• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Answer is Always "Platinum Games"

JPKellams

PR speak can be done by any company. However you should have your internal sales projections and i cant imagine they look very high since wiiu is selling terribly world wide. You can say what you want but I dont believe it, if you say that your company is putting serious effort in a project that is not likely to bear any financial fruits for any of the parties involved.

When you have stock in Platinum you can worry about what our finances look like. Until then, why don't you just have some fun and play video games.

(That is the polite way of me saying you don't haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about.)

NotLiquid

No its not. Its amazing how nintendo invested money in bayonetta 2. People that care about that game dont care about wiiu, people that may buy wiiu will not know of bayonetta 2s existence. I cant imagine a serious company will be putting effort in such a game.

I'd argue that the only people who bought a Wii U right now are exactly the kind of people who know of Bayonetta 2.

Best metal to use in the anvil we are planning to drop on franham Wile E. Coyote style? Platinum.

Actually, I like farnham. Critical fans aren't a bad thing, because if we make a game that wins him over or makes him change his mind, it means we've done a good job.

True story: At E3 2010, I went into a gamestop with Kamiya and Hashimoto. Clerk was just bad mouthing Bayo the entire time
we were there, not knowing who we were. I jokingly told him, that dude made it. He got super-embarassed and apologized. Kamiya told him no need, it is our job to make games he enjoys, and his opinion is just how he feels. We all went outside and took pictures together afterwards, and he called his boss to tell the story. Was an awesome
moment.
Wait, wait. You mean Kamiya DIDNT tell him to eat shit or use his brain? Honestly I'm a
little disappointed.

Seriously though. That story actually is a very
good representation of what I feel like Platinum is going for when I play their
games. I always feel like they made
something they want to share with us and for us to enjoy rather then seeing people as customers. Its something that used to be commonplace in video games but kind of got blurred this generation. Its a huge reason you guys have my respect.

Macmanus

When you have stock in Platinum you can worry about what our finances look like. Until then, why don't you just have some fun and play video games.

(That is the polite way of me saying you don't haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about.)

Platinum Games doesn't have an IPO. You're a private company.

If you go public and I buy shares (assuming I hate money) could I then convince you guys to make games for systems that people own? Bayonetta is my favorite from last gen.

farnham

Banned

no i dont know your financials in detail. I, however, cant imagine many people will buy w101 and bayonetta 2 and i cant imagine that your projections will be much different. Also I cant imagine that a company invests heavily in a project knowing that it will sell horribly.
Platinum Games doesn't have an IPO. You're a private company.

If you go public and I buy shares (assuming I hate money) could I then convince you guys to make games for systems that people own? Bayonetta is my favorite from last gen.

Depends on the amount of shares you buy, no?

no i dont know your financials in detail. I, however, cant imagine many people will buy w101 and bayonetta 2 and i cant imagine that your projections will be much different. Also I cant imagine that a company invests heavily in a project knowing that it will sell horribly.

Nintendo are the ones investing on those games, it's obvious they are properly investing on those games even if they know they won't sell all that well. farnham you seriously come up with the craziest shit on this forum, why don't you try to tone down the hyperbole?

JPKellams

Let me boil it down for you:

If we spent $100 million on something and you hated it, it doesn't change that you hated it.

If we have one dude do stick figures during lunch for crackerjacks and a can of coke, and it is your favorite game ever, then it is your favorite game ever.

If I have a job tomorrow or am driving a Ferrari tomorrow, it makes no difference to the experience you have with what we release.

The point is the what sort of enjoyment you take from what we make, not how we made it, how much it costs, who we made it with. This pseudo-business/salesage posturing is depressing, because the people who are focused on it are the exact people who it impacts the least. You have no vested interest, but instead of focusing on the quality of the entertainment we provide, you choose to focus on ancillary points that you yourself admit are based on half-baked conjecture.

Seriously, I love interacting with you guys on GAF, because many of you care deeply about the games and what they mean to you. I have some doubts about whether that statement applies to you, Farnham, and that is depressing.

farnham

Banned
Nintendo are the ones investing on those games, it's obvious they are properly investing on those games even if they know they won't sell all that well. farnham you seriously come up with the craziest shit on this forum, why don't you try to tone down the hyperbole?

if platinum has zero financial risk that means they will have a low share allocated on each games sold. In other words, they get paid for the project anyways. If thats true there is even less incentive to putin much effort in the project

Coin Return

Loose Slot

If we spent $100 million on something and you hated it, it doesn't change that you hated it.

If we have one dude do stick figures during lunch for crackerjacks and a can of coke, and it is your favorite game ever, then it is your favorite game ever.

If I have a job tomorrow or am driving a Ferrari tomorrow, it makes no difference to the experience you have with what we release.

The point is the what sort of enjoyment you take from what we make, not how we made it, how much it costs, who we made it with. This pseudo-business/salesage posturing is depressing, because the people who are focused on it are the exact people who it impacts the least. You have no vested interest, but instead of focusing on the quality of the entertainment we provide, you choose to focus on ancillary points that you yourself admit are based on half-baked conjecture.

Seriously, I love interacting with you guys on GAF, because many of you care deeply about the games and what they mean to you. I have some doubts about whether that statement applies to you, Farnham, and that is depressing.

have my children

Azure J

And this is why your tag is the best/most apt on GAF.

farnham

Banned

That may apply to one or two projects but doesnt sound like a sustainable thing to me. If you sold millions and i hated it at least the rest liked it and is likely to return. Sure i will probably not but im not so jaded to think that everyone has to make games for me.

Also it doesnt take much to see that wiiu is not selling and will not improve in the near future. Just look at the npd/ mc/ uk sales threads and you will see the platform is headed nowhere. Look at the release list for the next few month and its looking like there will be no improvement any time soon. It is also not a farfetched prediction to say that based on how gamecube and wii games similar to bayonetta 2 and w101 sold those games will not do well on wiiu. To say that there is little incentive to put in serious effort in those projects is far from unreasonable imho.

Wildly overrated developer. The amount of Bayonetta that I was able to tolerate was enough to convince me never to purchase a game made by them again.

JPKellams

That may apply to one or two projects but doesnt sound like a sustainable thing to me. If you sold millions and i hated it at least the rest liked it and is likely to return. Sure i will probably not but im not so jaded to think that everyone has to make games for me.

We do think that way. Which is why you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about at all.

Macmanus

Its so weird to me that people didn't like Bayonetta. I mainly play western D&D based RPGs, but man. The mechanics and art direction were just top notch.

Are there any other action games even comparable? Serious question.

farnham

Banned
Its so weird to me that people didn't like Bayonetta. I mainly play western D&D based RPGs, but man. The mechanics and art direction were just top notch.

Are there any other action games even comparable? Serious question.

Dmc, mgr and ng to some extent vj

Macmanus

Dmc, mgr and ng to some extent vj

The new DMC? I loved the first one for PS2. Haven't even looked at the new one, yet. The xbox NG was pretty damned amazing as well. VJ is on a personal top 10 list. Haven't touched any of those franchise's sequels. No idea what MGR is.

farnham

Banned
The new DMC? I loved the first one for PS2. Haven't even looked at the new one, yet. The xbox NG was pretty damned amazing as well. VJ is on a personal top 10 list. Haven't touched any of those franchise's sequels. No idea what MGR is.

I was talking about the old games of dmc (1-3 and to a lesser extent 4).

With MGR i meant Metal gear rising.

You could also include onimusha into the similar games category. 1-3 is on fixed 2D backgrounds but 4 is more in line of a modern full 3d action game

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Wildly overrated developer. The amount of Bayonetta that I was able to tolerate was enough to convince me never to purchase a game made by them again.

Predictable. Most Platinum hate in here is pretty predictable. Though about as predictable as my raging Platinum love.

KevinCow

Banned
Please don't indulge him

He just irrationally hates the game. At one point he came into the DmC thread to basically equate all criticism of that game to Bayonetta and call everyone(and at the same time no one) hypocrites for liking one and not the other.

No, I hate it because it's mediocre to bad in all aspects, yet is hailed as the BEST GAME EVER by so many gamers. Same reason I hate the MGS series so much. I might just dislike it if it wasn't for its fans talking about how amazing its abysmal story is.

I even rebought Bayonetta and gave it another shot after I played DmC, thinking that maybe I'd worked the skills to enjoy it. I was able to beat it without much difficulty this time, but I still wasn't able to enjoy it.

Art design? It's honestly one of the ugliest games I've ever played. Settings were dull and forgettable, enemies were walking clusterfucks, and Bayonetta was apparently designed by a bunch of horny 14-year-olds.

"Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if her clothes came off when she did her super attacks?"

"Totally! And we should call them climax attacks. You know, like sex?"

Music was still as bad as I remembered. And even if it wasn't, there's no excuse for having the same goddamn battle theme throughout the entire game.

Story-wise, I can't really comment, because I started skipping the cutscenes five minutes into the first one. Holy hell, was it bad, and just didn't seem to end. And I noticed that most of the cutscenes in the game were these ugly motion comics, so that probably doesn't help. I'm just going to assume the story's awful, because I can't imagine a story about a stripper with magic hair being anything approaching competent.

And yes, I think it's incredibly hypocritical to complain about DmC's cutscenes but not Bayonetta's, when Bayonetta's are much longer and seem to have been written by a bad fanfic writer, whereas DmC's cutscenes are actually approaching competent by comparison (well, at least video game competent).

And the gameplay, which was supposed to be its redeeming quality? Boring. I beat the game by mostly using the sword and shotgun boots, and just repeating a couple of combos while abusing the dodge button. People talk about how deep it is, but the only depth I could see was in memorizing more button combos and mastering the dodge offset, and neither of those sound particularly fun to me.

And then there were the many instadeath QTEs and enemies attacking you out of cutscenes before you even know you're in a battle. Those were some wonderful design decisions that weren't frustrating at all! I loved getting a stone trophy because I was killed by an instakill QTE!

Honestly, yeah, I think DmC is the better game. It's infinitely more polished, not just compared to Bayonetta, but to Japanese action games in general. It has art and music that I wouldn't call awful; in fact, I'd say they're often quite good. Levels and collectibles were designed in a way that I enjoyed looking for them and felt satisfied when I found them. But most importantly, when I finished the game, I thought, "That was really fun. I want to immediately replay at a higher difficulty and get better at it," as opposed to my reaction to Bayonetta: "Ugh, I'm glad that's over and I never have to play it again."

Broach

Banned
Well look at how varied Hideki Kamiya's accomplishments are. He's made incredible games in three different genres. Hell, they're almost the only Japanese developer that's been able to make a really good western-style shooter.

Binary Domain is better at being a "western" style shooter.

Village

No, I hate it because it's mediocre to bad in all aspects, yet is hailed as the BEST GAME EVER by so many gamers. Same reason I hate the MGS series so much. I might just dislike it if it wasn't for its fans talking about how amazing its abysmal story is.

I even rebought Bayonetta and gave it another shot after I played DmC, thinking that maybe I'd worked the skills to enjoy it. I was able to beat it without much difficulty this time, but I still wasn't able to enjoy it.

Art design? It's honestly one of the ugliest games I've ever played. Settings were dull and forgettable, enemies were walking clusterfucks, and Bayonetta was apparently designed by a bunch of horny 14-year-olds.

"Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if her clothes came off when she did her super attacks?"

"Totally! And we should call them climax attacks. You know, like sex?"

Music was still as bad as I remembered. And even if it wasn't, there's no excuse for having the same goddamn battle theme throughout the entire game.

Story-wise, I can't really comment, because I started skipping the cutscenes five minutes into the first one. Holy hell, was it bad, and just didn't seem to end. And I noticed that most of the cutscenes in the game were these ugly motion comics, so that probably doesn't help. I'm just going to assume the story's awful, because I can't imagine a story about a stripper with magic hair being anything approaching competent.

And yes, I think it's incredibly hypocritical to complain about DmC's cutscenes but not Bayonetta's, when Bayonetta's are much longer and seem to have been written by a bad fanfic writer, whereas DmC's cutscenes are actually approaching competent by comparison (well, at least video game competent).

And the gameplay, which was supposed to be its redeeming quality? Boring. I beat the game by mostly using the sword and shotgun boots, and just repeating a couple of combos while abusing the dodge button. People talk about how deep it is, but the only depth I could see was in memorizing more button combos and mastering the dodge offset, and neither of those sound particularly fun to me.

And then there were the many instadeath QTEs and enemies attacking you out of cutscenes before you even know you're in a battle. Those were some wonderful design decisions that weren't frustrating at all! I loved getting a stone trophy because I was killed by an instakill QTE!

Honestly, yeah, I think DmC is the better game. It's infinitely more polished, not just compared to Bayonetta, but to Japanese action games in general. It has art and music that I wouldn't call awful; in fact, I'd say they're often quite good. Levels and collectibles were designed in a way that I enjoyed looking for them and felt satisfied when I found them. But most importantly, when I finished the game, I thought, "That was really fun. I want to immediately replay at a higher difficulty and get better at it," as opposed to my reaction to Bayonetta: "Ugh, I'm glad that's over and I never have to play it again."

THIS, THIS SO BLOODY HARD. I like bayonetta functionally but goodness was all of that horrid to look at.

I really hope someone at capcom chains istuno to a desk and just makes him make DMC5 so i can play an action game with demons and have a character that knows how way to weird clothes on, the right way.

Her and DMC3 Dante are tied for my ".... please put some clothes, and good ones on" award. I have no issue with a character who likes being sexual, that fine, she still looks like a hot mess.

Environment i prefer dmc4 that neo classical stuff was dope, but the level design needed work, signs of an unfinished game, which we later learned. Same kinda neo classical thing got me hyped for vs 13. Enemies however I didn't really mind in bayonetta.

On this guys view on DmC , I don't agree, that game is a best average and at worst below average and a crap-tier DMC. I do think that new Dante and bayonetta both look like a hot mess though.

Top Bottom