• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifon

Sky News still has a live shot of Dammartin. It looked like they were going to enter through the roof a few minutes ago.

This really pisses me off. Just watching BBC where they're airing live a few police members on the roof of the Dammartin building. Seriously, stop showing footage that gives away the police's movements outside the building. It doesn't take a genius.

shuri

Banned
http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...s-live-updates#block-54afe30be4b0c9505d7d9baf

Amédy Coulibaly, is 32 and from Juvisy-sur-Orge in Essonne outside Paris. He is believed to be the gunman currently holding hostages in a kosher grocery shop at Porte de Vincennes, on the eastern edge of Paris. He is also suspected of killing a French policewoman in a shoot-out in the south of Paris on Thursday morning, less than 24 hours after the Charlie Hebdo attack.

While still a teenager he became involved in criminality and reportedly notched up several convictions for armed robbery from 2001, when he was still a minor. The newsweekly L’Obs reported that he had met Chérif Kouachi, one of the brothers suspected of the Charlie Hebdo attack, between 2005 and 2006 when they were both inside the notorious Fleury-Mérogis prison, south of Paris. The huge prison is known for its overcrowding.

After an initial spell in prison for armed robbery, he was reported to have then started drug-dealing and served another sentence. After that, with training as a television-fitter, he settled in Grigny in the Essonne, around 20km south-east of Paris.

He was arrested by anti-terrorist police in 2010, suspected of having taken part in a plot to aid the prison escape of Smaïn Aït Ali Belkacem, one of the key figures behind the Paris metro and train attacks in 1995.

During searches of his home, police found Kalashnikov ammunition. He received a prison sentence and is reported to have been released from prison just over a year ago.
Well damn.

He is 33 and from Juvisy-sur-Orge in Ile-de-France. According to Le Monde, Coulibaly and Chérif Kouachi – one of the suspects in the Charlie Hebdo attack – were two of the most committed followers of convicted terrorist Djamel Beghal. Telephone conversations reveal that the pair visited Beghal’s home in Murat in the south of France.

26-year-old Hayat Boumeddiene – named by police as the second suspect in the killing of the policewoman on Thursday – has been Coulibaly’s partner since 2010 and lived in his home while he was serving a prison sentence, Le Monde reported.

well damn damn!

10407432_10152992014038750_3419109667835205937_n.jpg

Well said sir.

Well said.

Can we stop with these?

This thread is about the news of the situation.

Yes, section 5 of the public order act means you can't do anything that would cause harassment, alarm or distress to the members of the public. It's designed to tackle issues when maybe someone hasn't committed a crime but is being a nuisance. So if you walk into a high street and shout shit you can get fined, technically even arrested but that would be over kill and any custody sergeant would have a go at an officer for that unless the individual persisted after being fined with a total disregard for authority.

nah, I have done two law degrees, trust me - just simple swearing will not get you fined. However, if you went into a cinema and shouted 'fire' and caused people to go into mass panic, likelihood is that you would - classic case.

This really pisses me off. Just watching BBC where they're airing live a few police members on the roof of the Dammartin building. Seriously, stop showing footage that gives away the police's movements outside the building. It doesn't take a genius.

Reminds me of the Tsarnaev hunt when they asked all news outlets to turn off their coverage.

I was able to follow it after though through a stream somebody set up where they just put their illegal police scanner in front of a webcam for three hours. It was the communications between the observation helicopter and the ground commander. Was very interesting. We even heard the ground control chime in and say "your radio is being broadcast on the internet." Then right after they switched to higher band frequencies and we couldn't hear anymore.

You can? I swear all the time in public and no-one has ever fined me :-\ I've literally never heard this. I see chavs swearing in front of cops all the time

If this exists, it may be in law, but it's definitely not in practice!

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q675.htm

There are exceptions, if an officer tried to deal with everyone that swore in public he'd never get home for dinner! Everyone does it these days, in casual conversation on the phone/amongst friends etc, but the legal power is there should the Police wish to use it. It's mainly to deal with situations like some annoying chav that hasn't actually done anything wrong for example, or those distributing leaflets of slaughter houses outside fast food chains, or those wearing shirts with naked ladies etc, that stuff.

nah, I have done two law degrees, trust me - just simple swearing will not get you fined. However, if you went into a cinema and shouted 'fire' and caused people to go into mass panic, likelihood is that you would - classic case.

Did you do civil law though? I did criminal law.

Go look at Section 5 of the Public Order Act:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64

Odah

Banned
why the fuck are they doing this NOW? the guys threatened to kill hostages if they dont let them free? why not take HIM out first?

Mohonky

You can? I swear all the time in public and no-one has ever fined me :- I've literally never heard this. I see chavs swearing in front of cops all the time

If this exists, it may be in law, but it's definitely not in practice!

You can be charged in Australia for swearing too. It goes under being disorderly or offensive. I would imagine its the same in the UK as our laws generally overlap in many instances. Dont often hear of anyone being done for it, you're likely only ever going to get done for something like that if you're already being an asshole in general and they just want something else thrown in to charge / fine you with.

People swear in front of and at cops all the time, it just depends on the circumstance and officer of the time as to whether you'd ever get charged / fined with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom