• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That Time The Last Of Us Part 2 Was Compared To Schindler's List (The Jimquisition)

Bullet Club

Banned

The Last of Us 2 is finally out, and while I won't say Naughty Dog's murder party is one of the most overrated games of all time, I will declare that its achievements have been... overstated. A lot.

Among absurd comparisons to movies and overall contentious discourse, we have the game's very own director using a situation to try and show up a journalist who only recently exposed Naughty Dog's poor treatment of its staff.

So let's talk about that time The Last of Us Part II was compared to Schindler's List, and the absurdly bad faith fallout that certain industry leaders tried to stir up.

Terce

So are we going to post every youtube creator video when it comes out now? Can I ask for a megathread where new youtube videos are posted and discussed? There are a few in particular where a thread is created minutes after every single video they put out.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Banned
Can I ask for a megathread where new youtube videos are posted and discussed?
We sort of have one of those but I'm the only one that uses it.

Besides Digital Foundry, most of the other Youtubers aren't getting posted that much. Just the occasional videos that might be of interest to people.

Aion002

Some users right now:

"I want to pile on TLU2.... But it is Jim Sterling...."

ScrawnyDeepBee-small.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Why the F does he dress like that? WTF?
It is funny bc he complains about over reactions yet he makes his videos to be like super overproduced fascist propaganda. Like wow dude u sure are combating all the outrage with this video where you stand at a pedestal holding a riding crop ranting for 20 mins like a parody of the hated Gamers that journalists like you have made a career leeching off of.

Someone tell me if he is hating the original Schindlers list comment or not? Is he on the side of those attacking it? Not gonna watch the video until I find out.

I’m on the side of, anyone can reference any work of art, it’s not like things are sacred anymore, that comment was entirely valid and it’s sad that industry writers had a problem with something pretty standard in critical analysis in all disciplines. It is as if critical thought is discouraged. The bad faith take from Jason was pure culture war gaslighting bullshit which does far more harm to The Holy Discourse than a million “toxic fan reviews”.

Last edited:

nowhat

Sometime tell me if he is hating the original Schindlers list comment or not? Is he on the side of those attacking it? Not gonna watch the video until I find out.
To paraphrase "the writing in TLOU 2 is "fine" for AAA standards, but it would be laughed out of the theaters". He's not a fan of the comparison, and is quite critical of ND in the video.

(but it's kind of sad that you're basically saying "I refuse to listen to an argument unless I know I agree with it")

Vawn

Banned
Remember when TLOU2's review score was compared against some of the highest rated games of all time?

Remember when its sales were compared to the best selling exclusives of the generation?

Remember when Jim Sterling was hated by everyone here? Enemy of my enemy.

Remember when TLOU2's runaway success caused the Internet to explode and become incredibly triggered?

This has been a freaking blast watching all these meltdowns.

People have been desperate to see PlayStation to stumble for so long. They really thought this was their moment and they just threw another 95+ Metacritic game right in their faces. It has been an absolute delicious meltdown.

Woggleman

I love the game but comparing to Schindler's List is absurd. Compare it more to Mad Max or Terminator. Those movies do get bobble head dolls.

nowhat

Remember when Jim Sterling was hated by everyone here? Enemy of my enemy.
The thing is, if you watch the video - he's not hating on the game, really. Just being critical of the comparison (and also of ND's working practices as usual, and tweets by various people).

But sure enough, this will be cannon fodder for some. Even though they may miss the point entirely and probably haven't seen the video at all.

Vawn

Banned
The thing is, if you watch the video - he's not hating on the game, really. Just being critical of the comparison (and also of ND's working practices as usual, and tweets by various people).

But sure enough, this will be cannon fodder for some. Even though they may miss the point entirely and probably haven't seen the video at all.

Yeah, I didn't watch the video. I've never seen a Jim Sterling video that wasn't him bitching, so I assumed it must have hated it.

nowhat

Yeah, I didn't watch the video. I've never seen a Jim Sterling video that wasn't him bitching, so I assumed it must have hated it.
Nah, just saying that there likely will be a honeymoon period in appreciating the game (it won't be as highly praised as time goes on). Which, I think, is a fair assessment, that can happen.

But of course he bitches, it's his thing. Still, it's mostly about the inane comparisons.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
People have been desperate to see PlayStation to stumble for so long. They really thought this was their moment and they just threw another 95+ Metacritic game right in their faces. It has been an absolute delicious meltdown.

You are really becoming a broken record with this line. It's getting tiresome seeing you repeat it constantly like some pathetic fanboy who thinks he's "won" something somehow.

Who are you talking about? Seriously, who? Is it all the people on GAF who love Last of Us 2 & PlayStation in general? Is it all the people on social media who love Last of Us 2 & PlayStation in general? Is it all the critics or fans who love Last of Us 2 & PlayStation in general?

Who are these people you keep banging on about?

Mister Wolf

Good video. Don't ever compare videogames to movies. Games are entertainment products while movies don't have to fit that criteria.

Woggleman

Games can have great stories and games that immerse you in their world are better for it but comparing a video game to Schindler's List is just taking it too far. We are talking about a fictional story versus one based on real life.

yewles1

His QD comparison is ridiculous, Cages games are NO WHERE NEAR as praised by critics for he to make such parallelization.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Good video. Don't ever compare videogames to movies. Games are entertainment products while movies don't have to fit that criteria.

Games can have great stories and games that immerse you in their world are better for it but comparing a video game to Schindler's List is just taking it too far. We are talking about a fictional story versus one based on real life.

I see where you guys are coming from but not sure I agree. At the end of the day Schindler's List is actors pretending to be other people inside of sets pretending to be auschwitz. It was a money-making endeavor that people watch with popcorn, candy, & soda like any other movie. Same goes for 12 Years A Slave, United 93, and of course Saving Private Ryan which practically created an entire subgenre of videogames. Movies are very much entertainment products.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Was kinda inevitable that Sterling would interject himself into this to cash-in on all that sweet controversy.

Not going to give him the click on principle, and yes, in full knowledge that he's Patreon funded. Its still bottom-feeding.

I do encourage understanding the nature of the controversy by searching out the news story or watching the video (in spite of my reluctance promoting Sterling).

The reviewer in question was stating the sense of dread he felt playing TLOU2 was similar to the sensation he experienced watching Schindler's List (and made no suggestion that one or the other was better or worse in any way). That is the beginning and ending of his statement and Twitter took it to the furthest extreme and scoffed at the very notion you would dare compare the works as though one is sacrosanct (granted, the film is top grade). On that point reasonable minds may differ, but it strains credulity to think an artistic interpretation housed in film based on a true story (but not biographical) is somehow ineligible to be compared against a work of fiction housed in a computer-based depiction that shares many similar elements, particularly with respect to its content. Perhaps it does underscore the broader societal attitude that games - due to their interactivity and dependence on player input, as well as traditionally being viewed as juvenile and mindless - are not valid pieces of art for higher intellectual conversation.

EDIT: For full context, I am quite certain this is the exact quote from the review that sent the internet into a dust-up (please correct me if I'm wrong):

"When I finished the first game, I thought about a quote from Steven Spielberg’s film, Schindler’s List, about the German man who saved Jews during the Holocaust. It says, “Whoever saves one life saves the world entire.” That quote came to mind as I finished the game. Joel saved a life, and he said the world be damned."

Review by VentureBeat

Last edited:

Aight

The whole Discussion about critics comparing Games to Movies is pointless. I dont see where this could lead.

TriSuit666

Banned
You made me watch a Sterling video - is this his schtick now? Making the whole thing appear ad-libbed? And has he drank the normie flavor-aid? He seems to come across as less far-left than usual.

But damn you for posting this cack, but damn me more for watching it.

Fucking Schindler's List. I ask you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom