• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Nomura talks about the D23 (July 14-16) Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer with Famitsu

RCU005

I think this is going to be the last trailer I see for Kingdom Hearts 3. I already know I want to play it, and I have gone blind in every game from the series. I just hope is not too long until it is released.

I guess that if they are showing more trailers, it means that the release date is getting closer.

The amount of discussion and hype and preparation and planning and further discussion all for the reveal of a goddamned TRAILER is unreal. Jesus Christ.

I don't blame Nomura for this. We should know by now that announcements of announcements are how Square-Enix rolls. Even for mobile games.

Like Tabata's Dawn trailer of just Noctis and Regis and then an extended Dawn trailer like they were stretching out one story trailer for two showings.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
- English and Japanese versions will be made available. He encourages fans to watch both because there are slight differences

Wasn't he talking about the Orchestra trailer here?

Edit: Wait, he said the next trailer. It's funny since it was the same for the Orchestra trailer, although maybe these differences will be more pronounced considering how subtle it was for this one.

If there isn't a release date, he can shove it.

tumblr_inline_n2nly5TfAn1qikg4p.gif

It'll probably be the same here. If they show gameplay they'll be capturing footage from both versions since it's being localized alongside development.

It also wouldn't look good if they continue to show trailers of the game that's been in development for 4 years and they don't even have translated menus.

raven777

Edit: Wait, he said the next trailer. It's funny since it was the same for the Orchestra trailer, although maybe these differences will be more pronounced considering how subtle it was for this one.
That's mistranslation. It says "this trailer" in the original Japanese interview.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That's mistranslation. It says "this trailer" in the original Japanese interview.

Oh ok, I guess we'll see what we get for D23 then.

It'll probably be the same here. If they show gameplay they'll be capturing footage from both versions since it's being localized alongside development.

It also wouldn't look good if they continue to show trailers of the game that's been in development for 4 years and they don't even have translated menus.

Well I was wondering if we'd get two trailers again. It's still possible though.

I think I read somewhere Star Wars would be hard to do since EA has the license.

I guess it depends. WB put out a Lego Star Wars game last year so unless big multi-year deals were in place it looks like it can be done.

At most I'm expecting them to include Star Wars related stuff in the Gummi Ship sections of KH3. I feel like they'll stick to Disney's CG movies/Pixar for the most part with KH3. Future games can and probably will get Marvel/Star Wars reps.

raven777

They have been making 2 very slightly different trailers for 2.8 as well, capturing from each versions using same sequences but with minor differences like camera angles. So I wouldn't be surprised if most of the future KH3 trailers do this as well.

"Before 2020"

������������

When they said their titles will release "in the next 3 years or so" they were referring to all of their titles which includes the Marvel games they just greenlit. Avengers isn't even getting a proper reveal trailer until next year.

Are they shying away from the Final Fantasy elements in this game? I would like for them to go to a world based on FF games as opposed to all being from Disney properties. I know that's way out of left field and probably not a popular sugestion.

JayEH

Are they shying away from the Final Fantasy elements in this game? I would like for them to go to a world based on FF games as opposed to all being from Disney properties. I know that's way out of left field and probably not a popular sugestion.

closet we'll get to that is Radiant Garden and Destiny Islands. They said there won't be anymore FF worlds in 3. I don't like that the FF aspect of KH has been greatly diminished as of late.

If there isn't a release date, he can shove it.

As harsh as this is, I cant help but agree. The game has been in development for over four years now, I get that development takes time but if a trailer is shown and then nothing is said about the game for another year...we"ll know what we"re getting into.

So hard to stay away from videos man. I wish I could not watch the videos, but been so information starved I need something to keep my spirits up. Really rather not know what the new world is but sure It would be used as a title on a thread here.

closet we'll get to that is Radiant Garden and Destiny Islands. They said there won't be anymore FF worlds in 3. I don't like that the FF aspect of KH has been greatly diminished as of late.

I still remember when I first heard of Kingdom Hearts. I couldn't believe Square was making a game combining two defining elements of my childhood, Final Fantasy and Disney.

Hope they don't forget that original premise completely.

As harsh as this is, I cant help but agree. The game has been in development for over four years now, I get that development takes time but if a trailer is shown and then nothing is said about the game for another year...we"ll know what we"re getting into.

I think we'll get a "2018" at the end of this. Since the game was revealed we've gotten a trailer every 2 years usually with the gameplay looking like a tech demo.

Now we're getting 2 trailers in the span of a month and the gameplay featured in the last one looked polished and exciting unlike the previous trailers. It was the first time I could look at the gameplay and go "Yeah this actually looks like a real video game". I don't think they're gonna start showing trailers this often and then go radio silent, game is coming together.

Or they could just disappear again for over a year and I pull my hair out.

Unless English VA officially began after June 10th for KH3 then I'd be surprised if the next trailer has English voices.

I imagine the last one wasn't dubbed because it'd be a bit of a waste of money to bring James Woods in to voice for a trailer, since the script might not be fully set in stone.

I think we'll get a "2018" at the end of this. Since the game was revealed we've gotten a trailer every 2 years usually with the gameplay looking like a tech demo.

Now we're getting 2 trailers in the span of a month and the gameplay featured in the last one looked polished and exciting unlike the previous trailers. It was the first time I could look at the gameplay and go "Yeah this actually looks like a real video game". I don't think they're gonna start showing trailers this often and then go radio silent, game is coming together.

Or they could just disappear again for over a year and I pull my hair out.

Psx and jump festa up next.

Psx and jump festa up next.

I'd love for them to end each trailer with a silhouette of something new and a tease for the next trailer but I want to keep expectations in check. Square-Enix's been blueballing me for over a decade and these trailers are exciting and confusing.

Famassu

How do we know this yet? Lol. Both were a bunch of false promises. I won't believe KH3 is coming out until we're like a week away from release.
Because they've already released what is essentially the prologue to KHIII and it was good & felt fairly polished (like, as a look into what they have achieved with KHIII tech so far, it was lightyears beyond FFXV's Episode Duscae) and are now showing the game twice within a month with actual gameplay that looks very polished and close to the finished thing & promises of the next trailer in about 3 weeks showing things (plural) that they think will satisfy fans' expectations. This isn't just some early tech demo with half unfinished assets & early gameplay with half unfinished features, but clearly something that resembles a game at or at least getting close to the final stretches of development.

In no way is this another Versus XIII. While they had some production issues early on with KHIII (mostly having to switch to UE4, and even with that they were wise and got Epic heavily involved to not be too hung up on the engine change), Versus XIII/XV took so long because Nomura & Co didn't have any resources beyond a small team preparing the concept & tech of it for YEARS after its announcement, its production constantly delayed & affected by troubles in the development of FFXIII & XIV 1.0 & 2.0. And then it was so late in the PS360 generation they soft rebooted the game on PS4Bone.

In comparison, KHIII has been actively worked on since ~Fall 2012, and apart from small parts of the Osaka Team HD remastering the old KHs and creating Fragmentary Passage, they've been working on it continuously all this time. It's just a big ass game. As you can see from the most recent trailer, one world in this game will be beyond anything in past games (the world stretches from the base of Mt. Olympus to the heavens + even seems to have some indoors locations, which should all be without any loading screens) and that kind of game simply takes more than 2-3 years to develop, unless they want the game to have, like, only 5 worlds.

mortal

Hyping up a trailer...really?

Isn't that trailer's job to get people hyped about the game proper?

At least have a release date. It'll be nearly 5 years since it was originally announced.

killatopak

Early 2019 release date mark my words.

I still remember when I first heard of Kingdom Hearts. I couldn't believe Square was making a game combining two defining elements of my childhood, Final Fantasy and Disney.

Hope they don't forget that original premise completely.

They've forgotten it for years. Where's the final fantasy worlds? Final fantasy partners and assists?

It's all about disney.

Top Bottom