• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Answer is Always "Platinum Games"

They make games that are challenging, have wonderful gameplay with deep mechanics, great boss fights and plots that shouldn't be taken too seriously. Their action games are phenomenal and Wonderful 101 looks to continue that trend.

That said, they probably wouldn't be ideal for every genre, though I wouldn't necessarily bet against them either. Developer of this gen, along with From, Nintendo's Tokyo EAD and Rocksteady.

NotLiquid

The impressive thing is Platinum is something so rare as being one of the most effective developers not just in the Japanese space but within the industry period. Within the timespan of a year and a half, they've come out with four games, all of which were incredibly robust, well received and greatly produced (well, Infinite Space is arguable).

Now this year, assuming Bayonetta 2 makes it out, they'll be yet again coming out with three games this year that look to be of stellar quality. It's rare to see a developer have such a tight development cycle and being able to deliver on almost all fronts as far as game play is concerned. The fact that Metal Gear Rising exists under their name and that it's of such stellar quality is a testament to their ability to adapt and make another IP with a different direction justice.

They only really need to shape up in their story department. Not sure where the touch that was brought in Okami and Viewtiful Joe back during their Clover days went to, but with TW101 I hope Kamiya can rekindle it.

I just want Kamiya to make a successor to Okami and Viewtiful Joe. None of this M rated stuff. The Wonderful 101 seems like something else entirely.

NotLiquid

I just want Kamiya to make a successor to Okami and Viewtiful Joe. None of this M rated stuff. The Wonderful 101 seems like something else entirely.

I'd say TW101 can easily be attributed to being the spiritual follow-up of Viewtiful Joe in numerous ways, at least concept wise. I don't think he wants to stick to doing the same idea but conceptually the character designs and the general tokusatsu direction is right in line with it.

The trailer line where the narrator went "that's right, we almost forgot someone; you" is something I could only imagine Kamiya writing if it were VJ.

Worst graphics, short games with little post game content or extras, awful stories...

You haven't really dug deep into Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising have you?

Also save for Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns (which had pretty decent graphics I'd say) the graphics come on account of performance. True feel of 60fps.

I have to say though I love their cinematics. In all the games they have this edge to 'em I don't get from many other developer and the movements are heavy yet believable, especially in Anarchy Reigns.

I'd say TW101 can easily be attributed to being the spiritual follow-up of Viewtiful Joe in numerous ways, at least concept wise. I don't think he wants to stick to doing the same idea but conceptually the character designs and the general tokusatsu direction is right in line with it.

The trailer line where the narrator went "that's right, we almost forgot someone; you" is something I could only imagine Kamiya writing if it were VJ.
Maybe visually but gameplay wise it's nothing like VJ. It doesn't have to have the same aesthetics, I just want him to do a light hearted/kid friendly action/adventure and side scrolling beat'em up like he did with goofy character action in Bayonetta, compared to Devil May Cry.

ash_ag

Studio making shortest games in industry ? Yep you guessed it Platinum games

Maddworld - 5 hours
Bayonetta - 6-7 hours
Vanquish - 5 or 6 hours
MGR - don't remember whole controversy but 5 or 6 hours ?

Another great thing about them. Each game gets to the point really fast and is packed with content from start to end. Good for those of us who can't afford spending tens of hours on games with horrible pacing.

Not to mention how replayable they are.

They're the best developer in the world right now, bar none. I don't expect that to change once Bayonetta 2 and W101 come out.

They made my first and second favourite game of the generation.

They swept the podium for me:

1. Vanquish
2. MGR
3. Bayonetta

And on-topic:
Who should nintendo get to make a new Star Fox game?

V_Arnold

Worst graphics, short games with little post game content or extras, awful stories...

Little post game content or extras? That is factually wrong.
Bayonetta contains more free extras and unlockables than 99,9% of the games released in the current generation. 99,9% of it. In fact, I just left that 0,1% there just so I am not making sweeping statements.

It is okay to not like what it has to offer, but to belittle it is really distasteful.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Not really lately is:

From Software (Mostly to make it like the soul series)
Retro
Platinum Games

Riposte

I do not think they are as perfect as many imply. I think they make quite a few mistakes in all of their games, but those games are usually still great. For example I love Metal Gear Rising, but that game has some dumb things about it.

btw, I think it is fair to say at this point that Anarchy Reigns (particularly the single player) is underrated. Leo's last chapter followed by the final battle (assuming you go Black->White I suppose) might be one of my favorite sections PG ever put in a game.

Jintor

I don't think they're perfect - MGR really falls apart at higher difficulty levels just due to the camera if nothing else - but they're consistently excellent.

Maddworld - 5 hours
Bayonetta - 6-7 hours
Vanquish - 5 or 6 hours
I'd rather play Vanquish through twice in a row far more then I'd want to play GTAIV or Max Payne 3 again.

Odrion

Banned
Platinum Games should design the next Sim City.

Think about it.

Maddworld - 5 hours
Bayonetta - 6-7 hours
Vanquish - 5 or 6 hours
Yeah, Platinum is basically the modern Treasure studio. The games are short, but very replayable.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They shame so many other developers racking up insane $200 million budgets.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - a GOTY contender developed in under 18 months.

The iffy Madworld/Anarchy Reigns teams aside, they ooze japanese developing talent.

edit: oh i see this is a page of wall to wall shit. *eject*

Didn't they already make an RPG called Infinite Space on the DS ? sadly, I didn't play it so I am not sure how good it is.

As I said earlier, Infinite Space is not a Platinum game. It's a Sega game developed by Nude Maker and other contractors that just happens to have a couple of people from Platinum overseeing it.

I dunno about this, playing Vanquish at the moment. People were saying how it was the end of all, be all king of third person shooting genre and how it made Uncharted look like a piece of shit. It really doesn't. To be honest, I am finding the game just ok at the moment, God of War Ascension is more engaging.

jgminto

Never actually beaten a Platinum game. Played Vanquish, the movement was cool but I didn't find the shooting itself that enjoyable. Played the demo of Anarchy Reigns, wasn't to fussed about it. Never played Bayonetta. I'll probably finish MGR when I play that...because it's Metal Gear.

They are a fine studio, but their name doesn't really hold that much clout personally.

Riposte

Can we really say that Anarchy Reigns was done by the "same team" as MadWorld? From what I understand most of PG worked on it and it had a new director.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Arent those basically the complaints about Vanquish, Anarchy and Rising?

Those are the basic misunderstandings about them

All three have their problems but people that think those are them are kinda missing the point.

KevinCow

Banned
That's because non-gameplay areas are easy to ignore.

Not when they keep shoving your face in them. If I'm not supposed to care about the story, then why do they frequently throw excessively long cutscenes at me? Especially when they're as bad as they are.

And nothing excuses the hideous art design of Bayonetta, or that one goddamn horrible song that plays during ever single battle in the game.

And nothing excuses the hideous art design of Bayonetta, or that one goddamn horrible song that plays during ever single battle in the game.

That's funny, because I think Bayonetta has some of the best art design and music out of any melee action game.

I really would like to see your idea of good art design.

Nibel

It's a studio full of young and talented people

They are amazing for what they are - a gift to the industry in my opinion

And yes, they outshine most their competitors when it comes to the important aspects of a game

If it requires thoughtful play and is often slow and methodical, it's From. If it's fast-paced and gets your pulse racing, it's Platinum.

Well, FROM made MWC and the Otogis too :) Also Ninja Blade, which was not nearly as good but had the president from MWC hehe. Frankly, even though I'm not a Souls fan, I like them even more than Platinum.

Top Bottom