• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Nomura draws an artwork for FFXI.

Dark_castle

ffxinomura_thumb.jpg

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/28/tetsuya-nomuras-take-final-fantasy-xi/

hoserx

pretty awesome. I wonder how long FFXI will keep going sometimes. Great memories with that title for me, mostly through my college years.

hoserx

Great art. Reminds me a lot of my great times with the game years ago.

Me too. It makes me think that this pic could be applicable for when the servers are taken down, too. Put a few teardrops in the eyes of the people....... Good night, sweet timesink.

Kyoufu

This image makes me really nostalgic. I remember getting my first AF set for my DRK. :')

What a game and a good piece of art from Nomura.

Great art. Reminds me a lot of my great times with the game years ago.

It's weird to be looking back on it. I remember seeing the leaked artwork from the announcement many years ago. I think it was 99? When the announced FFIX, X and XI at the same event.

hoserx

It's weird to be looking back on it. I remember seeing the leaked artwork from the announcement many years ago. I think it was 99? When the announced FFIX, X and XI at the same event.

I remember running the benchmark program to see how it was going to perform on my evga geforce 6800 ultra, lol.

Saroyan

I really like that picture, I played an Elvaan PLD and my old roommate played a Galka DRK so it really brings back memories :)

SPAW

Probably because he has nothing to do with FFIX, whereas he was the original character designer for the FFXI Humes, Elvaans and Zilarts:

Here's also a concept art he did that was only used in the first FFXI announcement trailer in 2000:

And here's one he did for the game's 10th anniversary:

that is precisely why it would be so interesting to see his take on it!

Anyways, thank you for some really nice drawings!

Azriell

Ugh this makes me so nostalgic for XI. Why couldn't XIV have been XI-2 like it should have been? My veins ache for XI, but I miss the days when everyone was exping everywhere and having a 75 or 2 was a big deal. I miss the days when Windurst, San'doria, and Bastok were full of people crafting and questing and the AHs in those places were viable shopping destinations and people were shouting for 2-3 fights and teleports.

I remember walking to Maze of Shakhrami for one of my earliest exp parties (a famous Maze Maker party) and seeing a 75 RDM on a chocobo and shitting myself. I didn't have a chocobo license at this point, or a subjob. I hadn't even been anywhere other than Windurst. At one point, I asked a friend of mine where "the next town was," because I thought the game was structured like a typical JRPG and you were supposed to go from town to town.

EXP parties may have been boring back in the day, but I always liked them because they were the perfect pace to talk to your party or LS while you killed stuff. One of my absolute favorite things about XI is that it was always a very social game, and nothing since has had that same vibe.

Ugh this makes me so nostalgic for XI. Why couldn't XIV have been XI-2 like it should have been? My veins ache for XI, but I miss the days when everyone was exping everywhere and having a 75 or 2 was a big deal. I miss the days when Windurst, San'doria, and Bastok were full of people crafting and questing and the AHs in those places were viable shopping destinations and people were shouting for 2-3 fights and teleports.

I remember walking to Maze of Shakhrami for one of my earliest exp parties (a famous Maze Maker party) and seeing a 75 RDM on a chocobo and shitting myself. I didn't have a chocobo license at this point, or a subjob. I hadn't even been anywhere other than Windurst. At one point, I asked a friend of mine where "the next town was," because I thought the game was structured like a typical JRPG and you were supposed to go from town to town.

EXP parties may have been boring back in the day, but I always liked them because they were the perfect pace to talk to your party or LS while you killed stuff. One of my absolute favorite things about XI is that it was always a very social game, and nothing since has had that same vibe.

100% agree. Had a talk with a friend recently where we were feeling super nostalgic about that game. Really miss it. Seems times a changing don't know if there will ever be another game like it again.

JB2448

And here's the artwork without the weird shadow in the back:
ffxinomura.jpg

Impressive. I enjoy Nomura's artwork of characters in a group usually, and this is no exception.

SPAW

Ongoing, yet stagnating. A remake can increase subscription numbers. It doesn't have to be a full blown remake, but having graphics on par with FFXIV.

Trust me, this will never happen. first, it would then occupy the same space that FFXIV is trying to capture - FF-mmorg with sexy graphics. second, FFXI can be used to win over those gamers unable to play FFXIV for hardware reasons.

Overall, FFXI is a cheap way of bringing in extra £ without having to do anything more than simple upkeep and small PR adventures to reclaim lost players by playing on nostalgia.

Here's also a concept art he did that was only used in the first FFXI announcement trailer in 2000:
MOQx0XD.jpg
Looking at this picture, I kinda think this is what FFVII's world would've looked like during it's medieval period. Interesting, though, I'm not much for Nomura's more modern art, but I'd LOVE a medieval FF game that delves HIGHLY into his medieval-inspired art.

I also remember that video that showed other areas of FFXI(early build). There were some really colorful, pastel-looking fantasy towns and floating balloon cities(which I think will eventually be used in FFXIV, given some of the concept art).

studyguy

The colored top post looks like badly proportioned deviant art tbh.
Nomura's style doesn't fit the XI style, everything is much more subdued. Some of the sketches are nice though.

Kasumin

Hrm. I love this Nomura art, but I typically can't stand Nomura's art haha.

Tetsuya Nomura is far more versatile than people give him credit for.

As for the people saying he should be working on KH3... really? You think that because he drew one piece of art, that means he's slacking on KH3? Yeesh...

Glad to see him keep doing promotional images for the series. This reminds me of some of his Dissidia work.

jiggle

Not up to his usual standard IMO
The faces esp
Don't even look like he drew them

Probably because he has nothing to do with FFIX, whereas he was the original character designer for the FFXI Humes, Elvaans and Zilarts:

And here's one he did for the game's 10th anniversary:

Now these are great :0

Top Bottom