• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90's Arcade Racer Kickstarter (from the maker of Sonic Fan Remix)

RayStorm

The crazy thing is, in the tradition of SEGA Arcade Racers there doesn't even have to be much of an AI. There only need to be prerecorded spots for the rolling obstacles to be in each lap.

DonMigs85

The crazy thing is, in the tradition of SEGA Arcade Racers there doesn't even have to be much of an AI. There only need to be prerecorded spots for the rolling obstacles to be in each lap.

Yup, that and they had relatively simple physics unless we include Sega Rally in the discussion.
I wonder if they got rid of the guy who worked on the Tokyo Drift game.

AmyS

searched but didn't see this posted.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts/1074358

Update #18

Hello everyone,

since our last update I'm happy to say that we've made quite a bit of progress, we now have a new AI solution that can handle up to 40 AI cars per race. It still needs a bit of work mainly on how they interact with the player but we are slowly getting there.

For now I would like to give you a bit of insight on how we created one of the environments, the Airport track. Our goal from that start has been creating a fine balance between realism and fantasy so we started by grounding the tracks in reality, the first thing we did was to visit Athens International Airport and take several photos to use both as reference and in game textures. We took as many pictures as we could form small details to panoramic pictures to help with the track layout.

zMZHJKK.jpg

Wl2XFMr.jpg

a2gdocj.jpg

Delaying the game due to code issues has been frustrating but also allowed us to implement features that we didn't plan to include such as car damage, it's a considerable amount of work and it's purely cosmetic but it adds another layer of polish. Here are two examples:

LReWwzD.jpg

OiyUYNa.jpg

Finally I created a new female character to replace the original as I was never really happy with it, here is a quick summary of the process.

I started by creating a basic female shape and a low poly mesh for the clothes:

H256j1M.jpg

I used the low poly mesh as a base to sculpt a high detail model and baked the detail back in to the low poly model:

2pOxQUy.jpg

Here it is with textures and added details such as hair, eyelashes, earrings and the final tweaked proportions:

quZlUXh.jpg

The model was then rigged, animated and had shaders applied, this is the final in game character:

ykXJzvC.jpg

Thank you!

Antonis

I think maybe this game has a chance of actually getting released.

AmyS

Yea, it'll probably release after 8 years of development, and then be swiftly taken down by Sega due to the appearance of VR Temjin.

As long as it gets released and I have the chance for an hour or so to download it before Sega has it taken down, it's all good.

cacildo

Yeah.... this game is taking forever.

I remember months ago on a friday night a got in this (or another) thread asking for a release date

Top Bottom