• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

So Bethany Mattek-Sands and Mirza teamed up to win Brisbane today, but with that win, Mattek-Sands overtakes Mirza's #1 ranking. doubles rankings are weird lol.

leng jai

So Bethany Mattek-Sands and Mirza teamed up to win Brisbane today, but with that win, Mattek-Sands overtakes Mirza's #1 ranking. doubles rankings are weird lol.

Mirza won with Hingis last year hence she doesn't gain any points for it.

Massive test for Dimitrov tonight against Nishikori. A win here could really catapult his start to 2017.

Diamond

Jesus. Extreme indeed.

His elegant and insightful analyses will be missed.

I wonder how many ATP players watched the second set of Murray/Djokovic just there and knew they'd never, ever be that good. Utterly insane level of play, the physical and technical demands of the rallies almost unbelievable, at least until Djokovic lost his cool after failing to serve out.

It's too bad their matches don't produce this kind of tennis more often. Murray seemed a lot more resourceful than in a lot of their past encounters, with great attacks, drop shots, high defense lobs, etc. Against an in-form Djoker he has to, because he'll never win by doing the same thing as him. He lost but I think he has the beginning of a plan.

clemenx

Banned
Dimitrov hopefully to not be completely shit this year??? Do I get hopeful about him again?? Nice win for him in Brisbane. 3 top-10 wins.

Diamond

Dimitrov hopefully to not be completely shit this year??? Do I get hopeful about him again?? Nice win for him in Brisbane. 3 top-10 wins.

If Dimitrov was playing all year like he has in this final he would be a solid top10. Problem is, his game is very fragile and can completely disintegrate if he's not 100% focused. Brisbane is a very good start but he must bring this kind of tennis to big tournaments. It's still a treat to watch him play like this though.

Dmitrov should have won Sydney last year as well, but fell in the finals to Troicki in a tight third set tiebreak. If Dmitrov played the entire season in Australia he would have an amazing career. He plays better there than anywhere else.

In other news, Madison Keys and now Sloane Stephens have withdrawn from the AO. They are the top 2 ranked Americans not named Williams

leng jai

This is Hass' year, I can feel it

15940568_1561266133890777_3741760163901714126_n.jpg

Kasatkina was playing, to my eyes, quite a bit worse than she did against Muguruza in Brisbane, where she lost after having held MP - incredible match, that one - but still beat Kerber in straights. Terrible showing from her, making one needless unforced error after another, usually from her forehand. Of course a strong showing in Australia and no one will even remember these matches, but her game's way off right now.

It's hard to pin down a favorite for the AO on the womens side. I guess Pliskova? But honestly the draw is wide open. Good chance of having a first time champion. Radwanska this is your chance!!

Maria Sharapova will return from her 15-month doping ban at a tournament in Germany in April.

Car manufacturer Porsche, which sponsors both Sharapova and the event in Stuttgart, says Sharapova has been given a wild-card entry into the tournament. It will be her first official competition since she tested positive for meldonium at last year's Australian Open.
Sharapova, who won the Stuttgart tournament from 2012-14, says "I could not be happier to have my first match back on tour at one of my favorite tournaments."

http://tennischannel.com/sharapova-to-return-from-ban-in-april-at-stuttgart-event/

lol of course her favorite tournament is the one her sponsors run

Kerber][/QUOTE]

She has looked terrible so far this season. Lost her first match in Sydney to Kasatkina. Her serve is failing her atm

LuuKyK

Maria Sharapova will return from her 15-month doping ban at a tournament in Germany in April.

Car manufacturer Porsche, which sponsors both Sharapova and the event in Stuttgart, says Sharapova has been given a wild-card entry into the tournament. It will be her first official competition since she tested positive for meldonium at last year’s Australian Open.
Sharapova, who won the Stuttgart tournament from 2012-14, says ”I could not be happier to have my first match back on tour at one of my favorite tournaments.”

http://tennischannel.com/sharapova-to-return-from-ban-in-april-at-stuttgart-event/

lol of course her favorite tournament is the one her sponsors run

She has looked terrible so far this season. Lost her first match in Sydney to Kasatkina. Her serve is failing her atm

Maria actually really loves Stuttgart, she won it 3 times in a row and its where she started her "clay dominance" back then when she was treated as a terrible clay courter. Of course it being sponsored by Porsche helps. lol

And yes Kerber seems to be feeling the pressure already. She has been terrible. And btw her loss to Kasatkina was not her first. She lost to Svitolina in Brisbane. All players she routined last year. Hopefully she finds her game for the AO, otherwise...

oti

Banned
Maria actually really loves Stuttgart, she won it 3 times in a row and its where she started her "clay dominance" back then when she was treated as a terrible clay courter. Of course it being sponsored by Porsche helps. lol

And yes Kerber seems to be feeling the pressure already. She has been terrible. And btw her loss to Kasatkina was not her first. She lost to Svitolina in Brisbane. All players she routined last year. Hopefully she finds her game for the AO, otherwise...
Remember when Stuttgart used to be Filderstadt? What an odd little and yet high-class tournament that was.

Watching Tiafoe v. Cecchinato right now on Tennis Channel. There are literally 10 people watching from the stands. After a good point, you can hear one person clapping

Ricker

Konta was incredible in Sidney...she was returning 170kmh serves that would normally be almost guaranteed aces cross court for the point against Bouchard(3-2 this season so far ;P) and mostly,she did the same thing in the final against Radwanska...if she stays in her bubble like that for the AO,she will be hard to beat...

Serena better be ready quick also,that section is a hard draw for her...Genie got away with a normal start(Chirico) but might meet Kasaktina on R2,she is improving everytime I see her.

Oh Peru is back ;) getting ready for Stuggart I guess ;)

oti

Banned
There's some drama surrounding the Janowicz Cilic match. Apparently there's one Cilic fan who teases Jano all the time, at least the camera is always focusing in on one individual. Jano is angrier than usual, pretty angry in other words.

Top Bottom