• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale TWD Season 2 launch is a DRM debacle. Why does this company get a free pass?

Fox Mulder

Telltale has always got a pass for their garbage, but that's the gaming media. They give plenty of broken games a pass.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
With all this in mind, why does this company get a free pass when it commits a Sim City style sin for a point and click adventure game? When they're caught boosting their own ratings on Metacritic and refusing to address complaints, where is the media attention and fanfare? Why are they still considered one of the "good" companies when they treat customers the way they do?

Because the games press is obsessed with video games being accepted as a storytelling medium, and since Telltale is one of the few companies at the forefront of that movement, they get a pass.

theRizzle

I get all the issues with the game not working, but I have absolutely no compassion for anyone who bought from GMG without bothering to read the product page. I have purchased from GMG numerous times and they make it very clear if you are getting a Steam, Origin, Uplay or whatever else key.

Zafir

I get all the issues with the game not working, but I have absolutely no compassion for anyone who bought from GMG without bothering to read the product page. I have purchased from GMG numerous times and they make it very clear if you are getting a Steam, Origin, Uplay or whatever else key.
From what I read, people were suggesting it didn't initially say it was a telltale key. I have no way of verifying that though, I personally bought it from telltale directly anyway.

Wish they'd have given out a steam key anyway, with Wolf Among Us they did.

I bought season one last Steam summer sale I think back when only the first two episodes were out. Played the first episode and it was cool then going into the second one my progress was completely gone. Looked into it for months and nothing then I came across some weird fix that I can't remember for the life of me. Really soured overall experience

Wow, I had no idea how awful TellTale is as a company. I was going to buy episode one tomorrow too!

No worries, I'll just wait until they release the disc version and I'll buy it used. I'm not giving any money to a company that pulls this sort of crap. Shame too, as I absolutely adored TWD Season 1.

Cartman86

Banned
When I purchased my copy on Green Man Gaming, I fully expected that it would come with a Steam Key as Season 1 and 400 Days did. It didn't, because Telltale suddenly wants to push their own DRM servers, probably to save a few cents by not giving Valve a cut. It is anti-consumerism at its worst.

That's not how Steam works. I don't believe Valve gets a cut from outside sales. They are just happy to get you in the Eco system at all at that point.

Fiktion

Banned

I think most of us would be perfectly happy to suck it up and play the version we got, even though it was not the one we thought we were buying, except we fucking can't. Insult to injury.

Anung

Un Rama
Wahey. It's finally let me be allowed to play the game after a 4-5 hour wait (admittedly I was killing the time on Killzone.) It is now 2:53 so I'll have to destroy my sleeping pattern to actually enjoy the thing I paid for. Fucking Anti-consumer DRM bullshit. Punished for being a loyal customer.

theRizzle

From what I read, people were suggesting it didn't initially say it was a telltale key. I have no way of verifying that though, I personally bought it from telltale directly anyway.

Wish they'd have given out a steam key anyway, with Wolf Among Us they did.

That's my point. If it's Steam, it'll say Steam. If it doesn't and someone bought it anyway assuming it was a Steam key, they have no right to be angry at anyone but themselves.

I am away from my PC until the weekend so I haven't got a chance to try Season 2 yet, but I had absolutely no issues with Season 1. No save bugs, no crashes... nothing.

However, I -think- (can't quite remember) when I played 400 Days, the uh... thing at the side of the road was not the thing it should have been, so I'm curious to see if my save is affected or not. I am not 100% sure on that because it happened so quickly and I wasn't paying very close attention.

Was pretty excited to play this on PC.

My god damn season one saves aren't' recognized, they somehow got corrupted. Can't recover them using any of the methods I found online. Son of a fuck.

Salsa

as I said in the other threads I get either a "Season 1 complete" save or a "Episode 4 + 400 days complete" save

not both

even when I do everything online/copy every file etc

I can eventually get to a save where I have ep 5 completed AND a near-end savegame for 400 days

so I play that, on season 1

after I finish 400 days again, the splash screen shows that I have not completed episode 5

even tho it said so right before I started 400 days

playing through 400 days basically deletes the save for ep 5, or the game acknowledging that I finished it

it makes no sense, whatsoever.

I guess i'll just have to let it generate whatever the fuck it decides for 400 days. Even tho I did play it, thought every decision through and all

im fucking pissed

Damaniel

Banned
Bought it on Steam, worked fine for me.

Rule number one of PC gaming - don't buy games anywhere but Steam and save yourself the hassle.

NeoGash

I sort of forgave them already, but not entirely and I most definitely didn't forget. They never informed Australian's and New Zealander's who were following their game that it wouldn't be released there. They always give the silent treatment and they gave weak' shitty excuses. They are cheap bastards for sure.

The bugs and glitches are astounding. It looks like a poor game from the PS2 era, yet runs so poor as if it is pushing unbelievable graphics. Bethesda got waaaaaay more shit, but they had an open world with infinite possibilities. These guys have ONE JOB; make an extremely linear fucking story game with no gameplay. Pathetic to say the least.

I love TWD games they make, but I will never buy anything from them EVER on day one, on sale only. What a hack of a developer, their 'schtick' is a poor and fucking buggy mess. They think they can handle 4 series at once? LOLOLOLOLOL, they couldn't wipe their own f'ing ass.

Rant over. Just pissed off that a brilliant 'game' series is being ruined by a bunch of incompetent c**ts. Seriously, they are lucky they don't have to release games in competitive genres or else we'd have a means for comparison and they'd be exposed for the frauds they are

EDIT: Wow, I sound like an angry little bitch. Don't read too much into the bad words, I love TWD, but I'm just so disappointed that Telltale have every opportunity to make a masterpiece, but then trip over at the finish line.

My PS3 version had three issues.

1) Old PS3 save files didn't work. Even when pulled from online. I did purchase the CE disc version, so maybe this was the issue? 400 Days gave me the same runaround.

2) Couldn't get past a scenario very early in the game. Took a video and put it on their forums. Turns out I had to delete my save file to get past this point. I had already done this prior to reaching out to them on their boards, so when he told me to see if deleting worked, I went ahead and deleted S1 and 400 days. Seemed to work.

3) Framerate at the worst possible times - Not as bad as part 2 and 3 of Season 1, but still had some areas that made the game difficult to play. I don't get how they could do this AGAIN. I have a launch fat and a new white slim from this year, huge issues on both.

I hate to say it, but I'm getting immune to games not working when I get them. I need to stop being so complacent.

Forever

Banned
That's my point. If it's Steam, it'll say Steam. If it doesn't and someone bought it anyway assuming it was a Steam key, they have no right to be angry at anyone but themselves.

I am away from my PC until the weekend so I haven't got a chance to try Season 2 yet, but I had absolutely no issues with Season 1. No save bugs, no crashes... nothing.

However, I -think- (can't quite remember) when I played 400 Days, the uh... thing at the side of the road was not the thing it should have been, so I'm curious to see if my save is affected or not. I am not 100% sure on that because it happened so quickly and I wasn't paying very close attention.

lol this is some ridiculous victim blaming. Their games don't work. Of course they're angry.

You should work for EA or something.

theRizzle

lol this is some ridiculous victim blaming. Their games don't work. Of course they're angry.

You should work for EA or something.

My post has nothing to do with the game not working?

What does buying from GMG and expecting a Steam key even though it doesn't say anywhere you'll get one have to do with the functionality of the game?

daveo42

Banned
Damn, that's pretty shitty. I know that people want these games to come out, but Telltale needs to fix their shit prior to launch. Hell, they need to fix their old shit first. I actually feel somewhat bad about supporting them for releasing buggy messes and then take forever or don't fix them.

Good luck to all those still running into issues. I never had any problems with the PC version so far. *knock on wood*

Forever

Banned
My post has nothing to do with the game not working?

What does buying from GMG and expecting a Steam key even though it doesn't say anywhere you'll get one have to do with the functionality or the game?
Because the Steam keys are working and the others aren't. The issues aren't separable. It's the company's obligation to make sure the customers receive working copies.

It's amazing how far people will go to defend corporate BS.

Dolor

Hate to say it but if you are buying a PC game and not looking at the DRM scheme attached to it, you are doing it wrong.

Steam or bust for me, but you should always know before you buy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After getting burned on TWD Season 1 and facing similar radio silence, I vowed to never purchase a game from these guys again unless it was fully released, heavily discounted, and I could confirm more or less that the big issues had been resolved.

theRizzle

Because the Steam keys are working and the others aren't. The issues aren't separable. It's the company's obligation to make sure the customers receive working copies.

It's amazing how far people will go to defend corporate BS.

So you think if I walk into a McDonalds and order a Big Mac I get to freak out because I didn't get a piece of fish on it?

And what does this have to do with EA? Go troll another thread please.

i stopped listening to idle thumbs because every time those guys would talk about the critical reception of their game i found myself yelling out loud about how they sold a broken piece of shit. i figured that wasnt healthy so i moved on.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Ouch, sucks for PC gamers. Good thing I'm waiting for the console releases.

So, on top of the problems, you'll get a steeper price and horrible performance.
Smart!

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/...d_episode_5_no_time_left/f/2520/t/393115.aspx

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/30924/ps3-walking-dead-deleted-all-my-saves

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/46886/xbox-360-400days-patch-deleted-saves

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/36401/twd-ep-4-deleted-my-save-game-twice-xbox-360

I didn't have problems on PC but I did on iOS, which is where I had Season 1 + 400 days. First I had my save deleted after downloading ep3, then the system wiped out the 400 days DLC (before I could play it!) and it doesn't let me restore the IAP (it says I should log on the device "I've bought the game on" to redownload it), asking me to pay again. Contacted TT several times, no response. They clearly care a lot about their fanbase, goddamn.

Problems on PC/console/mobile were widespread and well reported, I hate when people (not referring to you man) chime in to say "meh, my copy was perfect, not a big deal anyway"... didn't happen to you (and me, in the case of the PC sku) doesn't mean it's perfect or that there's a problem on the customer's side of things if that happened to many others.
Fucking hate that shitty of attitude.

Fiktion

Banned
So, on top of the problems, you'll get a steeper price and horrible performance.
Smart!

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/...d_episode_5_no_time_left/f/2520/t/393115.aspx

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/30924/ps3-walking-dead-deleted-all-my-saves

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/46886/xbox-360-400days-patch-deleted-saves

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/36401/twd-ep-4-deleted-my-save-game-twice-xbox-360

I didn't have problems on PC but I did on iOS, which is where I had Season 1 + 400 days. First I had my save deleted after downloading ep3, then the system wiped out the 400 days DLC (before I could play it!) and it doesn't let me restore the IAP (it says I should log on the device "I've bought the game on" to redownload it), asking me to pay again. Contacted TT several times, no response. They clearly care a lot about their fanbase, goddamn.

Problems on PC/console/mobile were widespread and well reported, I hate when people (not referring to you man) chime in to say "meh, my copy was perfect, not a big deal anyway"... didn't happen to you (and me, in the case of the PC sku) doesn't mean it's perfect or that there's a problem on the customer's side of things if that happened to many others.
Fucking hate that shitty of attitude.

They've been getting away with it for a long time now, that's the most annoying thing. They have absolutely no incentive to get their shit together. Just refuse to acknowledge that anything is wrong and the press will play along. Perception is reality.

Ratrat

I'm done with Telltale for the near future. The way they treat Wolf Among Us is embarassing, if you do an episodic game do it right. They know how to do it right. Delaying an episode a whole month only to release the next episodic game is a shitty move. I can already see where this goes, we end up getting new episodes every four months because they release Wolf, Walking Dead, Borderlands, Game of Thrones each one episode a month. I'm just glad I didn't buy the season pass, from now on I will buy Telltale games only when the full season is out and on sale.
I agree with this. Shameful!

theRizzle

Hasn't this save bug existed since Episode 2 of Season 1? It's pretty bad that it's still an issue. And apparently it's not one that only a couple people are having either.

I can mostly understand the server connection problems on launch day (no excuse for it but unfortunately this isn't the first or last game to have that problem) but this save bug?

Come on man.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
They definitely shouldn't get a free pass. I haven't bought a single game from them given their terrible history of support.

I'm glad I decide to wait for the entire season to come out and hopefully Telltale will fix everything unlike last time. I had no issues last time but knowing I could lose my save again sucks

Replicant

I didn't know TellTale uses DRM. "The Wolf Amongst Us" was going to be my first purchase of their game but if the DRM thing is true, I'd not touch it with a ten foot pole.

Fjordson

Yeah, it's becoming an unfortunate trend I think. I had some really annoying technical issues throughout the first season of Walking Dead and the first episode of The Wolf Among Us had some nasty framerate problems and transition hitches. Definitely waiting on the rest of Wolf Among Us and WD season 2 now.

Helmholtz

I don't know a single person who played TWD Season 1 that didn't have the save issue, and at least for the people I know it was never fixed. I played through TWD Season 1 on 360 (download) and it had a shitload of hard freezes and significant load times. The retail 360 version apparently had a ton of other completely different fucked issues.

I'm super glad I played through TWD, but I got it on that crazy sale where I got the whole season at once for like $8, and that's going to continue to be the only way I get their games, dirt cheap and after the fact. This has been a continued trend for them for several releases now, I don't know what the fuck is going on over there and I've certainly been seeing people on GAF complain about it for literally years, I have no idea how they've been getting the free pass they're getting from the "press."
Neither me or my friend had the issue. But hearing about it is very disappointing. In games like these it's unacceptable really.
And the real crime here is that people don't get to experience Season 1. Because that game is possibly my favourite game of all time, it's really incredible.

I was considering getting Season 2, but the episodic nature of it was a real turn off for me. Is there any schedule as to when the remaining episodes will be released?

Yeah I've been trying to contact their support. Got one response after about 4 hours, nothing since. Their forums are about as unhelpful, but the moderators there at least respond sometimes.

It's past midnight so I missed the launch day entirely. Fun stuff.

I definitely need to stop buying from their site directly, cause their DRM is so unstable, but I get lured in by things like collectors edition DVDs.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Season 2 loaded up fine for me on steam, but i did it hours after the unlock rush. Still though, i'd call a debacle something like BF 4 where shit is broke weeks after release.

Still rather this not happen. Actually i wasnt even aware there was drm outside of the steam drm.

Season 2 loaded up fine for me on steam, but i did it hours after the unlock rush. Still though, i'd call a debacle something like BF 4 where shit is broke weeks after release.

Still rather this not happen. Actually i wasnt even aware there was drm outside of the steam drm.

The problem is more for people who bought it from Telltalegames.com

... Do we really not know why they get away with it?
Cause bitches can frikkin write. People will take some shit for a game with good writing. Some serious shit.
Though of course, some god damn QA would be nice. Still stare bug eyed at how shitty the original series runs [inbetween crying my little eyes out with emotions, anyway].

MrBS

I got stung with telltale DRM after foolishly assuming steam DRM when I purchased The Wold Among Us from GMG (for the record it was clearly mentioned on GMG that it would use telltale DRM)

That ended up with the authentication servers down the majority of the launch weekend. Made damn sure not to do that again.

Roto13

Maybe because games press get free copies, probably for console versions without these specific problems, and either way if they run into any issues Telltale fixes them swiftly? I don't know. But that DRM stuff sounds horrendous.

The press gets Steam copies.

I didn't know TellTale uses DRM. "The Wolf Amongst Us" was going to be my first purchase of their game but if the DRM thing is true, I'd not touch it with a ten foot pole.

Just buy it on Steam. Like you were probably going to anyway.

I played the PC version.

The only issue I ran into was that the gamepad would not work without changing a DX resource file. Which is not something that should have happenned, but it took all of 5 minutes to fix.

This right here is a big problem with this company. Episode one of The Walking Dead season 1 had an issue where gamepads were not getting detected for some folks. It required a certain .dll file to be downloaded and placed in the game directory and then everything was peachy. As mentioned, this took all of 5 minutes to resolve. However, Telltale went on to release 4 more episodes of the game and they never fixed it. They couldn't be bothered to put in the minimal amount of time to fix this stupid bug.

And then to top it off, the same bug was present when they released The Wolf Among Us. They literally never, ever go back to patch any technical problem with their games.

This right here is a big problem with this company. Episode one of The Walking Dead season 1 had an issue where gamepads were not getting detected for some folks. It required a certain .dll file to be downloaded and placed in the game directory and then everything was peachy. As mentioned, this took all of 5 minutes to resolve. However, Telltale went on to release 4 more episodes of the game and they never fixed it. They couldn't be bothered to put in the minimal amount of time to fix this stupid bug.

And then to top it off, the same bug was present when they released The Wolf Among Us. They literally never, ever go back to patch any technical problem with their games.

That missing DLL is still a problem with all their games on Windows 8. Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 2 included.

Luckilly I have had it since I needed it for Walking Dead and can copy/paste it right over, but why the hell can't THEY do that?

Top Bottom