• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Art of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (spoilers)

Weiss

Banned
I prefer the old moon, but MM3D genuinely made Termina feel more alive and vibrant than ever.

If it wasn't for the crap swimming it would be the perfect way to play Majora's Mask.

In particular I fear half the appeal of the rather bizarre looking NPCs would be lost upgrading the visuals in a big way, there's something so charmingly N64 about them all.

Then you've got NPCs from TP which were just terrifying more often than not.

There's also the part where the re-use of the NPC models from the far more pleasant OoT went a long way to creating the discomfort you found all across Termina. These are familiar faces - at least to people who played OoT, which is likely a large percentage of Majora's Mask players - with tenser backgrounds and more distraught personalities. Sure, you can chalk it up to the game's roots as an Ocarina of Time expansion, but I think MM would lose something if everything was built from scratch.

Though I guess they could re-use the models from Zelda U for a similar effect.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Seeing these screenshots makes me feel that I didn't appreciate how good this game looked enough.

Really nice shots OP.

I got excited because I thought there would be an artbook of MM, but this ended up being just as nice, amazing work dude.

Can't wait for 3DS emulation to be fully functional, imagine all of this in full HD *o*

MAzvtLQ.jpg

84964-Clay-Davis-SHIT-gif-The-Wire-RwqT.gif

Looks too good. Might be my favorite location in all of gaming.

Inside the moon is one of the coolest locations I've ever gone to in a video game. It's so surreal, I love it
Really nice shots, op

BunkerStar

Neo Member

Might as well start my NeoGAF posting history in a thread for a game that originally made me register to this forum, with a post that contains a picture of my favourite scene in all of gaming.

Thanks DeviousAngel for these pictures, they are absolutely amazing.

Now, seeing the reaction for this picture in here makes me feel really good. I thought I was the only one who had a special place in my heart for this location. I wonder what is it about this scene inside the moon that makes it so special for us?

I just love this game to death. Feels nice to see MM on the "front page". Thank you for the thread.

As for the question, yes, I think Grezzo did an amazing job with the game. Playing the remake filled me with the same wonder I had for the game as a kid and I was shocked at the level of detail at the first temple already. I think the additional touches made immersion easier but I still do have a soft spot for the original graphics. Then again, back then I had a better imagination.

Yeah the inside of the moon was definitely of the highlights of the game for me. So unexpected and so magical. What made me super happy about the remake is that pretty much everything inside the moon was revamped almost entirely. The Twinmold chamber and Majora's chamber are just ridiculously beautiful, if only to be seen for a few minutes in the entire game. SO much love....

Beautiful shots wow. While I also prefer the old moon, and the old swimming, everything else about MM3D was perfection. Couldn't get over how good it looked, especially. Even better than OoT 3D which was gorgeous too.

Molemitts

This game is so beautiful. For one of the smallest Zelda games it has so much environmental variety. Reminding me of how much I like it, it's like top 5 of all time and now I want to play it again.

Metal B

So yeah, it's the one change i didn't like about the 3D version. And that's kinda bad because the Moon is ever present and it was so creepy in the original version.

And that's why it's worse. It looks too silly and not creepy at all.

With the right angle, like in this picture, the moon looks much more creeper then on the N64. It doesn't work as good with close ups of the moon, since the N64 had a smaller face (which looks goofy in another way).

The only problem is the expression of the 3D version. He looks too manic. In the N64 version his expression isn't very clear. He can look manic or in panic, like he also doesn't want to hit the planet.

These pics look amazing. Maybe I should grab this game.

New Moon looks something like this

bc122715ce0d5a5e14dfee4610656b38_L.jpg

So yeah, it's the one change i didn't like about the 3D version. And that's kinda bad because the Moon is ever present and it was so creepy in the original version.

And that's why it's worse. It looks too silly and not creepy at all.

Knock off Madballs? for shame. He does look exactly like one though. Not like a moon at all.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
It's really a wonderful remake. I finished it 100% for the first time earlier this year and now I feel like playing through it again. Great shots!

PtM

Banned
I feel Grezzo missed the chance to give this game full black shading as there is in the original artwork. Instead Nintendo changed the art style. :/

Molemitts

The only problem is the expression of the 3D version. He looks too manic. In the N64 version his expression isn't very clear. He can look manic or in panic, like he also doesn't want to hit the planet.

Yeah I agree, it's my only complaint about the model changes in MM3D, The Moon. In N64 his emotions are more ambiguous, which suits the mysteriousness of the game. What is the moon feeling, is he angry? Does he want to destroy Termina? Is he in pain? Is he sad? Is the Skullkid just forcing him to crash down? Maybe the moon is scarred. But now he's just clearly angry, which kind of ruins it, for me.

He's a moon who wants to destroy a town by crashing into it

How do we know the moon wants to destroy Clocktown? This is the doing of Majora after all.

Nerrel

I love what Grezzo did with the visuals, especially when it comes to the newly added assets. What set this game apart from OoT3D was how often they added in new foliage or detail work that was never there in the original, like the overgrowth on the way to the swamp or the forest at the exit from the ranch. The Snowhead area in particular looked miles ahead of the original.

That said, the original looks surprisingly great in GlideN64 per pixel lighting and bloom:
18602144218_c9119aa392_o.jpg

The 3D Remake is the definitive version of Majoras Mask, no doubt about it, saying anything else would be like offending the hard work of Grezzo and Nintendo in making this gorgeous handheld remake.

If you're talking about only the visuals, sure, but MM3D made some really shitty gameplay changes that will always keep it from being the definitive version.

Great thread OP. Didn't realize how much MM3D improved visually despite being stuck on the 3DS.

I may even have to grab a copy and get every mask again. Wish I hadn't destroyed my GC disc.

I forgot how beautiful this game looked. I still need to finish the 3DS version. This thread inspired me to finish it. Thank you OP.

Also fuck that moon, still creepy as shit. At least I do not have nightmares about that moon like when I was a kid.

It's really a wonderful remake. I finished it 100% for the first time earlier this year and now I feel like playing through it again. Great shots!

Great thread OP. Didn't realize how much MM3D improved visually despite being stuck on the 3DS.

I may even have to grab a copy and get every mask again. Wish I hadn't destroyed my GC disc.

I forgot how beautiful this game looked. I still need to finish the 3DS version. This thread inspired me to finish it. Thank you OP.

Also fuck that moon, still creepy as shit. At least I do not have nightmares about that moon like when I was a kid.

That's the spirit! My job is done haha.

There are a couple of aesthetic changes I wasn't fond of (observatory is less dream like, area under Clock Tower is less grimy, purple swamp changed to red), but in general they did a fantastic job. I was gonna be picky about it from the start due to my attachment to the subtle aesthetics of Majora's Mask and was really impressed by how much they improved it without loosing the original feel.

Rich!

Made some more. Honestly if it didn't take so damn long to go through miiverse I'd do this for more games.

jkDNNlH.jpg

gw9R3Ph.jpg

QSeqW5c.jpg

If you have access to homebrew, all you need to do is press HOME to save a screenshot to the SD card directly as a *.PNG via the new loader.

VARIA

Dude these panoramic shots are so good.
MAzvtLQ.jpg

One of those moments in gaming you never forget when you first see this place.

Most definitely. I remember the jaw drop when I first landed there. I had no idea what I was in for when I went to the moon… or even that I'd be headed there when the scene started…

Definitely one of the most memorable moments in gaming ever for me as well. Just a shocking contrast to the encounter before it. A beautiful peaceful vista with an eerie undertone.

If you have access to homebrew, all you need to do is press HOME to save a screenshot to the SD card directly as a *.PNG via the new loader.

Wow I really should consider... it just sucks I have to use homebrew to access this feature more easily

Grezzo did a great job. The retexturing work in the remake ended up being quite beautiful.

I remember stopping to admire the textures even in just simple locations, like the Deku Butler's maze behind the Deku Palace. They added lots of extra little detail to the walls that weren't there in the original.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The photos in this thread are stunning. Nicely done, OP.

I hope Nintendo implements something like the share button on PS4 in their new hardware.

Nintendo has kiiiind of done this already with Miiverse and social media uploads (depending on the game), but they did have those extra steps of Home > Miiverse > Post. I'm not sure Nintendo would want to do a full-on "copy" of Sony's idea, but I bet they're thinking about it since they've talked about how important social media has been to some of their games. Maybe we'll get a Miiverse or My Nintendo button that also gives you the option of sharing to social media.

Persona7

Banned
The photos in this thread are stunning. Nicely done, OP.

Nintendo has kiiiind of done this already with Miiverse and social media uploads (depending on the game), but they did have those extra steps of Home > Miiverse > Post. I'm not sure Nintendo would want to do a full-on "copy" of Sony's idea, but I bet they're thinking about it since they've talked about how important social media has been to some of their games. Maybe we'll get a Miiverse or My Nintendo button that also gives you the option of sharing to social media.

The miiverse thing is good but sometimes I just want to take a quick screenshot and mess with it later. The share button on PS4 doesn't do this by default but you can set it up to take a screenshot with one button press. Some 3DS games have this feature but I would like to see it as a system wide function.

fernoca

The miiverse thing is good but sometimes I just want to take a quick screenshot and mess with it later. The share button on PS4 doesn't do this by default but you can set it up to take a screenshot with one button press.
There's also: Home, Open browser, upload to imgur/whatever.
Or...
Home, Miiverse, Save to Album.

A share button would be great though and faster obviously. Maybe next year with the option to save to a cloud, another one to upload pictures to a cloud would be nice.

Plus they registered a bunch of things around recording gameplay/achievements, so they're working on a new twist to things.

Neiteio

I hope Nintendo implements something like the share button on PS4 in their new hardware.
The PS4's Share button is brilliant. Probably my favorite feature in a current-gen console. Being able to save the last 15 minutes of gameplay at the tap of a button, and then edit it as you see fit later, is so convenient. I was able to share my Bloodborne and DS2 boss battles with ease.

nkarafo

Yeah that's what i like about the original moon. It doesn't look like it has a purpose or intelligence. Also, the stare is completely lifeless, which makes it even creepier and kinda make sense. A moon is supposedly a celestial object orbiting around the planet for billions of years. It's just a huge rock that some other intelligence caused it to crash onto Termina. It doesn't care. It's not a person. It's just possessed.

The new Moon looks like a character with purpose and intelligence of it's own. Doesn't look like a mindless possessed thing. Also it's face gives me a "boooo, im gonna get you if you don't eat your launch" kind of vibe. It also reminds me of Freddy Kruger a bit, which doesn't help because he always was a somewhat comedic character and not as serious as other horror villains. But most importantly, it doesn't look like a spherical celestial object which is the whole point of a moon? It looks like a giant face of some guy who suffered some burns.

Now look at this:

See how it doesn't even look directly at the ground below you. It has a completely lifeless expression, divide of any emotion and it's eyes are directed to the beyond or something. It looks like something that is driven by an unknown force, thus it can't be reasoned or hear your screams and pleas and you know it won't stop until you find the source of that force, which is the whole point of the game.

Last picture for a bit since work is getting in the way. This one took a while since I was constantly bombarded by attacks. As a result it also has a lot of little imperfections (lot of extra skylights lol) but I guess on the whole it looks ok. It's also not technically a legit shot since the pic of Majora was taken after the boss masks died, hence they shouldn't be up on the wall: call it artistic liberty. I managed to get Majora almost centered but I ran out of patience lol

qUlh9qe.png

Interestingly enough I just realized that Odolwa's mask and Goht's mask are switched... I would have put Odolwa on green and Goht on red, also progressing chronologically from right to left.

Astral Dog

Yeah that's what i like about the original moon. It doesn't look like it has a purpose or intelligence. Also, the stare is completely lifeless, which makes it even creepier and kinda make sense. A moon is supposedly a celestial object orbiting around the planet for billions of years. It's just a huge rock that some other intelligence caused it to crash onto Termina. It doesn't care. It's not a person. It's just possessed.

The new Moon looks like a character with purpose and intelligence of it's own. Doesn't look like a mindless possessed thing. Also it's face gives me a "boooo, im gonna get you if you don't eat your launch" kind of vibe. It also reminds me of Freddy Kruger a bit, which doesn't help because he always was a somewhat comedic character and not as serious as other horror villains. But most importantly, it doesn't look like a spherical celestial object which is the whole point of a moon? It looks like a giant face of some guy who suffered some burns.

Now look at this:

See how it doesn't even look directly at the ground below you. It has a completely lifeless expression, divide of any emotion and it's eyes are directed to the beyond or something. It looks like something that is driven by an unknown force, thus it can't be reasoned or hear your screams and pleas and you know it won't stop until you find the source of that force, which is the whole point of the game.
But thats probably the impression given due to technical limitations 😕
Is there official art of the Moon? Maybe they based it on that

This thread really reminds me that I need to get Majora Mask 3D. The original was the very first game that I'd ever own. Dat Gold cartridge thooo

Top Bottom