• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ten years ago at E3 2005, Satoru Iwata unveiled Nintendo Revolution

Harlock

The last classic videogame system.

No_More_Heroes.jpg

elebits_000.jpg

wario-ware-smooth-moves-20070123061003077-000.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
More of a fad.

Revolution in the game of President, is when you overthrow the current leader by reversing the power of the cards. I think that's exactly what Nintendo did.

It was the perfect scenario for it. Will never happen again in the same way.
The Wii was truly special and history will prove this.

I remember being so incredibly excited for this console. Everything about it was so fresh and amazing. Fuck specs, Wii was one of the best consoles ever with a crazy good library of exclusives. If you can't be arsed searching out the good games, don't just spout bullshit about the lack of them.

Madao

sometimes i wish they had put at least a dual core inside the Wii to let it run the same games at 720p.
i get that they wanted to be conservative but they were way too conservative. just being capable of HD output would have made a difference with the same graphics.

oh and throwing a Classic Controller inside the main SKU would have prevented a lot of the motion bs since devs would have had alternate classic controls options available. the Wii U kinda repeated this mistake by not having the remote + nunchuck come on every Wii U box.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Everything in Wii just hit the bullseye.

- Strategic genius of focusing on the then-untapped casual market (later taken over by Apple)
- Accessible, affordable, small and sleek hardware
- Focus on the right technologies such as wifi (remember 360 didn't have wifi built in)
- Brand naming, something very different to highlight the difference of the console
- New, intuitive user interface with channel metaphor
- Controller that felt intuitive, understandable and approachable
- Mii franchise leveraged across different Wii branded games, mascot for the system
- Beautiful, clean, iconic branding
- Marketing focusing on the experience, not the graphics
- Full roster of Nintendo heavy hitters ready to launch in the first year
- Focused execution and marketing of Virtual Console

They pretty much hit every single note right. It's incredible to look at each bullet and compare to Wii U - it doesn't hit any of those points.

I bought the Wii.

Played 2 games.
Wii Sports... then sonic and the black knight.

Sold it after 6months of nothing.

It was such a weird buy.

Thats probably more because your shit tastes than the consoles fault. You buy the wii to play sonic and the black knight instead of the multiple great games the console had during its life cycle and its nothing more but your fault.
Thats like buying a ps4 for knack and saying the whole catalogue is shit and you are going to sell it.

panzone

Thats probably more because your shit tastes than the consoles fault. You buy the wii to play sonic and the black knight instead of the multiple great games the console had during its life cycle and its nothing more but your fault.
Thats like buying a ps4 for knack and saying the whole catalogue is shit and you are going to sell it.

Sonic ATBK is not THAT bad. The second part of the game is actually pretty good, but I agree it's not an example of "Wii greatest games". We should instead remember the Wii has what it will probably be the best Sonic 3D we'll ever get.

As much as I dont like the Wii U....the Wii was one of the most played consoles in our home...and it wasnt all Wii Fit. One of my fav games was A Boy and his Blob and some game about shadows...cant remember now. The Wii was played more and I had more games for it than my N64 and Gamecube combined. I still had a Gamecube when I got the Wii.

Shadow Tower ?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

That video is mislabeled. The controller wasn't revealed until tokyo game show 2005, after E3 2005 already happened.

The biggest take away from E3-2005 was the virtual console, which alone sold me on the system as I never owned any of those consoles as a PC only gamer throughout the 90s.

I was right to be hyped about that too. It was so amazing to have 20 years worth of classics available to play for the first time. That alone will always make the Wii one of my most favorite consoles.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The 2005 was great, but nothing comes close to E3 2006. Hard to believe it's a decade since then.

I sometimes have a hard time convincing myself that 2005 was not five years ago, but it was ten

I know that feel bro.

Rootbeer

Banned
Reggie had a lot of bite in 2005.

He feels so tame in recent years.

I mean he is really trashing on the copetitors, really playing up the sales numbers and marketshare. You sure as hell won't hear him saying those lines anymore :p The smartdevices market has really humbled Nintendo.

levyjl1988

Banned
The Xbox 360 Arcade didn't have an HDMI but that console with the release of the Elite was able to upscale from 720p to 1080p.

The Wii which released after was with a 480i or 480p never can do sub HD. Perhaps Nintendo should have focused on the long run to make its console attractive. None the less it was a short lived impact that generate hype and sales and eventually flatlined.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Everything in Wii just hit the bullseye.

- Strategic genius of focusing on the then-untapped casual market (later taken over by Apple)
- Accessible, affordable, small and sleek hardware
- Focus on the right technologies such as wifi (remember 360 didn't have wifi built in)
- Brand naming, something very different to highlight the difference of the console
- New, intuitive user interface with channel metaphor
- Controller that felt intuitive, understandable and approachable
- Mii franchise leveraged across different Wii branded games, mascot for the system
- Beautiful, clean, iconic branding
- Marketing focusing on the experience, not the graphics
- Full roster of Nintendo heavy hitters ready to launch in the first year
- Focused execution and marketing of Virtual Console

They pretty much hit every single note right. It's incredible to look at each bullet and compare to Wii U - it doesn't hit any of those points.
In terms of making the system sell from Nintendo's point of view this is all correct. But as far as tbe library of games go the Wii hardly hit the bullseye. First party stuff knocked it out of the park sure, and the virtual console was great. But it lacked almost all the major third party titles PS360 had and the hardware and fuctionality of the system was significantly worse. I couldn't imagine only having a Wii. As a secondary system it was great, but overall it was hardly the ultimate console for its time.

And in that sense I genuinely believe Wii U is no worse than the Wii. The marketing might be much worse but the games library is in no worse a position other than the vastly inferior virtual console. Typical Nintendo system. Great first party titles. For everything else you go elsewhere. And that's fine. Wii and Wii U make nice secondary systems. Wouldn't be fine if it was the only system I had.

TheMoon

As much as I dont like the Wii U....the Wii was one of the most played consoles in our home...and it wasnt all Wii Fit. One of my fav games was A Boy and his Blob and some game about shadows...cant remember now. The Wii was played more and I had more games for it than my N64 and Gamecube combined. I still had a Gamecube when I got the Wii.
Shadow Tower ?

Pretty sure it's this one (unless it's LIT, a WiiWare game from WayForward):

mrklaw

MrArseFace
was weak like the wiiU initial announcement. Here is a box. What is inside isn't important, the games it plays are what counts. But we aren't going to tell you what games it plays - only that it plays some, and we are working on popular IPs that you know.

Porcile

Any console that gives me: Sin and Punishment 2, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Little King's Story, Zack and Wiki, Xenoblade Chronicles and No More Heroes is a goddamn revolution to me.

Goodness, has it been 10 years already?!

I remember not being able to get these things for the longest time. Shit was literally selling like drugs.

I remember being so incredibly excited for this console. Everything about it was so fresh and amazing. Fuck specs, Wii was one of the best consoles ever with a crazy good library of exclusives. If you can't be arsed searching out the good games, don't just spout bullshit about the lack of them.

What the hell is wrong with you guys?

The Wii was a fantastic machine wish a surprisingly large amount of must-have and interesting games. Its a shame a lot of them got buried under the barrage of Wii Play third-party rip offs.

Anyone else remember this cheery little fella, the game (Opoona) was controlled with just the nunchuk:

Little King's Story was fantastic too:

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Revolution, that's a name I haven't heard in a while! It always sounded better than Wii to me. Nintendo's marketing totally worked on me, and I can still remember the "Wii queremos jugar" ("Wii wanna play" TV ad). I remember begging my parents to buy me the console for years, until they finally did in early 2010. What a great little machine it was, what with online play (which, albeit limited, was still a lot of fun with friends) and Virtual Console, along with many great smaller WiiWare titles (of which the Bit.Trip franchise is a personal favorite, and it also allowed me to discover Ace Attorney).

Backwards compatibility with the GameCube was also a great idea, because I never had the chance to own said console. It's a shame I only managed to get some third party GC controller, because the triggers started malfunctioning and left me unable to finish Luigi's Mansion and a bunch of other games.

Sadly I never got around to acquiring a Motion Plus, so Zelda Skyward Sword and Red Steel 2 are games that I had to skip. Maybe someday I'll get to them, who knows...

Impaired by awful motion controls.
Don't blame the controls if you don't know how to use them, they worked perfectly for me most of the time.

Besides, there were many games which barely used them, like Trackmania, No More Heroes (everything freezes momentarily during executions, and you don't have to be precise), Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Ace Attorney trilogy, Bit.Trip Runner (and Core, Void and Fate; and motion controls are fantastic for Beat and Flux), Metroid Prime Trilogy (Corruption has some, but 1 and 2 only feature IR aiming as far as I remember), Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros Brawl and probably a lot more I'm forgetting right now.

It's fine if you don't like motion controls, but saying they ruined every Wii game is a plain lie.

The Virtual Console was easily the best feature for me getting the Wii. Yeah, everything else was great, but I was glad to have been able to play a lot of games I missed out on.

And yet, Nintendo had been, and still is, neglecting this feature on Wii U by re-releasing the games and charging for the transfer from the original Wii.

JoeM86

The Virtual Console was easily the best feature for me getting the Wii. Yeah, everything else was great, but I was glad to have been able to play a lot of games I missed out on.

And yet, Nintendo had been, and still is, neglecting this feature on Wii U by re-releasing the games and charging for the transfer from the original Wii.

To be fair, Nintendo's first party output for NES and SNES is practically done on the VC. It's a third party situation all over again.

TheMoon

Not at all, they actually put a big focus on putting out lots of games that weren't ever on Wii VC. Otherwise you wouldn't be playing Earthbound, Breath of Fire 1, Mega Man 7, Demon's Crest, DK64, etc right now. The only real problem is the lack of third party platforms which would've helped a lot with filling up the schedule.

In terms of making the system sell from Nintendo's point of view this is all correct. But as far as tbe library of games go the Wii hardly hit the bullseye. First party stuff knocked it out of the park sure, and the virtual console was great. But it lacked almost all the major third party titles PS360 had and the hardware and fuctionality of the system was significantly worse. I couldn't imagine only having a Wii. As a secondary system it was great, but overall it was hardly the ultimate console for its time.

And in that sense I genuinely believe Wii U is no worse than the Wii. The marketing might be much worse but the games library is in no worse a position other than the vastly inferior virtual console. Typical Nintendo system. Great first party titles. For everything else you go elsewhere. And that's fine. Wii and Wii U make nice secondary systems. Wouldn't be fine if it was the only system I had.

I never really got this argument. What kind of hardcore gamer only has one gaming platform? And if it is because "lack of money" then why is this that big of a deal when you are only going to end up with around a dozen games anyway?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The buildup to the Revolution was so awesome, and while I know many on this board disagrees, I feel the Wii actually lived up to that hype with some great innovations and even better games. My third favorite console ever.

kinggroin

Banned
Man. I really wish industry would have thrown its full weight and support behind this console.

Still ended up with a severely underrated library in the end. One of the best consoles ever produced by Nintendo.

I remember all the threads on gaming sites breaking down the Metroid teaser trying to determine one way or another how powerful the Revolution was. Just seeing the new ship was enough to get me very excited for that new Prime game!

kinggroin

Banned
The Xbox 360 Arcade didn't have an HDMI but that console with the release of the Elite was able to upscale from 720p to 1080p.

The Wii which released after was with a 480i or 480p never can do sub HD. Perhaps Nintendo should have focused on the long run to make its console attractive. None the less it was a short lived impact that generate hype and sales and eventually flatlined.

And remains the best selling console of the generation along with some of the highest software sales too. Poor Nintendo.

The real tragedy is the fucked up way they handled transitioning to the next gen. Smh.

Majine

Banned
I liked the idea of Wii more than the system itself. After the novelty of the motion controller wore off, it became the least interesting of the three systems, with fewer games to play.

I remember watching this and having my head explode. Combined with the (hyped) video games and stuff coming out....then it came out and I felt regret after a year.
I told my mum I hated her for buying it when all my friends had an Xbox 360. In all fairness young and naive. Being 25, good times.

It is hard to believe it has been ten years. I remember being cautious when it was revealed. I also scoffed at the controller, but the Wii became one of my favorite consoles. Still have and play it to this day.

About 101 million units of hardware and about 907 million units of software to be precise. Can't make a console much more attractive these days.

Caused both competitors to scramble for a piece of the market that opened up. Can't make a console much more influential these days.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yea....this is why I waver, go back n forth about about the Wii U. I'm not really giving it a chance with Lego City Undercover and Epic Mickey 2 being the only games I bought for it....and Lego City the kids scratched up so I never even got a chance to play it. I got the Wii U when it launched. I am close to finally getting 3D World.

Games aside...its other things...like account system, etc. Its just as an overall console, at this point in time (2015, or even the year it launched) I just dont really like it.

Pretty sure it's this one (unless it's LIT, a WiiWare game from WayForward):

Yea its A Shadow's Tale. I liked that game.

I feel like the customers/fans were well ahead of the media on this. I remember there being LOTS of preorder hype for Wii but little for the competition. It was like there was this new cool thing they everyone knew was coming but wasn't really publicized.

That said, Wii will always be the ultimate second-date activity from 2006 to 2009. Throw a big party too, people are playing Wii with beer instead of chilling on the patio. Lol.

Top Bottom