• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Answer is Always "Platinum Games"

Persona86

Banned
The word Sci Fi can be used for a LOT of things, so it's almost senseless to debate over it. But there's a saying that goes something like "The definition of Sci Fi is hard to explain, but when you see it, you will know."

Bayonetta doesn't feel Sci Fi to me "IMO"

Most commercial flops? Platinum Games.
ohhhh.gif

Cold blooded!

deim0s

I love Platinum Games to the bone. But I do want to see something from a different genre, just get something out, away from their comfort zone. (FPS/strategy/ action RPG, whatever)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Am i the only one who think that Platinum only made shit after Vanquish?

No you are probably not the only one to dislike Anarchy Reigns and/or Metal Gear Rising. (Anarchy Reigns is multiplayer game so most of gaf hates it by default)

I love Platinum Games to the bone. But I do want to see something from a different genre, just get something out, away from their comfort zone. (FPS/strategy/ action RPG, whatever)

Why?

Between Bayonetta, Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns alone I think Platinum has demonstrated more variety and range within their specialty/niche than most other developers this gen.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Platinum has had its share of poor games (the main mode in Anarchy Reigns is effectively broken due to poor netcode and balance, and Infinite Space was a bore), but when you want unique takes on fast-paced action games with deep mechanics and the flash to accompany it, then Platinum Games is simply the best studio out there for those gaming experiences.

While their best games all still have issues, Vanquish has some of the best third-person shooting this generation, Metal Gear Rising turned out way better than a project as busted as that one was should have had any right to be, and Bayonetta simply has the best gameplay in a character action game, period.

Their best games are all intensely fun and extremely replayable. If you value most those qualities in games over story, atmosphere, game length, player choice, or deep RPG mechanics, then chances are you will really like Platinum's best output and trust them for future projects.

:)

I was pointing out that my own would be that they are, in fact, wrong. Yours are that they are right.

Making a thread telling everyone how Platinum is best at everything can rub people the wrong way, particularly when Platinum has yet to make any good non character action games.

It really seems like you're grasping for straws here.

First off, many great studios specialize in certain genres. Platinum's specialty is character action. Just because Irrational Games has never made any good games that don't involve shooting or strategic thinking and don't have involved stories (their three specialties) doesn't mean that they aren't a fantastic studio. Just because Turn 10 has yet to make a game without cars doesn't mean that they are a poor studio either. I could list plenty more examples, but I'll leave it here. There's no inherent problem in a studio sticking with what specialties they do best in, especially when said studio is one of the best out there in making products with those specialties.

Also, you should re-read the OP. He isn't claiming that Platinum is the best at everything. It's more a reaction to how often the Platinum name gets brought up in threads relating to past quality or potential performance on a hypothetical game.

When I think of the best platformers, strategy games and rpgs, I think Platinum Games and their classics in the fields such as
Bayonetta has a few ledges and floating pieces of ground which can be jumped on like a platformer you can level-up your guns in Vanquish and all of their games require some form of strategy CHECK AND MATE

In all honesty I do want to see them try out an action platformer. Hell maybe something way removed from their usual-fare subject-wise, whether it be something else like 101 or even more general audiences appropriate like Sonic. After they've had a crack at Star Fox, naturally.

KingFire

Banned
In all honesty I do want to see them try out an action platformer. Hell maybe something way removed from their usual-fare subject-wise, whether it be something else like 101 or even more general audiences appropriate like Sonic. After they've had a crack at Star Fox, naturally.

I don't want to see them try very drastic genres that they don't have experience with unless it is a successful IP. I simply don't want them to go out of business because they suck at making games that sell well.

KevinCow

Banned
I honestly can't think of a more overrated developer. They do some things well, but they do so many more things poorly, and people like to just ignore those for some reason.

I honestly can't think of a more overrated developer. They do some things well, but they do so many more things poorly, and people like to just ignore those for some reason.

More like people accept what they do poorly but like the products they put out enough that the problems become minor niggles. But yeah, keep burning that strawman.

In those cases, people accept those flaws because everything else is perfectly fine and they don't really detract from the reason you buy their games in the first place. I don't think anyone really plays Bayonetta or Vanquish for the plot or story, people play it for the gameplay and mechanics. And I can't really disagree, Bayonetta is a damn fine action game and Vanquish is still pretty much the best 3D arcade shooter.

I don't think they're the best developer but in terms of pure action gameplay, I can't really think another developer that puts out better games.

More like people accept what they do poorly but like the products they put out enough that the problems become minor niggles. But yeah, keep burning that strawman.

Pretty much. Rising has camera problems out the ass but I think back to either the start of the Monsoon fight when that guitar kicks in or RULES OF NATURE and it's all good.

Studio making shortest games in industry ? Yep you guessed it Platinum games

Maddworld - 5 hours
Bayonetta - 6-7 hours
Vanquish - 5 or 6 hours
MGR - don't remember whole controversy but 5 or 6 hours ?

Studio with the most obnoxious non-fans?

Platinum is fucking incredible...people who disagree with us are ignorant.

Vanquish was OK, couldn't be less interested in MGR or Bayonetta. Its gameplay is exceptional, but not enough to elevate it past 'OK' in the face of its problems. Although to be fair, the problems are clearly things I just prioritise more than the massive fans.

Arthea

Anytime something's wrong in gaming, just post #makeitright. Platinum Games will show up and fix the situation.

funnies post? I chuckled

Was going to post - shortest games, but already beaten, so
Most controversial main character - Platinum games

jgmo870

Banned
Yeah... I'd chock Platinum up with the likes of Nintendo EAD, Sakurai, From Soft, etc. because they're all overrated. Come on, Platinum's only made two incredible games and they lost the brain-child behind one of them. They don't seem interested in doing anything other than over-the-top action games either when there's more to the genre, let alone the rest of gaming. Then there's their writing and their long, poorly done cutscenes... *shivers*.

They're not this god-tier developer people make them out to be.

Yeah... I'd chock Platinum up with the likes of Nintendo EAD, Sakurai, From Soft, etc. because they're all overrated. Come on, Platinum's only made two incredible games and they lost the brain-child behind one of them. They don't seem interested in doing anything other than over-the-top action games either when there's more to the genre, let alone the rest of gaming. Then there's their writing and their long, poorly done cutscenes... *shivers*.

They're not this god-tier developer people make them out to be.

FROM are awesome :(

Can't say I want to be friends with people from those fanbases.

The only awesome games they make anymore are the Souls games. And they lost the diversity their lineup had since all they make are Souls and Armored Core games.

Aren't they pretty small? And one awesome franchise at a time is good enough for me :D

bigmac996

I really do love platinum games for the most part but I'm still waiting for their next gen take on a game as unique and gorgeous as Okami. Need a bit of that Clover originality back in the mix. As it is they seem to be specializing in mostly over-the-top action and silliness which is cool, but I'd love to see their best efforts put toward something unique.

Wonderful 101 is looking to be in that realm, but I have to try not to get too hyped up.

I never quite got into Vanquish like other people. I play maybe 30 mins of gameplay every couple months trying to get back into it but I can't. I want to love it so badly!

I really do love platinum games for the most part but I'm still waiting for their next gen take on a game as unique and gorgeous as Okami. Need a bit of that Clover originality back in the mix. As it is they seem to be specializing in mostly over-the-top action and silliness which is cool, but I'd love to see their best efforts put toward something unique.

Wonderful 101 is looking to be in that realm, but I have to try not to get too hyped up.

I never quite got into Vanquish like other people. I play maybe 30 mins of gameplay every couple months trying to get back into it but I can't. I want to love it so badly!

The unfortunate thing is that a game like Okami would probably cost a lot more than the other games they've been making, and it might be hard to get a publisher with enough confidence in their ability to make a high-selling game to give them that much money.

Platinum Games are amazing devs, I like them, but NO THANK YOU, they are not the answer to every single thing.

They are good as Japanese developer, and should focus on Japanese games, I don't want them near any western game, for example Platinum Games said they are interested in Darksiders IP or something, but I am afraid they are not good for it, I would rather have someone else get the IP due to many reasons, on the other hand they can handle Devil May Cry.

Also they really can't tell any stories at all, Bayonetta was cool but the story was so bad and meeeeh, also the length of their games is WAY too short.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I love PG to death but it pains me I could never get into Vanquish as much as I wanted to,
Where are those "tutorials" on YT that teach you to play like a badass? I'm sure I never played the game the "right" way and I'm missing a lot of stuff

Jintor

Studio making shortest games in industry ? Yep you guessed it Platinum games

Maddworld - 5 hours
Bayonetta - 6-7 hours
Vanquish - 5 or 6 hours
MGR - don't remember whole controversy but 5 or 6 hours ?

*glances at Bayonetta 150 hour playfile*

I... hmmm.

Top Bottom