• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, pulling photos off a camera is probably the most obvious and practical answer..

BUT.. I really like the idea of syncing an iPod with the iPad. 64gigs [or 32 or 16] really isn't much space to have for your music's "homebase," but once you up to a 128 gigs or something it becomes less of a ridiculous idea.

LCfiner

RubxQub said:
Hmph...I got nothing. :(

Sucks to be you guys I guess? I don't know! :lol

I'm considering restoring my ipad from scratch and then manually adding all my apps again. I feel there's some weirdness going on with my backups.

I would like to hear from other comiczeal owners who have libraries on the iPad greater than 1 GB. if you delete a couple comics from the device, does the next iTunes backup take a long time?

LCfiner said:
I'm considering restoring my ipad from scratch and then manually adding all my apps again. I feel there's some weirdness going on with my backups.

I would like to hear from other comiczeal owners who have libraries on the iPad greater than 1 GB. if you delete a couple comics from the device, does the next iTunes backup take a long time?
apple has a phone number. this is one of those times where you should call it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Jtwo said:
Well, pulling photos off a camera is probably the most obvious and practical answer..

BUT.. I really like the idea of syncing an iPod with the iPad. 64gigs [32 or 16] really isn't much space to have for your music's "homebase," but once you up to a 128 gigs or something it becomes less of a ridiculous idea.
I think Apple acknowledges this by selling that camera adapter which in turn kind of adds USB functionality.

The problem with adding a USB port to the device is probably more centered around managing expectations (or controlling inputs). If you tack on a USB port people are going to assume you can do USB port things to it...like support any/all thumbdrives...hook a printer up to it...charge other USB devices...internet tether...etc etc. By not including one at all, it doesn't give anyone the false expectation that the device can do those things. They've already got a single point of connection for the device and I imagine they want to keep it that way for simplicity (and so they can make you buy adapters if you really have special needs).

One part design, one part evil would be my guess.

I still believe that the huge backup is a bug that Apple has no idea about...

It has hit me three times on iphone or ipad over the last few years, each time after an update in firmware to either my PC or one of the devices. Then the only thing that fixes it is another update to either the PC or one of the devices.

The core of the problem must be in iTunes though, so I think the only thing that will fix it for good is a complete rebuild from the ground up of iTunes - which is something Apple should do anyway.

For those with the problem, my only recommendation is try to limited your syncing until Apple release the next iTunes or iPad update... your problem will then be fixed, and someone else will probably have got it for no apparent reason!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they can do an integrated SDcard slot or something then.
For a lot of people, myself included, an adapter is something not even worth talking about because of how ridiculous it is. Same with syncing with iPhoto. I would like to have my photos on an iPad, but It's not important enough to have to jump through hoops to get.

Blackhead

Redarse
LCfiner said:

It's definitely the documents. I remove the files first (the 6GB of comics and 1GB of fonts and the prime culprits) whenever I decide to backup and it shortens the process from 4+ hrs to less than 1 hr. It's a real waste of space and time when those documents are included in backup, I can't imagine what Apple was thinking when they instituted that for the iPad. Nobody uses the iPad/iWorks as their sole storage space.

Jtwo said:
Maybe they can do an integrated SDcard slot or something then. For a lot of people, myself included, an adapter is something not even worth talking about because of how ridiculous it is. Same with syncing with iPhoto. I would like to have my photos on an iPad, but It's not important enough to have to jump through hoops to get.
What about wireless syncing? Say Bluetooth data transfer (which my cousins crappy '07 WindowsMobile phone has :/)?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wireless syncing would be really cool. Especially over wifi.
At this point though, that seems even more in the realm of fantasy than an SD card slot.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Jtwo said:
Maybe they can do an integrated SDcard slot or something then.
For a lot of people, myself included, an adapter is something not even worth talking about because of how ridiculous it is. Same with syncing with iPhoto. I would like to have my photos on an iPad, but It's not important enough to have to jump through hoops to get.
It's definitely one of those "if you play by our rules, everything works nice and seamlessly" type things.

My normal workflow involves syncing to my Mac Mini through iPhoto, uploading to Facebook/Flickr from iPhoto, then syncing to the iPad through iTunes....cause that's how I roll!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm more of a manually managed folders in finder kind of guy.

japtor

RubxQub said:
You mean like hook a pair of speakers into the auxiliary jack?
Yeah, but through USB you'll theoretically get better audio quality (digital connection to the speakers with whatever digital-analog conversion through external means rather than in the iPad).
Charred Greyface said:
It's a real waste of space and time when those documents are included in backup, I can't imagine what Apple was thinking when they instituted that for the iPad. Nobody uses the iPad/iWorks as their sole storage space.
On the other hand if you have a bunch of documents in there and your iPad gets hosed it's a lot more convenient to just restore from the backup instead of restoring then finding and getting all those documents again.

That said I think there's a way to exclude stuff from backup so the devs with huge storage folders should look into that (like the CZ dev) and make it optional if possible.

Prez

Another thing about the USB-drive: you'd be able to connect an external hard drive.

To me the iPad would be a more practical alternative to a laptop, since all I need a laptop for is music oriented, nothing else. I don't watch videos and I use my desktop for internet and word processing. A netbook would be less suitable because of the start-up times.

So for my personal use the iPad has nothing more to offer than say an iPod Touch. I guess I'll just look into that then.

LCfiner said:

Yes. I don't even backup anymore, just click the X and skip to the sync. It still transfers any purchases and such just fine.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stabbie said:
Another thing about the USB-drive: you'd be able to connect an external hard drive.

To me the iPad would be a more practical alternative to a laptop, since all I need a laptop for is music oriented, nothing else. I don't watch videos and I use my desktop for internet and word processing. A netbook would be less suitable because of the start-up times.

So for my personal use the iPad has nothing more to offer than say an iPod Touch. I guess I'll just look into that then.

You could always just keep the music you're not actively listening to on your home computer and stream it when you need to listen to it, but I don't think a tablet or laptop is ever going to beat an mp3 player; I'd get an iPod Classic if I were you.

LCfiner said:

This is a known issue with ComicZeal, I haven't backed up my iPad in months because I've got 4 gigs of comics.

Prez

Stumpokapow said:
You could always just keep the music you're not actively listening to on your home computer and stream it when you need to listen to it, but I don't think a tablet or laptop is ever going to beat an mp3 player; I'd get an iPod Classic if I were you.

I don't need more than 16GB though, so flash memory seems good enough.

LCfiner

thanks for the replies guys about comiczeal libraries, confirming my suspicions.

I skip all backups nowadays except the mandatory ones before OS updates.

LCfiner said:
thanks for the replies guys about comiczeal libraries, confirming my suspicions.

I skip all backups nowadays except the mandatory ones before OS updates.

Just another reason for me to stick to Cloudreader, really. (Though I fully admit it does have the occasional "long" update, long has never been more than 20mins, whereas I clocked 3+hrs the one time I tried to load up comiczeal. Probably some combo of comiczeal problem and iTunes backup issue.)

EDIT: The most annoying thing about iTunes for me now is that you cannot change the backup directory location. Even on a small SSD, iTunes demands to go in the users folder and that's that. i4 + iPad backups = lots of space, so get ready to start using mklink! :(

i got sonorasaurus rex just to see what it was like, and i'm actually kind of amazed.

ipad-app-review-touchosc-sonorasaurus-rex-pic-4.jpg

it's a DJ application with a really nice interface, and it gets over the problem of having only one audio output by either splitting the signal so that you can listen and output two separate mono signals, or just by letting you see the waveforms. beatmatching is totally doable, though obviously a little tricky, and there are lots of nice features like different crossfade curves and BPM tapping.

i might try using it next time i play a set - i'll have to look into the best way to hook it up to a club's system, or if it's even possible. i think it's really cool for the kind of stuff i do, though (i.e. not 3 hour beautifully matched minimal techno epics), and i'd sure as hell rather use it than a laptop. i'll have to see how the performance holds up when there's more than just a few tracks loaded into memory.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Sorry to keep harping on about this shit, but Reeder...

I had an update that apparently fixed the scrolling bug but, it didn't. I even deleted the app and synced it across again, no dice.

Just want to be sure it's not just my iPad being busted, because the update should have taken care of this ball ache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom