• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Answer is Always "Platinum Games"

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That's funny, because I think Bayonetta has some of the best art design and music out of any melee action game.

I really would like to see your idea of good art design.

Please don't indulge him

He just irrationally hates the game. At one point he came into the DmC thread to basically equate all criticism of that game to Bayonetta and call everyone(and at the same time no one) hypocrites for liking one and not the other.

Riposte

Please don't indulge him

He just irrationally hates the game. At one point he came into the DmC thread to basically equate all criticism of that game to Bayonetta and call everyone(and at the same time no one) hypocrites for liking one and not the other.

I get the feeling his commentary may be colored by the fact he was getting his ass kicked by the game's normal difficulty.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What ever happened to Treasure?

Scrolling shooters became an increasingly smaller and smaller niche

I get the feeling his commentary may be colored by the fact he was getting his ass kicked by the game's normal difficulty.

Maybe but I'm not gonna make assumptions and attack his person/skill level. His actions alone justify not engaging him in any discussion about these games

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Just a very popular GAF meme to constantly bring up Platinum Games and Kamiya as the saviors of everything. I personally am more attracted to Grasshopper Mfg, EAD Tokyo, and hopefully Tango Gameworks.

I just don't think The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are top any of my lists of upcoming Japanese games I care about.

Risette

A Good Citizen
How are Platinum avoiding Wii U?
Dude, it's farnham. Don't do this. It's been going on for a while.

The whole platinum deal (bayonetta 2, w101) reaks of another aliens colonial marines to me. Kamiya is not developing the game actively but rather spends time with trolls and the company as a whole probably sees the titles as a good opportunity to get money from nintendo to put it in real projects like metal gear solid rising.

The stance of platinum regarding games like bayonetta 1 or mgr on wiiu just makes me think that they are not interested in bayonetta 2 or w101 selling and they are probably not spending resources on it.

(click the arrow to be guided to more insanity)

Apoc87

Banned
Bayonetta 2 isn't coming out for any consoles people actually care about.

Madworld sucked.

Metal Gear Rising was underwhelming.

I <3 Bayonetta and Vanquish.

farnham

Banned
Dude, it's farnham. Don't do this. It's been going on for a while.

(click the arrow to be guided to more insanity)

I dont think its insanity. Their track record on nintendo hardware is way worse than what they have done so far on other platforms (i have both madworld and infinite space). They know bayonetta 2 and w101 will sell sub 500k worldwide and will give it attention accordingly.
farnham you forgot to log off your alt

Shock! Some people have diverging opinions

JPKellams

Because farnham is crazy.

Best metal to use in the anvil we are planning to drop on franham Wile E. Coyote style? Platinum.

Actually, I like farnham. Critical fans aren't a bad thing, because if we make a game that wins him over or makes him change his mind, it means we've done a good job.

True story: At E3 2010, I went into a gamestop with Kamiya and Hashimoto. Clerk was just bad mouthing Bayo the entire time we were there, not knowing who we were. I jokingly told him, that dude made it. He got super-embarassed and apologized. Kamiya told him no need, it is our job to make games he enjoys, and his opinion is just how he feels. We all went outside and took pictures together afterwards, and he called his boss to tell the story. Was an awesome moment.

Best metal to use in the anvil we are planning to drop on franham Wile E. Coyote style? Platinum.

Actually, I like farnham. Critical fans aren't a bad thing, because if we make a game that wins him over or makes him change his mind, it means we've done a good job.

True story: At E3 2010, I went into a gamestop with Kamiya and Hashimoto. Clerk was just bad mouthing Bayo the entire time we were there, not knowing who we were. I jokingly told him, that dude made it. He got super-embarassed and apologized. Kamiya told him no need, it is our job to make games he enjoys, and his opinion is just how he feels. We all went outside and took pictures together afterwards, and he called his boss to tell the story. Was an awesome moment.
Does that mean Kamiya understands how bad the vehicle portions of Bayonetta were? And we'll have no more insta-death QTEs in Bayonetta 2?

Platinum Games confirmed to shop at GameStop.

RedSwirl

Well look at how varied Hideki Kamiya's accomplishments are. He's made incredible games in three different genres. Hell, they're almost the only Japanese developer that's been able to make a really good western-style shooter.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well look at how varied Hideki Kamiya's accomplishments are. He's made incredible games in three different genres. Hell, they're almost the only Japanese developer that's been able to make a really good western-style shooter.
Western style shooter what

Does that mean Kamiya understands how bad the vehicle portions of Bayonetta were?

He probably doesn't think of them as bad considering he most likely designed them after some of his favorite Sega games. I'm guessing he just doesn't care.

If he does understand that they are bad, its in a good nostalgic way.

He probably doesn't think of them as bad considering he most likely designed them after some of his favorite Sega games. I'm guessing he just doesn't care.

If he does understand that they are bad, its in a good nostalgic way.
The biking section wasn't enjoyable at all. It felt slapped together. The missile shooter portion was enjoyable, but far, far too long and became uninteresting quickly. I steered clear of replaying these levels on harder difficulties until I had to because it was just not fun. Keep in mind that I like the genres these mini-games were trying to portray.

abadguy

Banned

It'd be interesting to see Platinums take on a western themed shooter like Red Dead Redemption. Probably add some kind of crazy take on it, like having your gunslinger character fighting giant steam powered mecha.

rvy

Banned

WHY CAN'T HE EVER COME MEET ME? I'LL KISS HIS BALD HEAD!

farnham

Banned

i will probably buy both games, but mostly because there is nothing else on wiiu. I would probably buy alien colonial marines if that came out. So yeah you won me over but rather due to nintendos failure than the merit of platinums quality

JPKellams

i will probably buy both games, but mostly because there is nothing else on wiiu. I would probably buy alien colonial marines if that came out. So yeah you won me over but rather due to nintendos failure than the merit of platinums quality

I care less about you buying the games than I do about you enjoying them.

Verendus

Banned
PG is rough in many areas. I'd like for them to create a memorable and successful IP of their own. Vanquish is their only good game in my eyes. Though, I've yet to play MGR and I'm a MGS fan so I'm sure I'll enjoy that. None of their games have performed well so far.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think 101's style is really derivative of Joe's

While Joe was Movies and Anime/Tokusatsu, 101 looks more based on American Super Heroes and action figures/Gashapon.

I usually dislike how sterile Nintendo games look but I really really like 101's aesthetic from what I've seen so far.

This is why I'm a fan

Christ, some of the posts on the last few pages make me want to delete the internet. What is wrong with some of you crazies?

The length some people go to belittle such a gameplay-first developer in 2013 because of a few passionate fans is amazing.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Their best game is Gradius V and it's great because it's so dissimilar to a normal Treasure game.

They've made some pretty cool games. I really like both Sin and Punishment's and enjoyed my time with their genesis games.

I just don't get why they're compared to Platinum. I don't think the studios have anything incommon outside of being highly visible/recognizable independent Japanese studios.

But I mean if that's all it takes you might as well be comparing them to Cave and From Software while you're at it.

14F2Q-1.png

What's the story on this? Kamyia seems like such a douchebag.

farnham

Banned
I care less about you buying the games than I do about you enjoying them.

PR speak can be done by any company. However you should have your internal sales projections and i cant imagine they look very high since wiiu is selling terribly world wide. You can say what you want but I dont believe it, if you say that your company is putting serious effort in a project that is not likely to bear any financial fruits for any of the parties involved.

NotLiquid

What's the story on this? Kamyia seems like such a douchebag.

Kotaku wrote an article piece on Kamiya after a statement he made on Twitter that he doesn't really get PC gaming, and it painted a rather stupid picture of him and Japanese devs. He got pretty pissed about it and Luke asked whether or not he read it because he figured the article wasn't that bad, and Kamiya retorted by equating reading the article to eating shit.

Macmanus

Bayonetta 2 isn't coming out for any consoles people actually care about.

Madworld sucked.

Metal Gear Rising was underwhelming.

I <3 Bayonetta and Vanquish.

Is this a controversial opinion? To me it strikes me as the factiest fact that's ever facted fact.

Except I never played MGR. That might be the greatest game of all time for all I know.

farnham

Banned
Is this a controversial opinion? To me it strikes me as the factiest fact that's ever facted fact.

Except I never played MGR. That might be the greatest game of all time for all I know.

No its not. Its amazing how nintendo invested money in bayonetta 2. People that care about that game dont care about wiiu, people that may buy wiiu will not know of bayonetta 2s existence. I cant imagine a serious company will be putting effort in such a game.

Top Bottom