• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, section 5 of the public order act means you can't do anything that would cause harassment, alarm or distress to the members of the public. It's designed to tackle issues when maybe someone hasn't committed a crime but is being a nuisance. So if you walk into a high street and shout shit you can get fined, technically even arrested but that would be over kill and any custody sergeant would have a go at an officer for that unless the individual persisted after being fined with a total disregard for authority.

Someone recently got arrested in the UK for putting strips of bacon on door handles to a mosque. It was on the BBC news. So, if Charlie Hebdo tried to distribute these images in the UK, the law would actually be against them. But bear in mind that the key word is public, so it's fine to distribute it online for example.

Well I can only echo what Kaisersalsek said, in that I hear swearing in public all the time and no-one ever seems to get fined for it. What you said in your second post - harrassment / alarm / distress/ being a nuisance - is slightly different from simply "swearing in public" imo.

Edit:

Shit (don't fine me), it's kicking off.

Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP 42s43 seconds ago
#BREAKING Police launch assault where Charlie Hebdo suspects holed up: official source

chadskin

B663-p1CYAEBo8n.png:large

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q675.htm

There are exceptions, if an officer tried to deal with everyone that swore in public he'd never get home for dinner! Everyone does it these days, in casual conversation on the phone/amongst friends etc, but the legal power is there should the Police wish to use it. It's mainly to deal with situations like some annoying chav that hasn't actually done anything wrong for example, or those distributing leaflets of slaughter houses outside fast food chains, or those wearing shirts with naked ladies etc, that stuff.

Do you actually read what you post?

"..use of threatening abusive words or behaviour..." and "...profane language in the street to the annoyance of residents...".

Once again, nothing about casual use of bad language, its CLEARLY worded in a way which means it can and will be used against a person participating in anti-Social behaviour, ie, being a drunk chav.

NEO0MJ

I feel that both the hostages and the terrorists will die by the end of this. It just looks like an insane situation.

Do you actually read what you post?

"..use of threatening abusive words or behaviour..." and "...profane language in the street to the annoyance of residents...".

Once again, nothing about casual use of bad language, its CLEARLY worded in a way which means i can and will be used against a person participating in anti-Social behaviour, ie, being a drunk chav.

Guys, people are being shot at right now... can this tangent wait?

Well I can only echo what Kaisersalsek said, in that I hear swearing in public all the time and no-one ever seems to get fined for it. What you said in your second post - harrassment / alarm / distress/ being a nuisance - is slightly different from simply "swearing in public" imo.

Edit:

Shit (don't fine me), it's kicking off.

Well I provided links that say they can, links on Police websites. Legal definitions will always be broad, I'm not saying 100% you get done for it, but it's a possibility, officers might just tell you to watch your language as I have done.

Odah

Banned
I dont understand why they would attack them first rather than the guy in Paris. All he needs to have is a phone and watch the stream from it...theoretically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom