• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale TWD Season 2 launch is a DRM debacle. Why does this company get a free pass?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This right here is a big problem with this company. Episode one of The Walking Dead season 1 had an issue where gamepads were not getting detected

Telltale went on to release 4 more episodes of the game and they never fixed it. They couldn't be bothered to put in the minimal amount of time to fix this stupid bug.

And then to top it off, the same bug was present when they released The Wolf Among Us. They literally never, ever go back to patch any technical problem with their games.

WOW

They really don't give two shits about their paying customers. I really hope this come back and bites them

Warewolf

Had no idea of this history, although I do recall the Jeep thing, I thought that ended up being the responsibility of transporters?

I've had nothing but clear skies with Telltale. I guess buying once the full season is out has more benefits than I thought.

Endo Punk

You know those rare moments when a game is critically acclaimed but you don't get why everyone loves it only to see a while later that the devs are assholes and the game is pretty overrated and riddled with bugs. That feeling knowing you're right, it's euphoric. TWD is prob the most overated game of the last gen. The fact it got GOTY screams at how desperately the games industry wants non-gamers to think it's mature and shit.

Anyway I was going to jump on the telltale hype train after VGX but this thread convinced me that these fools ain't worth the time.

mobius006

Downloaded cloud save of completed season 1 and 400 to my new super slim ps3 with an ssd. Had no issues with the save, as well as pretty rock soild frame rate.

Game was great.

Fine paying 25 for it as I paid 15 for season 1.

5 bucks for 3 hours of fun? Take that every day... All day.

Pudge

You know those rare moments when a game is critically acclaimed but you don't get why everyone loves it only to see a while later that the devs are assholes and the game is pretty overrated and riddled with bugs. That feeling knowing you're right, it's euphoric. TWD is prob the most overated game of the last gen. The fact it got GOTY screams at how desperately the games industry wants non-gamers to think it's mature and shit.

Anyway I was going to jump on the telltale hype train after VGX but this thread convinced me that these fools ain't worth the time.

Preach man. I didn't know about most of this stuff, but it totally jives with the attitude I've seen from these guys. I remember the hyperbole they were talking about Jurassic Park before that shitstorm came out. And then Walking Dead came out and everyone heaped praise on it and I still can't imagine why. Playing games is supposed to be fun, not heart breaking.

fleck0

Sad, I wonder how much of a mess the nearly 10 year old "Telltale Tool Engine" is at this point.

While TWD1 was easily my GOTY the way they handled Episode releases and the save bug which forced me to replay ep 3 have put Telltale permanently in the "Wait for a Sale / The whole game is out" category.

I play TWD since Episode 2. I only had one bug that i fixxed in seconds (Savegame bug). I just copy my savegames after every episode into another folder just for the Savegame Bug.

And playing Season 2 was no problem at all.

I understand why many of you are dissapointed with Telltale because they cant play Season 2 because they bought the Telltale DRM version.

But Battlefield 4,Skyrim,Oblivion got a pass too. And that are some big Teams there. So a small team of maybe 50 People working on TWD should get a pass too.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
But Battlefield 4,Skyrim,Oblivion got a pass too. And that are some big Teams there. So a small team of maybe 50 People working on TWD should get a pass too.

I don't think Battlefield 4 is getting a pass at all. Skyrim on PS3 got a pass though, yeah.

No company should get a pass for releasing a broken product. Period. Big or small. 700 man dev team or one man dev. You charge people money? You deliver.

I play TWD since Episode 2. I only had one bug that i fixxed in seconds (Savegame bug). I just copy my savegames after every episode into another folder just for the Savegame Bug.

I understand why many of you are dissapointed with Telltale because they cant play Season 2 because they bought the Telltale DRM version.

that save fix doesnt work for everyone though. for me I played season 1 of TWD, upto the end of chapter 4 its was fine, but when it came to 5 all the issues happened. For one reason the game kept acting like chapter 5 wasnt out (it was), if i removed my save game, chapter 5 was selectable (obviously none of my choices were done then).

So I tried that 'fix', and what did it do? unlocked chapter 5 (but my choices were partly randmised (so not much different from deleting my save and starting fresh on chapter 5). For some people that save fix did nothing at all.

so yeah, Telltale are in my bad books after this debacle, and for what it's worth, my TWD was a steam version

Jintor

well, it's more like they should all get called out imho

that save fix doesnt work for everyone though. for me I played season 1 of TWD, upto the end of chapter 4 its was fine, but when it came to 5 all the issues happened. For one reason the game kept acting like chapter 5 wasnt out (it was), if i removed my save game, chapter 5 was selectable (obviously none of my choices were done then).

So I tried that 'fix', and what did it do? unlocked chapter 5 (but my choices were partly randmised (so not much different from deleting my save and starting fresh on chapter 5). For some people that save fix did nothing at all.

so yeah, Telltale are in my bad books after this debacle, and for what it's worth, my TWD was a steam version

Yup, same for me though I never got to episode 5. None of the tricks helped me to correctly get through episode 3, had all kinds of bugs and even game crashes. Tried all the bug fixes (provided NOT by Telltale but users of their forum) and replayed everything up to the third chapter 3 times in total. Didn't touch the game after that and still mourn. the 13€ it cost me.

so1337

Ridiculous. I don't want to deal with this crap anymore. Not gonna bother with any future Telltale products (including TWD season 2).

I'm glad I passed on this and The Wolf Among Us. I knew they wouldn't fix their shit after Season 1. Such an overrated and undeserving of praise developer when your goddamn games don't work.

Boem

Just downloaded the game, can't get past the title screen. Problems like this happen each and every time they release something these days. It's ridiculous. I really like their writers and designers, and I've been a fan since the days of Sam & Max season 1, but I simply can't keep supporting this company. Someone up in management just stopped giving a shit about costumer support. It's a shame too, because back in the day (the days of Emily Morganti) they were one of the best in keeping in touch with their audience - being honest about flaws in their designs, openly discussing everything. Hell, I've received free extra copies of their games and free promotional stuff without even asking, just because I was a (very small!) part of their community. I'm not expecting them to keep that up now that they've gotten bigger, but completely fucking over their costumers is getting very tiring. This company has gotten very weird in recent years.

I still really love their games, and I honestly believe all their writers/designers/artists are trying to make the best games they can with the resources they have, but this is the last time I've given them my money. I have to draw the line somewhere. Kevin Bruner, Dan Conners: get your shit together.

Edit: about what not_so_special below me said: absolutely. It just comes across as extremely dishonest. They're very buddy/buddy with sites like IGN and Giantbomb, which was fine when they were a small company trying to find their way, but these days it's getting ridiculous. I'm fine with their games getting more casual, but I do want their games to work, and for people to get what they paid for. Hell, even bothering to answer to e-mails to their support would be something. Most of the time you're just ignored. From the forums it seems like their support centre is just one guy trying to keep up relations with everyone. It's ridiculous, and completely unprofessional. I have to wonder if this is partly why Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman left - they seemed to be the last voices of integrity at the company.

on the tech side and customer suport telltalle is one of the worst developers i have seen in years

they still have the windows 8 ddl thing on all their new games,for god´s sake

but the sad truth is this,they have a lot of ties with people on the gaming press,they are friends with a lot of journos and they are the new "media darling" go and see the twitter feed of some of these people like gary whitta or other journos

the fact they won developers of the years is mindblowing

Lafazar

I will never buy anything from this company again and I was one of their first supporters when they started with Sam & Max. The save bug and shoddy controller support on TWD1 that was never fixed to this day pisses me off to no end.

I completely understand that bugs happen in game development. What I don't understand is not only not fixing them but not even responding to their customers with a reason or explanation why. It makes them come off as both incompetent and uncaring.

I stopped buying TellTale games after purchasing a couple of their games on iOS. Every one (except for the Puzzle Agent games) have been completely and utterly unplayable on "supported" devices.

Ditto for me but it was Monkey Island on Wii. I know 40mb is tiny for a game but it was a broken mess. The tipping point was a Telltale rep not calmly explaining technical issues they had with console limitations but instead mouthing off about how crap the platform was - don't make it for that platform if it won't work and don't behave terribly afterwards!

It's really mind-blowing how they do seem to get a free pass from the gaming media. I mean bugs can happen and everything but their complete apathy towards remedying the situation is really infuriating.

I can however assure you they do not get a free pass from me. Everyone should vote with their wallet.

softie

I loved Sam & Max and Monkey Island, I even bought TWD for Vita, but enough is enough. I really hope they won't be successful with their next games and get their shit together. >[

-MD-

I'm glad I passed on this and The Wolf Among Us. I knew they wouldn't fix their shit after Season 1. Such an overrated and undeserving of praise developer when your goddamn games don't work.

Game works fine for me. Season 1 did too.

kudoboi

People are buying season 2 on PC even after season 1 still being broke ass?

i pre ordered it on steam because i did not have problems with season 1. the only problem i had with S1 was my controller not being recognized by the game which was fixed within mins after doing some googling.

i just completed EP1 of S2 on PC and i did not encounter any problems either

lefantome

Because they make games based on ip people like and because TWD is so good!111

I don't like their game at all but this doesn't make me hit harder on the company because of a new DRM debacle.

UrbanRats

The saves bug is the reason why i never bought TWD 1, despite really liking the demo.
Their totally lack of acknowledgement on the issue, is why i won't but any of their future games (until they do).
Really a shitty attitude, that i don't care to support.

Sad to see they haven't changed.

R1CHO

They are pretty much full of shit regarding their consumer support. Not buying another one of their games since walking dead season one, what a clusterfuck that was... And i want to play Fables... but not going to happen.

Fuck them and fuck their friends in the media.

eot

Banned
Them not doing anything about the save bug in TWD was enough for me to hold off on any of their future games. Sucks for the people who are hit by this, but I think it will catch up to Telltale eventually.

Zafir

Just downloaded the game, can't get past the title screen. Problems like this happen each and every time they release something these days. It's ridiculous. I really like their writers and designers, and I've been a fan since the days of Sam & Max season 1, but I simply can't keep supporting this company. Someone up in management just stopped giving a shit about costumer support. It's a shame too, because back in the day (the days of Emily Morganti) they were one of the best in keeping in touch with their audience - being honest about flaws in their designs, openly discussing everything. Hell, I've received free extra copies of their games and free promotional stuff without even asking, just because I was a (very small!) part of their community. I'm not expecting them to keep that up now that they've gotten bigger, but completely fucking over their costumers is getting very tiring. This company has gotten very weird in recent years.

I still really love their games, and I honestly believe all their writers/designers/artists are trying to make the best games they can with the resources they have, but this is the last time I've given them my money. I have to draw the line somewhere. Kevin Bruner, Dan Conners: get your shit together.

Edit: about what not_so_special below me said: absolutely. It just comes across as extremely dishonest. They're very buddy/buddy with sites like IGN and Giantbomb, which was fine when they were a small company trying to find their way, but these days it's getting ridiculous. I'm fine with their games getting more casual, but I do want their games to work, and for people to get what they paid for. Hell, even bothering to answer to e-mails to their support would be something. Most of the time you're just ignored. From the forums it seems like their support centre is just one guy trying to keep up relations with everyone. It's ridiculous, and completely unprofessional. I have to wonder if this is partly why Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman left - they seemed to be the last voices of integrity at the company.
Pretty much. The site change, which all the fans hated but they went along with it anyway was the final straw for many. I haven't browsed their forums since that change.

hohoXD123

That's my point. If it's Steam, it'll say Steam. If it doesn't and someone bought it anyway assuming it was a Steam key, they have no right to be angry at anyone but themselves.

I am away from my PC until the weekend so I haven't got a chance to try Season 2 yet, but I had absolutely no issues with Season 1. No save bugs, no crashes... nothing.

However, I -think- (can't quite remember) when I played 400 Days, the uh... thing at the side of the road was not the thing it should have been, so I'm curious to see if my save is affected or not. I am not 100% sure on that because it happened so quickly and I wasn't paying very close attention.

Not really. If it doesn't state the method of distribution and for the past games steam keys were used, the probability of it being Steam this time will be higher. Can't exactly blame the consumers for making an assumption with at least some basis.

fwpx

Hopefully the hype dying down will force them to fix their broken products. I remember spending hours trying to fix save bugs for Season 1

mechphree

Telltale has a problem with supporting their games after release. Many of them have bugs or technical problems that take ages for them to update and tech support is non existent.

2San

Damn, I now feel bad for buying the TWD season 1. I can't stand companies like these. Thanks for the heads up though, not going to bother with future releases.

CloudWolf

Maybe the reviewers didn't encounter any of these problems? I've played through The Walking Dead Season 1 multiple times and never encountered a single bug or crash.

WARP10CK

Banned

Battlefield 4 is not getting a pass people are furious the list of complaints are through the roof

i pre ordered it on steam because i did not have problems with season 1. the only problem i had with S1 was my controller not being recognized by the game which was fixed within mins after doing some googling.

i just completed EP1 of S2 on PC and i did not encounter any problems either

it was a random issue, someone were ok, some not, which makes it worse lol.

if ya have no problems thats good!

I still needa finish season 1... why did i decide to play the awful vita one (._. )

theRizzle

Not really. If it doesn't state the method of distribution and for the past games steam keys were used, the probability of it being Steam this time will be higher. Can't exactly blame the consumers for making an assumption with at least some basis.

I guess you missed the post above where the guy said it clearly stated on the GMG page it used Telltale DRM?

taoofjord

Thanks for making this thread Fiktion. I was the guy that made the "Telltale is giving the silent treatment" thread in the OP. Telltale REALLY needs to be called out on this. For as much as people complain about EA, at least they generally respond and fix the game-breaking bugs. Telltale just ignores them.

Top Bottom