• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The '1080p, 60 FPS' Buzz Words.

Suairyu

Banned
Just a note to the sceptics.

1080p/60FPS absolutely fits that criteria.
As the quotation you helpfully provided for the sceptics points out, they have to be fashionable to be considered buzzwords. You can count the amount of 1080p/60fps games released on consoles this gen on two hands, and nearly all of them are from early in the gen.

Also, psychology has nothing to do with it: increased resolution and framerate are objective improvements to game playing and give a clear advantage in terms of ease-of-playing.

Gintamen

They should have exploded in popularity 6 years ago.
Rather did than should. How are words that were important to the industry a couple of years back "buzz words"? Ah, they are not.

What quality have my HD movies since I bought an HDTV? 1080p. How many frames per second do I want in my games, especially shooters, since forever? 60.

i-Lo

the only buzzword that matters to me is "fun".

Yes, let us all regress to 8 bit now. It can still be run on 1080p sets at 60Hz. Pong is still fun.

Anyway, as long as 30fps is deemed acceptable and the lower limit for HD remains 720p, in a console world they would still be the norm to develop by in order to extract maximum fidelity per pixel.

Playing at the native resolution of my display makes a significant difference and I will always want the fastest framerate possible considering the refresh rate of my monitor. These are things I've appreciated for quite some time.

Alex

Resolution standards and framerates are buzz words.. "I play VIDEO GAMES for FUN" nitwit crowd.

All at once... I think my brain is going to fucking collapse into itself.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
god this thread needs to be shut down now.

Go play Sonic Generations on the consoles then play it on the PC. If you can't tell the difference then you probably have a medical condition.

Conor 419

Banned
As the quotation you helpfully provided for the sceptics points out, they have to be fashionable to be considered buzzwords. You can count the amount of 1080p/60fps games released on consoles this gen on two hands, and nearly all of them are from early in the gen.

Also, psychology has nothing to do with it: increased resolution and framerate are objective improvements to game playing and give a clear advantage in terms of ease-of-playing.

With resolution, that's a fair statement. However I'm not really convinced I can tell the difference between 60 FPS/30 FPS. If it's something I cannot physically detect, then yes psychology would come into it.

If I have got the definition of buzzword wrong, then I think it's fair that I should concede the thread. I didn't intend to cause outrage amongst PC gamers over this. But I have noticed that the 60 FPS and 1080p checkboxes are a very recent phenonmenon despite how long they've been typically available on PC.

I do not buy that these terms were used as much as they were in say, the N64 era as they are now.

Resolution standards and framerates are buzz words.. "I play VIDEO GAMES for FUN" nitwit crowd.

Jesus christ, I will state yet again that I felt they fit the definition of buzzwords. A definition I have provided in this thread.

Derrick01

Banned
They are extremely important. I just gave up expecting console games to ever achieve those numbers outside of a few exceptions. That's why I have a powerful PC.

These features do not hinder my game experience if they're not met.

Those exact numbers might not... but we've all played games that were hindered by frame rate issues.

For certain genres, like racing and fighting games, 60fps is a pretty significant factor.

Gintamen

With resolution, that's a fair statement. However I'm not really convinced I can tell the difference between 60 FPS/30 FPS. If it's something I cannot physically detect, then yes psychology would come into it.
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

fps are objective, how could you think otherwise. It decides the fluidness of the medium, be it a game or a movie. Peter Jackson uses even up to 120fps to make it look more reaslistic.

abasm

If only the industry actually tossed about "1080p" and "60 fps" as back-of-the-box-worthy quips. The world would be a better place.

Jtrizzy

Once you go 1080p60, everything else pales in comparison. I'd give anything to play some of the PS3/360 exclusives on my PC, as well as Madden. I'm also a huge believer in playing at the native resolution of your display.

One topic that I really wish would be addressed are 120hz 3D tv's. My biggest annoyance with 3dtv pc gaming is that it's at 720p. If I were a console only gamer (which I was until about 10 months ago) I'd find a 720p set and just wait. I'm wondering if next gen consoles will be able to output at 120hz, otherwise TV makers don't have much incentive to add dual link dvi or hdmi 1.5.

If I have got the definition of buzzword wrong, then I think it's fair that I should concede the thread. I didn't intend to cause outrage amongst PC gamers over this. But I have noticed that the 60 FPS and 1080p checkboxes are a very recent phenonmenon despite how long they've been typically available on PC.

I do not buy that these terms were used as much as they were in say, the N64 era as they are now.

Jesus christ, I will state yet again that I felt they fit the definition of buzzwords. A definition I have provided in this thread.

Well, of course they are recently coming to light because a vast majority of gamers (console) have not experienced them before. In fact PC gamers didn't start really experiencing until less than 10 years ago (I honestly can't remember the first 1080p capable game I played so I'm just throwing out 10 or so years).

It's a very recent technological advancement that is now possible on the consoles (recent in the grand scheme of things) and developers are now able to implement either one (rarely both) into console gaming and they are touting that feature set that was before only available to a certain medium, the PC.

Amir0x

Banned
Two terms which seem to have exploded in the last year or so. Are these features really that important or do you feel they hold more psychological weight than anything else?

Do they matter to you?

those terms have exploded for, like, I dunno... ever? They're not buzzwords and yes they're hugely important cornerstones for gaming

diffusionx

Gold Member
The phrase "buzzword" refers to meaningless, empty phrases that people use when they are trying to bullshit.

1080p and 60fps both have clear, tangible meanings that can be measured.

I guess what you are asking is, do they improve the game experience? Yes.

like really even if you think these are buzzwords, are these really the most prevalent and damaging buzzwords? these are objective standards.

Conor 419

Banned
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

fps are objective, how could you think otherwise. It decides the fluidness of the medium, be it a game or a movie.

Yes, I am not denying their objectivity. I have continually stated that I do not deny their objectivity, I am have just considered whether I can actually notice the difference or whether it's a psychological thing, that I feel better playing games that I know are at 60fps.

I mean, are their any studies out there that claim whether people can tell the difference?

-------

Also, lastly. I didn't think the definition of buzzword including something being misleading, I quite literally thought them (by the definition I stated) as terms that simply generate buzz. Which I strongly believe 60FPS/1080p does. This claim was questioning whether they rightfully do so.

Those aren't buzzwords. They're words like "HD" and "Retina". Jobs even called the iPhone an "internet communications device" but it obviously didn't catch on.

What about Emotion Engine? Reality Synthesizer?

NBtoaster

As I am one of them? I can't help but notice that I'm beginning to care about this certain frame rate and resolution now that I know what they are. However I'm trying to figure out if I can really notice the difference, or whether my brain is telling me something is better because I'm comforted in knowing it runs at these settings.

Anyone can see the differences. They have real benefits, not just to visuals but for gameplay too.

720p compared with 1080p
http://www.abload.de/img/7206rcl6.png
http://www.abload.de/img/1080pbfwj.png

1080p/60fps doesn't just happen because it's an attractive buzzword (though that is true sometimes), but because of real benefits to them.

Loofy

I see a lot of people throwing them about, when two weeks before they didn't know or care what they were.
I dont think youve been visiting game forums for very long if you think this is a recent thing. 60fps and native resolution have always been huge topics.

Conor 419

Banned
I dont think youve been visiting game forums for very long if you think this is a recent thing. 60fps and native resolution have always been huge topics.

So I'm getting conflicted messages here. People are saying 1080p/60fps are recent things, others are saying it's a recent thing...

Which is it?

(I can assure you I've been posting on gaming boards for at least 10 years)

I really don't need a study to tell me if I can see the difference between 30 and 60 fps or between 720p and 1080p. I can see the difference very clearly with my own eyes. It is not some placebo effect that people are being fooled by. It is quite obvious.

def sim

Hearing people who claim there is no discernible difference between 30/60 is so odd. It's like the early 00's all over again.

KarmaCow

I can see the argument for 1080p being a word to replace 'HD' as a back of the box checklist since I couldn't care less if a game actually supports 1080p, what matters is that it supports my monitor's native resolution. Darksiders on the PC doesn't support 1366x768 which means I would have to play it at 1280x720 and have it stretch on my laptop. The same applies to 60fps I guess but pretty much every monitor and tv is 60 or 120hz.

Can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps? Everyone has different standards with these things. The difference is more noticeable for some than others. Can you tell the difference between 20fps and 30fps?

Also, you'd be right that no one was talking about "1080P" back in the N64 days. No one meausred resolution in "P's" back then, in fact resolutions higher than 1080P were common back then.

Gintamen

Which is it?
60fps were "always" there, 1080p came up with the HD era, e.g. HDTVs and the new "old" consoles 360/PS3.

You've been on gaming boards for 10 years and still don't know about this? Oo Might something to do with, that you have to actually see/play the medium to judge and realize what this is about.

NBtoaster

Yes, I am not denying their objectivity. I have continually stated that I do not deny their objectivity, I am have just considered whether I can actually notice the difference or whether it's a psychological thing, that I feel better playing games that I know are at 60fps.

Can you describe the differences you see? Do they match with what other people describe? if so then you do actually notice the difference.

Conor 419

Banned
60fps were "always" there, 1080p came up with the HD era, e.g. HDTVs and the new "old" consoles 360/PS3.

Yes, I do know that. However from the first post I have stated that I'm clearly talking about how marketable these features are, something which I believe has exploded in the last few years.

Can you describe the differences you see? Do they match with what other people describe? if so then you do actually notice the difference.

CoD4 certainly feels more fluid than most games to me, but I'm not sure whether that's just the nature of the controls or the frame rate.

Fredescu

So I'm getting conflicted messages here. People are saying 1080p/60fps are recent things, others are saying it's a recent thing...

Which is it?
1080p is relatively new, but 60fps is old as the hills. Fighting games and racing games in particular. F Zero on the N64 being 60fps was a big deal because they had to sacrifice a lot of detail for it and it showed.

Top Bottom