• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abzyshaid

Banned
If it was IS I would say it has everything to do with it as they said they would attack those who joined the coalition and specifically mentioned the French. However the fact these guys had specific targets and not just anyone deemed French to be suggests it wasn't IS but who knows.

ISIS and AQ don't like each other but it seems more like a AQ hit as they target certain people.

If you put ISIS and AQ members in one room they would end up killing each other

I wonder if the Kouachi brothers even agree with this. They claimed they don't kill women and civilians (even though one of the Charlie Hebdo victims is a woman), yet this Coulibaly is taking women and children hostages. What a bunch of crazies...

They don't, the Kouachi brothers said that they wanted to die as martyrs, so Coulibaly is likely acting alone with this request.

A 3rd men named Coulibaly (the one who shot the police women yesterday) took people hostage and is asking for the brother Kouachi to be let go by the police. They apparently know each other.

Wait wait wait, I thought the supermarket situation was a false alarm.

So we have the current hostage situation with of the shooters who killed the cartoonist, and a separate active hostage situation of the shooter who killed the lady officer?

Fucking christ.

Nugg

So we have the current hostage situation with of the shooters who killed the cartoonist, and a separate active hostage situation of the shooter who killed the lady officer?

Fucking christ.

Yes, the false alarm was a third alert near the Eiffel tower.

Fuck I wake up and on Yahoo it says there's a hostage situation. This is seriously fucked up, I feel for France right now. They don't deserve this, nobody does.

Fucking christ.

The Trocadero one was a false alarm.

Fucking christ.

The Metro station incident was the false alarm.

nilbog21

Banned
They don't, the Kouachi brothers said that they wanted to die as martyrs, so Coulibaly is likely acting alone with this request.

Ya it seems likely that this guy is from the same cell and prob didnt think they could pull off this operation. now hes just tryin to get a piece of the spot light.. 4 Allah etc

Big Nikus

VPi33kI.jpg

Whoa, an article about the third shooter dating from 2009, in which he seems like a nice guy, happy to meet President Sarkozy, wtf...

Bigger image: http://i.imgur.com/5nBEerL.jpg

chadskin

Amedi Coulibaly, the third gunman currently holed up in the Paris grocery store, met Sarkozy in 2009 as a "model worker". It's getting weirder and weirder.

B66utJDIcAIKllK.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't read too much into that. If they wanted martyrdom they could storm out guns blazing. But they're not, they are all trying to weasel out of the situation because they are scared shitless.

Pretty much. They wouldn't have been on the run since yesterday if they wanted just to be martyrs.

The Associated Press ‏@AP 1m1 minute ago
BREAKING: Paris police: Market gunman threatens to kill hostages if police storm terrorist brothers.

The Associated Press ‏@AP 1m1 minute ago
BREAKING: Paris police: Market gunman threatens to kill hostages if police storm terrorist brothers.

So he basically just said that he needs to go first?

Dumbass.

Whole situation is spiraling out of control for these guys, they clearly didn't really think this threw. They want to die martyrs, but one other dude doesn't want them to be harmed.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Even if this is not true, why are reporters tweeting this stuff? "Hey terrorists, just so you know, the police are attacking soon. I'll tweet again when they give the go."

One reason why freedom of speech should not be wholly uncircumscribed

VPi33kI.jpg

Whoa, an article about the third shooter dating from 2009, in which he seems like a nice guy, happy to meet President Sarkozy, wtf...

Bigger image: http://i.imgur.com/5nBEerL.jpg

Looks like he radicalized soon after that because in spring 2010 he wanted to free Smaïn Aït Ali Belkacem who participated in the terror attack on the RER B in St Michel in 1995. One the Kouachi brother was in this case too, they both got arrested, Coulibaly was sentenced to 5 years in prison (got released this in 2014)and Chérif Kouachi was let go.

Doczu

Gold Member
You are thinking of only the people who have already commited the crimes. You can and will stop those people.

But the point is, what happens with ones that are on the verge of becoming terrorists. Bullets dont reach them, bullets actually fuel and justify the cause to their eyes.

And what will stop them from becoming terrorists if their religious leaders will spit hate that the education the goverment is trying to change their view on life and society? Cou can't do shit, because those who are already on the verge just need a cartoon to go violent. Going knee deep in their lives with "asimilation" won't change anything.

Shito

020-charlie.gif

"If you don't surrender, our elite cartoonist is going to draw a caricature of the Prophet!"

[EDIT]
Hahaha, beaten! :)
I'll leave it, though, because this cartoon is awesome. :)

It's not like that kind of thing happens every day...
Recently attacks on Jews are up significantly and there have been multiple instances of gunshots being fired at synagogues and Jewish businesses. It was pretty much a daily occurrence during the last Gaza war and hasn't gone away since.

I don't agree with this at all. Fuck that

Depends, no one is truly free. You must adhere to laws, for example in the UK you can get fined for swearing in public or arrested for walking naked, freedom of speech and expression offer no defence there.

The question is where do you draw the line? It is different for everyone.

EDIT: I am not defending the terrorists by the way, if you get offended fine, but no need to kill someone, just ignore it and carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom