• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What? You turn if you die. There is no extra knowledge the show has over the game. Zombie bite causes death (see: Duck), any kind of death causes zombification (see: Ben's coach).

And yeah, he still dies.

Yes. And he still pulls off everything like a bawss.

Also, yeah I agree with you, which is actually why I made a decision contrary to that just to see what would happen, heh.

Ben basically explained all of that in episode 2 as well. Plus Clem knew why Lee had to put a bullet in the stranger's head after choking him out
Oh yeah, I totally forgot that it was revealed in episode 2.

So knowing that, I figured you were fucked either way... in which case, why bother cutting your arm off?

No.

But come on.
I hope they never mention Clem again, to be honest. lol

Cry mode: activated.

GOTY hands down, Vanaman fucking knocks it outta the park. ball game! he went yardo on that one.
I don't think I want to know what would have happened if I cut my arm off. Some things are best left unexplained.
Me either. Figured it was Kenny and Ben on the hill, since you never see them die.
lol you're fucking crazy. Ben is a kebab.

It was a nice touch to see the looters get their just desserts. I like to think the boat is out there for someone.

denshuu

Those PC stats are kind of interesting. 60%+ of people gave up their weapons to the stranger? That's craziness. Like 80% of PSN kept the knife.

And then Clem smoked his ass anyway.

Also, "This is going to hurt" is my new favorite tooltip of all time.

NZNova

Goddamn it. No luck rescuing the save games. Completely fucking ruined this experience for me. Thank you, shitty save game bug in a game that advertises your choices mattering as one of its primary features.

Interesting, I didn't realize that there was an option for Clem to end up killing station wagon guy. Cool. Also, I'm annoyed that I had Clem stop Lee from turning. Don't remember what I chose, but I kept yelling at the screen "Don't waste the bullet, Clem, he's already chained up!" Heh, guess it's my fault Clem choose sentimentality over practicality in the end.

For me anyways, I just saw it as Kenny finally fed up with life because everything was completely turning up shit in his life.

I mean, his wife and kid are gone, he got beaten by a bunch of cancer survivor/patients and his boat stolen, and berated the shit out of Ben and ended up feeling like an asshole for it by the end. He's got no other plan, and I just saw it as him wanting to be done, especially after seeing the couple in the bed.
I think the scene would have fit Kenny's character better if there had been at least a slight possibility of saving Ben - then the sacrifice had the potential of meaning something. But he was impaled by a balcony, so Kenny wasn't sacrificing himself for anything, he just choose suicide at a really inopportune moment, right after he insisted suicide was the wrong choice.

jediyoshi

Finished up, here's the stats as of just now

LxRCj.jpg

If the arm removal was an option towards the middle of the episode I would've tried it, otherwise it just seemed like too much functionality to lose. That and I figured exactly where the ending was going for a while now after the end of episode 4 cemented it, so I didn't humor the idea of Lee making it out

Mazzo

It was an enjoyable experience. Can't really call it my GOTY because the gameplay was pretty crude. Would've enjoyed if it had more challenging puzzles, and less QTEs. I'm up to the sequel, anyway!

I ended up telling Clem to just leave me behind, for pretty much all the reasons the dialogue option listed. (Though I chose that it would be a waste of a bullet) I agreed with the explanation that Lee gave, that he would be stuck in there either way, and Clem would probably be long gone by the time he turned. Thus, it would be better for her to save the bullet just in case she runs into any threats outside. Lee even imparts a lesson of thriftiness onto Clem with that option.

Although I was a bit disappointed that Ben never became useful, I still felt that him telling off Kenny was the defining moment of his character, so I still was glad that I kept him alive in episode 4.

As for the Stranger, I liked how they closed off that seemingly minor point from episode 2. From my civil conversation with him, I saw that he represented a sort of "Anti-Chuck," if you will. Whereas Chuck had a realistic point-of-view that Clem should learn to defend herself and make the tough choices the world will require of her, the Stranger, who was clearly nuts, argued the polar opposite of that view. The loss of his family caused him to be completely overprotective of Clem, getting angry at the slightest hint of Lee putting her in any danger, even if said danger was unforeseen or unavoidable. The Stranger's "solution" seemed to be to shut her in the hotel and not let her near any potential dangers, which would obviously lead to her doom in the long-term.

First off easily GOTY, nothing even comes close narrative wise.

Secondly Telltale you guys are assholes, you have Clem standing there crying, begging Lee to get up and come with her and you let him die? :( I cut off his arm at the beginning of the episode and allthough he was turning greyer throughout I kept telling myself it was just from the bloodloss and then he goes and dies anyway.

First off easily GOTY, nothing even comes close narrative wise.

Secondly Telltale you guys are assholes, you have Clem standing there crying, begging Lee to get up and come with her and you let him die? :( I cut off his arm at the beginning of the episode and allthough he was turning greyer throughout I kept telling myself it was just from the bloodloss and then he goes and dies anyway.

I thought for sure he would be able to stand up during the second QTE after Clem told him to get up. I really wanted him to be there for her at least until she got outside that building. Fucked up that he had to die there without knowing if she would make it out okay with all those zombies outside.

People cut their arms off thinking it would help? How naive.

I cut my arm off because it's a video game.

There is precedent for it in both the comic books and the TV series. If you cut the limb off fast enough and you don't die of blood loss, anyway. Could be that Lee actually dies from blood loss if you cut his arm off

(comic + tv spoilers)
Dale survived getting bitten once because they amputated his leg in time, and Hershel survived the same way on the show

Not that I honestly thought it would help though. I just did it because I thought it was cool that they gave you the option.

Just finished. Also my GOTY. I feel a game such as this is the natural evolution of the adventure genre, which thrills me that it exists and that it is so good. It also sold me on the episodic format as both a narrative and game play device.

demidar

So I take it the jewelery store is the end regardless of what you did?

Just finished, so good. It was nice seeing Lee go badass on the zombie horde, was a nice bit of empowerment.

Bad7667

Just finished the game. Up till now it was a tie between X-Com and The Walking Dead for GOTY. Well not anymore, man the ending is so damn good. Not since the end of half-life 2 ep 2 did I feel so emotional. I wanted so bad a dialogue option to tell Clem I loved her but then they give you an even more depressing option "I'll miss you".

Well done Telltale.

So anybody know what happens to Kenny if Ben stays dead?

In my game I had Kenny, Christa and Omid with me. Kenny bumped into Lee after they jumped from the balcony onto the roof and dropped the walkie talkie into the big square hole in the roof...Christa jumped down to get it but she couldn't get back up, so Kenny jumped down there and gave her a boost and shot some zombies, then he ran away and wasn't seen again. He was yelling some shit but then he just kind of trailed off and that was it.

jerry113

Banned
Just finished the game. Up till now it was a tie between X-Com and The Walking Dead for GOTY. Well not anymore, man the ending is so damn good. Not since the end of half-life 2 ep 2 did I feel so emotional. I wanted so bad a dialogue option to tell Clem I loved her but then they give you an even more depressing option "I'll miss you".

Well done Telltale.

A turn-based strategy game and a point-and-click adventure game up as contenders for GOTY in 2012!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Loved it. Only thing I would have changed would have been Clem shooting Lee, in that I would have made it so you were seeing from Lee's first person perspective while she aimed and pulled the trigger. A kind of "this is the last thing you'll ever see".

I thought it was kind of weird that Clem just kinda ended up in the country in the post credits sequence, with no resolution to Omid and Christa. Wasn't a big deal as I figured them finding each other would be impossible, but I hope those two show up in the next season.

The only technical issue I had, at least with the narrative, was Lee acknowledging Christa was pregnant, but I don't know if that was the game just running with what the player already assumes, and thus Lee would. I would have liked it to be a dialogue option or part of the narrative though, as up until that point the game was going out of its way to push it to the sidelines.

I didn't cry but I did get the lump in my throat. Clem and Lee's final moments were perfect, and I was shitting myself as she was trying to escape from the walker. It was just so much awfulness, in the most bitter sweet way. I also liked that crazy dude was actually legit crazy, and not some masterful villain who was seeking revenge. He was just a dude who lost everything and then lost himself.

During the very final moment I was so sure the game was going to do a "fuck you" and have, while Clem was peering at the two silhouettes on the horizon, a hoard of silhouettes rise up over the hill. Glad it didn't :lol.

Might post more thoughts later. For me, day one season two, no question, and this will be on my top ten GOTY list for GAF's voting.

Thoraxes

I didn't cry but I did get the lump in my throat. Clem and Lee's final moments were perfect, and I was shitting myself as she was trying to escape from the walker. It was just so much awfulness, in the most bitter sweet way. I also liked that crazy dude was actually legit crazy, and not some masterful villain who was seeking revenge. He was just a dude who lost everything and then lost himself.

100x this. I started to panic going, "Oh no, oh no, oh nooooo!"

And then I went back to handcuff the police officer to the barricade instead of Lee to the heater, hoping that she would be safe this time, and the police officer's arm broke off and he went after her anyways :lol

Loved it. Only thing I would have changed would have been Clem shooting Lee, in that I would have made it so you were seeing from Lee's first person perspective while she aimed and pulled the trigger. A kind of "this is the last thing you'll ever see".

I was more hoping for the MGS3 style ending. But it did the job.

The only technical issue I had, at least with the narrative, was Lee acknowledging Christa was pregnant, but I don't know if that was the game just running with what the player already assumes, and thus Lee would. I would have liked it to be a dialogue option or part of the narrative though, as up until that point the game was going out of its way to push it to the sidelines.
I actually rather liked that it was finally openly addressed in this way. They gave the player so many hints that she was pregnant that it would have felt forced to have it be a "big" revelation in the narrative. Lee's quiet, understated acknowledgement felt much more appropriate to me.

demidar

The ending wasn't as heart-wrenching as I thought, but it was nice seeing Clem do lots of things by herself (as she should, I've been pragmatic with her).

There are things I don't like though, the fact that Lee started blacking out like crazy from the start was a bit weird. I would've thought the blackouts would get worse and worse as time went on but he suffered the brunt of it at the start and then started doing crazy jumps and cleaving fools without blacking out. The other thing is the walkie-talkie drop. It seemed really phoned in and a cheap excuse to remove a member of the group.

Yerolo

Ah yeah something like "Chapter 7: Stay Close To Me" and "Chapter 7: What Remains"

...Or you could also interpret it as there being no chapter 8 at all...if you go through them all, there are multiple checkpoints in each chapter. The final scene we play appears to be the last part of chapter 7

If that is the case *tin foil hat on*... Im sticking to my theory that TT are going to push out a chapter 8/epilogue in the not too distant future :)

Watch this space :)

Was no one paying attention to the glances between Crista and Kenny before she drank the whiskey? That was crazy.

Good game, but meeting the kidnapper suspended me in disbelief. Also considering Lee didn't get touched aside from the original zombie bite, I'm still pissed.

Krabboss

I didn't cut my arm off specifically because in an interview Whitta made it seem like it would be pointless.

Me either. Figured it was Kenny and Ben on the hill, since you never see them die.
Kenny shot Ben before the zombies came.

I also don't think Kenny survived. He had [edit]NO BULLETS and weren't zombies coming from both sides of the alley? He was screwed.

Top Bottom