• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 22 Unwritten Rules of TV Spoilers You're Probably Breaking

Raptomex

Yeah. Everyone is different. And I get that some things rely on suspense more than others. But still it's always just a bit surprising to me just how much emphasis people put into not wanting to know plot points in advance. And I say that as someone who isn't even really a student of the craft. I'm not someone who watches a movie and can eloquently explain what the themes of the film were or what I liked/didn't like about the cinematography. My ability to articulate what I like/don't like about films/television barely gets deeper than the surface level -- the kind of thing that might net me an A in a 100 level college course on the subject matter. But still, I feel like just knowing the plot is hardly the same as actually seeing it (or reading it). And I feel like even in suspenseful works being spoiled in advance can sometimes just lead to a sense of foreshadowing that can aid you in different ways in terms of enjoying the work despite being robbed of that first-viewing suspense.

Mind you, I'm not the arbiter of the proper way to enjoy things. People should absolutely do their own thing and if you don't like spoilers I'll try to avoid spoiling things for you.
I agree. Making spoilers the equivalent to the end of the world is ridiculous. I watch things to be entertained and if I get the depth, cool. If not, oh well. I'm also the type to watch things repeatedly if I enjoy it so maybe that's why I don't mind spoilers. I normally don't discuss shows and movies in depth with people, anyway, so I usually keep everything to myself.

I mean it. I knew how Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and Sons of Anarchy ended way before I finished them because I looked it up. I just wanted to know. I know how the X-Files ends and I'm only up to season 5. But I won't ever spoil a show for others unless they give me the green light when discussing it.

This list is silly. Just don't be a dick and spoil shit. It shouldn't even be a rule. Just common sense.

Yeah, actually I know how those three shows end even though I have no intention of ever watching them. And it's all because of posts on NeoGAF. You unutterable beasts.

I also recall hearing about the whole Hydra insurgency in Agents of Shield, a Marvel spinoff I have no intention of ever watching. So I was not completely flabbergasted by the plot twists of Winter Soldier (though Nick Fury did manage to, er, _blindside_ me in that one key scene). Also any film that has Jenny Agutter ostensibly kneeing Robert Redford's character in the balls is going to be fun.

People are just dicks thats all. And dicks ironically tend to dislike being seen as dicks; so I assume that verbal diarrhea about "people shouldn't care about spoilers" is just a weak defense mechanism.

The people who are the dicks are the ones who get mad that the rest of the world won't agree to be silent about something because they haven't watched it yet. I mean, we have people in this thread saying people shouldn't talk about a massively popular show like GoT among their friends in public because some random person on the periphery might overhear and be spoiled. That is literal insanity.

I mean, we have people in this thread saying people shouldn't talk about a massively popular show like GoT among their friends in public because some random person on the periphery might overhear and be spoiled. That is literal insanity.

While I don't think that's "dickish", I do think you've encapsulated the unreasonable demands made in the name of artificially contrived ignorance.

GonzoCR

Do people seriously care about spoilers that much? I try not to spoil myself before watching or reading something but if I get spoiled it's no big deal, shit happens. Most of my favorite shows and books I've read while having a rough outline of major events because someone told me or something.

Some shows though I would never want to spoil for some. Mostly the Wire. Some moments in that show should be watched without knowing it hurts more.

Maybe somebody should have kindly "spoiled" that show for me. I remember noticing that people kept raving about how great it was, so I watched the first episode. Unable to find any immediately gripping writing or action, I wandered off. Now if somebody had said "
just wait until you get to the bit where they realise that Lieutenant Starkey secretly has an extra head
" or whatever, I might have watched the show.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
There is only one rule, the pre conversation question chain.

Ask, have you seen / played / read X? If response is Yes then ask, did you finish it / are you caught up? If Yes proceed without concern for spoilers. If no then refrain from talking about spoilers or ask, how far did you get? and proceed from there.

Mortemis

Banned
I don't get why friends or others come to me to discuss a show I'm ahead of them in and actually care about spoilers. I know more than you, any reaction I give can be a spoiler and if you care about that shit don't talk to me about the show.

Top Bottom