• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Anime Expo 2015 thread of 100,000 people taking over LA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime Expo, even when it was "small" at 45,000 attendees was one of the best conventions for streetpasses. It got to the point where you would max out streepasses so fast that once I hit 300-400 steetpasses I just said, "screw it" and just ignored my 3DS.

LOL quitter. :p

I'll have my 3DS and my shiny new P4DAN Vita with me this year.

My last minute purchases before leaving for AX later this week:
7fad2d4e84526e26a1d55478877f4d42_zpsw6uve8gn.jpg

I'm ready.

zugzug

Just booked my hotel a few hours ago 2 miles away from convention center arriving thursday checking out sunday driving down from Oregon bout 12 1/2 hour drive for me.

Flying solo, Dunno its gonna feel a bit weird haven't been since what 2000 or 2002 somesuch when the dot/hack ccg was going.

Is this the same convention that use to be in Long beach around those years? Or is that a different con. Kinda impulse trip I got all excited about something I saw attending so just up and blam decided to buy a ticket since it was still available.

I'm comfortable traversing LA use to live there for 7 years not downtown like this but I've driven to Staples center quite a few times.

Anyone wanna goto Orochon Ramen, or any other crazy eatery I'm game hit me up.

Mononoke

Banned
Just booked my hotel a few hours ago 2 miles away from convention center arriving thursday checking out sunday driving down from Oregon bout 12 1/2 hour drive for me.

Flying solo, Dunno its gonna feel a bit weird haven't been since what 2000 or 2002 somesuch when the dot/hack ccg was going.

Is this the same convention that use to be in Long beach around those years? Or is that a different con. Kinda impulse trip I got all excited about something I saw attending so just up and blam decided to buy a ticket since it was still available.

I'm comfortable traversing LA use to live there for 7 years not downtown like this but I've driven to Staples center quite a few times.

Anyone wanna goto Orochon Ramen, or any other crazy eatery I'm game hit me up.

Nice. Me and my wife are from So Cal and have a place near LA to crash. Would be cool meeting up.

Priz

Don't drive so I'm limited to walking distance eateries lol.

Aksys panel is a must for ne
You can always take the local transit to head over to Eggslut or anything else in that awesome Grand Central Market.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Los...084319313f3!2m2!1d-118.248756!2d34.050647!3e3

(Damnit, now I want Eggslut...)

You can also take transit to Little Tokyo. In the 90's, took many friends from IRC to dine at Curry House there. It became a regular tradition to eat at Curry House during E3. :) I know there's now a CoCo Ichi in LA proper, but I don't know if it's closer to the convention center than Curry House.

CodeNfX

I look forward to hearing you guys experience picking up your badge(s). I will be going around 7pm. Hope it's not like last year, 5 hours in line isn't fun.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The attendance jump is real, Anime Expo just sold out of Friday badges.

In my 12+ years of attending and running Anime Expo, I never seen Friday badges sell out.......EVER.

The attendance jump is real, Anime Expo just sold out of Friday badges.

In my 12+ years of attending and running Anime Expo, I never seen Friday badges sell out.......EVER.

Any word on the Thursday badges? That's the real test.....

well granted, MOMOCLO and KISS are performing that day so it wouldn't shock me....

got a premier pass so no need for badge pickup.

Down to hang with gaffers today. Message me. Going to go around 12-1pm for hotel early checkin possibly

Hcoregamer00

PSA, they are also doing badge pick up in west hall too. My friend is in the line for that and there are only 2 people, as opposed to 10,000 people.

#WatchingOutForGaffers

DTJAAAAM

Flying down in a few hours, and plan on spending just about all of my time taking cosplay pics as always. Giving my new lens its first proper test!

Hcoregamer00

Flying down in a few hours, and plan on spending just about all of my time taking cosplay pics as always. Giving my new lens its first proper test!

Nice, I always see you in Anime Expo David.

Hopefully I get to run into you again (not like it is hard to with our crazy camera equipment).

I'd like to go to this one day.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that for us SoCal people, Anime Expo is just a local con that is really really big, but it is a destination con for many people in the USA and overseas.

zeemumu

At least it looks like the tents are up for LINECON so try to stay cool and hydrated. Oh and if you have a 3DS, get ready for all those street passes while waiting in line.

If you hadn't reminded me I would have left it at home. Thank you! Now what game should I bring...

Jiraiza

Are there any protips for shopping at the Exhibit Hall? I hear the best days to go ham are Saturday and Sunday, but is there any limited time stuff on Thursday or Friday? Have work on Thursday but I'll be picking up my badge later during the day (which I assume lines will be nonexistent, around 4PM).

CodeNfX

What's the benefit of street passes? I'll probably just throw my 3DS in the bag and leave it there until the end of day.

Valus

What's the benefit of street passes? I'll probably just throw my 3DS in the bag and leave it there until the end of day.

Your 3DS can only store like 10 passes at a time, so be aware. If you want to maximize your returns you have to check your 3DS like..hourly.

They are only there to help you complete puzzles and do minigames to get hats for your Mii.

If you hadn't reminded me I would have left it at home. Thank you! Now what game should I bring...

No problem and stay cool out there.

Are there any protips for shopping at the Exhibit Hall? I hear the best days to go ham are Saturday and Sunday, but is there any limited time stuff on Thursday or Friday? Have work on Thursday but I'll be picking up my badge later during the day (which I assume lines will be nonexistent, around 4PM).

Day 1 (Thursday) for shopping can be hit or miss, unless you already know what you're looking for and that it hasn't sold out; if you're looking for LE Nendoroids however, they'll probably be long gone by the end of the day.

Day 2 (Friday) usually seems to be the day most people have a few booths in mind to compare prices of stuff they want to buy as well as buy stuff for possible autographs. Also on Day 2, many industry panels from the likes of Aniplex, FUNimation and some of the bigger names are happening that day so it's always good to check out as if they're doing their own autograph signings, they'll have more concrete info at the panels themselves.

For me personally, I usually buy my bigger items (usually a BD set or maybe a figure) either on Days 1-2 and smaller stuff on 3-4 though this year I'm not sure what I might be getting. Recently, I find myself blowing more cash on Artist Alley stuff than stuff from the main dealers.

Wanderer5

Tsk would have been nice to get the badge over with, but I wouldn't have been able to do so today, so whatever, I going to be there early tomorrow anyway.

Just wrapping up to be set.

zeemumu

Got my badge, got my bag. Took 5 minutes at most and that was almost entirely walk time. The only problem that I had was that they accidentally gave me a 4 Day instead of just a Thursday so I had to get that fixed.
because I'm honest, that's why

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Ya'll see this?

1510710_10153313270620673_126456190813227986_n.jpg

Sounds like the hotels ain't fuckin' around. Take note and be careful.
I was pretty annoyed that after this lecture when I got my keys, we went up to our room and found a rad blood stain on our shower curtain!

We are rolling out to pick up badges soon. I am probably the only dude at the con in a Minnesota Timberwolves hat so if you see me say hi! Or if you street pass a Z$, that's me.

I plan on wearing a Neogaf tshirt tomorrow but I be on the lookout for the rest of you.

Also, I'm kinda jealous that it took minutes for people to get this year's badges but I had to wait hours for my 2015 premiere badge last year.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Still looking for a place to crash Day 2-4, can toss a few bones at cost. No one is doing a meetup either I guess?

Wanderer5

Well I all packed and set. Time to blast off one more time as Team Rocket Grunt (I based on the original black and white design) at AX!

CodeNfX

Line was basically nonexistent, in and out in 3 minutes. The badge is a nice improvement imo but I don't like how our name isn't on it (feels like I don't own it), doesn't that make it easy for people to sneak in? Have fun everyone attending!

OceanBlue

Yeah got my badge really quickly. I'm really glad I went to get it now.

I heard there's an app for the schedule. Anyone know what it is?

"Hotel provided wristbands", what? Does the JW just use wristbands instead of card keys, or is this something new this year? And is anyone staying at the Residence Inn and knows if they are doing this as well? I know a bunch of people who stuff a people to a single room, including myself, so it would really suck if the hotels actually cracked down on this.

I'm going to be arriving there at about 11am or so.

Wouldnt be linecon without a line to get into the convention center ~_~

Heads up, secruity isnt allowing outside food and water in your bag.

They dont check throughly though lol

Hcoregamer00

I am looking at photos and damn does the convention crowd look very very packed.

It looks like the Saturday crowd of Anime Expo 2014 on the first day of con :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom