• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas House advances bill allowing adoption agencies to discriminate.

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/862150509423099904

#Breaking: Tx House just passed bill to allow adoption and foster care agencies to deny services bc of faith #txlege

AUSTIN, Texas — Parents seeking to adopt children in Texas could soon be rejected by state-funded or private agencies with religious objections to them being Jewish, Muslim, gay, single, or interfaith couples, under a proposal in the Republican-controlled Legislature.

Five other states have passed similar laws protecting faith-based adoption organizations that refuse to place children with gay parents or other households on religious grounds — but Texas' rule would extend to state-funded agencies. Only South Dakota's is similarly sweepingly.

Ahh, yes, the totally reasonable idea of banning single people, Jews, and interfaith people (along with the obvious targets of gays and Muslims) from adopting children. What a plan what could-JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

This bill will likely not go into law I would guess because it probably violates the first amendment, but jfc.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...cies-could-soon-ban-gays-jews-muslims-n756201

can cps deny excessively religious people the right to adopt based on the fact that they're lunatics?

like kids being raised in cults doesn't seem right, but don't know how the 1st amendment applies there

It's for charity. Widows and orphans. We need more of them.
D4zcJE7.jpg

I expected "gay" because, as a child adopted by lesbian parents, I've been well aware of the legal contentions of that for basically my entire life. But Jews, Muslims, interfaith couples? You could not possibly make this more "ONLY WHITE CHRISTIANS" if you included that exact phrase. There is literally no possible way this is Constitutional. Even Scalia would have said "tone it down, guys." Fuck you Texas.

Kevdo

Didn't you know that only white Christian traditional families raise good, God-fearing American children? Why would you want anything else?

Hypron

It's ironic that the same guys will go on and on about Sharia law, when it's obvious they'd vote for a christian equivalent in a heartbeat given the bullshit they keep on pushing.

Ri'Orius

I expected "gay" because, as a child adopted by lesbian parents, I've been well aware of the legal contentions of that for basically my entire life. But Jews, Muslims, interfaith couples? You could not possibly make this more "ONLY WHITE CHRISTIANS" if you included that exact phrase. There is literally no possible way this is Constitutional. Even Scalia would have said "tone it down, guys." Fuck you Texas.

No, see, the law doesn't ban Jews from adopting. It gives adoption administrators the freedom to make decisions based on their personal beliefs.

Why do you hate freedom?

It's ironic that the same guys will go on and on about Sharia law, when it's obvious they'd vote for a christian equivalent in a heartbeat given the bullshit they keep on pushing.

Those people don't care about it because it's religiously motivated, they care because it's motivated by the wrong religion.

It is disturbing that this state is victim to monsters who think they can dictate who is or isnt qualified to adopt or where kids should go to use a fucking bathroom.

Arttemis

It's as though they're intentionally trying to continue to create the kind of legislation that Hitler would admire and emulate.

Wilsongt

Passed the Texas house and senate. Becomes law once Republican governor Abbott signs it. Also, "new" anti-trans bathroom law passed by the Texas house and soon to be voted on by the senate (likely to pass).

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...throom-bill-ok-religious-refusal-of-adoptions

Yep. Sounds like Republicans. This chipping away a civil liberties and increased discrimination is largely going ignored due to President Dumbass and his Shitty Cabinet dominating the news.

It's a shame. And it's happening so fast the ACLU can't keep up.

Seems to me that if Federal funds are being used they shouldn't be able to discriminate based on religious grounds. Guess we'll just have to wait for the Supreme Court. Hopefully nobody else dies.

It sucks living in one of the more blue areas of Texas (Dallas) and seeing this kind of stuff pass in our government

I sure hope Beto O'rourke can mount a good enough campaign to take our senate seat. It's going to be tough given our history and the fact that he's not taking any money from PACs

Yep. Sounds like Republicans. This chipping away a civil liberties and increased discrimination is largely going ignored due to President Dumbass and his Shitty Cabinet dominating the news.

It's a shame. And it's happening so fast the ACLU can't keep up.

The ACLU can't file any kind of suit until it officially becomes law I'm pretty sure. I think they're very well and up on all of this going on.

Lawsuits will definitely be filed and all, but I'm hoping companies will have the guts to do what they did last time with North Carolina and boycott the state, especially the NCAA again. Unfortunately, Texas's economy is a lot bigger than NC's, so I don't know if they will find their balls here or not. Hopefully, they do, and we can help to wreck TX's economy some because of this.

Koomaster

If you're actively wanting to exclude whole groups of people from adopting, you should at least have 'appropriate' homes lined up for each orphan ready to go. Otherwise you are denying these kids loving homes because of your own hatred.

It's amazing how different the major cities of Texas are from the shithole rest of this state. Seriously ruins it for eceryone.

RDreamer

It's amazing how different the major cities of Texas are from the shithole rest of this state. Seriously ruins it for eceryone.

That's every city/state. I live in Wisconsin and outside the cities everyone feels like a walking southern stereotype complete with defense of the confederate flag and everything.

Seems to me that if Federal funds are being used they shouldn't be able to discriminate based on religious grounds. Guess we'll just have to wait for the Supreme Court. Hopefully nobody else dies.

Yea that's what I was thinking. How is this not outright discrimination?

My white parents were not allowed to adopt black children in 1996 in Michigan. They went on to adopt Russian and Chinese children instead. Less hassle than here in the US.

Kthulhu

I love how Abbott is so intent on making our already shit foster care system even shittier even though his adopted daughter has had to live through it.

Kthulhu

No, see, the law doesn't ban Jews from adopting. It gives adoption administrators the freedom to make decisions based on their personal beliefs.

Why do you hate freedom?

You joke, but this actually sounds like what they'd use as a defense.

mnannola

How does 'separation of church and state' go with state funded adoption agencies discriminating based on faith? Am I missing something or is this in clear violation of the 1st Amendment?

emag

How does 'separation of church and state' go with state funded adoption agencies discriminating based on faith? Am I missing something or is this in clear violation of the 1st Amendment?

The Constitution is just a piece of paper unless the executive branch enforces it.

Top Bottom