• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Art of Final Fantasy VII: An Interview with Yoshitaka Amano

DKHF

Damn just looking through the oral history article now, this looks like an amazing read. Looking forward to reading it. They even got a big interview between Kitase and Nomura after they presented at PSX 2015.

Sakujou

Banned
the game/anime with amano as the art director was never finished, right?

i really would have loved to see such a game in the ps2 era, but i think nowadays this would be too quirky/too artsy...

edit: wow, so much to read on polygon, heads up to leone!

mattp

matt leone continues to be the best games features writer on the internet

this is fucking great

Man... Amano is absolutely one of my favorite people. His style tends to be divisive among many hardcore FF faithful, but the man is a true treasure of an artistic mind to me.

I got deeply into his work with Final Fantasy VI and was initially disappointed when the first news/media of FFVII released and his work was nowhere to be found. US-based GameFan magazine (who had outstanding production coverage of FFVII from Spring '96 until the Japanese release) mentioned that Amano was still on board, but all the art coming out was Nomura's.

It was just about 20 years ago from now that GameFan had another one of their multi-page VII updates and finally included this image:

aPuJ3PP.jpg

I got so irrationally excited just seeing this- and it remains my favorite Amano piece from FFVII.
Final Fantasy was about to take a massive leap - but the familiar comfort of Amano's work was just a great feeling.

Happy 30th to Final Fantasy (and 20th for VII). Can't wait for whatever event they have going down on the 31st. :)

Sami+

Wow this is a great read. Still going through it.

Nintendo were fucking VICIOUS back then.

Edit- didn't see the other thread rip

Joqu

Oh that video was great. <3 Amano

Looking forward to going though that article now. Gonna take me a while huh.

mortal

Gold Member
I love Amano so much, he continues to inspire me.

Please Square Enix, contract him to work on a numbered Final Fantasy as a character designer again. Hell, even an art director.

Top Bottom