• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2 Engineer update incoming?

Twig

Banned
Diablohead said:
Someone should tell them it's not a random drop but a chance to earn it via crafting anything.
I'm still idling to get items to craft, though.

Of course I've already gotten 3 (if hats count) out of the possible 7-8 for the week so I'll soon be done with that.

Slavik81

Hmm, so if there are only 100 Golden Wrenches...

Given that there are 24,000 TF2 players online right now, and presuming 100,000 people total play over the course of the unlocking, if you're an average player you have a roughly 1 in 1000 chance of getting one.

Since this is my first year playing TF2 on PC (don't murder me) this will be my first update where I will experience everyone being the same class. So excited!

Twig

Banned
Slavik81 said:

Given that there are 24,000 TF2 players online right now, and presuming 100,000 people total play over the course of the unlocking, if you're an average player you have a roughly 1 in 1000 chance of getting one.
That's only if you actually have items to craft.

I'd bet the AVERAGE player doesn't. People who hoard items have a higher chance of getting the wrench than people who constantly craft or people who don't play all the time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Slavik81 said:

Eh, not really. You're not factoring in the number of players that might not have stuff to craft with.

Twig said:

I'd bet the AVERAGE player doesn't. People who hoard items have a higher chance of getting the wrench than people who constantly craft or people who don't play all the time.

Exactly. I've been crafting items and weapons for the last couple weeks. So I have nothing left to craft for the wrench. T_T

Won

I only know that this event sucks.

Can we not just go back to killing Demomen over and over? That was sooo much better.

Diablohead said:
I am thinking that the gun has a bar along the bottom which stores the crits, up to a set value of either 3 due to ammo in the gun or something a little higher.

Bonus crits for destroying a sentry will probably be worked out on how many crits you have at that point, so blowing up your own sentry with no crits in storage = no bonus.
I think the design shows a ticker on it, it'll stack up as high as it needs to I think.

Crafted 2 pieces of refined metal yesterday. Bad timing I guess.

Slavik81

Twig said:

thetrin said:
Eh, not really. You're not factoring in the number of players that might not have stuff to craft with.
I suppose that since there's a low limit on how 'rich' you can be, the average must be pretty low.

njr

Gah, I was on a server playing on hoodoo, crafted 4 times and got nothing. Next thing that happens, someone else crafts and gets wrech #28 :lol

Firebrand

Was it on your server though? When someone gets a wrench its broadcast to all players on all servers.

Yes, now's the time to pick a really obscene nickname, just in case.

njr

Firebrand said:
Was it on your server though? When someone gets a wrench its broadcast to all players on all servers.

Yes, now's the time to pick a really obscene nickname, just in case.

Hmm didn't know that, probably not then. Heh, That gives a real willy wonka feeling to it.

Lkr

need more help:
I want to use a spray that is a jpeg. I thought jpegs were compatible, but I get an error saying corrupt file when trying to use it. the image loads just in a pic viewer

btw is finding a wrench completely random?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Won said:
I only know that this event sucks.

Can we not just go back to killing Demomen over and over? That was sooo much better.
Releasing only 100 gold wrenches suck. Valve can redeem themselves is giving us the same drop rate as the night when the soldier/demo update dropped. That was pretty awesome.

I entertain no such illusion that I will receive that wrench, I can't even get a dupe Jarate drop so I can use my dupe Axetinguisher to make a Scotsman Skullcutter. Or get the Skullcutter itself as a drop.

If I can't even get common items I want, why entertain the thought of getting something so rare?

It's stupid to release a limited quantity, that shit better be like the Ghastly Gibus.

DeSo

Banned
axiomnightmare said:
I wish the wrenches were not crafting based but play based.
Same. I've reached my drop cap and have been crafting regularly and therefore have no spare items to craft with.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
i hate bees said:
Classy until the end.

9jdlvn.jpg

Had to be done.

parasight

dark_inferno said:
Nice Feature. But Useless.

They're not going to introduce a limited 100-only item that is actually useful. But it's still sweet to earn the bragging rights.

I heard it's not even random though. All the drops have a predetermined timer algorithm or something, and supposedly people have been correctly predicting the drop time within 5 minutes or so.

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Are you sure? All servers get an update when anyone gets a wrench on any server.

Certain. You can see someone had written "Again?" as at the time that was the second time that had been awarded.

A friend I also play with states that another three were awarded in server he was on.

The update might not be working as well as it should.

big black woman said:
do my chances increase the more i craft? or should i just craft once?
Every 55 minutes or so someone will "find" a wrench when they craft, it's timed so every time they hit 25, 50, 75 and 100 it's around the evening time in the UK, when valve usually update a daily update.

Craft around the right time and you might earn a wrench as you craft.

vgamer1

Diablohead said:
Every 55 minutes or so someone will "find" a wrench when they craft, it's timed so every time they hit 25, 50, 75 and 100 it's around the evening time in the UK, when valve usually update a daily update.

Incorrect, I think. There's no specific time intervals when wrenches drop, as there have been wrenches that dropped about 10 minutes from each other.

Proven

vgamer1 said:
Incorrect, I think. There's no specific time intervals when wrenches drop, as there have been wrenches that dropped about 10 minutes from each other.
Maybe in the beginning, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Rlan

It's so bullshit just how difficult it is to craft stuff. It takes 54 weapons (27 Scrap Metal = 9 Reclaimed Metal = 3 Refined Metal) to build a random hat.

Rickard

Rlan said:
It's so bullshit just how difficult it is to craft stuff. It takes 54 weapons (27 Scrap Metal = 9 Reclaimed Metal = 3 Refined Metal) to build a random hat.
People really want those hats man.

Twig

Banned
Diablohead said:

http://tf2stats.net/wrenches

Top Bottom