• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian military outraged after French magazine Charlie Hebdo mocks plane crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hebdo is basically the 4chan of magazines.

I really don't have problem with 4chan type inconsiderate assholes amusing themselves on a decentralized portal. But getting paid to do this full time...this bothers me a lot more.

Rich people can't paid 4chaners to make terrible racist jokes either. Everything is out in the open.

Joni

Charlie Hebo is the Milo Yanipoopoo of magazines. Just say vile outlandish shit under the guise of freedom of speech and get publicity.
Charlie Hebdo never went after someone. They are easy to ignore. You just don't buy their magazine. If you don't like them, the worst thing they will do is draw a cartoon about it. Which you will never see if you don't buy the thing. That cannot be said about milo who is actively making the world worse.

Tiops

Yes they are and I can't say I have ever chuckled at anything I have seen them publish.

That said, I am comforted immensely by the fact they still exist. Like an earlier poster said, they are a barometer of free speech. If someone tried to legislate against them I would be very concerned.

The "outrage generation" seems to thirst for harsh consequences for disgusting ideas. In a free society, the appropriate outcome is that we merely shake our heads and call them tasteless flogs.

I agree with that, there souldn't be any kind of censorship to them or similar publications. I just find it terrible and not funny at all.

Aww come on, the lasagna thing was a great pun.

I can see the humor in that. It's just tasteless to me.

Keasar

While I completely agree with this, I think the humor should redirect your train of thought away from the horrors of existence, not guide you back towards it.

I'm all for free speech and coping with humor but these guys certainly don't help the world get any less dark. In a way they are part of the problem(albeit a tiny part comparatively) because they're all about stoking the shit and clouding the zeitgeist even further.

I find that however to be just ignorant. It won't just disappear because I am not thinking of it anymore. It will still be there and it will be a recurring thing often. I look at so many other people who just decide to shut themselves off from "bad things" and it is appalling what it does to them, it just makes them socially inept. Unable to handle the world at all and have to go "Triggered!" at every turn at the most benign thing possible like "My Trigger words are apples, cats and Republicans." Which just ruins it for people who have ACTUAL issues like former rape victims etc.

Charlie Hebdo is not part of the problem. The problem is that bad things happen at all while people decide to further lock themselves in, with nationality on the rise, people deciding to curate what information they get at all and creating bubbles of their social life.

Charlie Hebdo was a fringe magazine before, it still is, you just hear about it now after the Charlie Hebdo office attack which I bet is the first time you ever heard about it (it was for me) and now they get brought up often because people read their magazine and post it online whenever a outrageous comic is made (every new issue) that was not intended for them at all as a audience. The Charlie Hebdo magazine is just not for you. The same that horror movies is not for me but I would never call them disgusting for (fictionally) portraying murder and maiming of human people as a form of entertainment, and then ask that people to stop making them.

LordKano

French humor is based a lot on satire, disrespect and dark jokes. I'm not surprised to see shocked american peoples, it's very different from typical US humor.

That said, the only funny thing of Charlie Hebdo is the cover. I bought a copy once and the actual content is terrible (in the sense not funny and badly written).

xandaca

I find that however to be just ignorant. It won't just disappear because I am not thinking of it anymore. It will still be there and it will be a recurring thing often. I look at so many other people who just decide to shut themselves off from "bad things" and it is appalling what it does to them, it just makes them socially inept. Unable to handle the world at all and have to go "Triggered!" at every turn at the most benign thing possible like "My Trigger words are apples, cats and Republicans." Which just ruins it for people who have ACTUAL issues like former rape victims etc.

Charlie Hebdo is not part of the problem. The problem is that bad things happen at all while people decide to further lock themselves in, with nationality on the rise, people deciding to curate what information they get at all and creating bubbles of their social life.

Charlie Hebdo was a fringe magazine before, it still is, you just hear about it now after the Charlie Hebdo office attack which I bet is the first time you ever heard about it (it was for me) and now they get brought up often because people read their magazine and post it online whenever a outrageous comic is made (every new issue) that was not intended for them at all as a audience. The Charlie Hebdo magazine is just not for you. The same that horror movies is not for me but I would never call them disgusting for (fictionally) portraying murder and maiming of human people as a form of entertainment, and then ask that people to stop making them.

As much as I agree far more strongly with your position than DarkKyo's, calling someone 'ignorant' for taking a different position is disrespectful and the opposite of what you're arguing for. You're dismissing another viewpoint out of hand by assuming it the product of ignorance, shutting yourself off from other perspectives and ways of thinking in the same way you accuse others of doing. Like I said, I disagree with DarkKyo, but if you really believe what you've written, you should welcome someone else's perspective, even if you interpret it as incorrect, for its ability to challenge your own philosophy and give you insight into how others may see the world.

Keasar

As much as I agree far more strongly with your position than DarkKyo's, calling someone 'ignorant' for taking a different position is disrespectful and the opposite of what you're arguing for. You're dismissing another viewpoint out of hand by assuming it the product of ignorance, shutting yourself off from other perspectives and ways of thinking in the same way you accuse others of doing. Like I said, I disagree with DarkKyo, but if you really believe what you've written, you should welcome someone else's perspective, even if you interpret it as incorrect, for its ability to challenge your own philosophy and give you insight into how others may see the world.

Nonono, I didn't mean DarkKyo to be ignorant, I meant that my view is that when a person is shutting out bad things is to be ignorant of the issues around them. I agree exactly with everything you said which is why I am having the discussion. I meant no offense. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom