didn't even know it has DRM, I thought buying directly from them would give you a DRM Free version.

That's ridiculous. You choose to support the dev in the best way possible (giving all your money directly to them) and in return you get a shitty DRM that won't let you even play your game while you could've bought it from Steam and have it working just fine.

Can't they at least give Steam keys for people when they activate their Telltate key on their website or something?

Yep. Cant believe people expect shit to just work for them if they pay for it. Fucking entitled crybabies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

LMAO, what a joke, comparing a game which just entered Beta and games which have been on the market for years and with the same game-breaking bugs coming out over and over for multiple releases with customer's support treating us with the silent game. Good going ignoring the save-game bug spanning a dozen of TT games over EVERY PLATFORM and how they're treating paying customers, why the fuck are you only talking about PC? I tell you why, cause you don't know shit but are still happy spouting petty judgements over people who rightly complain.

Raw64life

Never got past Chapter 2 in Season 1 because it kept fucking up my save. Have paid no attention to Season 2 as a result. Good riddance.

Still no response from their customer support since 9PM eastern last night. (And of course no "communicating with servers") This is pretty shitty.

Let's not forget how buggy TWD Season 1 was on PS3. I mean, I liked the game, bug those bugs...

I got the physical edition on PS3 and, while I didn't experience any save bugs like the PC, the game at times would run at like 10 to 15 fps and the last time on the Walking Dead things never worked right.

Based on their sterling record of fixing problems with their games?...oh wait

This is a completely different scenario to their previous problems. A save glitch that effects <2% of users is very much different than "can't login to the telltale servers". One is a code issue - the other is network stability. I would be extremely surprised if they didn't fix this within a day.

ebullientprism said:
Yep. Cant believe people expect shit to just work for them if they pay for it. Fucking entitled crybabies.

That's not what I said at all but thanks for confirming my hyperbole comment. I mean, sure it sucks but it's not unexpected when a game launches with DRM or a login service.

bkfount said:
I've had performance issues and horrible bugs across different platforms in the walking dead, puzzle agent 1, puzzle agent 2, and back to the future.

this is nothing new, many of their prior games run like shit as well.

Sounds like there is an issue with your system or settings. I've never had any issues with any TT game (played all of them) with the exception of the early S&M games sometimes crashing. Anecdotal evidence is fine but most people don't have an issue with the game running like shit... its mostly this save issue that people are upset about.

Dash Kappei said:
LMAO, what a joke, comparing a game which just entered Beta and games which have been on the market for years and with the same game-breaking bugs coming out over and over for multiple releases with customer's support treating us with the silent game. Good going ignoring the save-game bug spanning a dozen of TT games over EVERY PLATFORM and how they're treating paying customers, why the fuck are you only talking about PC? I tell you why, cause you don't know shit but are still happy spouting petty judgements over people who rightly complain.

You should know that it doesn't matter what game it is - I was just using starbound as a recent example. Any PC game is going to have you going to the settings to change the resolution... turn on extras etc... I've also never heard of the save issue spanning more than episode 2/3 in TWD. Might be just me never having heard of it though - ive never had any issues. I'm talking about PC because that is where the game was purchased by everyone since the console release is a day away. Not sure what you mean by your bolded comment. Your last comment is just rude!

In any case - I don't think the shitcoaster against TT is warranted. If the save glitch didn't exist would this thread exist? Nope. Is there a save glitch in Season 2? I hope not but right now theres no way to tell.

Kosma

Banned

Its no hyperbole telltale have the worst customer interaction then any other company ive ever contacted.

Ive never even seen them acknowledgr huge game breaking issues,

Twats,

They get a free pass from the games press because they use TelllTale games as their 'see, games aren't all juvenile guns and boobs!' example to their family and friends to justify their career choices. They ignore the fact that even though they have mature themes, their recent games do everything against the nature of video games by taking away interaction and consequence of player action and turning it into more of a movie experience. The irony of holding a cinematic experience as the champion to defend their interest in video games, a medium defined by interactivity, is lost on them.

Jurassic Park was busted on PS3 and TWD ran like garbage on 360 so it's no surprise to me that TWD2 is a bumpy ride also.

Fiktion

Banned
Still no response from their customer support since 9PM eastern last night. (And of course no "communicating with servers") This is pretty shitty.

I'm not sure they even have anyone in customer service. I picture an empty room with disconnected phones and stacks of unspent money.

Same thing with 2K14, there was some uproar with games earlier this year, but it seems like going forward more games will pull this shit and fly under the radar until it's commonplace a few years from now. I'm not buying this shit though, I'll have to see what happens on Youtube.

Fjordson

Server load issues are just a small part of the overall problem. I've never played any of their recent episodic games on release day actually (the closest was Wolf Among Us episode 1 a week after release) and yet they all perform poorly. Hell, I played the last two episodes of The Walking Dead months after they had come out and they were still a technical mess.

I'm not saying I'm going to boycott Telltale for the rest of my life, but I'll definitely wait even longer now with their games to make sure whatever they're releasing is at least somewhat stable.

kmg90

And this is why I don't jump on the PC gaming wagon...

Yet I keep hear how PC gaming has gotten so much more streamlined...

Trying not to turn this into a flamewar but from what's being reported only people with issues right now are PC users...

Trying not to turn this into a flamewar but from what's being reported only people with issues right now are PC users...

Shit DRM can exist on any platform. From cellphones to console to computers.

In this instance it's the PC version bought outside of Steam.

FACE

Banned

Starbound is not a finished game.

ArjanN

I've played all their games on PC and haven't experienced one problem. I guess I'm lucky

Same here.
I'm guessing most people won't have any problems, it still sucks if you're of those who do though.

Starbound is an early access beta type thing.

All the Telltale games have been better on PC.

epmode

The number of times in the last generation that I've spent three hours just trying to get a game to run: 0

Stuff is so much easier today that I can barely comprehend people complaining about difficult PC game configuration.

Jintor

The number of times in the last generation that I've spent three hours just trying to get a game to run: 0

Stuff is so much easier today that I can barely comprehend people complaining about difficult PC game configuration.

I had to edit an ini file for a shitty port job yesterday (sorry enslaved) and it was like about 5 minutes of following the instructions on the steam community forum page. It's so easy. It's not put-the-disc-in-the-drive easy but it's not too bad anymore.

That said, I definitely had my share of trouble working with TT's shitty save files last year and that was not fun

Top Bottom