• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That graffiti-like "S" symbol everyone (?) drew in grade school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Obviously perpetuated by the Illuminati and it stands for Satan.

akira28

I thought Stussy was world wide. I never saw this back in the 80s but I've probably seen it in the 90s as regular vandal-graff.

It's interesting how internet mythologies are created, and I wish they would stop.

It sort of looks like a moebius.

There once was a woman with 69 boobs.

And she thought that was 2, 2, 2 many.

So she went to 51st street.

Where she met Dr. X.

The surgery took 8 hours to complete.

When she left the hospital she was:

boobless3lj.jpg

Everyone thought they were so clever when they pulled that shit.

I was trying to remember this shit for the longest time. Thank you.

ffdgh

Oh haven't seen that thing in years. It's was amazing how everyone drew it but didn't know where it came from in the late 90s/early 2000s for me XD.

20 btw

Lucario

Some serious deja vu here. Shit.

I think the threads about this I've seen have magically inserted memories of drawing it into my brain. Damn power of suggestion.

antipod

Haha I used to do those all the time. Even bent paper clips to make them.

Never knew it was a common thing. Scary... :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, my friends and I were talking about this last week. No one knows what it means, but everyone has seen it.

we should look for a star system that matches this pattern and send a ship there.
Haha, that's an amazing idea.

It took me forever to learn how to draw that 3D cube thing too. Then my sister showed me the "draw two offset squares and connect the corners" method.

My life has never been the same.

saunderez

Stussy was widespread even in Australia. I graduated in 2001 and went to a school with less than 1000 students in a regional area for reference.

Diamond

Let me blow your mind even more.

This was a huge thing in the early 90's here in Sweden too.

Bizziare. Definetly drew that in school.

never knew it was widespread. im in New Zealand btw.

Stussy was widespread even in Australia. I graduated in 2001 and went to a school with less than 1000 students in a regional area for reference.

As I wrote in the other thread, it was common in France too before internet was big. Funny to see so many people drew it without knowing exactly where it came from.

EDIT : from the other thread

Wow, that S thing is worldwide. I can't believe it. Serbia, btw.

Yup, here in the Netherlands as well.

Yeah done this on all my text books. But as everyone did too it was just normal. Until now I've never wondered why.

You've also got the guy with the big nose looking over the wall, and a guy showing his ass with trousers round his ankles (I think it's also a lightbulb?).

Don't ask.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
anyone remember the easy way to draw a 3d cube?

two squares a few cm diagonally apart on top of each other. connect the squares.

voila 3d wire frame cube.. woah i am blowing my teenage mind!!

maybe the S symbol represents a way of kids being able to simply create something. "complex/stylish" with ease.

its like a template you can customise. the creativity is not in the fact you can make the S. but rather how you make it your own.

you gotta admit the first time you saw it, or figured how to make it yourself.. you felt like an artistic and creative boss.

any version of this where a western font is not used?

is there a similar thing in chinese? or arabic?

FOOTE

Yup.. I remember drawing that thing years and years ago.

Edit- First saw it in France, then was surprised to see it again in USA.

Edit 2- I was thinking about this little symbol just the other day. Kinda just popped into my mind for a minute or two. Weird to see someone start a thread about the symbol just a day or two later...

Juice

This thread creeps me out. I think I've seen it before but unlike everyone here I was too busy being awesome to be doodling shit. Seems like something only the skater kids would have done.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Have grade school notebooks with this symbol drawn in it (Sweden) from the early '90s. Everyone in school was doodling it at one point or another, pre-dates my generation into the early '80s at least.

Ronok

When I was in primary school (London) we used to draw this all the time as well. Everyone called it the Superman logo, so that's how it gained popularity through my group of friends. Obviously I couldn't say how it actually originated, but I will say that just now when I searched for the actual superman S I was left pretty confused. In my mind it was never like that. =P

Blearth

Banned
There once was a woman with 69 boobs.

And she thought that was 2, 2, 2 many.

So she went to 51st street.

Where she met Dr. X.

And he 8 them all.

When she left the hospital she was:

boobless3lj.jpg

Everyone thought they were so clever when they pulled that shit.

Fixed

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Skateboarder explanation doesn't fly. Didn't know of anyone with a skateboard but everyone knew this symbol. Image searching for Stussy doesn't bring up anything relevant either.

Perplexing...

spock

I to drew this in elementry school. I'm 35...Pretty sure I got it frfom an album cover or something related to rock/metal from 70's.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I drew that for sure. I'm 33. Just showed it to my two co workers, both are around my age, they both drew it in school. We all went to different schools in the US Virgin Islands. Wow.

Cipherr

I remember this in grade school definitely. In the mid late 80's.

It was. I was born in '71, and we were drawing that "S" in grade school.

Wow. Thats really strange. What the hell is the origin? Maybe its just a random thing, but it seems so odd for it to be so common worldwide without being linked to something specific, and without something like the internet.

I remember our classes in grade school having pen pals with other schools where we would write them like 12 times a year. I'm pretty sure I found out about that S from my pen pal who drew it and wrote directions on how to draw one. Then I of course showed friends, lol.

WarMacheen

Drew it in the 80's

No fucking clue why other than I saw someone else do it.

It's like I was...compelled...to draw it

Fucking thing has haunted me to this day.

Chuckie

Uh, Stussy most certainly did exist outside of America.

True, but only started in 88 in Europe. I learnt it existed in the beginning of the nineties.

And even then I never associated it with that weird S. The Stussy clothing I saw always had that tag/signature like logo. I've never seen the S on Stussy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom