• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

So much positive feedback for this game, I don't really get it. The story, voice acting, writing, and graphics are so hit or miss... and almost always awkward. Not to mention the lack of purpose in many of the choices you've made throughout the series. It's a solid effort, and one with a lot of promise, but I'm disappointed that the majority are overlooking its many flaws.

That said, for what it is, I was quite pleased with the final episode. It had the two best written and directed scenes in the series. The Lee and Clementine scene was well done and I like how they handled the scene with the kidnapper (until they made him over-the-top crazy). Having a conversation with him was the perfect choice to end the series.

The cliffhanger after the credits ending as a mystery was pointless and stupid. It should have just been Omid and Christa. I liked how she didn't run after them right away, however.

One of my main issues with the game is that I helped out and sided with Kenny for almost the entire game but whatever the one thing I failed to do for him he never forgave me. Shouldn't I know what that was? It annoyed the crap out of me and made me stop caring about him whatsoever.

Larry was handled so poorly. He was so over-the-top mean and dangerous that I don't see how his daughter or anyone else would have been okay with him being in the group.

I am pertty much overjoyed by the experience more than anything. I will undoubtedly notice the issues more during a second playthrough, but I enjoyed / was engrossed by the story so much that the issues didn't even factor into my experience. I was enthralled (if that's the right word), it was one of the most unique experiences of this generation for me, I feel that lets it off any technical issues. story and other narrative issues probably won't be so easy to ignore during second playthroughs though.

Necrovex

He says the exact opposite thing when he sees the couple in the bed.

And I'm about 90% sure you clearly see him git bit when he's "saving" Ben.

edit: also, why the hell is Lee such an asshole. "Hey Clem, ignore the bat you just smashed the window with, handcuff that zombie to a shelf. no, don't worry, it's just a zombie, you can juke it." I was mentally screaming "USE THE BAT. USE THE BAT" in my head.

Then he gets knocked on the head and decides to toss it over :/

That was my biggest issue that somewhat broke the moment for me. I was constantly looking at the bat, thinking "Hey Clem, pick up that bat and kill that zombie." Fuck, why even take that risk? I understand *why* Telltale made that decision, but it was a fucking awful way to execute it.

Otherwise, the finale was fucking gold. Kenny sacrificed himself to save Christa; he died like a man. I am still happy Ben died in episode 4, I wouldn't want Kenny sacrificing himself to save that worthless garbage.

Trigger

Qqnqs.jpg

Did Clem make it to Omid and Christa?!!! She was so scared!
nULmZ.png

EDIT- My other thoughts:

1) I think I yelled out "But what about the baby!" When Christa drank in the attic.
2) Bless Ben for using GAF's Walking Dead catchphrase: "Fuck you, Kenny".
3) The reveal was really underwhelming, and I'm annoyed that the guy doesn't seem to give a shit that me and Clem never stole from him. If I had to guess the scene wouldn't have changed if I had just taken the supplies.
4) One armed Lee > the rest of the group.
5) Fuck that punk ass Vernon.

Alec

It brought me to tears. It's still just with me, sitting in my chest.

I know that sounds pathetic and weird.

spekkeh

Banned
I totally missed that Christa was pregnant :/
Thinking back there were hints in the previous episodes, but I forgot about them. That's kind of a problem with there being nearly two months between episodes. I thought maybe she used to be an alcoholic or something the way she was eyeing the bottle and then taking a huge gulp. Maybe now that TT have a bit more dough (this was a huge success right?) they can make the time between releases in season 2 a bit shorter?

spekkeh

Banned
By the way what happens if Kenny doesn't go along with you? Lots of people should've had that. Is there any kind of resolution to Kenny's story? (similarly the rest)

Teen Clem for season 2. I'm more attached to her than I was with Lee. I can usually settle with an ending where the hero walks off into the sunset, but damn I'm sad that Clem's fate is up in the air. Her safety was the one goal through out the episode.
Well, at least there was a sunset...

denshuu

Sometime in some future season of this series, we need to meet a badass axe-wielding young woman with short hair who leads a team of zombie hunters and wears a cap with a D on it. She doesn't have to say what her name is. She can just shoot something and smile and I'll be like "I see you playa."

Crub

I chose not cut his arm of because I knew it wouldn't change the outcome. If he was going to be in season 2 he would have survived in both scenarios and vice versa if he wasn't.

I used this type of logic in a few cases during the season. Kind of takes you out of the experience but w/e.

4>2>5>1/3 imo

Cudder

How much is the disc release going to be? Might pick up a couple copies for some friends for Christmas since they're not taking my word on how good this game is.

Crub

Season 2 is you playing as Clem who is now a few years older and can handle herself.
Make it happen.

That would be actually jumping ahead of the comics, and therefore very unlikely. I know the game might not be considered canon, but it is part of the same universe, unlike the tv show.

Atruvius

Goddang that ending! I almost started crying when Lee said "I'll miss you". Got majorly choked up and no game has really had that effect on me. It was just horrible to see how Lee got gradually worse and worse looking.

Got to tip my hat off to Telltale. They made one of the best if not the best game of the year. Really an unforgettable experience.

Krabboss

2 > 4 > 5 > 1 > 3

Last episode was a great finale but was the shortest and had the least amount of gameplay.

Gonna have to put 1 over 5, myself. The first episode was just establishing characters so it wasn't going to be too exciting, but it was still good. 5 was a little short and had some weird writing. 3 was just people dying and nothing else, so it's definitely the worst for me too.

What a truly satisfying ending. Without question my game of the year. The last gameplay scene was as compelling as anything I've ever played. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Achtius

I really hope those two at the end were Omid and Christa. D:

Also that scene where Christa saw off the arm..it was done so well

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Weird, I didn't get the achievement for completing chapter 8 of episode 5, even though I saw the ending scene with Clementine after the credits and all, and was transported back to the main menu. Did I miss anything, or is the game just bugging out on me?

Tacitus_

Damn. Them feels...

I didn't lob off my arm since I figured it would be too late since Lee already passed out from the fever(?). Stayed calm with Kenny, my Lee was too tired to care about anything other than finding Clem. Gave up my weapons and tried to reason with the stranger for all good it did. Didn't even choke him to death since I figured I could avoid killing him (like the brothers at the farm). Then Clem shot him and I was all 'wat'. Had Clem finish me off after telling her to keep her hair short and try to find Omid & Christa.

Did anyone try to send the couple over the sign first? I figured I was already as good as dead so I took the risks every time this episode.

There was only supposed to be one bullet in the dead couple's gun but Kenny can be heard firing 2 shots in the hole. FIX THIS SHIT.

He said 'at least one bullet'.

Gxgear

A fitting end to the series, even if it's on the short side. Don't think I have the heart to go back to get all the alternative scenes though.

Myomoto

Well, at least there was a sunset...

I don't suppose you could give any insight into this missing chapter 8 achievement unlock? Is it a bug is more content coming?

Oh and the guy kept a still "living" head in his bowling bag. I'm glad Clem put a bullet through his head.

Is that what happens if you don't kill him yourself? I just strangled him with my one remaining hand, a true testament to the badassery of Lee.

Setre

Didn't cry but I almost did. I also didn't tell Clem I'd miss her or anything, just kept on trying to pick the options that would help her keep surviving. Figure if she's part of season 2 that'll help her out more than a final good bye.

I also chopped off Lee's arm. I figured that he might not turn and if he does, well, that's one less arm to grab Clem with when he does turn. And yeah I made Clem shoot Lee, again gotta hammer it in that this is the end of the world. Only the strong survive and that means killing the ones you love before they turn and try to eat you.

Shinypogs

I looted the Station wagon....what happens if you do not.

He's less angry if you don't loot it. Still mad and blames your people but there's more emphasis on the danger you repeatedly put clem in etc. I'm actually ok with the minor differences in the scene and I think they emphasize two different parts of him. If you looted from him he's more about the revenge + getting back what was lost ( aka his family). If you didn't take his stuff then it's more about saving Clem from you and proving he's not a monster and can be a good parent. I would have preferred two very different scenes but what we got was enough for me.

Got damn, this game. On the verge of tears with Lee dying and parting a few final word of advice to Clem. Fuck.

I chopped of my arm easily because I thought "If Rick Grimes can deal with it, so can Lee". But I guess the infection had already been in his system too long. Damn.

And that after credits sequence, is it the same for everyone?! With Clem alone in the country side and two figures on a hill in the distance?

Top Bottom