• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGS Forza 5: Severe Visual Degradation? No, Uncalibrated TVs, No Geek Squad Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
I was expecting a big improvement in visuals, not a downgrade. Please don't tell me F5's resolution has been downed as well or something similar. Hopefully they sort it out before release. I still want to buy this when I eventually buy an Xbox One, but if it's a lacklustre effort I just won't bother. Already annoyed at the limited amount of info they've given, any downgrades would just be poor show.

Krakn3Dfx

I guess, Forza 5 needed to be balanced.

tumblr_lxpbrn3HC01rn95k2o1_250.gif

Meh, taken with a grain of salt. Just wait for the reviews and final build to pass judgment. Probably badly calibrated monitor.

hawk2025

hmm.

Still cautiously optimistic.

But I get the impression that this news, along with the whole deal with releasing chunks of content that won't be on the disc via download, tells me that they polished the shit out of the couple of tracks they were showing before, and now are working on everything else and running out of time.

I just don't see how a game that was already running on hardware (it was running on hardware, right? That was confirmed?) would get downgraded. Doesn't make much sense.

Derrick01

Banned
Kind of funny to me how this is turning out. Months ago everyone was making fun of the PS4 exclusives for not looking so good despite the more powerful hardware, but they kept improving as months went on. The XB1 exclusives all seem to be getting downgrades of some kind as time goes on.

hawk2025

The Forza footage from Major Nelsons event in Boston looked completely fine to me.

Which track was shown there?

I also thought it looked amazing in that footage, so I don't see where this is coming from, unless like I said before the rest of the game is simply undercooked compared to what had previously been shown.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
hmm.

Still cautiously optimistic.

But I get the impression that this news, along with the whole deal with releasing chunks of content that won't be on the disc via download, tells me that they polished the shit out of the couple of tracks they were showing before, and now are working on everything else and running out of time.

I just don't see how a game that was already running on hardware (it was running on hardware, right? That was confirmed?) would get downgraded. Doesn't make much sense.

That's what MS 'said' yes, but a few people were sceptical, including me.

meppi

It looks so shiny and clean, even sterile at this point. Not sure if I like that. :-/
Reminds me a bit of how CoD looks to keep the framerate at 60.

Also, whoever thought that making the sun do the things it's doing in this game must either be blind, or played too much BF3 and thought to himself: "That's what missing from racing games! You can see where you are supposed to drive in them!"

i-Lo

Besides academic forum dwellers, people seldom give a second though to resolution. I'd rather have them drop "native 1080p" (but better than 720p if possible) to improve other, more readily identifiable aspects of visuals.

nib95

Banned
This is absolutely nothing. Configuration of TVs or something.

My guess too.

TV's set with sharpness up too high, on dynamic mode or something. Worst case a drop in AA or resolution, but I'm doubting the latter. Usually things get better optimised late cycle, not the opposite. Having said that, I think Ryse's resolution drop has people a bit nervous about any further downgrades on other games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Then why did the MS rep say, "we are aware of the problem." No one had the remotes to calibrate the TVs I guess. :p

"We're aware the TVs are shit" or something. That or one level is not as far along as the others. It's silly to suppose the game was downgrade since like two weeks ago with the highly boycottable PAX showing.

thuway

Damn, I don't get it. I'm missing context. :(

The Xbox Defense Force has been trying to convince the mainstream gamer that Xbox One is at relative parity with PS4 in terms of performance because it is "balanced". It's double speak, marketing garbage that dances around math.

And for those of you doubting Turn 10's ability, don't. Turn 10 knows what they are doing. The game did not magically drop that severely in performance. Unless some disaster happened.

Ryse, however, is as expected downgrade from 1080p --> 900p.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
"We're aware the TVs are shit" or something. That or one level is not as far along as the others. It's silly to suppose the game was downgrade since like two weeks ago with the highly boycottable PAX showing.

Hah, yeah I guess. Seriously Sony and MS need to send TV calibration experts to all their expos from now on. The same problem happened with Driveclub at PAX.

jhendrix

Banned
Seriously do not think we are going to get major downgrades this late in the game in games that have been playable on ever game conference show floor since E3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hah, yeah I guess. Seriously Sony and MS need to send TV calibration experts to all their expos from now on. The same problem happened with Driveclub at PAX.

Bad TV set ups can ruin demos. I hope when demo kiosks for PS4 and XBO go out the TVs are set up right because if not a lot of people won't be convinced to upgrade.

def sim

This is absolutely nothing. Configuration of TVs or something.

It certainly reads like it could be that. It could be people aren't reading the OP, but a drop to what seems like 720p is far less believable than poorly calibrated televisions.

Though I do believe in cboats incoming shit storm, I don't think this is it.

Hope this is not true. This was the standout launch window Xbox one game for me at e3. Played well with nice rumble trigger support, but the graphics were so sweet it became a must have title! If the game gets a big visual downgrade I may just cancel my xbox one preorder.

thuway

From personal friends at PAX, and Proelite-kun, Drive Club was looking like a mess with people asking if that game really is next-gen. The updated build Rushy has posted looks light years ahead.

Prelude.

It's the new MS buzzword that replaced 'cloud power'.
The Xbox Defense Force has been trying to convince the mainstream gamer that Xbox One is at relative parity with PS4 in terms of performance because it is "balanced". It's double speak, marketing garbage that dances around math.

And for those of you doubting Turn 10's ability, don't. Turn 10 knows what they are doing. The game did not magically drop that severely in performance. Unless some disaster happened.

Ryse, however, is as expected downgrade from 1080p --> 900p.
Thanks. And holy shit at 18 results for "balance" in that article.

Proelite

The new direct feed Drive Club footage is miles better than what I saw of Drive Club at Pax.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No it isn't, it is a descriptor made by one of the key engineers system for a euro gamer interview - an interview which, IMO, was pleasantly devoid of the usual empty phrases and smoke and mirrors, given by two people who actually seemed fairly earnest and down to earth. It is not PR speak, and it is fairly disingenuous to characterize it as such.

I'm not sure if you are being very 'dry' or whether I'm imagining seeing the word 'balanced' everywhere :)

It also depends on whether MS had any influence on the DF article.

thuway

Wasn't there supposed to be some big move being made right now? CBoaT hinted at something happening in September.

There is the cult of MisterXMedia // Beyond 3D who believe this hocus pocus that Microsoft will unveil a second GPU inside the Xbox 1. They believe it is the explanation for the larger power draw of the machine.

The original Japanese source does appear at first glance to be a Forza fan. He seems generally disappointed and worried about what has happened since E3. He said the responsive triggers in the controller were a nice addition, but in addition to the monitor issues, he also expressed concern over a few other things, I think...

Even though there is only just two months until the release of the North American version, in this exhibition, not mentioning the monitor adjustment mistake, it was worrisome, the multiplayer mode and recording vehicle model, a smart match with the cloud server still were not to announced as well as details of the collaboration with TOP GEAR. "Forza" fans still want to know.

There is more. The cloud server running data of friends to AI cars is limited to traveling in four although it was announced at E3 still has not been shown. "Forza" series, is known to not give the information hard until just before release, but I mean, they don't do anything to verify the commitment they made at E3, not visiting any of them even once, suggesting how the development has found difficulties in the above areas.

It should be noted that, in the video that you fall into a strange sense of the video of the game is moving in reality by utilizing the technique of film speed. A new trailer that has been published in accordance with the timing of the Tokyo Game Show, "Forza Film Speed" is what Forza was promised to look like, but I wonder if there is really time for the launch of North America to look the same. While I have inflated expectations as one of the "Forza" fan, I'm a little worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom