• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man |OT| This is How you Shot Web

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Combat flows reaaaaaallllyyyy well. I think the people we've been watching play on YouTube are just awful. Linking in web grabs, finishers and counters is pretty damn good. Spiderman model looks fantastic. Still inside, yet to see the city.

Yeah... but you know that's not what we care about. Sure, nice combat mechanics are nice, but what about SWINGING? That's all we care about.

DrBo42

Have you played Web Of Shadows? How does it compare? Do the controls feel tight?
I don't think the moveset will be comparable in any way, this is very much batmans combat system with more acrobatic flair. Controls are pretty tight.
Just entered the city, swinging system isn't as bad as I thought. You can let go of the swing before he vaults up to reduce that insane altitude gain and keep powering down a street. Really good sense of speed at street level, combining that with web rush along buses and various objects is actually pretty fun.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't think the moveset will be comparable in any way, this is very much batmans combat system with more acrobatic flair. Controls are pretty tight.
Just entered the city, swinging system isn't as bad as I thought. You can let go of the swing before he vaults up to reduce that insane altitude gain and keep powering down a street. Really good sense of speed at street level, combining that with web rush along buses and various objects is actually pretty fun.

But... swinging... from... clouds...

Seriously, if the game had just had SM2's swinging mechanics (or something similar) I think I could have really loved it, because it doesn't look all that bad other than the cloud-swinging. But here we are, and they have decided to ruin a potentially great game through a shitty decision. Such a shame.

firen

Is there anymore variation in the swinging itself? Or is it a simple one button swing. Also, thanks for doing this!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not just you!

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't they take SM2's web swinging into the next generation? They're too lazy, that's why. Or if that's not the case, I just don't understand what's going on. Why would anyone think swinging from thin air would be a better solution (except to just make it easier, which is a shitty and horrible excuse)? No. Such a shame.

Combat flows reaaaaaallllyyyy well. I think the people we've been watching play on YouTube are just awful. Linking in web grabs, finishers and counters is pretty damn good. Spiderman model looks fantastic. Still inside, yet to see the city.

Interesting. How does it compare to the Arkham games? edit: nevermind answered

And from the little you've played so far does controlling Spider-man seem fun?

Can you turn off button prompts for counters and dodges and the like? Combat in Arkham Asylum/City felt like one big QTE with the counter "warnings" turned on.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't they take SM2's web swinging into the next generation? They're too lazy, that's why. Or if that's not the case, I just don't understand what's going on. Why would anyone think swinging from thin air would be a better solution (except to just make it easier, which is a shitty and horrible excuse)? No. Such a shame.
Agreed. Difference between a purchase and a pass for me.

Can you turn off button prompts for counters and dodges and the like? Combat in Arkham Asylum/City felt like one big QTE with the counter "warnings" turned on.

I wouldn't call them QTEs at all. You still have full control of your character.

And besides, it actually makes sense in this game seeing as how his spider sense is one of Spider-man's primary powers.

DrBo42

The actual "hey idiot, press triangle to dodge" bits seem to go away after the first mission it so but the PRESS R1 to web attack or whatever it is seems to always be there. There is 0 variation or depth to the swing system. You're either holding R2 or you're web rushing. Doing what I'm doing (releasing R2 before the upward arc) is clearly not intended as it offers no linked acrobatic movement other than the same canned roll over and over. Sorry webheads.

I wouldn't call them QTEs at all. You still have full control of your character.

And besides, it actually makes sense in this game seeing as how his spider sense is one of Spider-man's primary powers.

The IGN video I saw could've just been a demo/tutorial level, but I was seeing button prompts for everything: "Counter!" "Dodge!" "Signature Move!" and so on. It struck me as more than a little overkill. Again, though, that could just be a tutorial.

Edit: Oh, good, just a beginning tutorial. Thanks, Doc! The lazy swinging is a bit disappointing, but I'm going to at least give it a rental before I judge the overall package.

The actual "hey idiot, press triangle to dodge" bits seem to go away after the first mission it so but the PRESS R1 to web attack or whatever it is seems to always be there. There is 0 variation or depth to the swing system. You're either holding R2 or you're web rushing. Doing what I'm doing (releasing R2 before the upward arc) is clearly not intended as it offers no linked acrobatic movement other than the same canned roll over and over. Sorry webheads.
Such bullshit. Screw you Beenox

Ah well, more money for me

Bob White

Welp...not buying it.

I think its so funny that people wont buy a spiderman game cause of "cloud swinging". When Neversoft released the best spiderman game for ps1 no one coplained about the swinging and that game was universally hailed as a great game. When spiderman came out for ps2 that game was also fun and noone complained about it. Just like comics, there is a suspension of disbelief so that you can relate to the character doing these feats that defy all reality. All video games not grounded in realism do it, so why can't this game? I understand that people want a swinging simulator, but that is not the only thing that makes a spiderman game, its also about the story and general game play. If you think spiderman is only about swinging then go outside and tie a rope to a tree and see how far that gets you....I bet you won't be asking for realism then...

As far as that being the only good game mechanic for an old ass game, well thats true, but spiderman 2 sucked.......face it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Agreed. If you can't get your hands on that, check out Web Of Shadows. It had amazing swinging as well.
Ooo, that looks pretty good. Does it have the "turbo" button S2 had, where you press it to boost yourself at the apex of a swing? What about a charge jump? If so, I think I'm gonna grab that.

By the way, I just downloaded and played through the demo of Spider-Man on the 3DS. It's all indoors, but I have to say, it's not too bad. Good clean graphics, fantastic animations, and decent gameplay. It wasn't great, but it was pretty fun. I'm not sure if it has an open world like the console games, but if it does, that might be worth it to buy or at least check out. 7/10 material, from what I played. Solid.

DrBo42

The big problem isn't cloud swinging. It's the lack of momentum, floaty physics, and lack of variation/control.

Swinging complaints aside the first boss battle makes you feel more like Spiderman than in previous games I've played. Very epic and cinematic.

Also Controls L2 could have been used as a turbo or web zip if pressed with R2, anything to add depth to the locomotion but no. It has to be a dedicated camera?

Karish

The big problem isn't cloud swinging. It's the lack of momentum, floaty physics, and lack of variation/control.

Swinging complaints aside the first boss battle makes you feel more like Spiderman than in previous games I've played. Very epic and cinematic.

Also Controls L2 could have been used as a turbo or web zip if pressed with R2, anything to add depth to the locomotion but no. It has to be a dedicated camera?

How is everyone playing the game right now?

heringer

Ooo, that looks pretty good. Does it have the "turbo" button S2 had, where you press it to boost yourself at the apex of a swing? What about a charge jump? If so, I think I'm gonna grab that.

By the way, I just downloaded and played through the demo of Spider-Man on the 3DS. It's all indoors, but I have to say, it's not too bad. Good clean graphics, fantastic animations, and decent gameplay. It wasn't great, but it was pretty fun. I'm not sure if it has an open world like the console games, but if it does, that might be worth it to buy or at least check out. 7/10 material, from what I played. Solid.

Not open world? That's... disappointing considering even the mobile version is.

On another note, how was the swinging in Ultimate Spider-Man? I don't remember exactly, but I do remember being more fond of that game than Spider-Man 2 (which I also liked).

DrBo42

On another note, how was the swinging in Ultimate Spider-Man? I don't remember exactly, but I do remember being more fond of that game than Spider-Man 2 (which I also liked).
Ultimate I really enjoyed, good swing system as well.

Bingo.

The ability to use your momentum in Spider-Man 2, shoot web from both hands and just hanging between two buildings like a Spider-Jesus, and all the great animations during web transitions just gave you the sense that they thought of every detail they could to add to the fun of swinging.

Now instead of a great gameplay element it's just a boring form of transportation.

Margalis

Banned
I think its so funny that people wont buy a spiderman game cause of "cloud swinging".

It's less the fact that you can swing from clouds and more what that implies - the swinging is essentially devoid of any actual gameplay mechanics like choosing what to swing from, momentum, etc.

I saw the game at E3 and my impression was it was hard to tell what the actual "game" part of the game was. From what I saw the swinging may as well have just been a jetpack, and one of the missions was literally press RB 4 times and Y and B twice each to beat it. It was like one long QTE.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

The demo wasn't open world. I have no idea about the actual game.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
I love you GTAclaude but that stretched header is killing me

I love you too SalsaShark.

Ah well. This is how I expected the swinging mechanics to turn out.

At least the combat is solid, right? Have you collected any comic books yet?

DrBo42

I love you too SalsaShark.

Ah well. This is how I expected the swinging mechanics to turn out.

At least the combat is solid, right? Have you collected any comic books yet?
Combat is solid. Comic book collecting is a nice distraction I suppose. The in your face press R1 to collect comic book prompt every 4 seconds while swinging will drive you a little mad though.

Defuser

Dammit people it's been 8 years, let it go, some of you are pathetic. You will never get that swinging mechanism back. Even Treyarch themselves couldn't recapture it with SM3 despite being the one who invented SM2 swinging.

Or you can wait for the PC version and mod it.

Dacvak

Stan Lee is none-too pleased about being included as a playable character in the game.

*side-note - For a guy who's turning 90 at the end of this year, he seems to be in really good health.
Holy crap, he's almost freaking 90? I can't even comprehend someone being that lively and being 90

Then again, I have a really warped view of age/lifespan after getting the ol' leukemia.

Good for him. It honestly makes me want to buy this game more knowing that I could play as THE Stan Lee.

Gasp! Have people done this with other Spidey games?

Trigger

Dammit people it's been 8 years, let it go, some of you are pathetic. You will never get that swinging mechanism back. Even Treyarch themselves couldn't recapture it with SM3 despite being the one who invented SM2 swinging.

Bu tell us how you really feel.

Cloud swinging? Again? Great. Yet another unpurchased spider man game. Oh well.

Edit: At least Gravity Rush kind of recaptured that Spidey 2 feeling. Movement in that game is fantastic.

Dacvak

Is Stan Lee still a preorder bonus or is there some way we can unlock him in the game?
Preorder bonus only? Say it ain't so!

That, right there, would kill my purchase.

Dacvak

Hang on. So you would spend $60 on a game, but only if you got to play as Stan Lee?
Nah, it's a personal thing. I'm against pushy per-order bonuses that punish average consumers. Usually I try to avoid them as a way to vote with my wallet on something I don't agree with. Some might see it as stupid, but I think it's a destructive trend in gaming, and I try not to support games/publishers that do it.

If Stan Lee is unlockable, that'd be cool with me. If he's a pre-order bonus for GameStop or something, I'll probably pass on the game entirely.

Again, it may be stupid, but as a consumer I can only vote with my wallet on things I don't agree with.

Edit: To answer your question in the other direction - yes - having Stan lee as a playable character would be awesome and influence me enough to potentially buy the game. Stan Lee is the man. =P

DrBo42

Chapter 5 makes all the bullshit in this game worth it. Wow Beenox, hats off to you. Best battle in Manhattan in a Spider-Man game.

Nah, it's a personal thing. I'm against pushy per-order bonuses that punish average consumers. Usually I try to avoid them as a way to vote with my wallet on something I don't agree with. Some might see it as stupid, but I think it's a destructive trend in gaming, and I try not to support games/publishers that do it.

If Stan Lee is unlockable, that'd be cool with me. If he's a pre-order bonus for GameStop or something, I'll probably pass on the game entirely.

Again, it may be stupid, but as a consumer I can only vote with my wallet on things I don't agree with.

Edit: To answer your question in the other direction - yes - having Stan lee as a playable character would be awesome and influence me enough to potentially buy the game. Stan Lee is the man. =P

I totally agree, incidentally, but in general I don't care about skins. Gameplay? Levels? Awful thing to do. Skins and stuff... Meh. LEss bothered.

vdlow

I want to see a video of Spider-Man web swinging through the city as the one from SM 2 that has been posted here. This will decide if I buy or not the game.

Drewfonse

Combat is solid. Comic book collecting is a nice distraction I suppose. The in your face press R1 to collect comic book prompt every 4 seconds while swinging will drive you a little mad though.

Are you having fun playing the game? That's all I care about.

Top Bottom