• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ten years ago at E3 2005, Satoru Iwata unveiled Nintendo Revolution

panzone

One of the best consoles I ever played. It' s true that the Wii missed a lot of games but it was the console that gave me that gaming "spark" I loss during those years. Thanks Nintendo.

Sure, it's funny to read about all this now, ten years later (where is my dvd upgrade Nintendo ?). Also, this confirms that I'm not the only one that enjoy seeing, with hindsight, old E3 conferences

Rocky

Banned
No.

It changed basically everything. Along with DS, it shocked the industry and in some ways, the consumer world.

No. It changed nothing. If it changed everything, the PS4 and Xbone would have been built around motion controls. They aren't. Not even the WiiU is. The Wii really was a fad.

Ridley327

No. It changed nothing. If it changed everything, the PS4 and Xbone would have been built around motion controls. They aren't. Not even the WiiU is. The Wii really was a fad.

I think you're missing a more obvious contribution than the motion controls by ignoring what it did for casual experiences, which aren't necessarily motion control driven. It's true that audience isn't on consoles any longer, but I'd be hard-pressed to imagine where mobile gaming would be now if the Wii and DS didn't help pave the road for those audiences.

yeah, and honestly... their biggest mistake was thinking that New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land were equivalent successors to Twilight Princess and Wii Sport as launch titles. Same with Ubisoft's Zombi U vs. Red Steel (even if Zombi U is a much better game).
That was a mistake on their part, but it may have been calculated to clear risk of the admittedly large third party lineup launching in November of 2012. They had done the same with the 3DS, giving room for Street Fighter IV 3D to succeed while Ocarina of Time and other games waited for a few months. The sheer volume of the some 25 plus launch titles -- most of which were months-to-year old ports -- made sure that no launch game was truly successful.

IIRC Nintendo was offering royalty related incentives for third parties to have their games ready at launch. In my opinion they should have extended that offer through the spring, which would have given developers more time to polish their games and made sure there wasn't the software drought that immediately followed the holidays. None of that would really change what happened with the Wii U, though.

It had it's shortcomings but still was a fantastic little console with some truly great games. Launched at the right price too.

I really hope Nintendo get their magic back together with their next machine.

magnetic

The thing that shocks me the most is the graphic design of those slides.

Mid-2000s still looked a lot like what I associate with the 90s. Looks like a shitty TV shopping ad.

TheMoon

Both the Wii U and 3DS are designed with motion controls in mind. XBOX One was also built with their take on the thing in mind (until they totally panicked). The DualShock 4 also still has motion sensors built into it. Your phones and tablets have them. News flash: Motion controls are standard now. That doesn't mean everything has to be controlled by motion controls exclusively. Just like how few games are controlled by d-pads exclusively. They are still a standard interface feature these days. Impossible to deny.

Oersted

No doubt, but I was going through Nintendo fatigue at that point. I was never a PS1/PS2 kid growing up, but eventually Mario and Co. lost their appeal. I felt the desire to play other types of games. Motion controls have always been off putting to me as well.

The Nintendo launch titles were Wii Sports, Zelda, Warioware and Excite Truck. Thats some weird ass fatigue.

BY2K

Membero Americo
ll93x.gif

Also, Reggie attacking MS and Sony like crazy, lol.

How was he attacking them, again?

Azure J

Man, this feels like yesterday. I don't know which is more unbelievable, that this is 10 years old or that I was barely a sophomore in high school when it was all going down.

Wow this makes me feel old. What a sleek looking system as well. Time for a new design from the NX. Also yeah Revolution was a better name than Wii. Infact NX is a better name than Wii. You know what Nintendo, just keep the NX name. Nope dont overthink just keep it.

hatchx

Banned
It was a great reveal, but so many misleading statements.

Metroid will take you to new worlds? Direct sequel to Metroid Prime 2.

Smash Bros online at launch? Over a year after launch with broken online.

Next-gen version of Zelda already being worked on? Or was he referencing the Twilight Princess port.

Square-Enix working on wifi enables Crystal Chronicles? Was that the single-player Crystal Bearers? Or the DS port?

Revolution will make you say 'wow'? I suppose this wasn't in reference to the graphics.

To be honest re-reading this has given me a cynical look at any future hardware announcements from Nintendo.

Coolluck

Were they planning on making the console more powerful originally? Because it wasn't a good "wow." Ubi's bullshots for Red Steel made me think that the console's power was going to turn out ok and that the other developers were just being lazy but that was foolish to think.

balohna

Before the controller was anounced, there was a looot of speculation about what made it so different. People were onto the idea of a unique controller, but a lot of guesses were things like haptic feedback or a screen in the controller (a generation too early). But there was also speculation Nintendo was using new rendering technics that didn't require a lot of power to look good, like 3D pre-rendered stuff. I think the concept might be a real thing, but I don't think it ever worked for a video game.

For better and worse the console certainly caused a huge splash in the industry, and in that span of time Nintendo went from bottom to top back to bottom to middle. Certainly a pretty turbulent time for the company.

Windforce

I keep thinking which lasting legacy Wii really left to the gaming industry. Today nothing looks like it, even motion controls are nearly completely left behind or irrelevant.

Yeah, but you know, I'm fine with not having those number talks anymore.

At least we won't have to worry about sales figures at E3 2015. "Wii U is by far our worst selling console of all-time. Please understand."

The Wii unveiling was handled so well. It's hard to believe that the same company was responsible for the disaster known as the Wii U launch.

Vitten

I'll never forget when they announced the Wii name. Most fun time at this forum ever..
Some people where ready to commit seppuku.

Ishida

Banned
Aaaaah yes. I remember that infamous presentation where Reggie said that the Revolution would "hold its own on graphical performance", and that when you saw the graphics it could output, you would "say wow".

And yeah, some games like Mario Galaxy made me say wow but mainly because of the vibrant art style, not the graphics themselves. Power-wise, the "Revolution" ended up being a souped up GameCube.

Sendou

I keep thinking which lasting legacy Wii really left to the gaming industry. Today nothing looks like it, even motion controls are nearly completely left behind or irrelevant.

Considering virtual reality headsets by number of big players are right around the corner I would argue motion controls are more relevant since the Wii's launch.

My name is Iwata. I'm about making games. And, I'm about playing games. Last night I played Super Smash Brothers. That's my game. I kicked some.. you know what. And I took his name. His name was Reggie. As Nintendo president, I'm also all about asking questions. So Reggie, I have a question for you. Who's your daddy?

Did he actually say this?!? lmao

you

will

say

wow

I cringed a little, yeah.

ArchAngel

Woah, already been 10 years?
All the controller-hype (a controller that changes up to the games you play - or something like that from Reggie), the cool look with all the colors. It was crazy and I loved the hype-machine :D

120v

I'll never forget when they announced the Wii name. Most fun time at this forum ever..
Some people where ready to commit seppuku.

i remember people even threatening to "boycott" it. i always figured it'd probably sound less ridiculous with time, and it did

anyway, that was a fun time. regardless of how things ended up it was a lot of fun speculating on what the thing was. i was kind of naive enough to believe their pitch that "games have already reached photo realism anyway" and the tech wouldn't affect the system much, but after a few years its limitations started catching up with it.

still one of my favorite consoles, though a lot of that has to do with VC

Pagusas

Elden Member
I recall the 480p defense force that kept trying to tell everyone "things will look better than 360/ps4 as it doesn't have to produce HD resolutions!"

Proved to me their really was an idiotic defense force for everything.

WillyFive

It's crazy to think that even with all the hype, the Revolution actually did live up to it, dramatically changing the videogame industry as we knew it.

That said, the empire it created didn't last long due to Apple and it's iPhone quickly taking away the audience it created, but the revolution itself was a raging success and a great case study for future consoles.

Ridley327

Were they planning on making the console more powerful originally? Because it wasn't a good "wow." Ubi's bullshots for Red Steel made me think that the console's power was going to turn out ok and that the other developers were just being lazy but that was foolish to think.

From the Iwata Asks about the development of the Wii, they actually settled on Gamecube+ specs and smaller form factor even before the Wiimote came into the picture.

ec0ec0

iwata:
But, I will tell you we are already working on several Wi-fi titles each starring one of our key franchise characters. One or two Wi-fi titles will be ready for launch. And, I am pushing our team to make sure that Smash Brothers is one of them. That way, no matter where Reggie is I can always beat him.

lol sakurai

iwata probably didn't even get the chance to beat reggie once. Brawl's online was abysmal.

TheMoon

It was a great reveal, but so many misleading statements.

Metroid will take you to new worlds? Direct sequel to Metroid Prime 2.

Smash Bros online at launch? Over a year after launch with broken online.

Next-gen version of Zelda already being worked on? Or was he referencing the Twilight Princess port.

Square-Enix working on wifi enables Crystal Chronicles? Was that the single-player Crystal Bearers? Or the DS port?

Revolution will make you say 'wow'? I suppose this wasn't in reference to the graphics.

To be honest re-reading this has given me a cynical look at any future hardware announcements from Nintendo.

Metroid - literally brought you to new worlds since Prime 3 had you travel to multiple different planets unlike the previous ones.

Smash delay was painful, yea.

Next-gen Zelda being worked on was clearly implying TP port using motion controls.

FFCC with wi-fi - could've been an online version of Echoes of Time or referring to a scrapped online mode for Crystal Bearers or an actual online-enabled version of the original FFCC. who knows.

Yes, the "wow" was referring to the graphics lol. Tbf, though, I remember reading something about higher specs being planned at one point. Still, considering few devs actually gave a shit and when they did, things managed to look spectacular regardless I'm not too bitter about that.

But that's how you "win" gamer hearts. You make it sound like yours is the longest and dump gasoline on the fire of their imaginations, even if it amounts to nothing more than hot air in the end. We've seen it again this gen...

Top Bottom