• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
dlrpu8.jpg

Official Press Release

iPad Available in US on April 3
Pre-Order on March 12

CUPERTINO, California-March 5, 2010-Apple® today announced that its magical and revolutionary iPad will be available in the US on Saturday, April 3, for Wi-Fi models and in late April for Wi-Fi + 3G models. In addition, all models of iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK in late April.

Beginning a week from today, on March 12, US customers can pre-order both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models from Apple's online store (www.apple.com) or reserve a Wi-Fi model to pick up on Saturday, April 3, at an Apple retail store.

Technical Specifications
Size and weight1

* 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
* 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
* Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
* Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Memory
*16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive

* Wi-Fi
* Digital compass
* Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
* Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

Input and Output

* Dock connector
* 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
* Built-in speakers
* Microphone
* SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

Price
Wi-Fi- 16GB ($499), 32GB ($599), 64GB ($699)
Wi-Fi + 3G- 16GB ($629), 32GB ($729), 64GB ($829)

Screenshots

sketchbook_01.jpg
numbers_02.png

bbcapp.png

500x_plantszombiesapp.jpg

500x_fieldrunnersapp_02.jpg

korg-ielectribe.jpg

Demonstrations

Apple website demonstration
Engadget demonstration
And for some fun
iMockups for iPad
Apple Ipad-Guided Tours
Marvel App in action
Music apps on the horizon

Reviews

NY Times
Speaking of video: Apple asserts that the iPad runs 10 hours on a charge of its nonremovable battery — but we all know you can’t trust the manufacturer. And sure enough, in my own test, the iPad played movies continuously from 7:30 a.m. to 7:53 p.m. — more than 12 hours. That’s four times as long as a typical laptop or portable DVD player.

All Things Digital
If people see the iPad mainly as an extra device to carry around, it will likely have limited appeal. If, however, they see it as a way to replace heavier, bulkier computers much of the time—for Web surfing, email, social-networking, video- and photo-viewing, gaming, music and even some light content creation—it could be a game changer the way Apple’s iPhone has been.

USA Today
The first iPad is a winner. It stacks up as a formidable electronic-reader rival for Amazon’s Kindle. It gives portable game machines from Nintendo and Sony a run for their money. At the very least, the iPad will likely drum up mass-market interest in tablet computing in ways that longtime tablet visionary and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates could only dream of.

PC Mag
Is the iPad a perfect product? No. And the omissions will give the anti-Apple crowd plenty of ammo. Why do I need this extra device that’s not a full-fledged laptop? Where’s the camera? What about Flash? Um, how about multitasking? These are all valid complaints, but one thing I can say about most Apple products, and certainly the iPad: There may be things it doesn’t do, but what it does do, it does remarkably well. Aside from the aforementioned limitations, there isn’t a lot else to gripe about. And to my great surprise, you can actually get real work done with the iPad.

Houston Chronicle
It turns out the iPad isn’t as much a laptop replacement as I thought (though it could easily be used as one). Instead, it’s an entirely new category of mobile device. For example, now when I want to surf the Web from the couch or back deck, the iPad is the device I choose. Starbucks? Same thing. Think of the iPad as a new arrow in your technology quiver, an arrow that will often be the best tool for a given task. I had high expectations for the iPad, and it has met or exceeded most of them.

Suntimes

When I say that “Apple has done it again,” I’m not leading off my iPad review with a vague and tired old cliche. I’m noting that Apple has a reliable habit of taking a concept or technology that we’ve already seen, and then tweaking the industry’s nose by demonstrating how it should have been done from the very beginning. They articulate the basic idea in a way that blows past “cool” and arrives at “cool, compelling, and relevant.” A device that at long, long last makes utter and perfect sense, and kicks off a new wave of innovation, a new round of imitation, and sometimes even a new era in computing...The iPad is new, and revolutionary. And after a week of using it in my office, a day of using it freely in the real world, and after sampling the first releases of third party software, I know for sure that it’s been done right.

Recommended Apps

Here is a Google Document where you can view recommended apps and add your own

Related Threads
Link to the reveal thread. Haters be owned? Check back in the future!
iPad Gaming Thread

*Thanks to Pristine_Condition for the banner*

Purchase an iPad and this can be you!
4487337478_1d704cc1b6_o.jpg

mug

Gotta have the 3G model, I don't want to be tethered to a hot spot. Any word on AT&T subsidized pricing? Or is the iPad only available through Apple?

Vinci

Danish
I'm going to wait for another generation or two of these things before jumping in, but I'll get one eventually.

numble

Does anyone know if Apple products usually get released at the same time at other retailers, like Best Buy?

This thing looks dumb and neat at the same time.

But it also looks like the perfect tool for being lazy in bed.

I might get one once the early adopters grab up all the first ones (and if I come into some extra money).

Any iPad specific apps talked about that's not mentioned on the keynote? I'll prolly get one, but not until a killer app comes out.

I'm getting the 64GB WiFi version. Will use my iPhone when I need Internet access on the go and don't want to pay for yet another Internet fee.

April 3rd can't get here fast enough. I'll be putting the iPad through it's paces when I go to Nepal on the 9th of that month. Stress test at altitude! :D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
numble said:
Does anyone know if Apple products usually get released at the same time at other retailers, like Best Buy?
I got my iPhone 3GS day 1 at a Best Buy...so it's possible I guess?

...not sure if I want one, still. If I do dip in, it'll be a WiFi version for sure..not sure how much space I'd need.

So divided!

cvxfreak

I can't wait to see where they go with future iterations of the device.

That said, I totally reserve the right to buy the first gen. :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I now have the 'luxury' (thanks Apple) of listening to your impressions for a few weeks before deciding which version will be best for me.

Currently expecting the 32GB wifi, might stretch to a 64 depending on the UK prices - something Apple are keeping as a lovely surprise for us.

entremet

What's up with the font in the first picture in the OP? Not to be critical, LovingSteam, it's a great OP, but the font just seems out of place.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Pristine_Condition said:
Glad to see a GAF Official Thread for this, but I hate the font in the banner pic.l
Get some Myriad up in this bitch!

If any of you banner pros would be kind enough to assist a banner noob with a new creation I would gladly use it instead of the current banner.

So, does this mean that there's no chance Apple will add any surprise updates to the iPad before launch now? In the lead up to the original iPhone launch, Apple announced some surprise additions (native YouTube support, a change in the quality of the screen from plastic to glass, and a few others, I believe). I was hoping they'd do the same here, but I imagine they can't add anything now that the preorders are beginning.

mrkgoo

Vyse The Legend said:
So, does this mean that there's no chance Apple will add any surprise updates to the iPad before launch now? In the lead up to the original iPhone launch, Apple announced some surprise additions (native YouTube support, a change in the quality of the screen from plastic to glass, and a few others, I believe). I was hoping they'd do the same here, but I imagine they can't add anything now that the preorders are beginning.

John Gruber is suggesting the delay is for software, so who knows.

Flo_Evans

GAH, wife is hinting she wants a netbook for her B-day (april 11th....) IDK if I should try and snag one of these or just get the netbook.

entremet

Flo_Evans said:
GAH, wife is hinting she wants a netbook for her B-day (april 11th....) IDK if I should try and snag one of these or just get the netbook.
Depends on her needs. If she needs to do a lot of typing, I wouldn't get an iPad.

I might get one mostly as a portable browsing device at home. The media and ebook capabilities are also nice. I use my iPhone at home for the same purpose, but a bigger screen is going to be much nicer.

What is the purpose of this thing? I read all its abilities on their website, but to me its just a waste of money and not just a waste of money but a piece of shit. It looks very susceptible to damage and sure you can get a bunch of shit to protect it but its just a laptop with out the keyboard built on. I mean sure if your a millionaire and just wanna wast money on stupid shit sure.....but i don't see how it could enhance your life.

Flo_Evans said:

Hmm, what I would do is take her to the mall (if it has an Apple store) or one of the other retailers that will be selling the iPad. Casually walk to the iPad and see how she reacts. If she seems to like it then go for the iPad otherwise just go for a netbook.

elitehebrew said:
What is the purpose of this thing? I read all its abilities on their website, but to me its just a waste of money and not just a waste of money but a piece of shit. It looks very susceptible to damage and sure you can get a bunch of shit to protect it but its just a laptop with out the keyboard built on. I mean sure if your a millionaire and just wanna wast money on stupid shit sure.....but i don't see how it could enhance your life.
Nothing gets past you.

Zozz

Banned
you could have at least got some people pissed off before trolling to the max on the first post, lol.

elitehebrew said:

I have changed my mind completely on this product, thanks to your insight.

mehdi_san

So happy that all models were confirmed for late April in so many countries (yes Japan is in the list!!!!). I will be getting the wifi only 32gb. I got hyped today by watching this (very old) video of what reading magazines will become like with such devices. Can't wait for late April to come !!!

http://kotaku.com/5486729/the-first-ever-gloriously-big-gloriously-detailed-shots-of-an-ipad-game/gallery/

Today, though, Secret Exit is showing off their iPad version of popular iPhone game Zen Bound. Zen Bound 2 is described as "both a sequel and a revision" of the original for the iPad. The new game will include new levels, more music, new kinds of gameplay and much more detailed graphics.

"The graphical fidelity on the iPad far improves on the critically acclaimed visuals of the first game - the surfaces are brimming with detail, vivid colors and subdued tones," according to the press release.

Looking at this pictures, I have to agree. The game is expected to hit around the same time as the April 3 release of the iPad.

500x_zb2_06-1000.jpg

500x_zb2_03-1000.jpg

Flo_Evans

entrement said:
Depends on her needs. If she needs to do a lot of typing, I wouldn't get an iPad.

I might get one mostly as a portable browsing device at home. The media and ebook capabilities are also nice. I use my iPhone at home for the same purpose, but a bigger screen is going to be much nicer.

Well she loves her blackberry and kinda hates the iphone... but she is always asking to borrow the iphone to check facebook. I think she might be kind of pissed she can't hook up her digital camera and upload pics to facebook (maybe you can with the SD card reader dongle though?)

bionic77

My father is computer illiterate but knows how to use an iPhone.

I am thinking of getting him one of these if he likes it once they work out the bugs. I am still believer in waiting a month or two when Apple introduces a new product.

Pristine_Condition said:
I have changed my mind completely on this product, thanks to your insight.

Yeah?! cool. next...

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Nothing gets past you.

I just wanted to express how i felt about it. I'm not so caught up on having the newest gadgets and just don't really see the appeal. People complain about being broke but they will be damned if they don't have the newest phone or ipod...Just kinda lame to me.

Maybe I just have a different view on where my money should go. (EX. Travel, Future, and fun with friends)

mehdi_san

LovingSteam said:
http://kotaku.com/5486729/the-first-ever-gloriously-big-gloriously-detailed-shots-of-an-ipad-game/gallery/

Today, though, Secret Exit is showing off their iPad version of popular iPhone game Zen Bound. Zen Bound 2 is described as "both a sequel and a revision" of the original for the iPad. The new game will include new levels, more music, new kinds of gameplay and much more detailed graphics.

"The graphical fidelity on the iPad far improves on the critically acclaimed visuals of the first game - the surfaces are brimming with detail, vivid colors and subdued tones," according to the press release.

Looking at this pictures, I have to agree. The game is expected to hit around the same time as the April 3 release of the iPad.

This is sooo bought on day one! This thread is making the wait unbearable !!

elitehebrew said:
I just wanted to express how i felt about it. I'm not so caught up on having the newest gadgets and just don't really see the appeal. People complain about being broke but they will be damned if they don't have the newest phone or ipod...Just kinda lame to me.

Maybe I just have a different view on where my money should go. (EX. Travel, Future, and fun with friends)
Thanks for the lecture. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom