• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2 Engineer update incoming?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hope the wrench is just an early drop for lucky people, I could live with an unnumbered wrench as long as I can get one!

And I don't even play engie :lol.

Blizzard

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
on the wrench page, it implies that those who have wrenches were hitting the "craft it" button.
Or maybe there are two sets of people, set X and set Y, and set X were fighting hard and being team players, and set Y were fighting while sitting around pressing the craft it button, and set X got all 100 wrenches, and set Y was enraged and the memories of set X was engraved on set Y's hearts as on the list!

...BELIEVE

Won

Yeah.....I don't think I get the wrench stuff.....I will just assume there will be more to it at the end of the week.

ColtraineGF said:
So, assuming they are giving out 25 wrenches a day through random magic...

Today: 1-25
Tueday: 26-50
Wednesday: 51-75
Thursday: 76-100

It would end on a Thursday, so...Engineer Update Thursday, with accompanying free weekend?

please please please
TF2 class update + WC final weekend = worst timing ever .

MNC

EmCeeGramr said:
Code:
TF2 CANONICAL BACKSTORY

wait

the final life extension machine was created on april 14th

that's the day abraham lincoln "died"

lincoln escaped with the help of engie's grandpa and became the first pyro

but that means the current pyro is..........

Code:
TF2 CANONICAL BACKSTORY
OH MY GOD

JESUS CHRIST WHAT

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Diablohead said:
Is it me of has a lot of items had a buggy drop or released early? such as the crit-a-cola and other misc weapons you can craft, seems fishy.

The Golden Wrench is supposed to be out. There was a way to craft it but Valve fixed it and took away all the wrenches from people who attained it by crafting. If the Wrench wasn't supposed to be dropping, they would have taken it away from everyone.

DarkKyo

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Three people in the server I was playing in received the Golden Wrench.
No, what actually happened is three people in completely random servers received it and the game announces each wrench drop to every server connected to steam.

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Code:
TF2 CANONICAL BACKSTORY

wait

the final life extension machine was created on april 14th

that's the day abraham lincoln "died"

lincoln escaped with the help of engie's grandpa and became the first pyro

but that means the current pyro is..........

Code:
TF2 CANONICAL BACKSTORY
But that's just the pyro for one team, back then! Does this take into account cloning/reviving after Lincoln got killed for the first time in battle (perhaps by a heavy)? Was it only for one team, and the opposing team had, say, Calamity Jane as the pyro?

*edit* Also, Lincoln was tall and thin. I think the mystery is not solved yet. =(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I just love that map, tying the official maps together geographically is one more step to the TF2 MMOFPS.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I still think they should make a game type similar to Snake mode in MGS Online, and have a third team of JUST Saxton Hale.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well I know what I'm doing all day tomorrow....and Wednesday....and Thursday...

Also, I totally wouldn't be surprised if the Pyro is Abe Lincoln. That is totally Valve style

Also, is there an online archive for all the stuff that Valve has posted? I want to see that newspaper from the War update again, but I'm not sure how to find it.

cpsteel0000.jpg

That guy saying "again" is in reference to the fact we had at least one more before this.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh my god this is some LOST shit right here.

So looking at the pictures....

There is a blueprint for the bomb cart from payload maps. There is a blueprint for some kind of sentry on wheels. Apparently there was a contraption to fake Abraham Lincoln's death. Some sort of robot. Some kind gun hidden in a stovepipe hat that has something to do with Australium bars.

Also, the John Wilkes booth wanted poster, perhaps suggesting that you'll be able to kill someone and take their hat? Or something?

I'm freakin geekin out here.

The Technomancer

Actually, has it occurred to anyone that the "immortality machine" might just be Valve's way of trying to explain how the characters get blown up, shot, and killed repeatedly all the time, and yet are clearly distinct actual people with names and histories?

Here's their blog post since the website is pretty hammered right now:

Those of you who spent the weekend Tokyo drift-racing your way to a rap battle—or whatever it is people do when they go outside on the weekend—probably feel pretty good about yourselves right now. At the end of the day, though, what do you have to show for it? Vague memories of changing lanes. Twenty-five of the people who wisely chose to stay home and craft items, on the other hand, now have shiny new ultra-rare golden wrenches that they can keep. For a weekend? No. For a lifetime. Eat it, drift-racers. Eat all of it.

Luckily for you wrenchless unfortunates, there's still time to get one. A further 75 golden wrenches can be found through crafting all this week*. We'll also be teasing Engie's new weapons (the first of which, the revenge-critting Frontier Justice,, is currently on display)—with all of this culminating in the long-awaited Engineer Update this Thursday!

*Note that we've disabled the Smelt Reclaimed Metal & Smelt Refined Metal recipes. They'll work again once the Engineer Update goes live.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn i need to play tf2 so i can get a wrench.

Just noticed the shotgun. I expect engineers on the front lines spamming shotguns :lol

I hope none of those rare golden wrenches are from people in idle servers, that would be annoying as shit.

*edit* new shotgun sounds like it puts the older shotty to shame, who will use the older weakass one?

That shotgun seems a bit overpowered. I guess the fact that most engies stay in one place helps, but I'm not seeing any real tradeoff.

evlcookie said:
Damn i need to play tf2 so i can get a wrench.

Just noticed the shotgun. I expect engineers on the front lines spamming shotguns :lol
pretty much what I am going to do tonight :lol

V_Ben

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
That shotgun seems a bit overpowered. I guess the fact that most engies stay in one place helps, but I'm not seeing any real tradeoff.

the fact that there are less shots could be seen to mean that you have to be more careful when taking them. maybe? I don't play much, so i could be wrong.

EmCeeGramr said:

Yeah, don't like the fact that if your sentry is destroyed (even if you destroy it yourself), you still get bonus crits so you can always, build, then destroy sg, then rush in with pretty much a guaranteed shotgun crit

V_Ben said:
the fact that there are less shots could be seen to mean that you have to be more careful when taking them. maybe? I don't play much, so i could be wrong.

If only there were some way engies could have ammo dispensed to them somehow while standing near a turret farm.

Won

So there really won't be more than 100 wrenches I guess. That kinda sucks. I doubt I will ever see one in action with such a low number. :lol

V_Ben

Banned
MrNyarlathotep said:
If only there were some way engies could have ammo dispensed to them somehow while standing near a turret farm.

I know, I know. how would reloading times factor into this? I'm sure valve has this all balanced anyway :D

V_Ben said:

Maybe it can stop spy-hunting by those engies who constantly shoot at one particular spot, may want to conserve the crits :p

Chris R

flipping_heck said:
Yeah, don't like the fact that if your sentry is destroyed (even if you destroy it yourself), you still get bonus crits so you can always, build, then destroy sg, then rush in with pretty much a guaranteed shotgun crit
Yea, that sounds like the best strategy ever, a engineer building a sentry, destroying it, and then rushing in with a single shotgun crit shot... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I actually like the sound of the weapon, might make me play engineer more often as well.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Wonder if the new map(s) is gonna be Hale River or the Thunder Mountains.

And I think I'm at the ideal spot with crafting, given that I craft as soon as possible. Right now I've got exactly one spare item for every class. No matter what I get I can craft.

...I want a fucking wrench. GIMME A FUCKING WRENCH.

The Technomancer

How does Valve, through a few comics and videos, create a more compelling universe and characters then most games do in their entirety?

Also, damn, I don't have a lot in my loadout. Well, I never craft much anyway, random drops have always been enough, so I'll just craft away all of my extras. You never know...

V_Ben

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
How does Valve, through a few comics and videos, create a more compelling universe and characters then most games do in their entirety?

They have such a fantastic team of writers. They know exactly what to both say and, more importantly, what not to say :D

rhfb said:
Yea, that sounds like the best strategy ever, a engineer building a sentry, destroying it, and then rushing in with a single shotgun crit shot... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I actually like the sound of the weapon, might make me play engineer more often as well.

If the crits stack, engy can always build and destroy and have loads of crits ready

Top Bottom