• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaand successfully derailed in just a couple of posts. This guy is an expert.

Can we get back to the topic at hand? Are there any updates?

It's best not to worry about him, dude is off his rocker and is incapable of not doing what he does.

I haven't seen any new info.

I think French police can just play the waiting game now.

I wonder if the fact that the woman surrendered herself might influence Coulibaly in doing so too. Or he will make the first radical move seeing that the brothers are not freed.
I think nightfall gives an advantage to authorities too

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Still not sure whether this was IS. Specifically targeting the cartoonists and not just anyone in sight when they are saying anyone among the coalition is fair game seems off.

Taking hostages doesn't sound like the IS way.
Whole thing still seems weird to me.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Let's try to stay on topic here guys...leave political discussions for later or another thread. I think most people are more concerned about the hostages well-being and keen to learn more about the situation(s) as they unfold and follow this thread for updates.

Recommend following BBC's live reports here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ng&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

While not the quickest to update, they seem to want to be sure that their sources are reliable before releasing new info.

AFP also tweet a lot concerning the hostage situation(s):
https://twitter.com/afp

Guy.brush

Nothing I'm just amazing how Islam can change personal completely in short term. Just happened to one of my old friend.

Happened with a guy that I know with a fundamentalist evangelical Christian sect. Was like a drone from that point on and had to cut relation.
People who are alone in their mind searching for a flag or family to crawl under and then waking up to some cleric's simple childlike world view is happening too often sadly.
Radical Islam seems to have perfected that additive formula for young men (17-30) where it is appealing to their sense of honor, brotherhood, longing for power and even promises an endless supply of women which they often times have trouble seeing eye to eye with in real-life.

Al Qaeda and ISIS are two sides of the same coin,
The Saudi are being attacked by Al Qaeda and Al Hothies from the south and ISIS from the North

I am not an expert, but if they share the same jihad philosophy, they are not linked though.
Koichi trained in yemen within al Qaeda.

IMO, they are 2 trademarks of the same phenomenon.

Odah

Banned
on bbc stream they just said that there could be up to 5 people dead in the store. I hope that this is not true :/

A young girl from inside the store called their mother or something like that

Roronoa95

I was eating in the restaurant near the Kosher Supermarket, it's surreal... We had to stay in for a moment while the police were establishing security perimeter. The kind of stuff I'm used to watch on TV was happening in front of me, strange feelings...

Now we're locked down in our office and we cannot move until further notice. My thoughts go to the hostages, I hope they'll be alright :(

Kurdel

Banned
I was eating in the restaurant near the Kosher Supermarket, it's surreal... We had to stay in for a moment while the police were establishing security perimeter. The kind of stuff I'm used to watch on TV was happening in front of me, strange feelings...

Now we're locked down in our office and we cannot move until further notice. My thoughts go to the hostages, I hope they'll be alright :(

Holy shit stay safe

Mimosa97

Glad you're safe man.

Stay strong.

German media reported, that the factory where the 2 brothers are hiding, could also be an airplane catering service so they would not be dependent on food/water. But this is not clarified yet. Huh?!

Wow. Stay safe mate.

Okay but that could also be anyone claiming their ringing up from the basement ya? Have they confirmed it's one of the hostages?

Apparently a woman at the scene said her daughter rang her from the basement, she was being held hostage, 5 people were dead and lots of other people held hostage.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Remember folks, this all started with a fucking cartoon.

Imagine standing at that funeral, thinking what everyone else thinks at a funeral: "why?" and the answer is "a cartoon."

just...

how fucked up is that?

cwmartin

Best wishes with you and everyone there as well.

Guy.brush

German media reported, that the factory where the 2 brothers are hiding, could also be an airplane catering service so they would not be dependent on food/water. But this is not clarified yet. Huh?!

They are certainly dependent on sleep though. No amount of Taurine or other amphetamines will get you into a 3rd day without making some serious errors of judgement.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Reminds me that I've been in relative proximity to three bomb blasts (one by ETA, another by GRAPO and a third one being the Atocha bombings) and a whole bunch of police raids. At some point I was just like "really, again?". I guess that even as a child/teen I realized that the chances of getting hurt were pretty low.

The 80's and early 90's were ROUGH in Spain.

5 people dead? How many hostages were there? :/

It's not confirmed. A lady approached a BBC reporter claiming her daughter was one of the hostages being held in the supermarket and that she had managed to phone her and she said there were five people dead, understandably this information should be taken with a pinch of salt.

abzyshaid

Banned
an honest question guys do you think this has to do with the war in middle east? I know about the cartoons but I think there is a bigger motive behind this

Imagine standing at that funeral, thinking what everyone else thinks at a funeral: "why?" and the answer is "a cartoon."

just...

how fucked up is that?

Well, it didn't really start with a cartoon. It was just an easy and visible target. In the absence of cartoons, the crazies would've attacked something else.

Sapiens

just...

how fucked up is that?

Honestly, I wouldn't be thinking about it on that level, if I were at that funeral. I would like to think the the deceased would prefer I take a different approach to my grieving.

Kibbles

What's the deal with this supermarket situation? Who are these people? Woke up and now there are 2 incidents going on

marrec

Banned
an honest question guys do you think this has to do with the war in middle east? I know about the cartoons but I think there is a bigger motive behind this

A bit off topic, but all indications point to no, this is not an immediate result of the strife in the middle east (Syria, Iraq, ISIS).

They're allegedly associated with AQ Yeman.

Just got home and read the latest news, how fucking depressing, regardless of whether all these incidents are directly connected.

And big surprise that it was a KOSHER shop that was targeted. No wonder Jews are fleeing France in substantial numbers these days.

valkyre

That is simple. If after all these years some people just don't want to adapt, and they are "educating" far more people that it is great to die a glorious death because of reasons, then what other option do you have left? Leave them be? Lock them up? And what will happen the moment you shoot a terrorist? Who will be mad? Only those who support these people. At least you will know how many you will have to face. You just show to them you don't fuck around with people waving guns and killing other.

You are thinking of only the people who have already commited the crimes. You can and will stop those people.

But the point is, what happens with ones that are on the verge of becoming terrorists. Bullets dont reach them, bullets actually fuel and justify the cause to their eyes.

What's the deal with this supermarket situation? Who are these people? Woke up and now there are 2 incidents going on

A 3rd men named Coulibaly (the one who shot the police women yesterday) took people hostage and is asking for the brother Kouachi to be let go by the police. They apparently know each other.

Mimosa97

B66APQhCcAA9RLE.jpg

liger05

If it was IS I would say it has everything to do with it as they said they would attack those who joined the coalition and specifically mentioned the French. However the fact these guys had specific targets and not just anyone deemed French to be suggests it wasn't IS but who knows.

Alx

Just got home and read the latest news, how fucking depressing, regardless of whether all these incidents are directly connected.

And big surprise that it was a KOSHER shop that was targeted. No wonder Jews are fleeing France in substantial numbers these days.

It's not like that kind of thing happens every day...

B66XKhqCUAATT3h.jpg

https://twitter.com/lepenjm/status/553546024560889856/photo/1

This was posted by the founder of the far-right political party Le Front National with a picture of his daughter and actual president and presidential candidate Marine Le Pen. Polls shows she'll get 25% of votes at the next presidential elections. But in every case scenario she'd lose at the second round of voting (2 candidates gets through to the second round).

Once classy. Always classy ...

People are fucking dying and taken hostage and this guy is probably jumping around and dancing in his home. Makes me want to throw up.

Jean-Marie is one hell of a troll.

A 3rd men named Coulibaly (the one who shot the police women yesterday) took people hostage and is asking for the brother Kouachi to be let go by the police. They apparently know each other.

I wonder if the Kouachi brothers even agree with this. They claimed they don't kill women and civilians (even though one of the Charlie Hebdo victims is a woman), yet this Coulibaly is taking women and children hostages. What a bunch of crazies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom