• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duckworth is cool calm and collected in these situations. I like his demeanor....but does anyone feel like he has quite a large chest for a tennis player? He's not fat, but he's not the fittest looking guy either.

I think Monfils is about to retire. he tweaked his ankle during a point and with his game relying mostly on his speed and consistency I doubt he'll continue on.

I can't believe Benjamin Becker is still around (he's currently playing DelPo). I only remember him as the guy who dismissed Andre Agassi in his final match.

edit: and holy crap Monfils is still making a genuine effort. He's up a break in the 4th!

Deadman

Robson vs kvitova is an impressive display of bad serving. I think it's 4 double faults for Robson and 9 for kvitova.

So why do fans have to be quiet in tennis? :S

Partly because it's a holdover from the past when tennis was a "gentleman's sport" so spectators adhered to a certain etiquette, but more because you can (at a professional level at least) get a good sense of the pace, spin and strength that a ball was hit by listening to its sound.

This is why many players complain of the moaning and grunting of players like Sharapova and Nadal - the noise they make right when they strike the ball makes their hits harder to read.

Partly because it's a holdover from the past when tennis was a "gentleman's sport" so spectators adhered to a certain etiquette, but more because you can (at a professional level at least) get a good sense of the pace, spin and strength that a ball was hit by listening to its sound.

This is why many players complain of the moaning and grunting of players like Sharapova and Nadal - the noise they make right when they strike the ball makes their hits harder to read.

I never knew that... Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom