• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 40 Year Old Virgin watch- Rotten Tomatoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
So far this is at like 86%, naturally cuz it's so early in the week still. However, the reviews written for it so far are quite interesting. Richard Roeper said it's one of this summers biggest, most pleasant surprises. Another guy wrote that it was funnier than Wedding Crashers, and surprisingly more vulgar. Wouldn't expect this to be more vulgar, but who knows.

I'm definitely going to see this. I think Steve Carrell rules, and it's cool to watch a guys career advance from small tv role to big tv role, to small movie role, then bigger movie role, then movie star.

FoneBone

I don't know... some of the reviews have me interested, but I haven't seen a mainstream studio comedy since Austin Powers 3, and I hated that. So I'm a bit skeptical...

Duality

Steve Carell is hilarious and from all indications, this movie will be too. He carried Leno during his interview, was great on the Daily Show, and will be excellent on Conan this Thursday.

On another note, Conan is on Larry King Live hosted by Bob Costas tonight.

olimario

Banned
Mmmmm...this is good. :lol
I can't wait to see it. I thought he stole the show in anchorman and rivaled Jim in Bruce Almighty.

hobart

Carell's stock is rising. I was banking on this being as funny if not funnier than Wedding Crashers. Why? Look at the premise! Have you seen the Billboards for it?! Just... genius.

Here's hoping it's as good as it seems (for me).

(Isn't it Rated R?! This is what we need! More R Comedies!)

Socreges

Banned
Duality said:
He carried Leno during his interview, was great on the Daily Show
Yeah, I saw both. He really did carry Leno, as much as Leno tried to ruin it with his cheese.

This movie will not fail.

I saw the movie on Thursday (sneak preview), and it was alright. The supporting cast had some nice chemistry. It was a nice movie, worth seeing for free. I think it's probably more of a rental, but it's still good.

Apple Jax said:
Have you seen the Billboards for it?! Just... genius.

The poster IS awesome. He's got the dorkiest look on his face and there's this white glowing halo behind him. In a recent Newsweek article Carell said it freaks him out cuz he sees the poster everywhere he drives in L.A.!

Duality

Fatalah said:
whats the date of that leno appearance?
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO
2987 - STEVE CARELL, GRETA VAN SUSTEREN, GAVIN DeGRAW
08-11-2005 11:34PM

Couldn't find a video, sorry.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The interview on the Daily Show was the funniest minute of silence I have ever seen on television.

"I don't file reports anymore, I make MOVIES."

:lol :lol :lol

Socreges

Banned
BorkBork said:
The interview on the Daily Show was the funniest minute of silence I have ever seen on television.

"I don't file reports anymore, I make MOVIES."

:lol :lol :lol
I really enjoyed that interview.

"I've noticed that as soon as I stopped appearing regularly here, the show took off."

"Yeah, you were a real albatross."

:lol

IAmtheFMan said:
This is directed by Judd "Freaks and Geeks" Apatow right?

I think I saw Seth Rogen in the preview too...
Yes and yes. I don't think Seth Rogen would get any work if it wasn't for Apatow. :) He's great, tho.

Apatow and Carell also co-wrote it.

LM4sure

Banned
Saw the movie last night. Wasn't too funny, but enjoyable nonetheless. Damn, Steve Carell has a HUGE nose. Really shows in this movie.

bud

Got this from the imdb movie page, might be spoilerish so don't look!

The scene where Andy has his chest hair removed, required five cameras set up for the shot. Star Steve Carell's chest hair was actually ripped out in the scene. The actor had told director Judd Apatow just before shooting the scene: "It has to be real. It won't be as funny if it's mocked up or if it's special effect. You have to see that this is really happening."

:lol

Can't wait to see this.

I knew I had to see it when I saw a scene from the movie in Entertainment Weekly where Carrell is reading a Wario World strategy guide. That type of pathetic, realistic touch just tells you the movie will be good.

Plus, its directed by Apatow, so of course it will rule.

One of the only negative reviews,

"The 40-Year-Old Virgin is too long, too sexist, and too -- shall we say -- flaccid."

too sexist? bias?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
After the daily show interview and seeing that this is 90% at rotten tomatoes, I really can't wait to see this movie.

I saw this movie on Tuesday at a pre-screening. FUNNIEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!!!!! This movie was way better than Wedding Crashers. Wedding Crashers evoked a few chuckles and a few laughs. 40 Year Old Virgin had me laughing loudly against my seat. This movie is truly adult too and really works its R rating. The characters NEVER hold back. If they are going to say something they say it. The lines are believable and not cheesy at all. If you want to laugh and aren't a prude then this movie will make you piss yourself. Best comedy I have seen in a long time.

BigGreenMat said:
Wedding Crashers evoked a few chuckles and a few laughs.
I can't take your review seriously if you didn't think Wedding Crashers was that good.

But still, anyone saying this movie even compares to WC makes me want to see this movie.

PuertoRicanJuice said:
I can't take your review seriously if you didn't think Wedding Crashers was that good.

But still, anyone saying this movie even compares to WC makes me want to see this movie.

Crashers had its moments, but I am just emphasizing that this movie was just that much funnier. I think it is because of the contrast. Vaughn and Wilson were playing 'funny' characters so you expected funny things to come out of them. Carrell and the others are sort of playing joe schmoes and so you never really know what to expect. There a few parts where you see the comedy coming, but a lot of it surprises you.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I haven't seen Wedding Crashers yet, but seriously, saw 40 Year Old Virgin last night and COULD NOT STOP LAUGHING. It's really that good. Steve Carell is the fuckin' man, and the rest of the cast is almost as equally hilarious.

eXxy said:
I haven't seen Wedding Crashers yet, but seriously, saw 40 Year Old Virgin last night and COULD NOT STOP LAUGHING. It's really that good. Steve Carell is the fuckin' man, and the rest of the cast is almost as equally hilarious.
Wow, from the trailers, I really did not expect much. The idea is great, and I love Carell, so I wanted to like the trailer, but I didn't. Shit, looks like it's up to me to convince my friends. If it sucks, and my friends never let me hear the end of it, I blame GAF.

maharg

idspispopd
Smiles and Cries said:
The question is I'm dating a virgin would she find it funny?

You're just hoping the idea of being 40 and a virgin will scare her into having sex with you.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I just saw the episode of Conan where Steve careel was the guest and there was a short clip of the film and it looked quite good. Im quite exited for the film to be released over here, its sounding great:D

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Seriously, the trailers are shit for this movie. It uses the R rating, and it uses it WELL. Don't go by the trailers; I was initially disappointed by them, too.

I thought the movie was all right. It wasn't nearly as funny as I had anticipated, and a lot of the movie dragged, but I still found some of it really funny. I thought the movie was just a bit too long and could have used more editing. Andy alone was a very funny character, but I didn't really like any of his coworkers.

It's all right, guys. I still enjoyed the movie. Don't cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom