• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thank God I didn't buy COD3

Seriously how could the 360-version get 8.8/10 points from IGN?

I borrowed it yesterday from my local video store and WOW:

It's the same crap as in COD2. The same gameplay (still unrealistic as ****), the same animations, the same stupid "story".
Everytime the same soundclips, the same falling-sequences etc.

I hate these scence where the enemies appear from just nothing or your soldier-mates run in front of your line of fire *ding* restart the whole **** because friendly fire is verboten.

When I start my 360, load the last check-point, why do I have to watch the boring sequences every godamn time? I wanna skip this!!

I'm so glad I didn't buy this and spend my money on Gears of War instead. GOW was and still is 1000 times more fun than this.

PS: The graphics in COD3 are nice and I like these "Push this or that button for hand to hand combat or setting up an explosive"-sequences.

Tieno

ZombieSupaStar said:
CoD3 multi is 1000 times more fun to me than GoW and I own both,

opinions go figure! :D
That's so
hbkavataryl6.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
COD3 is a great game, really stressed my PC back when it was released in '02. Think it was called allied assault back then

ChrisD84

COD3's MP is fantastic, the SP is nowhere near as good as COD2's is, but the game is worth the purchase just for the MP.

XSamu

Banned
Klaxon said:

It's the same crap as in COD2. The same gameplay (still unrealistic as ****), the same animations, the same stupid "story".

I hate these scence where the enemies appear from just nothing or your soldier-mates run in front of your line of fire *ding* restart the whole **** because friendly fire is verboten.

When I start my 360, load the last check-point, why do I have to watch the boring sequences every godamn time? I wanna skip this!!

I'm so glad I didn't buy this and spend my money on Gears of War instead. GOW was and still is 1000 times more fun than this.

PS: The graphics in COD3 are nice and I like these "Push this or that button for hand to hand combat or setting up an explosive"-sequences.

Well your just not a fan of the series, what did you expect? They'd make a completely different game in a successful series? Get real.

Xrenity

CoD2 was boring as hell imo, on PC.

Running around like an ass shooting everything that moves. For an X amount of hours.

Sean

Banned
Have you tried multiplayer at all?

I agree with the single player not being too great, but the multiplayer is fantastic IMO. The mp portion is the reason for the good reviews. At least give that a try (player matches, not the shitty ranked matches which limit things like player count).

Xrenity

Sean said:
Have you tried multiplayer at all?
I did, it was fun, but only for a few days.

I don't know, I just don't really bother with Multiplayer anymore, in general.
Unless it's on the couch.

Dazzyman

Bought, played, cried, traded

Different team and it shows, not a patch on COD2 (which I still own) and full of the worst bugs Ive seen on 360 game in single or multi. As for GOW co-op eats it alive for multiplayer

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
It's the same crap as in COD2

*blink*

*blink*
*blink*
*blink*

COD2...

was crap?

i mean, it's not GOTY , but ... crap???

i need to fix my games rating antenna....

i'm actually just flicking through a few games, was just about to try COD3...

... i might just set fire to it instead then pish all over the burning box.

Sjoerd

I enjoyed COD3. Single player might be the same game we've all played many times before but I didn't really care. It was fun enough. COD2 was the same for me.

The multiplayer is what makes this game worth your money though. Great fun.

pr0cs

Klaxon said:
I like these "Push this or that button for hand to hand combat or setting up an explosive"-sequences.

I was OKAY with your "opinion" with CoD3 until you mentioned that. The stupid explosive or enemy wrestling shit absolutely ruins the game. They should just had that crap in the Wii version where it belongs.

CoD3 is a great game, not as good as CoD2 from a story point of view (could they have picked a more obscure set of scenarios..ala falais gap), the multiplayer is a lot more fun however.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
Klaxon said:
Seriously how could the 360-version get 8.8/10 points from IGN?

I agree

I have the Ps3 version and i find it very boring.

On-line is better but in single player Resistance is much better.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The CoD games seem to work great for some people, while others simply don't 'get' them. As for me, I would probably place myself in the latter group. The thing is, I don't mind linear or scripted games at all.
But going as far as the CoD games along that route is like walking over a minefield. One small step at the wrong spot and boom. The game falls together like a cheap facade, and it becomes obvious just how scripted it really is, how you're forced to act in a certain way at some spots in order to continue, how it becomes obvious you have to reach a certain point to stop the enemies (and at the same, your allies) from respawning etc etc.
And that's a big blow to its immersiveness and what they're trying to achieve IMO (because the gameplay by itself isn't really that exciting in singleplayer). And for me, since CoD2 keeps reminding me that it's just game, I end up not really caring about the war or my comrades. I'll admit it works sometimes though, but a good number of times it just feels like an average shooter with nice graphics.

I dunno about the 360 version as I have the PS3 version, but:

Multiplayer = helluva lot of fun just like CoD2

Singleplayer = comletely asstastic and not worthy to even be referenced with CoD2, which was an intense fun game.

ManaByte

Xrenity said:
CoD2 was boring as hell imo, on PC.

Running around like an ass shooting everything that moves. For an X amount of hours.

But...they're Nazis. Killing them never stops being fun.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Not sure where the CoD2 hate is coming from. Both CoD and CoD 2 were really fun and immersive games IMO. Haven't played the latest in the series. Tired of WWII themed FPSs.

DCharlie

please report back how you feel after playing the jeep level.

just done it...

still feel the same - seems like more of the same as COD2, looks great, nice frame rate... it won't win any GoTYs but so far i'd not call it crap.

DCharlie said:
just done it...

still feel the same - seems like more of the same as COD2, looks great, nice frame rate... it won't win any GoTYs but so far i'd not call it crap.

Well I am glad you like it then. That level just seemed so cheesy to me...really ruined my experience with it. I dunno what I was looking for from CoD3 after having enjoyed CoD3 so much.

Again...

For single player COD2>COD3

For multiplayer COD3>>COD2

New maps should be out tomorrow for multiplayer.

If the campaign had been Co-op it would have made it a better game. The developers stated that it will be included in the next COD game.

eshwaaz

Personally, I would have been okay with "more of them same", but the problem with CoD3 (single player) isn't that it's just like CoD2, it's that it's inferior to CoD2. The graphics are better, but the level design is a noticable step backwards. The Treyarch-developed CoD Big Red One has the exact same same problems; there just isn't a refined, natural flow to the levels. Treyarch is just not as skilled at creating enjoyable, cohesive gameplay as Infinity Ward.

I have to agree. I bought Call of Duty 3, because I was a huge fan of COD2, but it was just a complete let-down. It didn't feel like the same game. TreyArch took out a lot of the features that were unique to the series, and made it into a very generic FPS. To me, COD3 was a step in the completely wrong direction.

Zaptruder

Banned
Worst game on Wii, next to Red Steel and Marvel Alliance...

Of course I've only tried Zelda, Wii Sports/Play and Raymans in addition to those three...

I'm pretty sure I'll only be buying party games and games that don't rely on speed or gimmicky interaction from now on (Fire Emblem, RPGs, etc). Will try out some that seem to gel with the use of the wiimote though... like Trauma Center... although honestly not sure if that's a good idea considering the DS version nearly sent me into a catatonic fit of rage playing it.

Zaptruder said:
I'm pretty sure I'll only be buying party games and games that don't rely on speed or gimmicky interaction from now on (Fire Emblem, RPGs, etc). Will try out some that seem to gel with the use of the wiimote though... like Trauma Center... although honestly not sure if that's a good idea considering the DS version nearly sent me into a catatonic fit of rage playing it.

Trauma Center is much more easier on the Wii, you should try it! :lol

agent069

Banned
I don't like WW2 FPS, but I kinda like the Wii version, the controls are pretty tight and the game is pretty fun. I don't know if I like COD3 or if I like FPS on Wii, but I really like the feeling of the game. And for friendly fire, do yourself a favor and play on hard mode.

I think the game does a decent job in mixing different gameplay/level design, there's always something new going on (tank, stupid fights, some interesting situations, jeep, etc...), plus the game is really short (7-8 hours), so I didn't have the time to get bored. It's not worst the 50€ I spend, but who cares, I'll sell it as soon as I'm finished with it anyway. I wish we could rent games in Europe :(

DCharlie

well, i think some of you are being harsh. i get the feeling some people on the board have a 'hate boner' for TreyArch too ;)

for me - at close of play due to heavy eyes, game seems okay so far - seems about on a par with COD2 to me, looks fantastic, stupid accents galore which is always a bonus, french people, and a white guy who sounds like he's voiced by a black man.

Oh and the sound is awesome (or at least seems to be to me!) - if you ignore the voices.

"yar handeee with that gun there laddy..."

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

So why did you play through them all? I mean, if you're going to make such a general statement, it must mean you've played every COD game, right?

DCharlie said:
well, i think some of you are being harsh. i get the feeling some people on the board have a 'hate boner' for TreyArch too ;)
That's the problem, it's hard to get good impressions because people here have been shitting on this from well before release even though Treyarch did a good job with Big Red One. It also doesn't help that people have a "love boner" for Infinity Ward even though CoD2 was worse than CoD1.

Xamdou

Single player wise COD2 beats COD3.

Online multiplayer wise COD3 tops COD2 in every way. COD3 has 24 players, class system, better graphics, vehicles, when the host leaves the game selects another gamer to be host so the room drop drop, made the sniper a bit harder to use in COD3 since the sniper in COD2 was overpowered.

snack said:
I have to agree. I bought Call of Duty 3, because I was a huge fan of COD2, but it was just a complete let-down. It didn't feel like the same game. TreyArch took out a lot of the features that were unique to the series, and made it into a very generic FPS. To me, COD3 was a step in the completely wrong direction.

You read my mind. COD3 was a disaster. And was it me or was the AI worse in COD3? How do you go backwards on something like that?

XSamu

Banned
The COD3 single-player wasn't that great, but like S8 RoXoRz says, the multi-player is much better then the one of COD2. Only complaint is that the environments of the maps aren't that.. varied.

Klocker

I'm addicted to the online play.

Fun, fast and furious.

great lobby system IMO, joining a game in progress, auto start next game (no lame lobby convos about people's personal lives for 10 minutes while waiting for some numbskull to start). Also, auto team balance which works when turned on.

Balanced weapons (except for the M1) great vehicular play.... my favorite online game by far.

Alex

I loved it, in both single and multi. Especially the multi, but I found the single to be a ton better than COD2's, go figure.

Skipped COD2, currently loving COD3.

Amount of details and effects are astonishing. Highlight so far would be the tank level.

3 levels to go then its Multiplayer time.

Alex

Yeah, the tank level was a lot better than the one in COD2. The entire Euro campaign was just total garbage for my tastes in COD2 the desert levels were just... ugh.....

Rhindle

What I liked about COD3:

1. Retarded unkillable NPC companions taking 500 hits a minute.

2. Some of the achievements are kind of fun to go for.

I did like what you can play of COD3. As soon as all the bugs came crawling out I stopped and am not patiently awaiting a major update. Never played a console game that was so unfinished in all my life.

TemplaerDude said:
i have no idea why that series is so popular, the gameplay is dry and unrealistic.

:lol

The unrealistic is what cracks me up. These guys don't do their homework, talk to vets, and have military advisors for nothing.

Top Bottom