• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90's Arcade Racer Kickstarter (from the maker of Sonic Fan Remix)

I'm literally touching myself at the idea of this. Three of the best coin-op racers EVER (two of which NEVER had a console/PC port) mixed into one pure arcade racer, so...

SHUT UP AND TAKE OUR MONEY!

ultrazilla

Looks phenomenal!

That said I could see Sega going after this with cease and desist.

My first inclination upon seeing this footage is that it's Sega's Daytona and
that's what Sega could/will probably argue.

Katzii

Honestly I find there's more in common with Virtua Racing on 32X, which let you pick between a F1 racer, Stock car, or a Sports car.

2lIUz1M.png
m3IqTRm.png
UvQ8JZQ.png

Never played Scud Race, though, so maybe that also has the three vehicle types.

The 32X version let you choose different cars?

That's mindblowing to me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

All the home ports did. Saturn had 5 cars I think, the PS2 remake had that many. Oh, I think the Mega Drive version didn't have additional cars after all. The PS2 remake looks really nice, only the draw distance kind of lets it down. And I guess the lack of music and sound effects etc, they were a little too faithful with it, but the flat shaded polygons look great.

mclem

I don't know much about kickstarter, but this type of game (pure arcade racer) is something I've been wanting for awhile. Does the money you contribute to kickstarter get deducted from the price of the game when it's released?

Look at the right-hand side of the Kickstarter page; see the tiers?

Donate to the level of that tier and you'll get the reward for that tier. In this case, the £10 tier gets you the game (originally £15, now reduced)

Doing my usual practice here: I'm not yet quite convinced, but I'm keeping an eye on it. More news could easily sway me.

Alexios

I just noticed the £750 tier basically lets you design an unlockable car for the game. I hope someone gets this (there's only one) just to have an extra car, as long as he doesn't make a stupid design. Maybe a Sega Rally or even Sega Touring Car Championship style car. Maybe he could add another tier for like £1000 for a new track as well, to at least have the same number of cars and tracks. But I guess another track is way too much work, which is why he plans so few to begin with.

I really hope the game does well enough to warrant some additional support, if he eventually updated it with actual multiplayer, a few more cars and tracks, a championship mode even if he doesn't reach the stretch goal, various options like endurance racing for tons of laps with damage and pit stops, etc, like STCC, that would be amazing. Maybe also allow people to make their own levels, even if he doesn't make a user friendly editor by himself there are probably gonna be some SEGA fans that know how to work with Unity and will make cool track homages for others to download and time trial in, with the best fan tracks getting to be on the online leader boards as well, etc. But I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, let's hope this makes it at all!

Alexios

I commented on the project asking him to do a 60fps video for a future update, that should look so amazing if he does it.

32x had 2 new cars and 2 new tracks added, so 3 cars and 5 tracks total.

Saturn version was like an evolution of the game, some ways it was better and some ways it was worse.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I sent him a PM, figured he would have started the thread. :|

Yeah I got the PM, thanks for the heads up as always my dude :)

Anyway I am tempted to post a "shutupandtakemymoney.gif", but there are several key elements that need to fall into place before jumping all over this game's nuts....

Multiplayer is absolutely ESSENTIAL in order for this to have longevity. This isn't like back in the day where I used to be able to sit and play Daytona or Outrun 2 in single player mode for hours on end. I have since been spoiled by the delights of online multiplayer and I simply cannot play racing games offline for more than a few minutes at a time before getting bored out of my skull.

Secondly, as stated above, the graphics do look AMAZING and I am simply floored by what this guy has been able to do visually with the game. But we all know these games were all about the car handling and physics. If this guy can't get the powerslidey handling of the cars from either Daytona or Scud Race down pat, then it'll be missing THE core ingredient that made Sega's arcade racers entertaining and fun.

Bottomline...if he can get the handling just right and put in support for online multiplayer with around 12 to 16 cars, then this will be THE arcade racer us Sega heads have been waiting for, and I will die and go to heaven! Until then I remain only *cautiously* optimistic.

Nonetheless I'm pledging a few bucks :)

Didn't this guy spend years making the sonic remake and only managed to complete green hill zone before he cancelled the game after a bunch of drama? Why should I give him my money thinking this will be different? Apologies if I have the wrong guy.

Alexios

Didn't this guy spend years making the sonic remake and only managed to complete green hill zone before he cancelled the game after a bunch of drama? Why should I give him my money thinking this will be different? Apologies if I have the wrong guy.
I didn't see any drama, but maybe I wasn't looking for it, while you seem to be eager for it, saying that before even making sure. One of the reasons that project was halted was that he started working on this, it's not like he was in any way obligated to put 100s of hours of work for no return and make it a priority on top. Of course, nobody says you or anyone else should give him anything, that's a personal decision, but there's no reason to try and justify it with mean spirited remarks like that.

Alexios

Those flags and such look so good in this game, screw realistic cloth physics.

So, are there any already (and readily, don't suggest some Sega Rally port from the 90s unless it's on gog) available racing games of this sort for PC, to check out until this thing is done? Keeping in mind the likes of NFS and Burnout aren't of this sort.

Sciz

You're thinking of a different project. SFR didn't get very far, but it was just the work of a couple guys over a few months. S2HD was the one that blew up.

So, are there any already (and readily, don't suggest some Sega Rally port from the 90s unless it's on gog) available racing games of this sort for PC, to check out until this thing is done? Keeping in mind the likes of NFS and Burnout aren't of this sort.

Well, there's OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast (not available on Steam, it seems), Ridge Racer Unbounded (a bit too Burnout-ish?) and Race Driver GRID.

Odrion

Banned
What else has this guy put out? His only track record being a game that's been vaguely put on hold or canceled isn't very promising.

That was the guys who made Sonic 2 HD; tabled it because the guy they had pegged as lead dev fucked around for months and was using custom code and got mad whenever anyone else touched it or something

That was the guys who made Sonic 2 HD; tabled it because the guy they had pegged as lead dev fucked around for months and was using custom code and got mad whenever anyone else touched it or something

This is mostly correct.

Sonic 2 HD = Sonic the Hedgehog 2 redrawn with 2D art in 1080p. Their coder was paranoid and delusional and refused to let anyone touch or see his code; he added a bunch of pointless security features to try and prevent people from "hacking" the game because he egotistically thought he could make the game unhackable. Held the project ransom after he started modifying art and level design and the rest of the team didn't like his changes. They released a demo, everything came out, the team announced they were fed up with his shit and disbanded.

Sonic Fan Remix = 2.5D Sonic the Hedgehog fangame. Regarded as "what Sonic 4 Episode 1 should have been". Pace on the project slowed after releasing the first 3-act demo, until it eventually just stopped and Pelikan announced he was moving on. An unfinished build of the second level is floating around out there somewhere. He quit Sonic Fan Remix to work on this 90's Arcade Racer game.

mclem

If you're fine with GoG, I'd have to recommend the Screamer titles. Pure arcade racing; Screamer 1 being closer to Ridge Racer, Screamer 2 more like Sega Rally.

mclem

Can't help you with wheels, I'm afraid, but I believe the titles on GoG are ones that come with dosbox wrappers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, in regards to a physical copy, how do you determine where it is sent?

Since I'm leaving the country in a month or so we will change our address. If I input all of that information now it will not be valid when the game is released.

How does this work with Kickstarter?

Alexios

So, in regards to a physical copy, how do you determine where it is sent?

Since I'm leaving the country in a month or so we will change our address. If I input all of that information now it will not be valid when the game is released.

How does this work with Kickstarter?
I think you're asked to confirm your information at some point, iirc Wasteland 2 did. Maybe you can enter the address of a friend near where you're going to move? Well, you can probably contact the developer and sort it out when the time comes. It's not like the process is automatic or anything, he'll probably make a small amount of boxed copies for backers and ship them.

What is more interesting is that this guy and whoever he is working with has managed to visually best a game that was at one time the absolute in cutting edge graphics anywhere on the planet and developed by some of the industries' most brillant people.

And people say video game budgets are going to keep climbing.

I can't say that I'm a super huge racing game fan.

But those bright colors are nice. And as others have stated, the blue skies.

Alexios

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...c_racers_could_be_speeding_to_the_wii_u_eshop

They want to do a Wii U eShop version, and their goal is surprisingly small, hope they make enough to do it on Wii U.
Well, wants and all, elsewhere he mentioned wanting to do a Vita version as well since he likes that system too and he is apparently keeping the graphics somewhat low end to that end (it was weird to see people on that forum suggest you need to have released an AAA game to be considered for the eShop when others suggested things like that though, lol @ what some people spew when they hate companies). But none of that is a stretch goal or anything, let's focus on the real PC version!

What is more interesting is that this guy and whoever he is working with has managed to visually best a game that was at one time the absolute in cutting edge graphics anywhere on the planet and developed by some of the industries' most brillant people. And people say video game budgets are going to keep climbing.
Just himself for now, as far as I understand it, unless he reaches the stretch goal where he can hire another dedicated programmer. This has nothing to do with industry budgets, some people are just that dedicated. Much like the various amateur films, animated, CG, or live, often damn good, don't mean The Hobbit or whatever is next for Pixar should be cheap to make.

wrowa

Just looking at the screenshots makes me feel happy. Why cant more games be so colorful and bright these days? That blue sky man, that blue sky.

Top Bottom