• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) JP |OT| Hot Chick + Guns + Shower Scene = mmmmm

kiryogi

Banned
Still super on the fence about this. Spent so much this season :lol Argh... is PE1/2 on domestic PSN as well or only JP?

duckroll

kiryogi said:
Still super on the fence about this. Spent so much this season :lol Argh... is PE1/2 on domestic PSN as well or only JP?

No one is forcing you to buy crappy overpriced Bandai Namco products! :lol

PE1/2 is on JP and Asia PSNs only at the moment.

Minsc

Gold Member
Rhazer Fusion said:
Yep. I would most likely get one if it didn't cost almost as much as a X360 Slim or a used PS3 Slim. That's ridiculous for what you are getting. Not to mention I think portable games are overpriced unless you are buying them used.

Disgaea 2 is still $30+ used in questionable condition on the PSP (so even then you can ring up quite a bill)... I have it for the PS2, but am going to double-dip most likely.

The device is expensive, but you're getting a quality library of titles imo, worth the price for me (far more RPGs on the PSP than the 360 or PS3 that I'd want).

duckroll

Minsc said:
Disgaea 2 is still $30+ used in questionable condition on the PSP (so even then you can ring up quite a bill)... I have it for the PS2, but am going to double-dip most likely.

The device is expensive, but you're getting a quality library of titles imo, worth the price for me (far more RPGs on the PSP than the 360 or PS3 that I'd want).

There's a 50% off Xmas sale for selected items on the Asian PSN stores at the moment. The following are prices for NISA's catalog (all English titles):

Disgaea 1: S$7.99 (6 USD)
Disgaea 2: S$11.49 (8.70 USD)
Disgaea Infinite: S$11.19 (8.50 USD)
Prinny: S$7.99 (6 USD)

I don't know how cheap it gets on US PSN, but I know they do sales on that too. So it's definitely not 30 bucks for Disgaea 2 on PSP, as long as you're really interested in getting it for the lowest price.

kiryogi

Banned
duckroll said:
No one is forcing you to buy crappy overpriced Bandai Namco products! :lol

PE1/2 is on JP and Asia PSNs only at the moment.

Actually it's more like GT5 and Kinect stuff... And well yes there is Graces F somewhere in there. But it's been pricey! and I thought as much on PE, but maybe I missed an announcement or something. Boo.

duckroll

New preview: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201012/18037059.html

hzhpl.jpg
WUSCP.jpg

2sSHn.jpg
BfFfn.jpg

KHh8Z.jpg

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
FlashbladeGAF said:
hzhpl.jpg

Cosplay=Modern day armor
laugh.gif

How nice of them to point out that this isn't an actual maid's work outfit, but only a pleasure/amusement model. Just so none of you rich fellahs get any ideas.

duckroll

AndriaSang said:
Is that blue slip outfit new? Or is it the result of one of her other clothes disintegrating?

It's new. It should be the China Dress mentioned in the Jump preview writeup. There isn't actually a Jump scan yet, so this is probably our first official look at it.

ptown

Okay, I saw some more videos and I think I'm just going to go ahead and get this.

I'm new to PSP (and importing stuff), but what is the difference between Asian and Japanese versions? IIRC, the Asian version of FF XIII for PS3 had Japanese language and English text/subtitles. Does anyone know if that is similar with PSP games?

That'd be a nice feature to have since I barely know any Japanese.

duckroll

ptown said:
Okay, I saw some more videos and I think I'm just going to go ahead and get this.

I'm new to PSP (and importing stuff), but what is the difference between Asian and Japanese versions? IIRC, the Asian version of FF XIII for PS3 had Japanese language and text/subtitles. Does anyone know if that is similar with PSP games?

That'd be a nice feature to have since I barely know any Japanese.

When a Japanese game is released first in Japan, the Japanese and Asian versions are exactly the same. The only difference would be the price, and sometimes the Asian verison has a control scheme sheet inside in English and Chinese. Other than that, the game is generally the exact same disc as the Japanese game.

When FFXIII was released in Japan, the Japanese and Asian versions were identical. There was no English text or subs. The Asian version with Japanese voice and English text/subs was only released much later after the US release of the game.

Nekofrog

Banned
I really want to get into it... but this all seems so far removed from PE1 to get my very excited. PE2 was bad enough... this seems to be going even further away from what made PE1 so great to me.

Glad that others can get into it, though. At the very least, it should have an amazing soundtrack.

I know it isn't in the "proper" thread...but if any one is planning on importing this, I have a $7 off of 50 and
have a $12 off of a hundred for play Asia

my buddy is buying this for me so I don't need it...
I cannot freaking wait for this! my psp was bought for this game!:D
PE1 and PE2 are classics and I have been following this closely

pm me...

edit:

don't care...first come first served.

$7 off of $100
OB-OZQ-BFY

$12 off of $100
UI-EZE-OKW

duckroll said:
It's new. It should be the China Dress mentioned in the Jump preview writeup. There isn't actually a Jump scan yet, so this is probably our first official look at it.

The Jump scan shows the China Dress as black. But otherwise, it looks exactly the same.

duckroll

AndriaSang said:
The Jump scan shows the China Dress as black. But otherwise, it looks exactly the same.

The non-full color pages of Jump are red-toned. They cannot print full range colors like blue and green. So yeah, it ends up looking black, but that's because of cheap ass printing. :lol

noquarter

Really looking forward to this game. Loved the first PE and liked the second. If they ever come to PSN it will be a day one purchase for me (still have both of the originals, but playing them on a Go)

Hope y'all enjoy the Japanese version, waiting for the NA version. Maybe I'll watch the PE movie while I wait...

duckroll

Playing through PE2 now. The controls are really pretty awful. Whoever thought it was a great idea to downgrade from 3D movement to tank controls needs to be run over by a tank. On the plus side, it's actually getting more fun as I play. There's still a RPG aspect to the game, the lock-on makes it much easier to play than oldschool RE, and the abundance of ammo means no worries about blasting away.

I'm at Dryfield now, and as the shower scene draws near, my heart is getting more and more excited! :lol

What is pretty shocking is what a nosedive the UI took from PE to PE2. Everything in PE2 looks so amateur and ugly, especially compared to the much sleeker and more polished interface look of PE. Real pity here, especially with the subs. Not only are the subs auto-forward even though there's no voice, but all the subs have this terrible background color, and the font sucks. Eww. There are some interface improvements over the original though, for example now cutscenes and FMVs can be skipped entirely, YES! If you die and have to replay a sequence, this can make it MUCH less painful. Too bad there's still no continue function when you die.

lupinko

Play-asia is preparing my order. =O

Although if I just bought this off JPSN, it would be way faster than any shipping method.

But then again I'd rather have T3B in physical form, regardless if the rumoured PSP2 will ditch a UMD drive (sigh).

Pooya

^
yeah, she ruined ME2 for me :/ .http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/20/flying_get/
andriasang said:
No Custom Voices for International 3rd Birthday

The Japanese version of The 3rd Birthday lets players switch main character Aya Brea's voice to match her current costume. This is something that won't be in the English version of the game, Tetsuya Nomura reveals in a Dengeki interview this week.

Nomura also told the magazine that the game's shower scene will be difficult to unlock. He believes it would have been just as fine if it hadn't been in the game.

We could get more shooters from Nomura and crew. He told the magazine that if he were to make a shooter in the future, he'd like to make use of the experience learned from The 3rd Birthday

also
pic of the UMD
agpizwvizwuyc2vlchulegimwo.jpg

and main menu

duckroll

Making solid progress with PE2. Should be able to finish it tomorrow or Wednesday. Just in time for T3B. The battle system for PE2 actually works really well once the kinks are worked out and you understand how the system works. The lock-on system along with the spell ranges and primary/secondary fire methods of the weapons are actually very effective for tactical play too. The problems of not being able to see enemies on screen because of the stupid pre-rendered angles is a bit of an issue, but not so much once you equip a GPS attachment so you get the minimap.

I really don't think that they should have gone with RE controls with PE2, which was the game's biggest mistake, but otherwise, the battle system isn't really all that different from PE1, other than a removal of command based shooting, and the ATB. The logic and design behind the weapons and actual combat are pretty similar (spells have specific range patterns they fire in, weapons have general overall range, you can score critical attacks by attack enemies as they attack or when they get hit from the back, weapons have different fire modes which are balanced between damage and ammo use, etc).

Almost at the end of disc1 now. OMG the shower scene is coming! COMING! OMGGGGG! :lol

duckroll said:
Making solid progress with PE2. Should be able to finish it tomorrow or Wednesday. Just in time for T3B. The battle system for PE2 actually works really well once the kinks are worked out and you understand how the system works. The lock-on system along with the spell ranges and primary/secondary fire methods of the weapons are actually very effective for tactical play too. The problems of not being able to see enemies on screen because of the stupid pre-rendered angles is a bit of an issue, but not so much once you equip a GPS attachment so you get the minimap.

I really don't think that they should have gone with RE controls with PE2, which was the game's biggest mistake, but otherwise, the battle system isn't really all that different from PE1, other than a removal of command based shooting, and the ATB. The logic and design behind the weapons and actual combat are pretty similar (spells have specific range patterns they fire in, weapons have general overall range, you can score critical attacks by attack enemies as they attack or when they get hit from the back, weapons have different fire modes which are balanced between damage and ammo use, etc).

Almost at the end of disc1 now. OMG the shower scene is coming! COMING! OMGGGGG! :lol

I dind't have much problems with the fact that the game had tank controls, but they were kind of floaty, which made harder to evade enemy attacks, but for me PE2 is much better than the first, the more cinematic feel and the real time combat system really adds a lot to the game.

Also I remember having a lot of problems with the last boss, also those invisible humanoids were a bitch to fight in the last areas. :lol

Harder levels were as hard as fun to play, the game mechanics really shine in those levels IMO. (well the same can be say about the control problems X-D)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sweet Mother of God, no loading times what so ever! Loving it! + best looking graphics on PSP?

edit: okay wtf was up with that?
Aya being able to take over/switch other peoples bodies?

Paracelsus

It looks like a high budget PS2 game, it's incredible. It's a shame it's not getting an uber limited while TO is getting artbook and whatnot. >.<.

EDIT: Omg, cg massive tentacle rape. o_O

duckroll

There are several things he's doing really wrong here:

- You have to concentrate continuous fire on the enemy to trigger Overdive Kill chances. When the lifebar flashes orange it means it's close to triggering. Instead he stops locking on, or stops firing.

- The reinforcement soldier at lights control area has a grenade launcher is he's in a very safe place, but he didn't want to use that weapon.

Also, that's not a turret gun, it's a stage light. :p

Edit: Stage light, camera, whatever. Low-poly PSP environment prop! :lol

Top Bottom