• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90's Arcade Racer Kickstarter (from the maker of Sonic Fan Remix)

I'm not digging it, just like I was one of the few Sonic fans that didn't get crazy when the Sonic 2 remix video was first released. There's something about how close to the source material these games are that it just rubs me the wrong way. Not a fan of the color palette either, looks purplish.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm not digging it, just like I was one of the few Sonic fans that didn't get crazy when the Sonic 2 remix video was first released. There's something about how close to the source material these games are that it just rubs me the wrong way. Not a fan of the color palette either, looks purplish.
What was the problem with Sonic Fan Remix being close to the source material? That was kind of its point. I dunno if the full and meant to be free fan game was meant to be a full remake but they did throw in a new act alongside the remade parts in the demo they released. I half-agree about this game but it's easy to get past it just to finally get some goodness of this sort. I mean, Scud Race never got a home port, the same goes for Daytona USA 2, Daytona USA's recent (and first good?) port didn't get a PC version, etc. Besides, it's not like he's copying the courses etc. It's all new content. I disagree about the visuals but hey, opinions. The guy's art has certainly improved a lot since the Sonic Fan Remix, that's for sure. It's still got that trademark contrast but it's neat, it has character and doesn't make things hard to see like it did for some people in the Sonic Fan Remix.

I'm not digging it, just like I was one of the few Sonic fans that didn't get crazy when the Sonic 2 remix video was first released.

I didn't like that demo due to how busy it was. It was hard to see Sonic against all of the shit going on in the background like scenery, weather effects, Eggman flying around, etc. It was just too much. It seems that Sega learned from it when Generations came out, since that had sprawling backgrounds too but made sure not to make them too distracting via lighting and less "busyness" and such

Alexios

52% funded and I noticed in the comments he says this about performance:
[...] the game was designed to be as light as possible without sacrificing graphics, right now at its most busy the game will push around 100-120k triangles and 500-700 draw calls per frame. For comparison a 360/PS3 game can push several millions triangles and a few thousand draw calls.
And of course that it will support controls remapping compatible with all sorts of controllers.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I backed it for 15 euros, so I'll get my name in the credits and the soundtrack.

This is going to be the first Kickstarter project I throw money at. I hope it gets funded.

Suairyu

Banned
I see they're still using their "throw as much shit in the background as possible to make it super-busy and distracting with alternating elements of over-blue saturation and de-saturation that blurs at high speeds" artstyle.

No sale.

VVV Mars VG

Looks great!

Contacted the chap in relation to running a video feature on it and getting a bit more exposure on TeamVVV , will run something when I hear back.

Alexios

71%! And some guys bought the £750 tiers which means we're getting two unlockable cars. I thought there was just the one but I guess he added another. Hopefully they won't be shit custom designs. The same for the billboards people have bought. The dude should have added a disclaimer to not be adverts for a product, not be inappropriate, not be shit, and fit the game's tone.

Hopefully those who bought them have these intentions.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I can't wait to see how Sega reacts to this. I bet they'll be kicking themselves for not doing a "Racers Megamix HD" game for PC of their own. Only thing they can do now to save face is announce OutRun 3 :)

RayStorm

I can't wait to see how Sega reacts to this. I bet they'll be kicking themselves for not doing a "Racers Megamix HD" game for PC of their own. Only thing they can do now to save face is announce OutRun 3 :)

I think that's not enough for them to save face! They also have to finally port Daytona 2!

Shion

The color palette is pure 90s SEGA, it's perfect.

This is great, I'm in.

I'd love to see it on 3DS or Wii U.
Latest update all but confirms this is heading to Wii U. Result!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts/394697

Since the project went live there have been some very exciting developments that I can't talk about yet but the game could be heading for the TV. I hope U Wiil stay tuned for more news. In the meantime I've added a couple more screenshots on the main page :)

Suairyu

Banned
The color palette is pure 90s SEGA, it's perfect.
I feel like I'm going crazy here. It's not 90s SEGA at all. It has the weird under/over-saturation look from Sonic Fan Remix, and everything is too-busy. SEGA put readability first, the artwork serving to help you in terms of gameplay.

This just looks messy and confusing, like those dark and moody and "atmospheric" fan photoshops of the first batch of Diablo III screenshots.

Alexios

I don't think it's too busy, everything is clearly distinguishable to me in the video. I can see how that case can be made for Sonic Fan Remix (though I had few issues there too) but I don't see it for this game at all on any level. Either way, it's slick.

There are new screens on the main Kickstarter page too but the video is what's sold me, he needs to do a 60fps lap run.
2348dac6a2af02f717fdebb3b157a2e2_large.jpg

For comparison I'm often having trouble seeing the track on the latest grimdark NFS (the iOS version). No such issues here.

Suairyu

Banned
The colours all have a weird blue-shift to them. It doesn't help readability. Compare this to, say, SEGA Rally or Outrun 2, you'll see what I mean.

The colours all have a weird blue-shift to them. It doesn't help readability. Compare this to, say, SEGA Rally or Outrun 2, you'll see what I mean.

I think he's done a great job in making the game look like the old SEGA arcade racers while making it look slightly more modern. After all this isn't a remake, it's this guy's take on making a 90's arcade racer today.

Suairyu

Banned
If "slightly more modern" means having a single colour dominate the colour palette Gears-style and throwing so much stuff at the screen that it blends together in motion, sure.

Gameplay-wise, it looks sound, but this is very obviously an amateur effort with not much thought put into the aesthetic and how it might serve gameplay. As a mod, I'd forgive it, but as a paid product I'm surprised people are giving the maker such a free pass on it.

Alexios

Gameplay-wise, it looks sound, but this is very obviously an amateur effort with not much thought put into the aesthetic and how it might serve gameplay. As a mod, I'd forgive it, but as a paid product I'm surprised people are giving the maker such a free pass on it.
Yes, people are giving him a free pass, because they all must share your opinion and find it bad, never mind the people who have already posted they think it looks great, nope, that can't happen, opinions can't differ, he's just getting a free pass.

Jeez, try getting over yourself at some point. You said your opinion, others stated theirs, why not leave it at that instead of assume what people you don't know shit about are or aren't doing just to present your opinion as an objective fact?

I'm confident a lot of thought has gone into the visuals, whether you like them or agree with the direction is another matter. Even if it changes down the road that doesn't mean it was bad and people didn't like it before, even if they also like the change. Nor does it mean people only pledge on perfect products anyway, I'm sure you could see imperfections even if the color palette matched your tastes enough to not find it so offensive that other people who aren't you and like it enough to pledge on it.

Shion

I feel like I'm going crazy here. It's not 90s SEGA at all. It has the weird under/over-saturation look from Sonic Fan Remix, and everything is too-busy. SEGA put readability first, the artwork serving to help you in terms of gameplay.

This just looks messy and confusing, like those dark and moody and "atmospheric" fan photoshops of the first batch of Diablo III screenshots.
Well, it doesn't look exactly the same, but the second I saw the screenshots I said "holy shit, this is old school SEGA".

Sonic Fan Remix (although a great tech demo), was nothing like this. Both the art and the color palette felt weird and nothing like the 16bit Sonic games.

Honestly, I don't see how the situations are even remotely similar.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
anxiously awaiting an announcement on online multiplayer and force feedback wheel support.

I just contributed; my first Kickstarter!

The game looks great and I have my fingers crossed my 2012 13" MBA will be able to run it with all the bells and whistles.

xemumanic

Quote:

"The main challenge for this game is getting the car handling spot on. Although right now the game is fun to play it is not hitting the sweet spot between pick up and play and deep/challenging gameplay. This is also the only reason why I'm not releasing a demo that I spent quite some time polishing. My number one priority is getting this right."

This is the most uplifting thing I've heard yet. It's pretty clear now this guy understand what's most important.

Alexios

~90%! Definitely getting funded. But maybe not reaching the stretch goal if he keeps delaying an actual stuff update...

They need to make the HUD less simplistic, hell the font gets obscured by the bright colors making it hard to read, at least add black outlines to the letters making them always visible.

And make it HUDless by putting the HUD on the GamePad, that'd be great as well.

Also I'm kinda not fond of them calling it "90's Arcade Racer", needs something more like a title and not a description you know? It's the "90's" part that bugs me the most, regardless if that is what it's supposed to represent. Needs a catchier name, try thinking like how Sega of the 90's would name a new racer like this, just don't use a single license or SEGA (obviously) in the name.

Hopefully the guy creating this isn't just ripping models out of existing Sega racers like Daytona 2 and Scud Race. Because some of them look a little to close for comfort:

Scud Race:
file.php

From this game:
me2foRe.jpg

It's bizzare but its like you're blind, the rims look nothing alike. Nor does the car.

The new one has more detail

Top Bottom