• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90's Arcade Racer Kickstarter (from the maker of Sonic Fan Remix)

The guy from Niceles is a former real life race car driver, as well as a developer who worked on the drifting physics for several titles including Need for Speed Tokyo Drift. I'd say he's qualified to work on an arcade racer featuring drifting :)
Need For Speed Tokyo Drift

Ok then....

Shaneus

That was fantastic.
I know, right? Look up his other videos, where he plays the HD/XBLA/PS3 versions (god damn, I WANT THAT ON PC) with karaoke mode on AND SINGS ALONG WITH THE GAME (it's so awesome), as well as him performing the song on piano with bongo accompaniment.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I had no idea Model 3 emulation was so good at this point. Daytona 2 looks incredible. Perfect 60 fps (even at 2880x1620) and full 16:9 support. It also really demonstrates how on the nose these guys are with the color scheme and visual design of this new racer!

7Dw.png

Man, I had no idea Model 3 emulation was so good at this point. Daytona 2 looks incredible. Perfect 60 fps (even at 2880x1620) and full 16:9 support. It also really demonstrates how on the nose these guys are with the color scheme and visual design of this new racer!

7Dw.png

1998 dammit, looks incredible!

It looks great. I just wish they'd change the name, it'll always seem niche otherwise.

This could be the start of a new franchise.

What about the PC one? I just wanna buy it already :/

They explain a bit generally about the game too:

On the programming side these past few weeks our main programmer has been busy working on the AI and creating the type of competition we've discussed in the past--focusing on a fun arcade experience. Our goal is to be able to race against 30 cars in each race. If we hit that number we'll be quite happy.

Many of you have emailed us asking for a release date, unfortunately it's hard to give you a solid date but mid 2014 is our goal for now.

disap.ed

Already more than a week old, but I haven't found anything about this here.

They did an update on Kickstarter:

'90s Arcade Racer and Nailing Every Part of the Game

We've have been quite for a while on the '90s Arcade Racer front and there are a few (good) reasons why.

First, the game has taken on a life of itself and we really want to get it just right. Yes, there are a number of racing games coming, but none have really taken on the idea of reviving an era that we both love and find the most appealing in the genre. To be more specific, we've found that as we continue to polish the game, its visual style, a physics model we're happy with, everything else needs to be powered-up so to speak.

We know we have something special with '90s and we want it all to be special, every. single. part. of. the. game! With that said, we've secretly been trying to get some of the best talent for basically every aspect of development, even if it means we need more time .

One of the aspects of the game we really haven't spoken much about, but have put a lot of time and effort into getting just right is audio. Neither of us are audio experts so to speak, but we have found one!

The engine work and accompanying game sound effects are going to be handled by Stafford Bawler. That name probably means nothing to you, but it should! He's working on everything from Dirt, GRiD and Forza to Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. He's that good. We're already working with him to create some really amazing, authentic and very dynamic sounds that you'll hear in the finished product.

You can follow Stafford on Twitter: @StaffordBawler

The other area we haven't talked much about is music. We've received so many requests to enlist Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (famous for Daytona USA). But, unfortunately for us, he's still employed by SEGA. However, we do know a number of really amazing musicians who have taken on the cause of '90s Arcade Racer.

We're taking a different approach to '90s Arcade Racer and treating the soundtrack like a compilation of great music from great musicians. Each artist will be giving his or her take on what they feel the '90s sounded like and we'll announce each them as we progress through the final development of the game and near release. By the way, if you can convince Takenobu to do a track for '90s Arcade Racer, we're all for it!

We'll be announcing the first musician in the next couple of weeks with a tiny sample of his track.

As a reminder for anyone who hasn't followed our updates recently, our plans for '90s Arcade Racer were to launch on PC (via Steam) and Wii U and follow-up with mobile. However, given the prevalence of Unity 3D on PlayStation 4, PS Vita and Xbox One, you can be sure we're trying to find a way to get the game on those platforms as well. However, we'd like to get the game out for backers on PC and players on Wii U first--you've been patiently waiting and we do want to give you the ride of your life.

Thanks for everything!

-tyrone

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts/836578

As a reminder for anyone who hasn't followed our updates recently, our plans for '90s Arcade Racer were to launch on PC (via Steam) and Wii U and follow-up with mobile. However, given the prevalence of Unity 3D on PlayStation 4, PS Vita and Xbox One

Sweet, hope it doesn't take too long to bring it over.

Taker666

What's the betting the Wii U version gets delayed due to the Xbox parity clause.

Hopefully they don't give in and just release it on Wii U a.s.a.p with Sony/other versions later.....and if Microsoft won't allow it then Xbox One misses out and it.

What's the betting the Wii U version gets delayed due to the Xbox parity clause.

Hopefully they don't give in and just release it on Wii U a.s.a.p with Sony/other versions later.....and if Microsoft won't allow it then Xbox One misses out and it.

I hate this clause.
The fact that Sony sells more nowadays and is perceived more indy friendly could put an end to this. I hope so.

Corpekata

Banned
Have we seen a kickstarter delay a game to meet Xbox parity yet? I would not expect them to delay the Wii U and PC versions for it. Would be a ton of bad press, and MS doesn't have the popularity for that sort of leverage anymore, especially when it's only a vague maybe at this point.

it is possible to use the Logitec wheel to play on these emulators and old SEGA racers?

SOMEONE TEACH ME HOW PLEASE! This makes buyiing the Logitec wheel even more worth it.

Yep. With Force Feedback AND gated shifter support. All you need is to open the input config window (read the emulator readme file or get a GUI) and do some button/pedal assigning.

For force feedback, you'll need to search for some extra files and add them to the ROM .zip files (again, emulator readme file and Google should help you with this).

tebunker

Banned

This only relates to ID@Xbox , so I don't see how this would affect anything with the WiiU. Also I believe there is some kind of clause that is an end around on the parity clause if you are platform exclusive for a period, which technically, on consoles they will be.

All I get from Tyrone's post is that they have done all the work in Unity, and in the time since the KS campaign ended and the new system coming out, Unity support for those has become more prevalent. So why not port it after they release the backed versions?

Platy

Biggest problem with Sony and Microsoft platforms is that when you have a Unity license you praticaly already have a WiiU license.

Getting the dev kits for those are kinda problematic in a $ense

AmyS

latest update: May 24, 2014

Hello everyone,

for this update I would like to address some concerns and share a few more screenshots from some of the game's new cars and tracks.

I have received several emails asking about the game's release date and why we haven't shown any gameplay videos yet. There is nobody that wants the game released more than we do and we are working hard to make it happen.There are still some areas that need work and I've kept postponing any gameplay videos until we are happy with what we are showing. I understand that the people that helped fund this project want to be more involved in the development process but I feel that releasing unpolished or rough material can do more harm than good. It's a fine line and I apologize if some people feel left out.

Also we'll make sure that everyone who doesn't use Steam will be able to receive his copy.

QQWwD2l.png

o8a8Gs4.png

cJjDAil.png

wEOVWIX.png

All the new screenshots here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts/854520

Even if they can't fully sign Mitsuyoshi on board for the soundtrack, he ought to at least record a special arrangement or do the vocals for the attract theme. His sound is the key special sauce needed to bring out that mid-to-late '90s arcade-racer attitude.

AmyS

This game and MK8 are the main reasons I will end up get a Wii U this year, with or without a price drop.

DonMigs85

Man this game is taking forever. It sounds like they lost their original programmer and are redoing the AI from scratch.

They made an official statement about it. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts/992614

Edit: I guess you probably mean if the programmer specifically left by himself. In which case, I don't know. I get the impression they let him go from the way the update is worded.

This game was to my knowledge being done entirely by Antonis (Pelikan13) himself, at least originally. "Letting the programmer go" would presumably mean the entire project would be hosed.

Reading that update myself it sounds like Antonis realized he wasn't doing a very good job with CPU A.I. and hired somebody to help him out on that feature.

Top Bottom